Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The only thing there is to be jealous about a pigeon is their blissful unawareness of the universe around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I think you're just jealous. Also pigeons = doves, and it's revealing how the same bird will get talked about so very differently after a simple rebranding campaign

"A white dove symbolizes peace and pacifism
A white dove is a pigeon, you muffugas is bigots"

Aesop Rock, Pigeonometry

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Here in the uk they call street pigeons kebab meat, though these day's due to inflation its usually cut with rat.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rubberduke posted:

I would agree with any other animal but pigeons are idiots who suck.

Turn on your monitor

Pigeons are highly intelligent and fascinating animals

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Jedit posted:

No? Here's a 1999-series Gambian license plate:

Same ABC1234D format, same colours. And for some mad reason, easier to find on the internet than a Singaporean license plate.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/driver-wipes-out-2-motorcycles-within-seconds-3-taken-to-hospital

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
<:mad:>

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Here in the uk they call street pigeons kebab meat, though these day's due to inflation its usually cut with rat.

Wot I calls, "enterprise"! Poppin' pussies into pies!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Drone_Fragger posted:

post/avatar combo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I loathe all birds.

Never trust a feathered biped.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A distant rumble of Diogenes shifting in his grave

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/dJEVuzU.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FreudianSlippers posted:

I loathe all birds.

Check this loser who doesn't think dinosaurs are cool

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If they're so cool they wouldn't all be dead.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

FreudianSlippers posted:

lol pwned

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I think you're just jealous. Also pigeons = doves, and it's revealing how the same bird will get talked about so very differently after a simple rebranding campaign

I had a pet ringneck dove and boy, did that experience drive home that they're just loving pigeons. Cute little guy but, a pigeon. No grace or peace involved.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FreudianSlippers posted:

they were optimized for being awesome, not being forever

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FreudianSlippers posted:

They arent though? Birds are dinosaurs

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Turn on your monitor

I've done bird banding, and most birds we caught with mist nets: extremely fine nets you hang between trees near food sources, practically invisible, that the birds fly into. You can then extract them from the nets, apply the bands, and release them.

Mourning doves (which are just pigeons but boring) are an exception. You catch those by putting a lobster trap on the ground and scattering some birdseed into it. They see nothing concerning about going into the metal cage on the ground and once inside, can't figure out how to leave through the open doorway. Then you just open the top and pull them out one by one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FreudianSlippers posted:

I loathe all birds.

...as opposed to a feathered quadraped...?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Samovar posted:

...as opposed to a feathered quadraped...?

owlbears are good boys

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Elias_Maluco posted:

Behold the work of a highly intelligent animal.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Doves are also dumb fucks.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I have killed dozens of men who dared not to show reverence to my chickens

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Behold the work of a highly intelligent animal.

Imagine thinking a bird that lives everywhere and thrives doesn't know how to build a safe nest with the minimum amount of effort, and thinking that because it doesn't look like Tweety Birds nest from the cartoon that it means the bird is dumb

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

Imagine thinking a bird that lives everywhere and thrives doesn't know how to build a safe nest with the minimum amount of effort, and thinking that because it doesn't look like Tweety Birds nest from the cartoon that it means the bird is dumb

You don't have to be smart to survive.

Look at goons.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Lotta sky rat sympathizers itt

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My daughter just made a short documentary video extolling the virtues of pigeons for a media studies class, and I am reporting this thread to her for retribution.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pigeons are the humans of the bird family. They are stupid and ugly and filthy and mean and self destructive, yet they are everywhere and spreading by the day

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

I'm biased because my family in Europe breed pigeons, but it sucks they were bred for hundreds of years then people decided "eh nvm", let them go free and feral, then got mad at them for having the audacity to continue living but. I'm also sensitive and love pigeons

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

CainFortea posted:

You don't have to be smart to survive.

Look at goons.

There's a TikTok/YouTuber called "Casual Geographic" who has pointed out that in nature the only thing a species has to do is survive long enough to reproduce in order to get a passing grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdgPSJxvAYY

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cat posts.txt posted:

I'm biased because my family in Europe breed pigeons, but it sucks they were bred for hundreds of years then people decided "eh nvm", let them go free and feral, then got mad at them for having the audacity to continue living but. I'm also sensitive and love pigeons

a cat posted this.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Crescent Wrench posted:

Lotta sky rat sympathizers itt

I'll defend land rats too, you crocodile

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Elias_Maluco posted:

lmao I've seen a pigeon fly full speed into a solid brick wall

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

TACD posted:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, science says they are smart

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-asymmetric-brain/201907/the-surprising-neuroscience-pigeon-intelligence

quote:

Pigeons can discriminate Picasso paintings from Monets. In 1995, Japanese scientists tested the visual abilities of pigeons in an unusual way: They showed the birds paintings by Picasso and Monet (Watanabe et al., 1995). Pigeons were trained to discriminate between photographs of Monet and Picasso paintings. They had no problems doing this. Then they were tested with other pictures by the two artists they had never seen before. Still, the birds had no problem discriminating between the artworks. Fascinatingly, the birds were also able to discriminate between the works of other Cubist artists and other Impressionist artists. This shows that pigeons can categorize complex man-made artworks and even discriminate between two art movements—something even some humans without a background in art history might have problems with.

