Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Watching "Obliterated" on Netflix at the moment. It's, well, pretty dumb. And surprisingly filled with male full-frontal. But what bugs me is the reveal that the woman that they found in the bad guy's compound, that they brought with them the whole night, that she's oops a bad guy? The fact that it's supposed to be a surprise of some sort even though it's so goddamn obvious, from the first moment she enters the scene, when she's given the tablet, when she's left alone at any point. Everything else in the movie I can tolerate, but that's the most annoying part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Alhazred posted:

They're not even mad that he built a trap for them. Instead they're all like "you built all this...for us?:allears:"

My headcannon for Hellraiser is that it's not all about BDSM hooks and body modifications. There's other sensations to explore.

"Tonight, we will be having Japanese-Mexican-Korean fusion burritos. They are... to die for."

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“Behold, the furthest boundaries of sensation where pleasure and pain become on: world’s hottest chip challenge.”

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

My headcannon for Hellraiser is that it's not all about BDSM hooks and body modifications. There's other sensations to explore.

"Tonight, we will be having Japanese-Mexican-Korean fusion burritos. They are... to die for."

That's the original novela version. It's too much everything, not just sex stuff:

The Hellbound Heart posted:

But the smell of burning was only the beginning. No sooner had he registered it than half a dozen other scents filled his head. Perfumes he had scarcely noticed until now were suddenly overpoweringly strong. The lingering scent of filched blossoms; the smell of the paint on the ceiling and the sap in the wood beneath his feet—all filled his head. He could even smell the darkness outside the door, and in it, the ordure of a hundred thousand birds.

He put his hand to his mouth and nose, to stop the onslaught from overcoming him, but the stench of perspiration on his fingers made him giddy. He might have been driven to nausea had there not been fresh sensations flooding his system from each nerve ending and taste bud.

It seemed he could suddenly feel the collision of the dust motes with his skin. Every drawn breath chafed his lips; every blink, his eyes. Bile burned in the back of his throat, and a morsel of yesterday’s beef that had lodged between his teeth sent spasms through his system as it exuded a droplet of gravy upon his tongue.

His ears were no less sensitive. His head was filled with a thousand dins, some of which he himself was father to. The air that broke against his eardrums was a hurricane; the flatulence in his bowels was thunder. But there were other sounds—innumerable sounds—which assailed him from somewhere beyond himself. Voices raised in anger, whispered professions of love, roars and rattlings, snatches of song, tears.

Was it the world he was hearing—morning breaking in a thousand homes? He had no chance to listen closely; the cacophony drove any power of analysis from his head.

But there was worse. The eyes! Oh god in heaven, he had never guessed that they could be such torment; he, who’d thought there was nothing on earth left to startle him. Now he reeled! Everywhere, sight!

The plain plaster of the ceiling was an awesome geography of brush strokes. The weave of his plain shirt an unbearable elaboration of threads. In the corner he saw a mite move on a dead dove’s head, and wink its eyes at him, seeing that he saw. Too much! Too much!

Appalled, he shut his eyes. But there was more inside than out; memories whose violence shook him to the verge of senselessness. He sucked his mother’s milk, and choked; felt his sibling’s arms around him (a fight, was it, or a brotherly embrace? Either way, it suffocated). And more; so much more. A short lifetime of sensations, all writ in a perfect hand upon his cortex, and breaking him with their insistence that they be remembered.

He felt close to exploding. Surely the world outside his head—the room, and the birds beyond the door—they, for all their shrieking excesses, could not be as overwhelming as his memories. Better that, he thought, and tried to open his eyes. But they wouldn’t unglue. Tears or pus or needle and thread had sealed them up.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Foxfire_ posted:

That's the original novela version. It's too much everything, not just sex stuff:

Oh, that's pretty cool! I'll have to read the novella.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Foxfire_ posted:

It's like how demons work in the Unknown Armies RPG. A demon just wants to do whatever its obsession was in life, so if you get possessed by a demon it might just take your body on down to Taco Bell and eat cheesy stuffed gorditas until your stomach ruptures, but it's not going to sit there and talk about how your mother sucks cocks in hell.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

They're not even mad that he built a trap for them. Instead they're all like "you built all this...for us?:allears:"

I mean, they'd be deeply hypocritical to complain, wouldn't they?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So I just got out of Godzilla Minus One and while it was overall an excellent flick it kind of pulled its punches near the end. Shikishima with the secret ejection seat was a good twist and made for a good visual aid to him working to overcome his survivor’s guilt, but Noriko surviving despite all evidence to the contrary really bugged me. The movie goes out of its way to show the indiscriminate destruction of it all, along with her trying to save Shikishima at the expense of herself… only to have her show up at the end with some bandages. It felt so out of place in a movie with a major theme of figuring out how to live after the horrors of war and losing people close to you because of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, they'd be deeply hypocritical to complain, wouldn't they?

