Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Endorph posted:

perhaps if all these people came out, together, this guy could have been exposed earlier

nah better to bitch in our discords

Y'know shootings would never happen if men stopped being wusses and just teamed up to take down the shooter. This is the problem in today's society, smdh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Endorph posted:

perhaps if all these people came out, together, this guy could have been exposed earlier

idiot

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ariong posted:

My one big criticism is that after a certain point he really didn't need to do a side-by-side comparison showing the specific article stolen from for the tenth time.

On the contrary, he absolutely did need to do that. If he skipped even one, then the disingenuous, unscrupulous shits he's going after would lift that single clip out of context and weasel around inside it, impugning his work and trying to hollow out enough space to cram in some reasonable doubt.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
stealing forum posts is badass

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Fil5000 posted:

stealing forum posts is badass

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
poo poo you did the joke better

gently caress

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I'll just wait for Down the Rabbit Hole to do Hbomb's plagerism documentary but much worse with the same lines.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Saagonsa posted:

drat another L for Attack on Titan haters.

I think it's an Attack on Titan defense video actually, despite some of the articles it steals from hating it? :psyduck:

I hope this kills media literacy as a criticism buzzword until it's as dead as emotionally manipulative.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd never heard of this last fellow in the video until now, and his reputation is officialy dead as of the last few hours. Good riddance, but pity of the livelihoods he stole.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

I mean they did complain publicly, poo poo I think that James Sumerton is a Plagiarist article is still up and was linked in this thread beforehand. This thread knew! It's just surprisingly hard for that information to disseminate unless a popular figure comes down with the hammer of god and spends several hours removing any ambiguity about the situation.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

https://twitter.com/chloiscute_/status/1731235489825374704

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

"heartbroken that I've lost your trust" so as expected he's not sorry he did it, he's sorry he got caught doing it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah it's 100% just capitulation from the first, failed defense of "oh yeah those are old allegations I've covered already", so now he's on to the next "I apologize (but refuse to explain what I'm sorry about)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

He really wants to post a super heartfelt apology and promise to never plagiarize again but he's having a really hard time finding one a gay person has written already.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ariong posted:

He really wants to post a super heartfelt apology and promise to never plagiarize again but he's having a really hard time finding one a gay person has written already.

I bet he's got at least a video or two in the chamber that he really wants the money from but he needs enough people to accept his apology before he dares release it.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

anybody know what this is about?

No idea, I'm guessing (hoping) it's just bullshit because they don't like hbomb?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So what is the new Hbombvideo about?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's a five-hour and twenty-two minute Deus Ex retrospective.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

In short: An extensive deep-dive into the repeated and blatant plagiarism performed by several well-known content creators, with a special focus of half the video on a content creator who repeatedly plagiarized specifically LGBTQ creators.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Skippy McPants posted:

It's a five-hour and twenty-two minute Deus Ex retrospective.

Which is bullshit, since he promised the next video would be about DX : HR : Directors Cut

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 3, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yardbomb posted:

Internet historian has always given me extremely bad vibes so I hope they take this chance to just go away.
the only good video of theirs I've seen is The Engoodening Of No Man's Sky and it wouldn't surprise me if they just reworded someone else's work on that one too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

christ, i just think a bunch of people who knew could have maybe coordinated a callout about him or gone to someone with a bigger platform themselves. i get why they all didnt post individually but acting like there's literally nothing to be done until a guy with an arbitrarily higher youtube sub count unleashes divine judgment feels untrue.

i get why people were scared to, the 'better to bitch in discords' was way too snippy on my part, its just frustrating how often this same thing plays out, often with much worse things than plagiarism.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 3, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

he plagerized me

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

bird. posted:

Y'know shootings would never happen if men stopped being wusses and just teamed up to take down the shooter. This is the problem in today's society, smdh.

I'm on the fence about this because... yes, its not hard to see why a lot of people could have issues with some major figure screwing them over and using one's majorness from keeping the bs from coming to the surface is indeed a real threat, but I will frown at people from industries who witnessed it go full circle, and then react to very, very similar cases with "Well that's different, so shut up or I'll happily help on your blacklisting."

