Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Diva Cupcake posted:

He hated Jed York with a fiery passion and he still won 70% of his games with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick and made a Super Bowl. He's a very good coach.

And then he got power ousted after calling Jed York a baby

I know he's a good coach, that's not the problem here. Tepper seems much worse than Jed York and Harbaugh is going to immediately get on his bad side by not listening to his bullshit

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Febreeze posted:

I know he's a good coach, that's not the problem here. Tepper seems much worse than Jed York and Harbaugh is going to immediately get on his bad side by not listening to his bullshit

I want Harbaugh because either it would be a huge success or the kind of failure where you'd almost have to think at some point there'd be a revolt against the ownership. Accelerate baby! I'd rather the team burn for the next two years with harbaugh and Tepper at war with one another so that Tepper shamefully sells the team or finally fucks off into the back ground than find some yes man who'll bring us another 5 years of 7-10 or something.

At this point I'm beyond hoping for a smart decision with an actual plan, so lets just light this poo poo up.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
maybe it'd be good if the Chargers hired Marvin Lewis, cause if he got Mike loving Brown to pony up for proper scouts and facilities and all that poo poo, maybe he could do the same with Spanos. plus he was an alright coach for a while. even if he loses 14 games for two seasons it would be good just to get the organization to a respectable place

Bill could probably do it too but his price tag is probably too high to get him in the room. Marvin Lewis wouldn't be cheap but maybe doable

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Marvin is also 65 years old and has spent the last five seasons chilling out in Arizona as an advisor. He's effectively retired and even if he wanted to come back I don't know if he still has the connections to pull quality coordinators and assistant coaches onto his staff.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, Marvin is basically just an ambassador these days. IIRC he's doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work in mentoring Black coaches and helping them move up the ladder, which is a good use of your time if you're not interested in returning to the sidelines.

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 1, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I stand by my conviction that he's the worst owner in the NFL.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Benne posted:

Yeah, Marvin is basicaly just an ambassador these days. IIRC he's doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work in mentoring Black coaches and helping them move up the ladder, which is a good use of your time if you're not interested in returning to the sidelines.

drat, that's loving awesome, Marv rules.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kalensc posted:

drat, that's loving awesome, Marv rules.

I recall him being good commenting on AAF games too. He can do it all!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Febreeze posted:

Jed York was young enough to later realize he was a moron, while Tepper is beyond the event horizon of potential improvement and will just get worse.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

King Hong Kong posted:

Jed York was young enough to later realize he was a moron, while Tepper is beyond the event horizon of potential improvement and will just get worse.

I can fix him take his money.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/MarinoNFL/status/1730938128393712109?t=-5VYyNDSQ2Rv1MDLzRSzPg&s=19

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Works for me tbh. Harbaugh, Moore, Johnson. I'd be happy- at least until reality set in, but for a time.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Ben, please go to San Diego, Los Angeles, and finally bring that Cambell magic and turn them around.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Makes sense - get the one (former) quarterback who’s smaller than Bryce Young.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This would be a terrible hire. They need a program builder, not a playcaller.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

mcmagic posted:

This would be a terrible hire. They need a program builder, not a playcaller.

Ron Rivera come on down

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bringing back Panthers from years gone by hasn’t exactly panned out so far

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What exactly has Kellen Moore done to earn a HC job (other than people just saying it over and over again)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Benne posted:

What exactly has Kellen Moore done to earn a HC job (other than people just saying it over and over again)

Been a good OC.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Has he been good though?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think the Chargers losses have been through execution with like 3 dropped passes or whiffed blocks on what would have been game winning plays. That and the defense giving up like 500 yards every game and playing their backfield 20 yards off in coverage.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Kirios posted:

Makes sense - get the one (former) quarterback who’s smaller than Bryce Young.

Kellen Moore is 6'0", he's got 5" on Bryce (and 20 lbs).

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Dabo Swinney come on down

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Has he been good though?

Yes? Very good?

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Yes? Very good?

I used to think so, but Dallas looks better this year, and the Chargers look the same at best.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Cowboys offense currently is ranked 5th in total offense compared to 10th last year. The Chargers are 11th this year compared to 9th last year.

I'm not sure if that's enough to say Kellen Moore's subtraction from the Cowboys has been good or that it's been negative overall for the Chargers given personnel changes, so take that what you will.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

On one hand I don't like him or the fact that my tax dollars go to pay his salary, so it'd be great to see him eat poo poo in the NFL.

