Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You mean this bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Am-Zs1-vss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

General Battuta posted:

One of my favorite string-adjacent WONTFIX bugs in Destiny 1 was, the first time you go to the Black Garden, Dinklebot says something about how he has no idea where in time and space you are.

Then the god drat bubble name popup appears. MERIDIAN BAY, MARS or whatever it was. Awful timing.

lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

One of my favorite string-adjacent WONTFIX bugs in Destiny 1 was, the first time you go to the Black Garden, Dinklebot says something about how he has no idea where in time and space you are.

Then the god drat bubble name popup appears. MERIDIAN BAY, MARS or whatever it was. Awful timing.

Lmao

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Lib and let die posted:

Error code: WHYDOESTHISTABLEEVENEXIST

True story: the global master data segment in 16bit Windows was named BURGERMASTER (the name of a Seattle burger chain) for years, because there was a Burgermaster next door to the Northrup office and the guy writing that code was hungry

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

If your variable name is good enough, sometimes they let you keep it

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I'm thinking of getting back into this after not playing for ages, I think season of the undying was the last time I played? Should I bother grabbing the witch queen or go straight into lightfall?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

its all nice on rice posted:

Found these funny:
First we have a tutorial popup for fireteam finder when it isn't active-

Second, we have an artifact mod that allows rocket launchers to give overload champions mental conditions-

Don't forget the activity modifier that sets your light level to 5.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Further Reading posted:

I'm thinking of getting back into this after not playing for ages, I think season of the undying was the last time I played? Should I bother grabbing the witch queen or go straight into lightfall?
I guess you could start with Lightfall and then work your way back. Witch Queen has the better campaign, I am not sure what stuff you get beyond Witch queen itself. Lightfall's the current expansion, and there's 4 seasons worth of stuff you could pursue and do at your own leisure. We have an extended season due to Management Fuckery, so you have 180 days to putz around and do what you feel is fun.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

sometimes this game is good to me

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sestze posted:

I guess you could start with Lightfall and then work your way back. Witch Queen has the better campaign, I am not sure what stuff you get beyond Witch queen itself.
You'd get access to Osteo Striga, Dead Messenger*, and the VoD weapons as the high points, plus Parasite for laughs and A-Trax nuking if you want DSC weapons.

*I forget if everyone has free access to the exotic mission rotators or if you need the associated expansions.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
How much of a meme is pvp in this game?
Asking as someone who only played 3 rumble matches ever and they were all 2 min stomps, with one match where a guy had some sort of fully automatic Lord of Wolves that I think he hacked in the game.

EDIT : So I tried playing rumble and noticed the following:

*Most people are using some 1-shot loadout like a shotgun-melee , or sniper.
*Plenty of spawn killing, as in dying in less then 1 second after spawning.
*My guns do almost no damage to enemy players, while they can take me off with an smg at mid range. Stats or my poor aim?
*Time to kill is way too low.

That's my review of destiny 2 pvp as a non pvp player.

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 4, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am decidedly *not* a PvP player, my choice is PvE for 95% of the time. When I jump in to PvP I can get my rear end handed often, and that's expected.

Rumble is the sweatiest mode, something I also found out the hard way. Control and similar is gonna feel much "fairer" than the free for all survival mode. One shot weapons are conditional, like a sniper rifle is one shot, if you actually get a head shot, etc. And they get, like, 2 bullets, so hope you nail it.

Spawn killing in rumble is, yeah, a thing. That's rumble. Avoid it unless you are already decent at PvP imo.

Guns will always work within a similar TTK, at varying distances. In SMG range you're gonna get shredded if you're using a longer range weapon, because each hit is gonna induce flinch and that'll gently caress your aim. A random Auto Rifle sits around 30m at damage dropoff. An SMG is sitting at like 15m. At 30m an AR is starting to drop off in damage where an SMG is doing basically nothing. Learning engagement ranges is pretty important.

Checkmate is a mode that generally ups all TTKs, give that a shot.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pvp is all about awareness. Speaking as a non-pvp player, in a game that has .6 second ttk, just knowing the map and where people go and how they behave is way more important than yer gun.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sample_text posted:

How much of a meme is pvp in this game?
Asking as someone who only played 3 rumble matches ever and they were all 2 min stomps, with one match where a guy had some sort of fully automatic Lord of Wolves that I think he hacked in the game.

EDIT : So I tried playing rumble and noticed the following:

*Most people are using some 1-shot loadout like a shotgun-melee , or sniper.
*Plenty of spawn killing, as in dying in less then 1 second after spawning.
*My guns do almost no damage to enemy players, while they can take me off with an smg at mid range. Stats or my poor aim?
*Time to kill is way too low.

That's my review of destiny 2 pvp as a non pvp player.

