Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How close are you to the scam shadow lists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

How close are you to the scam shadow lists?

About 20 cards, 23 on the first list I looked at on MTG goldfish. I have shadows, shocks, wastelands, etc. but I'm missing most modern horizons cards outside of force of negation. Somehow I don't have reanimates after all these years.

I'm not going in expecting a huge result, I just don't know what to play. There's a 32 player cap and prizes for top8, so I'd really just be happy to make the cut and get my money back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What do you have that can run force of will and answer Bowmasters plus a bunch of small fries?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Probably 8Cast or Scapone PO. I don't know that they answer bowmaster so much as they are supposed to survive it.

A buddy who's going with me and I are going to have ongoing practice sessions, I can probably have one of those built for each to test. I think my next step is to see how well I can parse playing PO when it's not a video feeding me the plays.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Khanstant posted:

It's really absurd. I think their stated reason had to do with attempting to revitalize standard because they think maybe cards being made obsolete too quickly was the problem... But to me it's just another problem, trying to get into paper standard will always mean needing the best cards from an extra year of sets. Before rotation change, a new player could come in and while not being on the level, is a lot closer to others as they don't need all the werewolf lands and staples. It also means another year of sets being marginalized/overpowered before they're even out because they're competing with so much good stuff piled up.

I think the more modern trend are more frequent releases, mini releases sometimes, and other shakeups to keep the meta churning once people solve it to staleness.

I think the constant releases is actually not the solution. The supplemental sets and all that other stuff that isn't Standard legal brings in big bucks and people can barely keep up. Adding more stuff on top of that? No way.

Standard is a much more curated constructed experience than other formats which means the onus is on design to make it interesting. It's just that a substantial amount of time and energy has been shifted towards stuff like UB sets which are intended to onboard new audiences to Magic. Except once those new people are hooked on cardboard they can't take their new stuff to Standard as has been the case for decades.

Long story short Commander killed Standard because you can't crack open any pack you can buy in the store and play the latter with them.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, the reason Standard started to stagnate post-blocks is that they started shoving non-synergistic sets next to each other with no rhyme or reason, so instead of Standard getting built around themes and ideas, a majority of Standard decks now are built around singularly powerful cards, especially after the rotation extension where it's even harder for cards built to function within a single set to find purchase against piles of good stuff. Even the best 'synergy' decks right now (W/U Soldiers, Mono W Humans) involve very broad themes that tend to show up in sets not specifically built around them. There are Standards that wind up looking like that even in the past when the fixing is too good, but now it's just the norm. Like, what is even the best deck right now in Standard even remotely built around a set mechanic or archetype? Is it Food? I think it's Food, largely because it can mooch enough off of secondary artifact token synergies from other sets like Brother's War to make it to some kinda playable, and is still probably Tier 2/3 compared stuff like Esper Pile, 5C Nonsense, and Red Deck Wins with 3 years of sets feeding them.

As someone who drafts primarily, the death of Small Sets has been nothing but a boon for the draft format- while every so often there's a Theros or Shadows Over Innistrad where full block is the superior experience, but a vast majority of draft formats get worse once adding small sets- there's plenty of good draft sets like original Innistrad or Alara or dear lord Khans of Tarkir where adding more sets to dilute the card pool and mechanics and hurts the format greatly. But losing small sets has worked out to be nothing but a loss at this stage for Standard, and I think they need to try harder to build mechanics that feed into each other across sets instead of having a bunch of one-offs that just can't amass enough support to be even remotely playable in a format and rendering large parts of every new set completely undertuned for even what should be their best chance to find a home.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

rickiep00h posted:

I obviously understand why they did it from a business standpoint, but from a gameplay standpoint it feels... somehow more diffuse than having delineated format seasons did.

They do have delineated format seasons, these last two weeks are the last weeks you can have modern RCQs for a while, with the standard season starting in January. WOTC has pushed to include competitive paper standard more in the last year, requiring store champs to be standard or limited, and requiring rcqs to be the format of the rc or limited. I just think that enough people in magic don’t care about playing in big tournaments that it this push hasn’t really brought in any new audiences.

