Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

Neither do you. Would you take that trade regardless of the market?

I would try to hold onto King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
For as much as Yankees fans supposedly hate Cashman, the general tone around the internet seems to be that he's crazy for hugging King from everyone except Yankees fans.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

live with fruit posted:

For as much as Yankees fans supposedly hate Cashman, the general tone around the internet seems to be that he's crazy for hugging King from everyone except Yankees fans.

There is a reason everyone wants King.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

There is a reason everyone wants King.

Who else wants him?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
A 28 year old pitcher who reaches free agency in 2026 should not be the dealbreaker that stops you from getting Juan Soto, an all-world 25 year old left handed hitter.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

secular woods sex posted:

A 28 year old pitcher who reaches free agency in 2026 should not be the dealbreaker that stops you from getting Juan Soto, an all-world 25 year old left handed hitter.

Who's also only ever made 19 career starts.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lmao that the untouchable Yankees pitching prospect is 3 years older than Juan Soto

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

The Dodgers are bringing back Joe Kelly, fire up the .gif

Frowny Face Forever

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Depending on what the rest of the deal is I don't care about dealing King

But if it's something stupid where King is the only meaningful piece then it's just Cashman being Danny Ainge again

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

secular woods sex posted:

I also don't think King gets beyond ~130-140 innings next year. Dude hasn't thrown over 100 innings since 2018.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Michael King doesn't matter anyway because

https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1731070093256257880

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It'd be pretty great if the Yankees signed none of the big free agents or Soto

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I assume the Blue Jays are going to have to give up Ricky Tiedemann in a Soto deal

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Yankees need to be cost conscious, they can't go spending willy nilly with their revenue limitations

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
And since the Blue Jays are a finalist for Ohtani (supposedly), they'll have the money to re-sign Soto. Good for them.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
where will the blue jays get all the money to pay for these signings?!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I will believe the Blue Jays actually get this done when I see it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Hirez posted:

They're tapping the maple reserves.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Hirez posted:

Rogers has infinite money

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I will believe the Blue Jays actually get this done when I see it.

Sorry you lost

Manoah for Soto. RIP the Yankees

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

thehoodie posted:

Rogers has infinite money

That curse can be ended if we just throw the Ted rogers statue into the Lake

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Sorry you lost

Manoah for Soto. RIP the Yankees

I'd much rather have King than Manoah...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well you're not the genius AJ Preller

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If I'm Preller and I'm going into a rebuild I would rather have someone younger than Michael King anyway as a centerpiece

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If I'm Preller and I'm going into a rebuild I would rather have someone younger than Michael King anyway as a centerpiece

This is probably why the 2023 milb pitching prospect of the year, Drew Thorpe, is also included on a bunch of the rumors along with King.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They'll probably sign Yamamoto

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

They'll probably sign Yamamoto

They are going to outbid the Mets for him?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Ohtani is taking his sweet time deciding huh?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The last few days I've used the unread post count in this thread as a "did Ohtani sign yet" canary.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

*three months away from Spring Training*

Hurry up with the decision that will affect the next decade of your life already!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Brewers' extension with Jackson Chourio is official

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39033613/sources-brewers-jackson-chourio-agree-8-year-82m-deal

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Has he even played a major league game yet?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Has he even played a major league game yet?

Nope richest ever contract for a milb.

Seems pretty rad of Milwaukee?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's trying to follow the Braves model to get players for dirt cheap.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I'd much rather have King than Manoah...

Apparently, the Yankees would much rather have King than Juan Soto.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

i think that deal would hurt too much because it would basically devastate all of NY's SP insurance along with the loss of prospects like Dominguez and Thorpe. Do I think King is untouchable? No. Do I think King is a guaranteed 200 IP quality starter? No. But losing him, Brito, Vasquez, and Thorpe would leave the SP with Cole, Rodan, Cortes, and Schmidt. Even adding Yamamoto and maybe someone else still leaves that looking very thin. King and Co aren't locks or massive pieces but they're depth and insurance and losing all of that PLUS Dominguez feels like a lot for a rental who plays lovely defense. Soto is of course Soto and if this were 2 years or if the Yankees had a little less frigidity at the DH/OF defense or more SP stability I'd feel a little more ok with it. But situationally for the Yankees it feels like a lot to give up for an uncertain long term return.

See "too much" is a relative term. A team with more resources can afford to give up more without being hit as hard. I've heard "this trade should hurt" a lot from the baseball media but you still have to evaluate how and where it hurts and make sure you're not just creating more problems or holes. I don't know if Soto would be worth all of that. It certainly is possible. But it feels like a lot even if its not like blow away prospect package.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Popete posted:

Everyone's trying to follow the Phillies model to get players for dirt cheap.

Scott Kingery says hello

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1731358223360217422

It's Bob but also the same names everyone else has been saying. No GM is doing that for a one year rental

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There was an article in The Athletic yesterday about the Padres and Preller is directly quoted saying he's open to lower-level prospects. I get the impression that the problem is that the Yankees don't have the pieces to get a deal done so Preller is asking for quantity as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nodoze posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1731358223360217422

It's Bob but also the same names everyone else has been saying. No GM is doing that for a one year rental

It's still December so plenty of time for things to change