In general, echoing "Avoid Rumble", it's where the sweatiest sweats go. Great if it's what you want, terrible if you're just looking to shoot some space wizards.

Check out Control, it ostensibly has Skill Based Matchmaking so you should be on relatively even terms, though I know they're loosening the bands and fooling around with "Fireteam based matchmaking" so YMMV.

In general, the poo poo they do a very bad job explaining is a lot of poo poo doesn't work the same/at all in PVP as PVE, so if you just pop in with your same PVE loadout you're completely unprepared, gearwise. There are some guides that can go into it a lot more accurately/in depth, but basically your goal changes from optimizing for maximum cool space wizard poo poo to optimizing for most consistent gun poo poo/most survivable. It's really hard to pull off a lot of the fancy PVE poo poo in PVP because of reduced timers and someone actively playing the opponent instead of an AI.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

syntaxfunction posted:

I am decidedly *not* a PvP player, my choice is PvE for 95% of the time. When I jump in to PvP I can get my rear end handed often, and that's expected.

Rumble is the sweatiest mode, something I also found out the hard way. Control and similar is gonna feel much "fairer" than the free for all survival mode. One shot weapons are conditional, like a sniper rifle is one shot, if you actually get a head shot, etc. And they get, like, 2 bullets, so hope you nail it.

Spawn killing in rumble is, yeah, a thing. That's rumble. Avoid it unless you are already decent at PvP imo.

Guns will always work within a similar TTK, at varying distances. In SMG range you're gonna get shredded if you're using a longer range weapon, because each hit is gonna induce flinch and that'll gently caress your aim. A random Auto Rifle sits around 30m at damage dropoff. An SMG is sitting at like 15m. At 30m an AR is starting to drop off in damage where an SMG is doing basically nothing. Learning engagement ranges is pretty important.

Checkmate is a mode that generally ups all TTKs, give that a shot.

EVGA Longoria posted:

In general, echoing "Avoid Rumble", it's where the sweatiest sweats go. Great if it's what you want, terrible if you're just looking to shoot some space wizards.

Check out Control, it ostensibly has Skill Based Matchmaking so you should be on relatively even terms, though I know they're loosening the bands and fooling around with "Fireteam based matchmaking" so YMMV.

In general, the poo poo they do a very bad job explaining is a lot of poo poo doesn't work the same/at all in PVP as PVE, so if you just pop in with your same PVE loadout you're completely unprepared, gearwise. There are some guides that can go into it a lot more accurately/in depth, but basically your goal changes from optimizing for maximum cool space wizard poo poo to optimizing for most consistent gun poo poo/most survivable. It's really hard to pull off a lot of the fancy PVE poo poo in PVP because of reduced timers and someone actively playing the opponent instead of an AI.

This turned out to be the issue, thanks both of you.
I wandered into it assuming " well of course the free for all deathmatch is going to be the most casual mode, after all it has the fewest rules".
I ignored the part where it says "connection based matchmaking".

I still die on Control, but I have a good idea what kills me and why. My main strategy is just carefully peaking around corners taking potshots with my Suros Regime. I'm not getting the most use out of all the mobility , but I don't get destroyed by the people wielding bows either.
I don't think this mode is miserable, I might actually go back to it ocasionally since I note it's a ridiculously quick way to get legendary gear for shards.
The main reason I even bothered with it was for the fusion rifle. Which in some insane stroke of luck I got on my third try. Charge Time masterwork, charge time coils, and a damage perk. Basically my go-to weapon when I'm using the Graviton Lance.
In the same week the gunsmith guy decided to ship another rapid-fire fusion with charge time masterwork and fast-coils, so I just stacked them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

It would probably help if SMGs had more of a sane range. I love ARs in PvE, but in PvP the window at which an AR has a better effective range than an SMG is the range at which the other player whips out a scout or sniper and then outranges you again.

SMGs are better at short bursts of high damage which is all you really get in most PvP encounters. They very much seem like they're balanced for kb/m players where thanks to the reduced recoil they can functionally outrange ARs with the right perks. And handcannons seem to just cover every range, particularly if you can roll timed payload or explosive rounds and just ignore half the range anyway. .

I get that there's supposed to be range as this huge factor in PvP, but in practice you're either close up and get shotgunned, or long range and get sniped. Balancing PvP is pretty pointless while these guns that can do a huge chunk of damage exist and can easily be refilled on kill.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Iron Banner starts tomorrow at reset and that’s been retooled in the last year or so to be a “use whatever, we don’t care” mode that completely equalizes Power level across the board; it also has exclusive cosmetics and weapons and is generally either a variant of Control or Clash (standard deathmatch) so it’ll have a lot of players of all kinds of skill levels.