Whenever has that stopped a corporate manager?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know I'm not a teen girl or boy so not the target audience but the new Proud Family def has some issues. The 'super woke' girl who does nothing but start poo poo being one of them. But there was an episode where some new Hollywood actor teenager came to the high school, and while every girl freaked out and several abandoned their boyfriends (including some of the main cast) to date him, new kid zero'd in on the awkward loser white kid Zoe, and decided to date her. I think she was the only person not squealing and freaking out when he was introduced, mostly because she was stuffing her face with lunch.

Which left the main cast all flustered. Until the super woke girl commented that the actor ONLY dates white girls. So now everyone in the friend group is against the only white kid friend because "she stole our man." They refuse to talk to her anymore, uninvite her from their annual party, and generally treat her like she did them wrong. And offscreen apparently, near the end of the episode actor-boyfriend does confirm the rumor, so she dumps him, and everyone is friends again but they all agree to hate the actor kid until he transfers cause Men Cause All The Problems.

Very Special Episode about racism and friends stabbing you in the back and 90% of it happens off screen when it comes to actual issues being worked on. No one ever calls out the main girls for turning on their friend based on a rumor; it would have been better if it was just a rumor and he dated her just because she had glasses or just wasn't fawning all over him like everyone else. Maybe they broke up because he was using her for a publicity stunt or lost a dare or something. or the rumor could have been true and the friend group overheard it, and spent the episode trying to warn her while she blew them off.

Then again there's always been the weird sense to me about the show because so many light-skinned POC characters (not white directly) are seen as the sane sensible ones, and POC with darker skin are usually the comic relief. Then there's the sister trio who have loving gray skin; I am pretty sure they are not supposed to be zombies?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I love Beetlejuice and rewatched it recently but the ending has always bugged me. Just "sandworm out of nowhere". Reminded me that, even at his peak, Burton seems to have a difficult time ending his movies. They're a lot of fun (especially his older ones) but so many of them just kinda...stop and then that's it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cowslips Warren posted:

Then there's the sister trio who have loving gray skin; I am pretty sure they are not supposed to be zombies?

The answer may surprise you!*

DISNEY'S BLUE BULLIES Why are the Gross Sisters blue on The Proud Family?

quote:

Due to their parents' lack of funds to provide expenses such as moisturizer and skincare, the Gross Sisters' lack of lotion product usage resulted in their dry, blue skin tone.

* Because of how stupid it is.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BiggerBoat posted:

I love Beetlejuice and rewatched it recently but the ending has always bugged me. Just "sandworm out of nowhere". Reminded me that, even at his peak, Burton seems to have a difficult time ending his movies. They're a lot of fun (especially his older ones) but so many of them just kinda...stop and then that's it.

Pretty sure Geena Davis' character rides the worm. Beetlemeyer zaps her into the desert and there she turns to an approaching worm with murder in her eyes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Grendels Dad posted:

Pretty sure Geena Davis' character rides the worm. Beetlemeyer zaps her into the desert and there she turns to an approaching worm with murder in her eyes.

I know. It just all seemed so...abrupt and out of nowhere.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah, I'll agree with that. Just wanted to point out that it's not a random sandworm.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean they established in the beginning that you can't just leave because the desert outside the house is filled with sandworm monsters. I didn't find it particularly sudden or out-of-nowhere.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah but there's a line or something earlier that also established the desert as being on Saturn, so... Yeah I wouldn't think you could get from Sandworm Saturn back to your home via Sandworm through the roof ..like, I'd think only the door is the portal, or something.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Uh. That's pretty.....what.

They have gray skin because they're poor?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Beetlejuice, It always irrationally annoyed me that everyone forgets his name is actually spelled "Betelgeuse", like the star. "Beetlejuice" is a comedic misspelling caused by the fact that he originally communicates his name to the daughter as a phonetic rebus - a beetle + a glass of juice - and the dumb daughter doesn't get it. Thus, the name of the movie is "Beetlejuice", referring to this amusing misunderstanding, but when referring to the character, one should always spell the name correctly as "Betelgeuse".

Just look at IMDB:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

SimonChris posted:

Speaking of Beetlejuice, It always irrationally annoyed me that everyone forgets his name is actually spelled "Betelgeuse", like the star. "Beetlejuice" is a comedic misspelling caused by the fact that he originally communicates his name to the daughter as a phonetic rebus - a beetle + a glass of juice - and the dumb daughter doesn't get it. Thus, the name of the movie is "Beetlejuice", referring to this amusing misunderstanding, but when referring to the character, one should always spell the name correctly as "Betelgeuse".