Like just speaking personally nobody at my LGS who doesn’t already play constructed regularly and goes to RCQs almost every weekend is interested in picking up standard now that it’s coming up on the schedule again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

rickiep00h posted:

Were stores always open to choose their format for FNM?

I don't know about always but at least the last decade a store could pick from a list of sanctioned formats and on that list was "untracked" or something or a catchall that let them give out fnm prizes but not count it as fnm rounds. If I still had access to my dci stuff I could tell you, because I broke legacy was an official fnm format a store I went to did one legacy fnm and it had some weird designation in the tournament reporter.
Anyways, no not any format, but yes the popular ones

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

alright hoot, so we're about a day and a half out. what're your predictions for bans on monday

Geological Appraiser is 100% getting nuked, and I think Karn will be too. beyond that, I have no idea.

*Puts fingers to temple and squints*
I'm seeing, modern players, both furious and griefing about a hill of beans. Post Malone is cackling under the blood moon
*Straining*
Pioneer ... I karnnot believe .. how discovering truth is being inverted
*Nose starts to bleed*
NO CHANGES IN LEGACY!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my prediction for Monday is that hoottheowl will misreport blood moon as being banned in modern, again

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

kalel posted:

my prediction for Monday is that hoottheowl will misreport blood moon as being banned in modern, again

"We're changing the rules so that setting a land's subtype to a basic land type no longer removes that land's abilities.

Additionally, Blood Moon is banned."

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Instead of a B&R announcement they’re going to spoil a borderless, anime Ravnica Remastered reprint of Blood Moon. Also Back to Basics.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

kalel posted:

yeah it rules. hoot writes a good B&R announcement

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Rcq being standard is going to loving blow and stores are going to lose a good revenue generator.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sickening posted:

Every decision WOTC has made in the last 10 years has led to this. Standard of old was only pursued by the masses by the huge amount of focus it had from big vendors, your local lgs, and competitive play. WOTC dumpstered all of that. There is no going back at this point.

The flow of cards from drafts into standard was also a big driver, and now the casual "I don't own many cards" format is commander

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The flow of cards from drafts into standard was also a big driver, and now the casual "I don't own many cards" format is commander

I think commander players , even casually, own a ton of cards. I just think trying to convince that group of people to play a format where their cards have temporary usefulness and value is going to be a hard sell.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean that's why they are making Standard 3 year rotation right

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sickening posted:

I think commander players , even casually, own a ton of cards. I just think trying to convince that group of people to play a format where their cards have temporary usefulness and value is going to be a hard sell.

Not allowing proxies is also a huge negative for constructed vs commander, especially since you need up to 4x of each. Grinding a tournament in an LGS setting is also just a massively different experience than jamming commander games with your friends and playgroup. Totally different vibe, way more structure, way more of a time locked down, and you don't really get to play with your friends. A lot of time, travel, and money to play a worse version of Arena.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

It also used to be that the top fraction of standard cards became modern relevant- cards like collected company or birthing pod, or various graveyard cards or artifacts for those decks. Now most modern relevant cards come from Horizons

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's a whole variety of reasons but they all really just derive from the fact that Wizards put less priority on developing Standard and now they're wondering why it's dead

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mr. Locke posted:

I mean, the reason Standard started to stagnate post-blocks is that they started shoving non-synergistic sets next to each other with no rhyme or reason, so instead of Standard getting built around themes and ideas, a majority of Standard decks now are built around singularly powerful cards, especially after the rotation extension where it's even harder for cards built to function within a single set to find purchase against piles of good stuff. Even the best 'synergy' decks right now (W/U Soldiers, Mono W Humans) involve very broad themes that tend to show up in sets not specifically built around them. There are Standards that wind up looking like that even in the past when the fixing is too good, but now it's just the norm. Like, what is even the best deck right now in Standard even remotely built around a set mechanic or archetype? Is it Food? I think it's Food, largely because it can mooch enough off of secondary artifact token synergies from other sets like Brother's War to make it to some kinda playable, and is still probably Tier 2/3 compared stuff like Esper Pile, 5C Nonsense, and Red Deck Wins with 3 years of sets feeding them.

