Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The impression I got from that character, having neither read the comic or seen the film, is that he seems to stand entirely alone in not wanting to murder millions of people and has some moral compass. And in that respect he's the only "good" character of the bunch. Maybe that's enough to latch on to and think the character is p cool.

I dunno. I don't have a big brain IQ like Watchmen fans so I probably wouldn't understand it like Zack Snyder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Also theres this line that gets passed around a lot about how Alan Moore hates Roschrach fans but if you watch the interview he says it in thats not quite his point. His specific beef is people who come up to him and say 'Roschrach is literally me' which is an insane level of lacking self awareness. But the idea that youre a rube and chud if you enjoy his creation who's depicted pretty sympathetically at many points doesn't ring true to me.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I like the idea of the character of Rorschach as someone who strives to stick to his principles, no matter the cost. He represents how Sisyphean and self-destructive such a life is. Jackie Earle Haley kills it as the character. I've run into people who love Rorschach because he sticks to those principles, but I'll never understand why. He's a monster who just happens to share a lot of the protagonists' enemies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's the ending. People love tearful sacrifices and tragedy, and Rorschach facing Doctor Manhattan is an amazing moment. If Rorschach had lived, people wouldn't think half as much of him.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nolan talking about how he thinks watchmen would have played better post avengers has renewed bad takes on the film. I read one recently where they complained how bad the sex scene was and Synder doesn’t get the subtext of how Hollis was impotent without the suit and only whole bashing criminals. All of which is just text in the film.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Archie flamethrower/cumming symbolism is pushing subtext firmly up into text. It’s doubly funny when you add in the other flamethrower usage in Watchmen.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
The flamethrower gag is in the comic too. :lol:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yep! Moore is a madman for that one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Grendels Dad posted:

It's the ending. People love tearful sacrifices and tragedy, and Rorschach facing Doctor Manhattan is an amazing moment. If Rorschach had lived, people wouldn't think half as much of him.

Who's Steve Jobs?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Miching Mallecho posted:

The flamethrower gag is in the comic too. :lol:

As is the song selection.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

massive spider posted:

Indeed I've found myself in this argument several times. "Snyder made Roschrach look too cool" - no, Roscharch is cool. By the standards of comic book anti heroes at least he's absolutely crushing it. Anyone who's ever read a Batman comic in their life should be able to comprehend that idea of a guy jumping from rooftops and breaking villains faces is very radical. The point is that while Rorschach is exceptional at doing that is he's an absolute wreck at every aspect of being a human being outside of that.

The last time I saw this discussion the person claimed that in the comic the "Im not locked in here with you, youre locked in here with me" wasn't said on screen like it was in the movie, it was rather related second hand by another character who'd heard it. But that makes it even cooler in the comic! He said some poo poo that immediately became legend to everyone in the vicinity.

Rorschach is almost literally the template for comic book anti heroes, the melodrama, ultraviolence and ham-fisted moral ambiguity of muscular 90s punchmen is all based on him, something Alan Moore and everyone else rued for years.

I feel the point is more that Rorschach IS a really badass comic book antihero, and that also makes him both terrifying and pathetic, a person who's completely unable to function outside of violent vigilantism and assisting other masked weirdos who are his only peers.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like the idea of the character of Rorschach as someone who strives to stick to his principles, no matter the cost. He represents how Sisyphean and self-destructive such a life is. Jackie Earle Haley kills it as the character. I've run into people who love Rorschach because he sticks to those principles, but I'll never understand why. He's a monster who just happens to share a lot of the protagonists' enemies.

Comes to mind that in the end, he decides genocide for the sake of maybe world peace is not worth it, and he knows he won't be allowed to live for believing that. He dies facing the bullets with tears in his eyes. He's very much capable of empathy and cares about others, that's why he's a superhero, he's just hosed up about it- or more honest with himself and others about how hosed up it is.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 4, 2023

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

As is the song selection.

