Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Someone else explained it up above. Practice vs trying to make it work on the fly, basically.

Also, the Eagles got a rugby coach to teach them how to scrum. AFAIK, no other team did that.

NFL team figures out one weird exploit to practice a good play to perfection and implement it into games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

AndrewP posted:

Lots of teams have tried it and nobody can do it as effectively and consistently as the Eagles. If it's so unfair, why can only one team really do it?

The Eagles have been running it for over a year, and probably practicing it heavily. I may be off a bit on the timing, but I don't recall it getting heavy attention until late last season/the playoffs. I suspect the Eagles have put a hell of a lot more into perfecting how it's run than any other team, and it's helped by Jason Kelce and that line being as good as they are. Meanwhile, other teams aren't putting a big effort into running it, and aren't working a whole lot on defending it unless they've got Philadelphia coming up.

Give it another off season, and I suspect a lot of other teams will be able to run it effectively, and that teams will be able to better defend it as well. In that regards, it reminds me of when a handful of teams starting using read option heavily back around 2011/2012, specifically Washington with RG3 and San Francisco with Colin Kaepernick. Teams that first year or two were completely clueless how to defend those offenses, but within a year or two, they'd become more common and teams were spending more than just the week they faced that opponent to prep for that type of play.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Richard Sherman recently talked about Kyle Shanahan's offensive philosophy, and he said something similar. Shanahan's offense exploits "rules" that standard NFL defenses follow. His offense succeeds by forcing defenses to do things they're not used to doing because it goes against what they're taught to be bedrock and fundamental. That's exactly what the brotherly shove does for the eagles offense. It forces defenses to play differently than how they've played since pop warner.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

. Why do you think Brady had a near perfect conversion percentage on 4th and 1 himself?

cheating mostly

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FizFashizzle posted:

cheating mostly

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

i just looked into that, and it's super cool. i was living in the uk for a little bit in 2009-2010 and got mildly obsessed with a doomed media campaign to get british people interested in basketball because Luol Deng dragged their team into the 2012 olympics, so I always get hyped for British dudes playing American sports. I'll be on the lookout for him.

edit:

lol nobody tell him

He'll feel right at home playing @ Maryland in front of 500 fans

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If they ban this then they have to ban my personal pet peeve of a runner's forward progress getting stopped, but then the whole offensive line runs up and pushes him another 10 yards

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Today I'm going to watch the Browns play "football" :twisted:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

AndrewP posted:

If they ban this then they have to ban my personal pet peeve of a runner's forward progress getting stopped, but then the whole offensive line runs up and pushes him another 10 yards

i kinda like an earlier poster's suggestion of just killing the play at the point where a "runner" is being pushed for forward progress when he's not actually on his feet anymore

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

AndrewP posted:

I agree. It's stupid that the offense can push but the defense can't. I mean they can but it just stops the play. I remember a sack earlier this year where Bosa hit the qb at the 1/2 yard line and tackled him into the end zone. Safety? Nope, his forward progress of not running the ball but getting hit outside the end zone meant it wasn't. Very stupid.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sharknado slashfic posted:

Today I'm going to watch the Browns play "football" :twisted:

prepare to get Flaccowned

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

at first i wanted it banned because i thought it was dumb. Then i realized the play was actually a testament to the eagles Oline's skills and practice and didn't want it banned. Now i want it banned because it will make eagles fans mad.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

at first i wanted it banned because i thought it was dumb. Then i realized the play was actually a testament to the eagles Oline's skills and practice and didn't want it banned. Now i want it banned because it will make eagles fans mad.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

drat that is a convincing argument

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

prepare to get Flaccowned

God I hope so

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

:yeah:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

100% agree.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Last night I saw a stat that said that the Eagles have something like a 90-95% success rate doing the push, and that other teams had like a 80% success rate doing the same thing. But other coaches are cowardly and won't do it, so the Eagles are the only team that consistently does it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

at first i wanted it banned because i thought it was dumb. Now i want it banned because it will make eagles fans mad.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Browns haven't won a game in LA since 1993.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Flikken posted:

Browns haven't won a game in LA since 1993.

Kinda hard to win games in LA when there wasn't a team in LA for 20 years, or for the first 15 years of the Browns' existence

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Black Lighter posted:

Kinda hard to win games in LA when there wasn't a team in LA for 20 years, or for the first 15 years of the Browns' existence

Broadcasts love pointing that stuff out about Cleveland though.

We don't travel to the West Coast very well either.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
in other #news I just saw Flaco the escaped Eurasian owl hanging out in Central Park and I told him he had to get moving to his game

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Flikken posted:

Broadcasts love pointing that stuff out about Cleveland though.

We don't travel to the West Coast very well either.

The Browns don't travel anywhere very well, including to Cleveland

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Flacco is gonna do 20 naked bootlegs and throw 300 yards to Derrick Mason Amari Cooper

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

The Browns don't travel anywhere very well, including to Cleveland

They traveled to Baltimore ok.
In 1996

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I think it's stupid to ban the tush push but if banning it means I won't have to hear a bunch of talking heads and dipshit fans of 31 other teams complain about it 24/7 then maybe it's for the best

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Not in this sub but in other places I see people complain about the play most of it just sounds like sour grapes. A team having a signature play like that is neat to me at least.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Don't ban it, but let the defense push back

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

feller posted:

The best argument I've seen in favor of banning it — and the only one that didn't ultimately boil down to "it's ugly" or "I don't like the Eagles" — came from Richard Sherman: "If the defense can't push, the offense shouldn't be able to either."

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Toaster Beef posted:

I think it's stupid to ban the tush push but if banning it means I won't have to hear a bunch of talking heads and dipshit fans of 31 other teams complain about it 24/7 then maybe it's for the best
Yeah it feels like you can't watch any game anymore without it being brought up ad nauseum

Also if/when they ban it I think the effect on the Eagles will be more negligible than being made out to be

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 3, 2023

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

feller posted:

Yeah, this. Let them scrum back so we can get the oldest school football there is

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Biggest issue for me is the attempt to rebrand it as "the brotherly shove." If you have a game breaking move, live with its belittling name.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The scrum doesn't even cause injuries. I don't see why they can't have that.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I like the Tush Push. Keep going for it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm torn because I like the Eagles players but Nick Sirianni is a bitch

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Spotted on randomwaffle:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

The best argument I've seen in favor of banning it — and the only one that didn't ultimately boil down to "it's ugly" or "I don't like the Eagles" — came from Richard Sherman: "If the defense can't push, the offense shouldn't be able to either."

This argument falls apart immediately for me because there is all kinds of poo poo one side of the ball is allowed to do but not the other. Are we going to eliminate the false start penalty?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Waltzing Along posted:

Tush push is easy to deal with. Just make it that if a player is off his feet, the moment he starts getting pushed, that is forward progress and the whistle. I don't think anyone would have an issue with the play without the players pushing Hurts over a pile. It's a legal play that is using a loophole and goes against the spirit of the rules. The game isn't about finding ways to avoid touching the ground yet still move forward. You can't just pick a guy up and carry him down the field, so creating a barrier on the ground for him to surf over with the assistance of other players is just tacky.

Counterpoint: a touchdown scored by reenacting The Bodyguard club scene would rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Spotted on randomwaffle:

Animal cruelty.