As someone who drafts primarily, the death of Small Sets has been nothing but a boon for the draft format- while every so often there's a Theros or Shadows Over Innistrad where full block is the superior experience, but a vast majority of draft formats get worse once adding small sets- there's plenty of good draft sets like original Innistrad or Alara or dear lord Khans of Tarkir where adding more sets to dilute the card pool and mechanics and hurts the format greatly. But losing small sets has worked out to be nothing but a loss at this stage for Standard, and I think they need to try harder to build mechanics that feed into each other across sets instead of having a bunch of one-offs that just can't amass enough support to be even remotely playable in a format and rendering large parts of every new set completely undertuned for even what should be their best chance to find a home.
I think this is a huge factor. It used to be that when a new block came out, let's say Kamigawa, you could build a Ninja deck with all the cool new Ninja cards. It'd probably feel kinda bad against especially a fine-tuned Mirrodin artifacts deck (so, probably bad example blocks, but I remember those ones), but then the second set would come out and give you a bunch more Ninja toys, and then the third would complete the block and you'd have the final Ninja selection and could build the best Ninja deck in the current Standard. Then Mirrodin block would rotate out, and Ravnica would be released, and while there weren't any Ninjas in it, you could still put some Dimir cards into your UB Ninja deck, upgrade some removal, etc. - and you could keep doing that during the whole time Ravnica Block would exist, because the core of your Ninja deck would never really change but also you had a whole block's of cards in that core so it would be reasonably strong.

Therefore, this would give you two full years with your favorite deck theme, and one of those years would be spent with the deck constantly evolving in major ways as the new sets for the block came out. This was cool! And it made it super worth sticking with all sets of the block. Also, you could have skipped playing Mirrodin and wouldn't miss much except for some key utility cards in UB which you could just buy singles of. Same for Ravnica in the future, if for some reason you didn't feel it, there was no need to get super into collecting its cards, your Ninja deck would only need some specific ones.

Currently, that's not really possible outside of some exceptions. You could build a zombie deck in MID + VOW, yeah, but it wouldn't really get much more after that half year of two sets. Same goes for Vampires. Now, what if you built a cool Backup deck with mostly MOM cards? An Enchantment one in WOE? You'd barely get anything out of the adjacent sets. The dynamic is completely different. And of course, your pet deck is competing against, as you said, just the strongest cards of 6-8 (and now, 9-12) otherwise only semi-related sets. A cool zombie list just won't really cut it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah but then they run out of ideas and poop out Dragon's Maze or something and everyone suffers

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
They're fully capable of doing block-like sections sometimes, like, DMU-BRO-ONE-MOM is basically a big super-block story-wise, covering New Phyrexia invading across planes.

The problem is, mechanically, the only link in that entire chunk is that Karn in DMU makes powerstone tokens.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Story wise, wasn't it a straight line from like antiquities to mirrodin (homelands excepted)
And then kamigawa, ravnica, and lorwyn/shadowmore were sort of stand alone with time spiral going back to the story and then picked up again for shards?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

shorter standard was always more of a fighting game. The decks were basically pre-determined by wotc, and then further refined by the community in week 1. After that, its "choose your fighter" and get good at playing the deck and knowing the matchups.

Sometimes 1 deck would be a full tier stronger an anything else though, so the metagame warps into hating on that strong deck, or morphing into that strong deck. Sometimes if wotc fucks up badly enough, everyone just gives up and plays that deck. Like rakdos around MoM, or rakdos in Kaladesh, or the adventure deck in eldraine or god forbid, ravager affinity.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried reading the Ixalan story while playing and that didn't work out bc I kept getting opponents who were playing normal speed, so later I stuck a video synopsis of it on and while I didn't read Eldraine story yet, this batch very more disjointed than the past several I had. Doesn't help I wasn't around for the original so even though all the factions kind of bend of backwards to fit the new caverns theme, still felt a bit in the dark of who to root for or against or why. It's gonna be a mess no matter what with how many different clubs they needed to fit back in.