Just look at IMDB:

I had no idea!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cowslips Warren posted:

Uh. That's pretty.....what.

They have gray skin because they're poor?

The joke is that they're ashy (black people with dry skin) so they're literally ash colored. It's kinda weird.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Sounds like pig pen from peanuts

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SimonChris posted:

Just look at IMDB:

I thought it was how nobody, including Battlejoes should state his name. BJ because the rules say so, everybody else because they wouldn't want to accidentally summon him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured he's just terrible at spelling his own name.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
IMDB doesn't mean poo poo.

How is his name spelled in the credits of the movie?

e: and there it is, the geuse win:

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Dec 4, 2023

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
His headstone says it it

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Maybe they didn't want to put "Betelgeuse" on the VHS cover because they assumed audiences are dumb?

Kind of like how Charlie and the Chocolate Factory became Willy Wonka because Charlie was the guy killing GI Joe over in Vietnam at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QR Code Geass posted:

Maybe they didn't want to put "Betelgeuse" on the VHS cover because they assumed audiences are dumb?

Kind of like how Charlie and the Chocolate Factory became Willy Wonka because Charlie was the guy killing GI Joe over in Vietnam at the time.

Well, now that's a movie I really want to see.

That said given the tone of the movie the name misspelling is probably absolutely the point.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Battlegoose
Battlegoose
Battlegoose

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Darthemed posted:

Battlegoose
Battlegoose
Battlegoose

It's showtime

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Kramdar posted:

His headstone says it it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYlj-btwi6o

It's all over the commercial as well. It's funny how the misspelling has become so iconic that everyone just tunes this out.

Grendels Dad posted:

I thought it was how nobody, including Battlejoes should state his name. BJ because the rules say so, everybody else because they wouldn't want to accidentally summon him.

"Beetlejuice" does summon him, though. That's the whole point. He wants the daughter to say his name three times to summon him, but he is not allowed to say it himself, so he shows her a beetle and a glass of juice, so she will say something close enough to count. Whichever higher power decides these things is apparently willing to cut him some slack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v61TukBopHY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Standardised spelling is pretty relatively new in the big scheme of things in English at least, we've got evidence of William Shakespeare signing his own name in a number of different ways.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat those dictionaries and their homogenization of spelling

actually this was infact a thing on a recent npr book author thing i heard about how some of the first dictionaries were the first "authorities" on stuff. funny how that works out.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

And the name "Betelgeuse" itself comes from the Arabic for "hand of Orion"

not super relevant, but neat

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FFT posted:

And the name "Betelgeuse" itself comes from the Arabic for "hand of Orion"

not super relevant, but neat

Ah, so Orion's hand spends all it's time in his belt? Dirty boy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BioEnchanted posted:

Ah, so Orion's hand spends all it's time in his belt? Dirty boy.
Wrong star. Betelgeuse is the right shoulder star if you assume Orion is facing Earth and firing a bow.

Might be mixing it up with the triple or binary star systems that make up the outer points of the Belt. Would be entertaining to go into the "sword"

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Dec 4, 2023

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Wikipedia posted:

Retrospectively, McDowell was impressed at how many people made the connection between the film's title and the star Betelgeuse.[10] He added that the writers and producers had received a suggestion the sequel be named Sanduleak -69 202 after the former star of SN 1987A.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYlj-btwi6o

It's all over the commercial as well. It's funny how the misspelling has become so iconic that everyone just tunes this out.

"Beetlejuice" does summon him, though. That's the whole point. He wants the daughter to say his name three times to summon him, but he is not allowed to say it himself, so he shows her a beetle and a glass of juice, so she will say something close enough to count. Whichever higher power decides these things is apparently willing to cut him some slack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v61TukBopHY

The Beetlejuice broadway show - which is spelled Beetlejuice - is one of the most fantastic shows I've ever been to. It was fantastic by every measure, and everyone who is a Beetlejuice fan should make it a point to go.

Edit: in googling the show to make sure it was spelled Beetlejuice I just saw that they're making a Beetlejuice 2 where the girl from Wednesday is playing Winona Ryder's daughter.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Phanatic posted:

It's like how demons work in the Unknown Armies RPG. A demon just wants to do whatever its obsession was in life, so if you get possessed by a demon it might just take your body on down to Taco Bell and eat cheesy stuffed gorditas until your stomach ruptures, but it's not going to sit there and talk about how your mother sucks cocks in hell.

that sounds like ghosts more than demons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Beetlejuice/Betelgeuse discussion has convinced me my life is a shithole of lies