Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Had some wild planet mackerel on sale at two bucks a tuna style can. It was merely okay and had portions of softer fish than I normally think of for mackerel cans.

I wouldn’t get it at the normal price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Soul Dentist posted:

The added pumpkin pie spices really throw that one over the top of revolting

y'all could've burned bar harbor down to the ground when they started making maple syrup dines but no you let that demon spawned tin grace store shelves and it opened a gaping maw to sardine hell which can now never be closed

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm from coastal Maine and I'm pretty sure the maple dines are a practical joke at the expense of flatlanders

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
I liked the maple syrup dines, and was sad when they stopped making them :kiddo:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Remulak posted:

Oh man here are the first sardines I encourage everyone to avoid. Slimy, bad texture, boneless, seem to be skinless, but worst of all just gross; sugar is the second ingredient!

I’m seriously now afraid to touch my cabinet of new ‘dines. I’ll get over it, but man the texture was every step-brother’s “joke” about bait, and the sugar made me so nauseous.

Yeah, either avoid these or make a fun challenge I’ll look at some other day, maybe next week:

I just learned something, Swedish recipes that get translated and include "anchovies" often mean these things, they generally use them as an ingredient rather than eating them out of the can. Might have to snag some to try to make an authentic sauce for Swedish Meatballs sometime.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I bought a tin of KO mackerel. Haven't cooked with tinned fish before, used clams a ton, so I looked up a recipe which sounded pretty good, tomatoes, lemon, seasoning etc, but what threw me was the author said to cook the fish near the start, right after garlic or whatever. Is that how most of you all use tinned mackerel? Admittedly I do this with clams but I'd think the fish would just fall apart and wouldn't need cooking anyway. Maybe I'm wrong.

I was going to do: fresh garlic, shrooms, green onion, grape tomatoes, then add mackerel and fresh lemon at the very end, serve over pasta or maybe rice but that takes forever to cook.

naem
May 29, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cooking is optional, can just eat straight from the can over the sink if you are pressed for time.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Does the recipe author think you're using fresh mackerel?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Soul Dentist posted:

Does the recipe author think you're using fresh mackerel?

no, specifically talks about stocking up on tins. She may just be a cook with bad ideas

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Starting with this. Probably will pull the asparagus before adding the mack

Forgot tomatoes, added

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 16, 2023

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 16, 2023

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

looks messy, delicious

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 16, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I cook with canfish I just add them near the end. They are already cooked and come with plenty of their own flavor so you only really need for them to get up to temperature and for them to get mixed with the other ingredients to the degree appropriate for the dish.

Or just eat them straight from the can, over the sink.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

yeah that's what I did. Makes sense.

The hero of the dish was the fresh lemon but it all worked. Will definitely cook this again.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

frozen sardines, the larger type, would be good to grill up

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve done a couple of Filipino sardines dishes where the tomato sauce is drained, the fish are rinsed(!) then used to make basically crab cakes, then the sauce is reused.

It turns out well, then you realize that these same, pretty good, canned sardines are a major source of protein in the Philippines and encouraging their export increases their domestic prices.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Myron Baloney posted:

I just learned something, Swedish recipes that get translated and include "anchovies" often mean these things, they generally use them as an ingredient rather than eating them out of the can. Might have to snag some to try to make an authentic sauce for Swedish Meatballs sometime.

I now feel like puking just from the reminder. It’s remarkable how terrible these are, my kids literally begged for sugar-covered dried anchovies at one point (the point was when they were cheap).

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtube.com/shorts/4sVtSn_wxg0?si=iJ_nUyvX2Vu98MdC

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TEcIsZFTPw

a quality youtube vid of a youtuber eating some ko dines and showing that it's alright and nothing to fear

e: his review of $44 skinless / boneless dines with gold flakes in it. they, well, they taste like skinless / boneless dines.

:saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xp4sCl7A-U

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 19, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
had the 'dines for dinner

so easy
so good

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Scrotum Modem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TEcIsZFTPw

a quality youtube vid of a youtuber eating some ko dines and showing that it's alright and nothing to fear

e: his review of $44 skinless / boneless dines with gold flakes in it. they, well, they taste like skinless / boneless dines.

:saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xp4sCl7A-U

the american splendor dude reviewing sardines is :discourse:

also v. interested in Seasons now

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Seasons are fine

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Salmon grounds in my coffee

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've been putting green cardamom in my coffee.

Have I been doing it wrong? :ohdear:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I don't think so! My partner just got me some Arabic spices specifically for coffee, so I say go for it. I'm also a fan of Chicory coffee when in Louisiana, so my perspective may be off.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

Salmon grounds in my coffee

theres a fish in the percolator?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

well boys ive been christmased

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Saucer Hovers posted:

well boys ive been christmased

You’ve clearly been a good goon this year

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cross-post

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ll take three

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

got some chopsticks for christmas. A+ recommended, a "gamechanger" if you will

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I just found out the the KO haiku contest ended last night and I missed it because :effort:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
huh got a defective batch last night. KO boneless/skinless in olive oil, opened them up and still had chunks of skin on them. Strong unpleasant fish taste. I should've taken a picture but I threw them out :shrug:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Vampire Panties posted:

huh got a defective batch last night. KO boneless/skinless in olive oil, opened them up and still had chunks of skin on them. Strong unpleasant fish taste. I should've taken a picture but I threw them out :shrug:

You were given a gift and discarded it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd2271nZRaU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
My GF was cleaning out her pantry and found out she had like 12 tins of sardines she had intended to make pasta sauce with. A few months past their best by date but gently caress it, I am now blessed

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Post sauce recipe

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
https://www.alisoneroman.com/recipes/caramelized-shallot-pasta

I've been shocked that none of the anchovies I've been buying have tasted like the stuff they put on pizzas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
There's not a single sardine in that recipe :psyduck:

It looks good though