Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The only games I really truly notice a framerate above 60 are in crazy movement games like Rocket League, and even that feels more like a ‘control’ thing rather than like an actual graphical fidelity thing (someone smarter than me can probably explain whatever that effect is.) (Civ) Flight sim for me is a “get to a comfortable minimum that you don’t notice the FPS with the best resolution/graphics you can.” My personal “don’t really notice” for flight sim seems like it’s ~40fps at landing. It gets super noticeably choppy at lower frames, but granted I haven’t played a ton in busy, landscape heavy airports in cities in a very long time so maybe they’ve fixed some of those “game runs like poo poo on final and landing” hangups.

e: also God’s one true flat gaming monitor for a normal desk setup is 27in, 1440p, 144hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

e: also God’s one true flat gaming monitor for a normal desk setup is 27in, 1440p, 144hz.

In seriousness, a big part of sensation of flight is from perceiving the horizon. In an ultrawide there's far more of it available, and it also helps with hovering with helicopters to gauge the movement in a 3d space. Ultrawides reign supreme in this field.

Here you can see some horizon movement in BFV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtSMXzCwIuQ&t=103s

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 28, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

In seriousness, a big part of sensation of flight is from perceiving the horizon. In an ultrawide there's far more of it available, and it also helps with hovering with helicopters to gauge the movement in a 3d space. Ultrawides reign supreme in this field.

Here you can see some horizon movement in BFV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtSMXzCwIuQ&t=103s

You might be right but my fingers are in my ears and I’m saying lalala really loud so I don’t buy things I don’t explicitly need.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Vahakyla posted:

What kind of monitors are you planning?

I dare say that if flatscreen is your desired path, nothing beats 34 inch ultrawide 1440p monitor for flight simming, and they can be had for 250-350 bux nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-34-I...ps%2C112&sr=8-3

loving 240 dollars, 3440x1440, 165hz, 34 inch, curvy boi.

That's a VA panel though, right? Maybe they've gotten good, but I've never seen a VA panel I liked.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Just buy this:
57" Odyssey Neo G9 Dual 4K UHD Quantum Mini-LED 240Hz 1ms(GtG) HDR 1000 Curved Gaming Monitor

That's end game monitor IMO. Only way it could be better is if it was OLED. But Mini-LED is pretty good.
That will last you for many many years. After that point VR is your only option.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 28, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

who has the desk space for that thing? I use a 42" lg c2 for 4k gaming on pc and it feels a lot to handle

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Why not buy a TV at that point? Semi-serious question.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Vengarr posted:

Why not buy a TV at that point? Semi-serious question.

Because a TV isn't going to give you the aspect ratio and resolution of that monitor?
This monitor is made for flight sims and racing sims.

A big 40+" tv wastes a lot of vertical space in a racing/flight sim that an ultrawide doesn't. But that's just my opinion.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…also, TVs make for horrid monitors since they are commonly shock-full of “smart” post-processing and “image enhancement” features that ruin the quality in just about every way conceivable at once — colour representation, contrast, and the less said about motion smoothing and other disastrous methods the better.

There's also this horrid tendency where, the cheaper the monitor, the more of that junk there is and the less control you have over it as a user.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

for like most of my life i would agree but the c2 switches the port to PC input and eliminates all the bad poo poo and makes an amazing gaming monitor. i'd still prefer to get a smaller 4k oled if the market got its poo poo together. 1440p has way more options available but I didn't get a 4090 for nothing. but I didn't buy the tv specifically for flight sim so I have nothing to add about aspect ratio. except flight sim looks insanely good on it, particularly flying at night, and the high res and size does make the gauges more readable

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

ethanol posted:

for like most of my life i would agree but the c2 switches the port to PC input and eliminates all the bad poo poo and makes an amazing gaming monitor. i'd still prefer to get a smaller 4k oled if the market got its poo poo together. 1440p has way more options available but I didn't get a 4090 for nothing. but I didn't buy the tv specifically for flight sim so I have nothing to add about aspect ratio. except flight sim looks insanely good on it, particularly flying at night, and the high res and size does make the gauges more readable

Alienware is coming out with a 16:9 32" 4k QD-OLED next year FYI. But it's going to cost basically the same amount as your C2 probably cost.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 28, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

Alienware is coming out with a 16:9 32" QD-OLED next year FYI.

perfect thats right about when i expect to have burn in problems for using this OLED tv as a pc monitor

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Not really a "games" post, but: Christ, Redbird is poo poo. Our sim failed Transport Canada recertification due to some truly weird software issues, and it just boggles the mind that they after what has to be at least 10 years, they can't get this piece of poo poo to reliably do flight sim things. Of course, MSFS still can't do most of those things either because Asobo sniffed glue before they designed their weather system.

