Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Even on geodormant? I haven't gone very far but I haven't even seen any neutronium in 30 cycles.

e: Also desperately digging towards the only pacu I can see before his pond freezes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Xerol posted:

Even on geodormant?
I can’t check right now, but you should. I think every asteroid has a set of “always there” geysers/volcanos, plus a number of semi-random ones, and geodormant just removes three of the random ones.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I did eventually find a cool steam vent and a natural gas geyser, although neither are particularly close, and since they're both gas vents the total thermal mass isn't really all that much. The main problem I want to try to overcome on this map is getting a petroleum boiler going without having access to any magma or thermium aquatuners. Maybe there's a metal volcano, but from past experiments those can generally only run about 1 oil well's worth of oil throughput. Right now I have no real plan but I'm thinking liquid uranium and a smelter might be the way to go.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Xerol posted:

I did eventually find a cool steam vent and a natural gas geyser, although neither are particularly close, and since they're both gas vents the total thermal mass isn't really all that much. The main problem I want to try to overcome on this map is getting a petroleum boiler going without having access to any magma or thermium aquatuners. Maybe there's a metal volcano, but from past experiments those can generally only run about 1 oil well's worth of oil throughput. Right now I have no real plan but I'm thinking liquid uranium and a smelter might be the way to go.

If you have uranium, ignore the oil. Build a reactor and have it fuel rad rockets, what else do you need petrol for?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Suggestions for leveraging a carbon dioxide geyser that emits at -55c?

Renewable co2 is of course useful for pwater or slicksters, but it's technically a heat deleter, even if co2 doesn't have much thermal mass.

E: Might make an air gap around the base and pipe it there for the time being. Should be an effective insulator until I decide to what to do with it

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 3, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fruits of the sea posted:

Renewable co2 is of course useful for pwater or slicksters, but it's technically a heat deleter, even if co2 doesn't have much thermal mass.

E: Might make an air gap around the base and pipe it there for the time being. Should be an effective insulator until I decide to what to do with it

Vent it into space? Maybe run the vent past something warm that you want chilled in the process?

If you want a really effective insulator you just use a vacuum. Insulated tiles are honestly more than enough unless you're in an extreme temperature scenario, and even then you're still okay with insulated tiles.

CO2 is just not useful, sadly. Cold CO2 is arguably even worse, since you have to heat it up before you give it to the slicksters. And slicksters themselves are mostly just a way to convert industrial CO2 production into food, and get a small amount of incidental oil in the process (unlike hatches, slicksters don't eat enough to really generate oil in any quantity worth caring about).

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Also note that once the liquid co2 boils, it will create an awful lot of gas. So be really careful with it! Have at least a couple of airlocks between the liquid co2 and your base.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

OzyMandrill posted:

If you have uranium, ignore the oil. Build a reactor and have it fuel rad rockets, what else do you need petrol for?

I probably don't have enough for any significant power production, just the little starter patch they give you. But it's enough to fill a smelter loop if you melt it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The hermit isn't doing so good

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

I have one of those. Piped it under the kitchen. It will keep things fresh.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

Thing is, you don't need a geyser for CO2. You just need dupes to be alive, or to be running basically any industry at all. It's a waste product with vanishingly few uses, and even in the situations where it can be helpful, you're not lacking for the stuff anyway.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Fizzy drinks! Once you have more water than you need, then it's a cheap and easy way to make dupes happier.
Also, automated short-trip rockets in Spaced Out maybe? A rad-free alternative to launchers, but a gently caress load more hassle comparatively.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

Thing is, you don't need a geyser for CO2. You just need dupes to be alive, or to be running basically any industry at all. It's a waste product with vanishingly few uses, and even in the situations where it can be helpful, you're not lacking for the stuff anyway.

I find CO2 valuable because of CO2->PWater->PDirt->Pokeshell Molts->Lime->Steel, and always want more. On Terrania I also needed it for clay, although on my metallic swamp start I seem to have plenty of clay.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

After I hit the water planet, I'm basically done with lime for the rest of the game.

Also Niobium comes not too long after that, and then you can switch to building everything out of Niobium/Thermium which is a strict upgrade.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I thought things were stable but I've spent the past 100 days trying to deal with heat. I've haven't had time to even deal with oil yet. I moved all my production facilities to a new annex that's separately cooled now. I think I need to move onto better food too

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You can just let dupes stack up skill points without spending them, to avoid stacking morale penalties.

If you’ve already got automation-regulated heat management though, you’re good to go for most of the crops which are past meal and mushrooms in complexity. Moving your crops into a second large temp-isolated box that you keep at a comfortable growing temperature isn’t at all beyond you.

I like to build sweepers and conveyors into my midgame and later farms, to cut farmer labor time down. Getting used to conveyors if you haven’t done anything elaborate with them yet is a good idea.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

You can just let dupes stack up skill points without spending them, to avoid stacking morale penalties.