I'll be honest, I prefered how Hbomb handled AVGN than Lady Emily: She may have been more through with him, but she tried to pin James as a figure of criticism (on videogames at least) and not someone playing a character, which made a lot of the analysis feel offputting. I haven't watched the Boogie Doc, but it would have been like if there was earnest "Ok let's spent like, 20 to 30 minutes looking at Francis and trying to perceive him as someone with insight rather than a comedy character Boogie came up with". Hbomb centered the crit as someone who puts things online and highlighted the issues more straight forwardly, talking about the mechanics behind it without going into the territory other videos went to, being mostly "Well why does James Rolfe act less like a clown nearly 20 years later".

To pick an example: The last Jekyll N Mr Hyde video doesn't show anything really new with the game, you can just google the ending or check one of the relatively old "videogame humor" sites that had someone play thru it and see the weird creepy Mr Hyde ending. However, if you are following AVGN as a character, it works well! You finally see The Character defeat the videogame.

IH: Oh boy I am not looking forward to seeing someone trying to do a commentary youtube thing on that video. Not looking forward to the Critikal or Pyrocinical vid on that.

James: Do stay afterward if you wanna get a neat playlist of neat people to look into, and I'm so glad he started with Matt Baume.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
and i plagerized it from someone else

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i respect james rolfe

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

the only good video of theirs I've seen is The Engoodening Of No Man's Sky and it wouldn't surprise me if they just reworded someone else's work on that one too

The one on the Costa Concordia is really good too, and he did a video on the second channel where he talked about stuff he cut for time or that he felt like he hadn't explained well enough. A lot of it came from news reports or transcripts from phone calls and black box recordings (or whatever the naval equivalent is) but it certainly seemed like a bunch of research being pulled together, but God knows now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He used to do videos that just recounted popular internal happenings of the late aughts and early teens, hence the channel name.

It's entirely possible he did the Costa Concordia thing and a couple of other longer videos and then ran out of ideas and just got lazy.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Captain Invictus posted:

I liked the Concordia video myself. But it doesnt really matter if he stole for that video or not. Man in Cave is already a ridiculously blatant character indictment.
I cant even understand why he did it, the video already sounded so far removed from his usual stuff.

edit: Skippy may be right.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 3, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

He had to have been doing OK from the videos where he just bantered with other YouTubers and they animated it, he did a ton of those. That involved no writing at all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

AVGN is still consistently entertaining, which is the worst thing you can say about these latest episodes. Many are good, even. But it seems like Monster Madness is what suffered the most from that transition.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

He did all that animation work, and music, and voice acting, etc. He could have easily just said "I decided to make a dramatization of this article". Still douchey to do without permission, but would not get nearly the ire.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

He used to do videos that just recounted popular internal happenings of the late aughts and early teens, hence the channel name.

It's entirely possible he did the Costa Concordia thing and a couple of other longer videos and then ran out of ideas and just got lazy.

He had quite a few videos planned if you check the ending of his first and second covid video, but it was stuff like CHAZ or LA shutting down the power to some influencer, but something tells me that he changed track since then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/glennthegolden1/status/1731210040705511798?t=wHp8T_3AipOs4k6eGwZmlA

also lmao

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I suppose the IH video was cursed as well because Wendigoon did voiceovers for it

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this appears to be about a different james i dont care about... may he suffer forever in the content mines

Lol

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

God drat, is James just Tommy Tallarico with a dye job?

Maybe they're all one guy, and this is Hbomb's Moriarty. He's gonna rip the mask off at the end, and it'll turn out it was Steven Moffat all along.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

His mother must be proud, but he needs to take a piss at night.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

no one can seem to find any information about a canadian based "telos marketing and branding" outside of Somerton and one of his friend's linked ins, so it's possible they just made the company themselves and are pretending it's a real bigboy job they totally had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sankara posted:

He did all that animation work, and music, and voice acting, etc. He could have easily just said "I decided to make a dramatization of this article". Still douchey to do without permission, but would not get nearly the ire.

That's something that really struck me about the Internet Historian part. For every other video subject they were clearly lazy and unoriginal, the plagiarism allowed them to make content without putting any meaningful work in. That Man in Cave video, on the other hand, looked like it had SO MUCH work put into it. If he had just reached out to the original author and asked to use the article as a a script for the video, I bet the author would have agreed. If they didn't, he could have just put that talent and creativity to work on a different project. I don't understand the motivation.