Pigeons can detect cancer in radiology images. Another unusual experiment on the amazing visual abilities of pigeons was conducted in 2015: Here, the authors tested whether pigeons were able to discriminate benign from malignant human breast tumors in medical images (Levenson et al., 2015). Human medical professionals go through years of highly specialized training before they can reliably detect cancer. Using food rewards, the birds were trained to discriminate between pictures of malignant and benign tissue samples. Later they were shown novel images from both categories and were still able to discriminate between malignant and benign tissue samples. Thus, although detecting breast cancer in medical images is a task that requires considerable training and is very difficult for inexperienced humans, pigeons showed a remarkable ability to make the correct diagnosis. Of course, no clinic will ever use pigeons in medical diagnostics, but the experiment clearly shows how impressive the visual abilities of these birds are.

Pigeons are on par with primates when it comes to counting. When asked which group of animals is the most intelligent, most people will probably answer primates, the order of animals that contains apes like chimpanzees and gorillas and monkeys like baboons and macaques. But did you know that the numerical abilities of pigeons are on par with that of primates? In a 2011 study, researchers from the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand, investigated whether pigeons showed the ability to learn abstract numerical rules (Scarf et al., 2011). Many animal species have been shown to be able to discriminate between different numbers, e.g., 2 and 20 food pellets. This is an easy task that even insects like honeybees can solve. However, up to that point only primates had been shown to be able to solve more complex mathematical problems like counting from one to nine. The New Zealand researchers presented the birds with sets of visual figures that always contained one, two, and three objects. The birds were trained to respond to the stimuli in ascending order from one to three. The birds could not only do this task, but a similar task with new stimulus sets containing one to nine objects. Thus, pigeons can count from one to nine, just like monkeys – a task that is impossible for many other species.

Pigeons can recognize words. An important part of reading is the ability to visually recognize words (orthographic knowledge). In a 2016 study (Scarf et al., 2016), a research team from New Zealand and Germany showed that humans are not the only species with orthographic abilities: Pigeons can be trained to discriminate words from meaningless combinations of letters. Using food rewards, pigeons learned between 26 and 58 words and were able to discriminate them from 7,832 meaningless four-letter combinations. Moreover, the birds were able to discriminate completely new words they had never seen during training from meaningless letter combinations. This shows that the pigeons had a representation of what a word is in their brains – and that the neural bases of reading, a skill thought to be uniquely human, is also present in animal brains decidedly different from ours.

Pigeons have an amazing memory. When thinking of animals with great memory, most people would probably come up with elephants. But in a German study from 1990 (von Fersen and Güntürkün, 1990), pigeons were trained to memorize 725 random black-and-white visual patterns. The patterns did not share any systematic characteristics, so the pigeons had to memorize them one by one. The animals needed to identify the 100 “positive” patterns from the 625 "negative" patterns to obtain food rewards. This is a memory task so complex that most humans would have trouble with it. Nevertheless, the pigeons had no problems with this complicated task.

Conclusion

Many of us tend to think that there some animal species that are particularly intelligent, like dogs, dolphins, or apes. We underestimate the cognitive capabilities of species we see as pests. Despite their reputation, research shows that pigeons have amazing visual, numerical and memory abilities on par with some of the smartest species.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

TACD posted:

Grouse are the dumbest birds in existence. There's a whole joke genre called "And that's how I got my grouse dinner!" from accidentally flushing them and having them fly straight into trees, walls, vehicles... whatever stationary object is nearby... hard enough to kill themselves. Their whole survival strategy is "poo poo out billions of eggs and hope some of them make it".

Pigeons are a different order but they're probably not far off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

They've reproduced, they're more knowledgeable about art...what else do pigeons have over me :sigh:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

They've reproduced, they're more knowledgeable about art...what else do pigeons have over me :sigh:

They smell nicer and are better at holding a conversation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tagra posted:

Grouse are the dumbest birds in existence. There's a whole joke genre called "And that's how I got my grouse dinner!" from accidentally flushing them and having them fly straight into trees, walls, vehicles... whatever stationary object is nearby... hard enough to kill themselves. Their whole survival strategy is "poo poo out billions of eggs and hope some of them make it".

Pigeons are a different order but they're probably not far off.

https://i.imgur.com/vNJav1f.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Casual Geographic's newest was about how we've done the noble pidgeon real dirty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3kwJSEdCWQ