If you’ve already got automation-regulated heat management though, you’re good to go for most of the crops which are past meal and mushrooms in complexity. Moving your crops into a second large temp-isolated box that you keep at a comfortable growing temperature isn’t at all beyond you.

I like to build sweepers and conveyors into my midgame and later farms, to cut farmer labor time down. Getting used to conveyors if you haven’t done anything elaborate with them yet is a good idea.

I learned this the hard way when I had chain stress events. I ended up using the respec building to fix it but I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong at first.

I did automate my hatch farms but they were overpopulated. they've since been pruned back and expanded upon

as for food, I think I really need spices and sleet wheat to move to the next tier of foods. I hadn't really considered expanding the farms until the industrial project was done but really I should be working on that petrol boiler. let's see if I can manage to not kill anyone

I think my other limiting factor is power generation

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There are some dupe skills that are kind of a trap really, like the hazmat digging skill, which you should basically never need since the only thing it does is let you mine out the blocks created by a research reactor meltdown but creates a huge morale burden by getting it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah don’t sleep on respeccing dupes, you lose nothing but a chunk of their day and can re-buy any skills you re-develop the need for.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we did it fam turns out my main issue was heat and by proxy water. I was spending a lot of time going from fire to fire and wasn't making a ton of forward progress. we've now tamed two cool steam geysers and I got the metal refinery to be able to run steel non-stop

my initial gently caress up was not really taking into account that steam turbines generate power and should be on the main heavy-watt wire loop as the other power generators and not on a post transmission station line. then also not realizing that aquatuners don't run all the time if you got them setup with some sensors

now that everyone is happy and main supply lines are secure. I can finally get started on the mega projects

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

One of the best things for morale is making sure that your rooms give morale (great hall, etc.), and doing things like putting a nature preserve right outside of your great hall or bathroom or whatever so that your dupes always get that morale bonus walking through it.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
oh that's a question, nature preserves say you need to have wild plants in them. how does the game define that? can I put stacks on dirt in my base and put seeds into them? I did have pips from the fabricator but they died off before being able to plant. I even left them empty farm plots

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It needs to be a plant growing in a "natural", as in not constructed, tile. There are ways (some might consider them exploits) to create new natural tiles, after which pips can then plant in them. Pips have a bunch of rules for planting based on how many other plants there are in a certain range, and they also need to have access to seeds of course (this can be in a bin, they will rummage through it and leave a mess on the floor).

Easiest way is to plan ahead and leave some natural tiles in your ladder shaft, but if you didn't do that, the easiest way to make a new natural tile is by building an airlock door surrounded on all sides (can be surrounded by other doors) and then deconstruct the door, which will leave a tile of the door's material in the bottom half of where the door was. Other kinds of natural tiles can be created by exploiting state changes, like having supercooled liquid glass (<1kg packet, so it won't state change) in a hydroponics tile.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
ok so I did lose a dupe but I got the boiler working sorta. the issue is that I can't keep the magma hot enough to be consistent. it keeps cooling down to igneous but really I think I need to just keep pumping in heat. it's over 600 in there temp wise

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve never bothered to retain natural tiles inside the main base- it’s a hassle when I’m going to be remodeling, changing wiring/plumbing multiple times as well as temperatures fluctuating in the early-mid game.

I kinda want to build a new base around the teleporter this time and then it’d be a lot easier to create an optimal transport flow incorporating a nature reserve. Just need to scale up to plastics first

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 6, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
actually it would have / would be faster to just make a diamond spike instead of messing around with transporting magma

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DreadLlama posted:

Hey, this is a pretty elegant use of CO2! Using the vent to cool and having the space double as a hatch farm is a nice combo.

I get the the point others said though, it's not exactly providing much in the way of gains compared to just about any other vent. Still, it's interesting to puzzle out what I can do it.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Due to a lack of pwater, I have discovered that you can make steel wit h25C water, it comes out at 85C, so OK for doing the first 1200kg. I just need to finish a proper cooling block ASAP before it boils the base.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Hey, this is a pretty elegant use of CO2! Using the vent to cool and having the space double as a hatch farm is a nice combo.

I get the the point others said though, it's not exactly providing much in the way of gains compared to just about any other vent. Still, it's interesting to puzzle out what I can do it.

It's just that CO2 is not only a thing you always have, but it's also a waste product you have to deal with in some way or another. More exotic vents, like natural gas, chlorine, etc. are rarer materials that have interesting uses.

OzyMandrill posted:

Due to a lack of pwater, I have discovered that you can make steel wit h25C water, it comes out at 85C, so OK for doing the first 1200kg. I just need to finish a proper cooling block ASAP before it boils the base.

