Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well I used the analog stick to move around same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

For what it’s worth, you CAN make the jump without the platform. You can get enough air to just barely grab the bottom of the vine and then, instead of climbing, jump up and away from the vine, then quickly back towards it to get a grip higher up before you fall too far down.

You know, if you forget about the platform in the game you’ve been playing for 27+ years…

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

feetnotes posted:

You know, if you forget about the platform in the game you’ve been playing for 27+ years…

Hey now, some of us never played the original because we grew up in hosed up homes with a Genesis, a Gameboy, and then an N64 :colbert:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

feetnotes posted:

My "this was an issue 27 years ago and it's come back to haunt me" moment was searching for the cliff where the Paratroopas help you up. It's not very intuitive!

Special shout-out to that vine, though. As noted, it IS possible to make the jump, but that requires letting go of the down input for the single frame that Mario will dangle from the very bottom... which is beyond me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

General side-note, but I really wish Super Mario RPG had an option for an isometric control scheme (eg; Diagonal-right is "up") for some of the platforming.

The original has that control scheme.

The remake moves Mario in the direction you press on the stick or pad.

Mrs. Rainbowbeard refused to play the original because of this. It was never a big deal to me, but she's giving the remake a shot because it doesn't control like the original.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Space Fish posted:

My "this was an issue 27 years ago and it's come back to haunt me" moment was searching for the cliff where the Paratroopas help you up. It's not very intuitive!

Special shout-out to that vine, though. As noted, it IS possible to make the jump, but that requires letting go of the down input for the single frame that Mario will dangle from the very bottom... which is beyond me.

What's the trick with the Paratroopas? I swear I was able to get the Troopa Pin from that maybe... once in my youth, and it took me ages and ages of practice to get. I can't manage it in my old age!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Too bad, I’ve only become stronger with age

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
there isn't really a trick to it, you just gotta practice and learn where you can jump to the next koopa

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There's a bunch of shortcut jumps you can make without having to wait for the koopa to meet up with the next one.

The remake actually makes this easier since the different hitboxes let you cut across the koopas more easily. Of course they accounted for this, and lowered the par time to get the Troopa Medal by 1 second in this version.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Space Fish posted:

i had to look at a guide for that part too, stupid old brain

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The original has that control scheme.

The remake moves Mario in the direction you press on the stick or pad.

Mrs. Rainbowbeard refused to play the original because of this. It was never a big deal to me, but she's giving the remake a shot because it doesn't control like the original.

what? that isn't how the original plays. isometric games used to be everywhere back in the day though, you might be thinking of one of them instead.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Why did I sleep on Brotato? It's awesome!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Grabbed Rogue Glitch Ultra - fun roguelite action/platform game. Definitely see myself losing lots of time to it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

What's the trick with the Paratroopas? I swear I was able to get the Troopa Pin from that maybe... once in my youth, and it took me ages and ages of practice to get. I can't manage it in my old age!

Just practice when the earliest you can make each jump is and it’s pretty easy. There’s only like one or two tricky jumps

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009
Before the sale ends, someone recommend either Persona 5 or Dragon Quest 11 to a dude who has only played a handful of JRPGs.

For context, when I was 16, I bought Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 and never really played it because Halo 2 existed. I'm currently 30 hours into DQIV and my review so far would be "7/10, enjoying the quests and combat and music and visuals, probably only playing it because it's on my phone".

I have no experience with Persona games but I hear P5 is something special. I also heard that there's so kind of mechanic where you have to start a chapter over if you don't finish the dungeon stuff before the school semester ends, which sounds just awful; but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

CaptainCourteous fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 4, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Play DQXI. It's one of the best RPGs ever and I think you'll love it if you just like IV.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Regy Rusty posted:

Play DQXI.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CaptainCourteous posted:

Before the sale ends, someone recommend either Persona 5 or Dragon Quest 11 to a dude who has only played a handful of JRPGs.

For context, when I was 16, I bought Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 and never really played it because Halo 2 existed. I'm currently 30 hours into DQIV and my review so far would be "7/10, enjoying the quests and combat and music and visuals, probably only playing it because it's on my phone".

I have no experience with Persona games but I hear P5 is something special. I also heard that there's so kind of mechanic where you have to start a chapter over if you don't finish the dungeon stuff before the school semester ends, which sounds just awful; but maybe I'm misunderstanding.
Both are very good games IMO. Both are very long, but they're very good. DQ11 is the classic JRPG formula refined and distilled until it's something special. There are very few surprises in store, but the game is the Platonic ideal of the JRPG. Persona 5 has time-management and social-sim elements, which may not be for everyone, but also a great aesthetic and an incredible sense of style.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I personally like the Persona games more than Dragon Quest, but DQ11 is very good.