On the other he'd probably end up in Carolina, so I'd have to root for that fucker's success. Bleh.

wazu posted:

I used to think so, but Dallas looks better this year, and the Chargers look the same at best.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I feel like his stock's gone down if anything

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Kellen's only qualifications feel media driven. His offenses are fine, not bad, not good. He just got his job right after McVay took over the Rams with the Cowboys, the team the league never shuts up about. A lot of wanting him to be McVay but he's just not.

Thinking about it he's perfectly primed to hold a clipboard for McVay next year and get a job in 25

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 3, 2023

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Kellen's only qualifications feel media driven. His offenses are fine, not bad, not good. He just got his job right after McVay took over the Rams with the Cowboys, the team the league never shuts up about. A lot of wanting him to be McVay but he's just not.

Thinking about it he's perfectly primed to hold a clipboard for McVay next year and get a job in 25

Also getting pushed out by McCarthy makes me think he's not good at the political angle of coaching, which is a big problem if you're gonna go work for Tepper

Though I guess that's perfect for Tepper if he just wants a pushover

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 3, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Moore has worked for three stinky loser HCs in a row. I do not want that as my new HC hire

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Moore looks a lot less impressive since Fat Mike's offense is actually working pretty well atm

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Chargers red zone offense was like 20th last year. It's 4th this year.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Moore has been an upgrade, over an admittedly very low bar, but not as much as I was hoping. Some of it is the roster being injured/older/not as good as we thought, but he still hasn’t been spectacular or anything. That said, fire Staley way, way before him

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Moore looks a lot less impressive since Fat Mike's offense is actually working pretty well atm

The primary reason that the Dallas 2023 offense (McCarthy) looks better than the Dallas 2022 offense (Moore) is the huge difference interceptions. (Edit: for 12 games: 6 interceptions in 2023, 15 in 2022! :siren:)

Anecdotally, many of the 2022 interceptions seemed fluky and not really Dak’s fault. I think the Dallas playoff loss last year is a good example.

So maybe McCarthy is calling less risky plays than Moore or something, but it seems like most of the difference can be explained by random-ish turnover luck.

Moore seems like a better OC than most.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 3, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pontius Pilate posted:

Moore has been an upgrade, over an admittedly very low bar, but not as much as I was hoping. Some of it is the roster being injured/older/not as good as we thought, but he still hasn’t been spectacular or anything. That said, fire Staley way, way before him

I feel like that’s underselling the drop off in offensive talent due to age and injury that the chargers have experienced this year.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I feel like that’s underselling the drop off in offensive talent due to age and injury that the chargers have experienced this year.

Yeah agreed. Mike Williams dying immediately, Ekeler being banged up and looking like he might be hitting the RB wall, Quentin Johnston not looking like a first (or third) round talent. Keenan is incredible but he is only one 31 year old man. Whatever plan Moore opened the season with for the offense probably went up in smoke almost immediately.

Then again this should have all been easily foreseeable to anyone who has paid attention to the Chargers at all for the last 10 years

Chargers rank 8th in points for, although they are massively behind the frontrunners so this is less impressive than it sounds. There's a big morass of mediocrity behind the Lions at #7.

If you scroll down far enough you can find the Pats dead last behind the Giants, Jets, and Panthers, lol. Pats are almost exactly as far behind the #8 Chargers as the Chargers are behind the #1 Cowboys. Which is impressive in both directions really.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Panthers are looking for an “offensive-minded head coach” to replace Frank Reich.
The Panthers canned Reich after 11 games, only one of which resulted in a win. Reich was hired to oversee the introduction of Bryce Young into the NFL. The No. 1 overall pick has struggled mightily this year, tossing nine touchdowns to eight interceptions. Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson interviewed for Carolina’s head coaching vacancy last offseason but ultimately stayed in Detroit. Expect Panthers owner David Tepper to make an even more enticing offer this time around. Commanders OC Eric Bieniemy and Texans OC Bobby Slowik are both names to monitor for this vacancy as well.

https://x.com/DMRussini/status/1731064857271701548?s=20

quote:

• The expectation in the Panthers building is Tepper will try to lure Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson to Carolina after trying to hire him last season. Johnson decided to stay in Detroit last hiring cycle, but a league source told me Johnson is ready for a head coaching job now.

Some in the Panthers organization, per a league source, have been texting Johnson about how complicated it has been to work in Carolina this season. Johnson is expected to be the top coaching candidate in 2024.

UNC Grad, asheville native coming in to Carolina and fixing things would be a movie script if not for the fact the owner is so lovely that people are texting him the warning from Alien.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oh so he's gonna hire Kellen after all the good candidates turn him down and then pretend that was his first choice all along

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

maybe he should kellen less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Benne posted:

Oh so he's gonna hire Kellen after all the good candidates turn him down and then pretend that was his first choice all along

See, the head coach of a football team is like a point guard, and-