Yeah, my first few steel batches are usually near the most convenient large collection of water I can find. The input I put close to the machine, and the output I dump on the opposite side of the water. It's not infinitely sustainable, but it'll get enough steel going to make a more permanent solution with a cooling loop.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I always make sure to throw a couple extra hundred kg of steel in my first batch so I can make a thermo regulator for cooling my food storage. A pit like this starts with a 3-tile opening that I later close off to 1 tile once it's full to the top with CO2, and then I also run a hydrogen gas loop (cooled by the regulator to about -40C) through the room to reach deep freeze. I put this in the same steam chamber as the aquatuner for my SPOM output cooling. The auto-sweeper also makes it so dupes don't have to dive down in there except to retrieve food to eat.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

we loving did it fam, we finally tamed the oil. we now have all the basic needs covered for a while and I can afford to run more aquatuners. time to start hollowing out the map and preparing the future launch bays

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Nice job, you should be proud tbh.

Can you get a mop command on those two oil blobs in the corners? If not, you could put a vent on the petroleum pipe with a liquid sensor on the segment before it that detect oil. Or let it rip and deal with the potential wrong element.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dunno-Lars posted:

Can you get a mop command on those two oil blobs in the corners? If not, you could put a vent on the petroleum pipe with a liquid sensor on the segment before it that detect oil. Or let it rip and deal with the potential wrong element.

that'll actually correct it self as my oil intake already has petroleum in it and I filtered it back through there to fix my earlier attempts. then I can redirect the pipes after it cycles through. I do need to start directing the oil from the oil wells a little better but one step at a time

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

What should I be doing if I have a basic stable base, but haven't found the oil yet? I have the central area insulated, have plumbing to store piss, and can pipe it through a chlorine gas to remove the germs, on into a purifier and back into the main reservoir. I'm doing fine on heat and food, have some basic rooms and consequently good morale. Burning coal in a separate area outside the base for power, though still sometimes supplemented by the hamster wheels because whatever, the research dupe isn't doing much lately until my resources catch up to my tech level. I found a cool steam geyser but I don't have the materials to build a steam turbine so I can't really do anything with it yet.

Should I just be kinda... digging straight down until I hit oil or the core? It feels like a weird dull point, and this has usually been where I get bored with a base in the past.

Semi-related: is there a cheat mode to like build things without resources? I'd really like to see how some of the advanced buildings operate so that I can plan how to use them. One of the things that frustrates me about the game is the imprecision of in-game info about how a building behaves. Like, ok, I get what an autosweeper (just to pick a random example, I don't need info about this) does, but until I build one it's not obvious what its range is, or if there's anything that makes it more or less effective, or does it need to be hooked up to a conveyor (or can it be, even). Stuff like that. I get the feeling "visualize the final layout" is sort of not how the game is intended to be played, but I want to have a vague idea of what I'm trying to do since it can take a while to get a base to develop and I'd hate to realize I screwed myself out of ten hours because of some detail about how, I dunno, transit tubes or whatever interact with everything else.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Akratic Method posted:

What should I be doing if I have a basic stable base, but haven't found the oil yet?
Does your starting asteroid have dreckos? If so, ranch them.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hellevator, Terraria style. I like doing a 7 block wide shaft, ladder in the middle and individual ladder tiles on the side every 5 tiles. Keeps the dupes working instead of logjamming and running off to do other stuff plus it preps the area for easy excavation later. Think I got it from Francis John's videos. Worth avoiding ice biomes, so the cooling and water is easy to access later.

Although if you find multiple natural gas or hydrogen vents, it can be worthwhile to get them running as well as some basic automation before digging for oil.

I think sandbox mode can be enabled via the options menu?

E:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

drecko ranch is a good idea, plastics are a pain in the rear end to cool

Dunno-Lars posted:

That bit took me like 2 years

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 6, 2023

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Hellevator, Terraria style. I like doing a 7 block wide shaft, ladder in the middle and individual ladder tiles on the side every 5 tiles. Keeps the dupes working instead of logjamming and running off to do other stuff plus it preps the area for easy excavation later. Think I got it from Francis John's videos. Worth avoiding ice biomes, so the cooling and water is easy to access later.

Although if you find multiple natural gas or hydrogen vents, it can be worthwhile to get them running as well as some basic automation before digging for oil.

I think sandbox mode can be enabled via the options menu?

E:

drecko ranch is a good idea, plastics are a pain in the rear end to cool

lol if I'm so goddamn dumb I never looked at the option screen -- thank you!

Hellevator it is, then! That does address how slow they've been about digging a single-tile shaft, which was part of my issue.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Probably an objectively good idea, but I want to learn how to do things the mining way before I try getting my refine metals and plastics from variant creatures.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Then you could get some atmo suits up (plus the oxygen to feed them) and go down for oil (and fossils and maybe lead) and up to space.

Also while animal plastic is sweet as heck, regular dreckos will produce reed fiber.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

First question is if you're playing on a classic or spaced out map. Classic maps have the oil biome on the starting asteroid, but spaced out maps have it on the teleporter destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xerol posted:

First question is if you're playing on a classic or spaced out map. Classic maps have the oil biome on the starting asteroid, but spaced out maps have it on the teleporter destination.

there are some starting asteroids with oil i think

usually they're very spicy starts lol