Persona is MUCH more anime.

Also, while I really like Persona 5, I like Persona 4 even more - I feel like it's just a bit better all around: story, setting, and characters.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Persona is the type of game I play with half a dozen tabs open on my browser for helping with time management in the life sim, answers to pop quizzes, fusion calculators and so on.

Dragon Quest is a game I play with a good podcast.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

My vote goes to Persona 5 because it’s one of the best games in the genre I’ve ever played hands down but I’ve also never touched a Dragon Quest but they sound very “this is the epitome of what you think of when you think of the term JRPG”

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Annath posted:

I personally like the Persona games more than Dragon Quest, but DQ11 is very good.

Also, while I really like Persona 5, I like Persona 4 even more - I feel like it's just a bit better all around: story, setting, and characters.

I love 4, it was my first game in the series and it captivated me. It also has the comfy “small town” vibe that the others don’t. Going from 4 to 5 was a revelation though. 5 is head and shoulders above it in production value and almost every other department. I’d never dissuade someone from playing 4, but 5 is objectively the best one yet.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
DQXI is one of the best JRPGs of all time.

Persona 5 is good, but it peaks 10 hours in for a 100+ hour game.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Buying a used Switch OLED locally, never owned a switch before. Seller says its mint in box. What should I look for? What are common issues? Should/can I check if its banned or anything? Is that even a thing with Switches?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Alacron posted:

Persona is the type of game I play with half a dozen tabs open on my browser for helping with time management in the life sim, answers to pop quizzes, fusion calculators and so on.

I play games that are interesting enough not to require external simulation instead.

My vote is neither of those. Chained Echoes or Sea of Stars would be better.

(DQ11 has great presentation and characters but everything else is so by the numbers that it bored me so much.)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You do not need to keep a guide handy to enjoy Persona lmao

Some just can't play games without them.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

tripwood posted:

I play games that are interesting enough not to require external simulation instead.

This

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Shaocaholica posted:

Buying a used Switch OLED locally, never owned a switch before. Seller says its mint in box. What should I look for? What are common issues? Should/can I check if its banned or anything? Is that even a thing with Switches?

The only problem I've ever had with my switches (2 regular, 2 lite, 1 OLED which has been replaced by Nintendo twice in the last year) is this freaky problem where it refuses to acknowledge wired input of any kind whether it be network or controller. It will output video just fine and charge, but no usb input, which made it so I couldn't sync my arcade stick and couldn't use my grip controller. The only other instance I have encountered about this at all in one other person who has the same exact switch (Splatoon 3 oled) and using the same retroflag control grip - the one which looks like a gamecube controller.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

tripwood posted:

(DQ11 has great presentation and characters but everything else is so by the numbers that it bored me so much.)

DQ series is 100% a by the numbers series. They set out to make a hot bowl of your favorite soup on a cold, wet day. Nothing risky or unexpected, just good characters and bad puns.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How long does the SMRPG post game content take to do?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How long does the SMRPG post game content take to do?

shouldn't be more than an hour or two, depending on how much trouble the bosses give you. they're not that much of a step up compared to the rest of the game, they just have proper gimmicks this time around so you need to strategize a bit rather than smashing them into the dirt with a big cartoon mallet

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

Alacron posted:

The latter sounds way more the mood I'm in.

Annath posted:

Good insight. Not so into that.

tripwood posted:

My vote is neither of those. Chained Echoes or Sea of Stars would be better.

I'll check em out.

Thanks for the advice folks. Think I'm gonna go DQ11 for now and maybe look for a deal on Persona 4 or Portable so I can check out the series.

CaptainCourteous fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 4, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
DQ XI and Persona 5 are two REALLY great games and I've been meh on most JRPGs since the SNES

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DQXI has Sylvando.... nuf said

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fuligin posted:

DQXI has Sylvando.... nuf said

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sylvando's one of those characters where you think he can't live up to the hype and then he lives up to in the first five minutes of his appearance and keeps improving from there

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

C OCK INJURED

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Palmtree Panic posted:

Persona 5 is good, but it peaks 10 hours in for a 100+ hour game.
yes but by then it has it's hooks in

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

bowmore posted:

yes but by then it has it's hooks in

My discord notification is Hey!Hey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

CaptainCourteous posted:

The latter sounds way more the mood I'm in.

Good insight. Not so into that.

I'll check em out.

Thanks for the advice folks. Think I'm gonna go DQ11 for now and maybe look for a deal on Persona 4 or Portable so I can check out the series.

Grab P4 Golden on PC, or the P3 remaster, not "Persona 3 Reload". Reload isn't out yet, but it's apparently missing all the content added to P3 in the "Portable" and "FES" versions.