They didn't even explore the truly gruesome functionality errors in the simulated GNS530 or G1000.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Not really a "games" post, but: Christ, Redbird is poo poo. Our sim failed Transport Canada recertification due to some truly weird software issues, and it just boggles the mind that they after what has to be at least 10 years, they can't get this piece of poo poo to reliably do flight sim things. Of course, MSFS still can't do most of those things either because Asobo sniffed glue before they designed their weather system.

They didn't even explore the truly gruesome functionality errors in the simulated GNS530 or G1000.

I maintained the currency on ours at my old job and it was decent enough as long as you didn't use the autopilot, which was notorious for putting you into a 60° steep turn in trying to pick up the localizer on one of the local approaches.

It was also missing 18R/36L at CVG and didn't take into account the relocated 28L/10R at CMH, lack of an easy scenery update being a notable deficiency.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
To circle back around to the payware planes discussion again:

Am I missing out on anything, besides quicker updates, by buying planes off the marketplace vs direct from the publisher?
Also it seems some planes are just not available in the marketplace at all, like the TBM 850 for example.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

xgalaxy posted:

Am I missing out on anything, besides quicker updates, by buying planes off the marketplace vs direct from the publisher?
Also it seems some planes are just not available in the marketplace at all, like the TBM 850 for example.

The marketplace is a new thing, still. Flight sims worked on 3rd party stores for decades and some companies will still prefer to sell directly. Also, MS takes a cut from the marketplace sales, so some companies don't want to sell there.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I prefer to not use the marketplace. Particularly since they've shown a willingness to cut off the current version and move to a new one in 2024.

This is just my own vibes though. The marketplace hasn't really done anything to me to warrant this, and I'm already used to the idea of having to do maintenance on flight sims by running 2 or 3 different updaters before I've even touched the game.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

skooma512 posted:

Particularly since they've shown a willingness to cut off the current version and move to a new one in 2024.

where have they shown this?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

the milk machine posted:

where have they shown this?

They haven't. ETA: I was being a little dramatic.

2024 hasn't been released of course, and they've made overtures that everything will transition. Just don't know what that'll mean at release, let alone years down the line.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 30, 2023

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

The big thing for me is that the Marketplace is slow to update compared to the developers.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My new favorite thing is to fly the helicopter low altitude over the places that have quality scenery in VR. Spent two hours flying over my old schools and homes which are modeled with good detail and accuracy since its in southern california.

They're putting everything in MSFS 2024. All they need is the Goodyear blimp. And it should say Ice Cube's A Pimp.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

The marketplace updates slower, and has some odd restrictions on visible weapons, so airplanes like the FlyingIron Spitfire have the guns removed from the visual model, and anything with external stores is limited to fuel tanks only.

Developers have figured out that Asobo doesn't seem to care if they release a free "add the weapons back" addon elsewhere online to fix that, but obviously that approach could change.

The other annoying part of the marketplace is that it encrypts all of the .cfg files on aircraft sold there, which helps slow down piracy, but also means it's impossible for people to get into them to tweak flight models and stuff, so you're 100% relying on the developers to fix things.

That said, if an airplane is also sold outside the marketplace, those same files aren't encrypted, so people can (and do) use those to make changes that'll also apply to the Marketplace version.

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.
Anyone posted about Legendary Pilots yet? An upcoming sim-lite that might be worth keeping an eye on.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Getoutnow posted:

Anyone posted about Legendary Pilots yet? An upcoming sim-lite that might be worth keeping an eye on.

Nope, looks neat, wishlisted

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I want to get a liveries pack, to replace the generic looking planes on the ground, not so much for my own plane.

Would I see more grounded jets at airports using addon liveries if I bought them for the boeing or airbus jets?

I also found out about the fsltl addon but I dont know if I want to try it since my performance in VR is just barely acceptable and a 10fps hit would be too much for me. I know since its free I could just try it but im hesitant i’ll end up in a situation where I need to reinstall the game. And thats over 200 gigs and my home internet has a data cap.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

I want to get a liveries pack, to replace the generic looking planes on the ground, not so much for my own plane.

Would I see more grounded jets at airports using addon liveries if I bought them for the boeing or airbus jets?

I also found out about the fsltl addon but I dont know if I want to try it since my performance in VR is just barely acceptable and a 10fps hit would be too much for me. I know since its free I could just try it but im hesitant i’ll end up in a situation where I need to reinstall the game. And thats over 200 gigs and my home internet has a data cap.