I’m also not a huge PvP fan, nor am I particularly good at it—I usually place high Bronze or low Silver in comp—but IB and the silly gimmick modes like Mayhem or Team Scorched are generally more fun for people like us

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
IB eruption is the most bullshit not fun mode. drat near in all of the PvP modes. Punishing players for going on streaks is such horseshit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Plus Iron Banner means a week of unceasing Jötun spam.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobby Deluxe posted:

As is tradition

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Eruption is actually very fun, all you need to do is keep tagging the person facing down the best guy on your team

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I like Eruption, though mostly I think because it followed rift. They could have introduced a mode where the objective is to punch me (and only me, out of the entire playerbase) in the face repeatedly and it still would have been a relief.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Rift is the best mode in the game. all you have to do is run away! that’s what I do best! my Elo has always been insane where Rift is concerned, especially compared to the rest of my poo poo

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

:sickos:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://youtu.be/021F_Zfo-Jk?si=MhHSGswAQnHZhyi9

Ever wondered if a Titan can literally punch a dungeon to death?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

no, because that's what titans are for

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eruption is fun because you can get wild score swings without it meaning one team locked in victory in the first 30 seconds

Exploding on steak is actually good for your team because if the enemy kills a streaker it’s worth a lot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Guess I know what I'm retooling my Titan to do

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

haveblue posted:

Eruption is fun because you can get wild score swings without it meaning one team locked in victory in the first 30 seconds

Exploding on steak is actually good for your team because if the enemy kills a streaker it’s worth a lot

This is why I think it's one of the best casual modes for iron banner-- it self-balances so turbo stomps are much less likely, and it gives the losing team a fat 'shoot this guy, they are why you are losing' marker to focus on.
If you die with the streak you should view it as a badge of honor-- you killed the poo poo outta the other guys so much they ran out of guys.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
As a filthy casual PvPer I have never had a problem with Eruption. The worst modes would be any that someone can put down a bubble or well to win a round, because realistically relying on a teammate in a matchmade game having a counter available *and* ready is a bit of an ask. Still pretty alright tho, cause I keep filling bubbles with ice lol.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ptroll posted:

This is why I think it's one of the best casual modes for iron banner-- it self-balances so turbo stomps are much less likely, and it gives the losing team a fat 'shoot this guy, they are why you are losing' marker to focus on.
If you die with the streak you should view it as a badge of honor-- you killed the poo poo outta the other guys so much they ran out of guys.

Or it means you died because the entire team is on the other side of the map after you kill the 5th person, and die because the absurdly short timer runs out because Bungie keeps insisting on adding huge maps to the map pool when everyone wants smaller maps.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is that Peregrine Falcon restoring the titan grapple melee?????

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

Is that Peregrine Falcon restoring the titan grapple melee?????

It doesn't look like it; he keeps the Wormgods on, at least for the ogre

Though if he DID have it on yeah it'd do that

e: Yeah none of his loadouts in DIM have it

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
pretty down on destiny as a whole, but coil is one of the best activities they've put into the game in my entire time playing it.

my main problem with coil right now is that to get rewards out of it you have to have lair keys, which you get from playing things that are not coil, which i do not want to do anymore.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Phone posting, so I can't really watch the video closely, but I think the trick is making a grapple point with the Navigator's catalyst ability, then swapping to tractor cannon with a loadout.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Reiterpallasch posted:

pretty down on destiny as a whole, but coil is one of the best activities they've put into the game in my entire time playing it.

my main problem with coil right now is that to get rewards out of it you have to have lair keys, which you get from playing things that are not coil, which i do not want to do anymore.

destiny has had this problem for the past 8 seasons unfortunately

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ponzicar posted:

Phone posting, so I can't really watch the video closely, but I think the trick is making a grapple point with the Navigator's catalyst ability, then swapping to tractor cannon with a loadout.

Oh right, because it's a grapple melee and not a normal powered swing

Guess I should go grind GotD lmao i won't do that

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Reiterpallasch posted:

The main issue for me is that I don't play with friends, so I'm always doing public matchmade and it's either no one knows what's happening so you never get a score to unlock the extra chests and you crap out after the first or at most second path, or people know what they're doing and you get all the way through all 4 paths and it took 50 minutes. I'm not up for committing that much time to a single matchmade event with randoms, but I also don't want to be the jerk that exits after 2 or 3 paths and hamstring the other players trying to get to the 6 chest room.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
solo coil is extremely fun and i am absolutely not a destiny god. my pvp k/d was like 0.5 before i just stopped doing pvp.

you kind of have to be running solar right now because the no-recovery-for-solos mod is on, but i'm guessing that's a weekly rotation so it'll change tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I have yet to finish a matchmade Coil. Someone always dips out after 2 or 3 paths and/or I get kicked to orbit waiting to see if the last surviving team member can solo the last boss.