Despite not having with the story overall, I did like how they tied in the card moments at least, and this set is probably my favourite so far of ones I've been around for. Sorry, Unfinity.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That sounds like you hate signpost draft uncommons

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think there's a middle ground between block themes being so strong they determine standard viability, and Phyrexians hard pivoting from poison to transforming tokens with zero overlap.

I still think about how ZNR had the party mechanic and we thought AFR would use it because like D&D parties. Nope, turns out AFR was actively hostile to party with Monks, Rangers, Barbarians, and Warlocks.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I loved party. Really wish it’d gotten some extra support beyond token, piece-meal appearance of relevant classes. I had a ton of fun jamming a jank azorious party brew in that standard. It stayed fun even through strixhaven though. It may have had a little extra life but based on how they rolled out the three year standard it got rotated out before the change.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I still think about how ZNR had the party mechanic and we thought AFR would use it because like D&D parties. Nope, turns out AFR was actively hostile to party with Monks, Rangers, Barbarians, and Warlocks.

Yeah that never made much sense to me either. I get why they didn't want to have the party mechanic be a generic "4 different creature types" criteria, however it seems like they could've included the most common 4-5 DND classes in the mechanic without too much trouble. Everyone already knew DND was the next set, and it would've opened up additional potential for Party in constructed formats.

Alternatively they could've just categorized certain creature types as "classes/jobs" and then the Party mechanic require 4 different of those subtypes.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 3, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Party should have been every type but they were coming down from peak FIRE and got worried it would be too powerful if party numbers ever got above 5

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

W
Instant
Creatures in your party get +1/+1 until end of turn. (Your party consists of up to one each of Divine Caster, Arcane Caster, Fighter, and Tricky. Clerics, Druids, Mystics, and Shamans are Divine Casters. Artificers, Spellshapers, Wizards, and Warlocks are Arcane Casters. Barbarians, Berserkers, Knights, Mercenaries, Monks, Samurai, Soldiers, and Warriors are Fighters. Archers, Assassins, Bards, Ninjas, Pirates, Rangers, Rogues, Scouts, and Spies are Trickies.)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
EARLY BAN LIST UPDATE!

The coin has been banned
A grift too powerful for goldfish
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1731374230493880747?t=cdxzReJUqb23w6UKsXq1fA&s=19

Ref:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No cats in the party? smh

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lottery of Babylon posted:

W
Instant
Creatures in your party get +1/+1 until end of turn. (Your party consists of up to one each of Divine Caster, Arcane Caster, Fighter, and Tricky. Clerics, Druids, Mystics, and Shamans are Divine Casters. Artificers, Spellshapers, Wizards, and Warlocks are Arcane Casters. Barbarians, Berserkers, Knights, Mercenaries, Monks, Samurai, Soldiers, and Warriors are Fighters. Archers, Assassins, Bards, Ninjas, Pirates, Rangers, Rogues, Scouts, and Spies are Trickies.)

It's reminder text, so they could have left it as is and buried the prestige classes in the rules. Like how atraxa doesn't included kindred

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Reaching into my 3rd Ed splat book collection to really juice up the size of the reminder text

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eej posted:

Reaching into my 3rd Ed splat book collection to really juice up the size of the reminder text

I said Kinsei, not Kavu!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

HootTheOwl posted:

EARLY BAN LIST UPDATE!

The coin has been banned
A grift too powerful for goldfish
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1731374230493880747?t=cdxzReJUqb23w6UKsXq1fA&s=19

Ref:

Oh wow that wasn’t some official thing? I glanced at it and thought WOTC was doing some weird gold thing. But you generally don’t overcharge that much. Even Disney didn’t for their Star Wars coins.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

All I know is that the RAV/TSP Standard was the best ever and they should just revert all design decisions to reflect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

HootTheOwl posted:

Story wise, wasn't it a straight line from like antiquities to mirrodin (homelands excepted)
And then kamigawa, ravnica, and lorwyn/shadowmore were sort of stand alone with time spiral going back to the story and then picked up again for shards?

Homelands was only vaguely related, because it explained what happened to Serra, and gave an origin to Baron Sengir but took place on Ulgrotha and not Dominaria

Otherwise, yeah