Oh yeah. And all along the watch tower, I'm looking at the panel with Ozymanidas with the lyrics on the side right now.. I gotta re-read and re-watch the movie and comic. It's been a while.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
*puts literal comic book panels on-screen accompanied by 100% accurate music*

weenies: no this is wrong because

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Comes to mind that in the end, he decides genocide for the sake of maybe world peace is not worth it, and he knows he won't be allowed to live for believing that. He dies facing the bullets with tears in his eyes. He's very much capable of empathy and cares about others, that's why he's a superhero, he's just hosed up about it- or more honest with himself and others about how hosed up it is.

I remember reading the comic for the first time and wondering if Rorschach would try to fistfight Doctor Manhattan, even hoping that he would pull off some dumb "Black Panther vs. Silver Surfer" thing to at least go out swinging. It's a real gut-punch when he doesn't do that, it's a wonderful moment that lets sink in how wrong the whole situation is when even Rorschach is not trying to punch it away.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also says something given one of his established backstory moments is writing an essay in school defending the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

There's a lot of little bits like that. I do like the take that when after the assassination attempt, Ozymandias says to cancel the intended villains for the superhero action figure lines, because 'I have no enemies'. And you know what a kid's most likely to do if he's given superhero toys without any supervillains for them to fight? Have them fight each other. (Or, find a villain from a completely different context...)

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's very much capable of empathy and cares about others, that's why he's a superhero, he's just hosed up about it- or more honest with himself and others about how hosed up it is.

Part of his whole Rorschach persona is even to shield himself from the horror of what he sees out there, because it fucks with him so much.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also says something given one of his established backstory moments is writing an essay in school defending the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Rorschach becomes an increasingly better person throughout the comic, and that's why he needed to be killed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1732763116235034669

December 21 at 7pm PST! Call into work and tell your partners! That night is taken!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Awwww poo poo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
btw my work had the premiere of Rebel Moon tonight (no idea if it was the world premiere or just a regional one, feel free to let me know). I wasn’t working it but the set dressing the Netflix/events people did that my colleagues sent pics of was insanely cool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea if The Scargiver was there. to give people scars.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Would you have attended if it came with a free scar?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also yeah that setup does look pretty awesome

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Is that a normal thing or is netflix going all out on pushing Rebel Moon?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

I guess they think rabid online fanbase = mainstream success. Because that’s never been proven wrong before!!!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

btw my work had the premiere of Rebel Moon tonight (no idea if it was the world premiere or just a regional one, feel free to let me know). I wasn’t working it but the set dressing the Netflix/events people did that my colleagues sent pics of was insanely cool

Those are insanely cool, thanks for sharing

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I guess they think rabid online fanbase = mainstream success. Because that’s never been proven wrong before!!!

It's Morbin' Moon Moon Time!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Dang, wish there was something like this around where I live. I'd see the movie in the theaters if I could!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Escobarbarian posted:

Remember Snakes On A Plane? lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

I really hope this succeeds. It looks so loving cool.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jimbot posted:

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1732763116235034669

December 21 at 7pm PST! Call into work and tell your partners! That night is taken!

Should we move the Discord stream to the 21st instead of the 22nd?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

Should we move the Discord stream to the 21st instead of the 22nd?

PG-13 cut one day, R rated cut the next.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Escobarbarian posted:

wanna walk down this and film a movie in it

im excited for the moon

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Netflix are the only ones who have actual numbers for Army of the Dead, so you have to consider that. It apparently did well enough that they are promoting this.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

PG-13 cut one day, R rated cut the next.

Unfortunately, doesn't seem like the R-rated cut will be released at the same time as the PG-13.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Paper Moon
Moon
Killers Of The Flower Moon
Rebel Moon

I really do not understand this cinematic universe.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Only Kindness posted:

Paper Moon
Moon
Rebel Moon

It's a Cinematic Mooniverse, what's not to understand?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Only Kindness posted:

Paper Moon
Moon
Rebel Moon

You forget the prequel from the a trip to the moon

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Destination Moon" also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Can’t skip Black Moon