AIG is probably the best option for airline type AI traffic currently, and you can pick and choose what airlines or regions you want to install.

It's not the most user-friendly thing in the beginning (and requires you to run a separate application outside MSFS), but it's pretty customizable, and you can change how much traffic it adds to avoid massive FPS hits.

AIG doesn't do anything to change the pants-on-head stupid ATC, so you'll still have those airplanes doing dumb stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Getoutnow posted:

Ooooh this looks really cool! I love it. Put that on my wishlist.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

skooma512 posted:

They haven't. ETA: I was being a little dramatic.

2024 hasn't been released of course, and they've made overtures that everything will transition. Just don't know what that'll mean at release, let alone years down the line.

In the latest dev Q&A they mentioned that SU15 will include some physics improvements (notably, fuselages will have some flex now instead of being completely rigid, which apparently has a dramatic impact on ground handling) backported from 2024.

There's a lot more evidence that they're going to continue to support and improve 2020 than there is that they're going to EoL it immediately upon release of 2024, but that hasn't stopped most of the community from assuming that's what's going to happen.

simble
May 11, 2004

azflyboy posted:

AIG is probably the best option for airline type AI traffic currently, and you can pick and choose what airlines or regions you want to install.

It's not the most user-friendly thing in the beginning (and requires you to run a separate application outside MSFS), but it's pretty customizable, and you can change how much traffic it adds to avoid massive FPS hits.

AIG doesn't do anything to change the pants-on-head stupid ATC, so you'll still have those airplanes doing dumb stuff.

FSLTL is much easier to install and I think overall better.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ChocNitty posted:

Flightsim.to has static aircraft packs for some airports that don't require any other add-ons. I have one for ATL and it works fairly well other than the typical two airplanes at a gate/weird liveries in weird places you get from the program to connect to VATSIM.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I put up a buy thread in SA mart in case anyone has a VKB Gladiator they want to get rid of.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048764

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Flightsim.to has static aircraft packs for some airports that don't require any other add-ons. I have one for ATL and it works fairly well other than the typical two airplanes at a gate/weird liveries in weird places you get from the program to connect to VATSIM.

I'll check it out. But it looks like using FSLTL's base models only is putting the liveries on the AI planes which is great. I tried the injector thing and it takes up too much performance, and I don't like losing the ID tags on commercial flights.

I got the improved ground textures for runways, but didn't notice a difference. I bought FSBirds to bring some birds into the sky, but I aint seein em in the region I bought it for. I guess they flew north for the winter.

But i'm just happy as poo poo that the game is finally running good in VR for me, and I didn't have to drop 2 grand on a 4090. The VDXR virtual desktop codec, and a Wifi 6e router made it work for my 3070.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i caved and got the a2a comanche, it's really great

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
VTOL VR are giving us stealth EW tomcats :radcat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8xNi9uU-e4

Well, "stealth", I see a lot of external stores. Also phoenixes

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The new SR22T is really well done. Except for the ground handling which... is mostly on the sim itself.

Hopefully the ground improvements they've previewed come soon (I think SU15 is the target).

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i took off in the spruce goose and was able to tour long beach at ~1000ft agl a bit before landing it again. much easier than the decaprio movie made it seem imo

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tippis posted:

…also, TVs make for horrid monitors since they are commonly shock-full of “smart” post-processing and “image enhancement” features that ruin the quality in just about every way conceivable at once — colour representation, contrast, and the less said about motion smoothing and other disastrous methods the better.

Just flat not true for all TVs.

LG OLED has hdmi 2.1, 120hz, hdr, G-sync, freesync, all of the motion features can be turned off easy across all inputs. And the calibration potential makes it a far more accurate and better in terms of color representation than a lot of monitors.

The size, dimension, and viewing distance complaints are completely valid. I wouldn’t want to flight sim on it just for ergonomics but if I had a dedicated sim pit it would be beautiful.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

sellouts posted:

Just flat not true for all TVs.

LG OLED has hdmi 2.1, 120hz, hdr, G-sync, freesync, all of the motion features can be turned off easy across all inputs. And the calibration potential makes it a far more accurate and better in terms of color representation than a lot of monitors.

So, pretty much a confirmation of what I said, then…

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Tippis posted:

So, pretty much a confirmation of what I said, then…

That what you said can be turned off making them incredible monitors? Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you dont even need to turn them off anymore it detects pc input and sets accordingly so all the motion stuff etc is off