Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One neat detail about the first Godzilla vs Kong I learned in that rabbit hole: the climax of GvK featuring MechaG going down in large part due to emptying a flask of booze on MechaG's control panel was a deliberate reference to Japanese mythology. Since MechaG was Ghidorah's consciousness, and Ghidorah in-universe was the source of the Orochi myth in Japan, it was a callback to the Japanese myth about Orochi, how he was only defeated after getting him drunk first.

The artists for GvK came up with a lot more detail and backstory for MechaG than ever came up in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Shin Godzilla is amazing and in some ways very similar but in other ways very different. Like, there is no human relationship drama in Shin. All the humans in Shin are reacting to Godzilla as individuals within a much larger bureaucracy.

But yes you should watch it.

Wait what? Huh????? Did we watch the same movie?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Logically I know that it’s not exactly a huge leap for Godzilla films, but there’s just something particular about the hollow earth horseshit in GvK that irritates the living poo poo out of me, and I can’t loving stand that they’re tripling down on it for this new one.

Like, part of it is just that G14 was such a great relatively grounded start to all this but part of it is also that we’ve now devolved into conspiracy theory wish fulfillment that doesn’t even make the barest lick of sense, even in the context of the other films.

Even Skull Island was relatively grounded compared to this poo poo. Why the gently caress did Legendary ever pivot from that G14/SI vibe to this?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Logically I know that it’s not exactly a huge leap for Godzilla films, but there’s just something particular about the hollow earth horseshit in GvK that irritates the living poo poo out of me, and I can’t loving stand that they’re tripling down on it for this new one.

Like, part of it is just that G14 was such a great relatively grounded start to all this but part of it is also that we’ve now devolved into conspiracy theory wish fulfillment that doesn’t even make the barest lick of sense, even in the context of the other films.

Even Skull Island was relatively grounded compared to this poo poo. Why the gently caress did Legendary ever pivot from that G14/SI vibe to this?

It is so over the top. I'm watching Monarch and its like, how am I supposed to take this show even remotely serious when I know where it ends up (Godzilla vs Kong hollow earth and wild rear end space ships and poo poo)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

That and almost all the human characters are just terrible and you wish them off the screen whenever they're on it.

G ‘2014 and Skull Island are the high points of this cinematic universe. What do those films have in common? Casting and killing off some of the most beloved actors of our time.

KoTM and GvK weren’t gonna kill off Millie Bobby Brown.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah, i get that it's a stupid thing to get hung up on given all the other goofy stuff in the franchise, but the hollow earth poo poo really annoys me too

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Its fun seeing the reaction to GxK on my timelines basically split between "This is going to be dumb as poo poo... :mad: " and "This is going to be dumb as poo poo! :dance: "

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

When my friend asked me if I wanted to go see the new Godzilla movie, I did not expect it to bring tears to my eyes multiple times. I'm glad I went in blind with zero expectations, because everything just landed for me. The setting, the characters, Godzilla's design, the destruction set pieces, The use of music, It was all just a solid hearty meal of a movie.

It's great because both the human drama and the Kaiju monster aspects are lent equal gravity, and make each other more potent. The balance of it feels so graceful and natural that at times it barely felt like a science fiction movie. I was telling my friend afterwards that I felt you could watch this in a double feature with Oppenheimer, and that the tone of the two movies would be cohesive.

It's such a thoughtful meditation on choosing to live, and feeling allowed to live. Two things that I found especially interesting: Koichi asking for Tachibana specifically to be the engineer to repair the plane, presumably because he figured that Tachibana would go along with his plan to load the plane with a bomb and kill himself along with Godzilla- only for Tachibana to express that he wanted koichi to live. Then, afterwards, his neighbor chastising him after he gets off the boat because he had planned to kill himself, an ironic reversal of their first interaction where she calls him a coward for refusing to carry out his kamikaze mission. We see these characters develop past their nihilistic acceptance of death, and instead intentionally decide to keep living life. Incredibly moving.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Also all of the Godzilla destruction set pieces were :krad:. I thought they did a lot of creative things with Godzilla's sheer power and abilities, like their footsteps coming down with enough force to rise up the pavement and fling people into the air, something that made my stomach knot up when I imagined it happening to myself.

I was especially into the design. Apparently the director is a visual effects veteran, definitely to the movie's benefit. People have argued back and forth about practical effects versus computer effects, but I think the real issue with computer effects is a labor one- What with computer effects usually being outsourced, and probably with little communication with the director. If I remember correctly the average marvel movie starts animating effect sequences 2 years in advance to stay on schedule and be frankensteined into the actually shot film.

So this feels like a movie where the director was able to be so much more intentional with the visual effects and how they fit into their surrounding sequences.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Anyway I'm gushing, if you haven't seen it yet SEE IT

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The timing of the trailer releasing a couple days after Minus One is some tonal whiplash. I keep seeing the gif of Godzilla and Kong running towards the camera and keep thinking it’s some Fortnight thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Still thinking about that opening of Godzilla Minus One and Everyone initially being like "Yeah you should have kamikazed yourself" then over the course of the film that changing and also tiny Godzilla

Just a drat good film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think what makes the CG in Minus One and Shin (not counting the bloody gills shot) work is that it's all based off guy in a suit filmmaking. The way shots are constructed, how scale is conveyed, how Godzilla moves and interacts with the world, it's all based on knowledge gained from practical filmmaking. I feel like you could take the storyboards from both of those movies ands shoot those scenes with all practical effects and they would still work.

As opposed to the later Legendary movies, where a lot of the monster action has an unfortunate lack of weight or scale, it's all just zipping around in a computer.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Godzilla -1 was good.
Like I couldn't tell which parts was practical and which parts was cgi. where in hollywood movies, you know its all cg now.
and never felt as much dread whenever Godzilla showed up here as the hollywood movies. Those ones its just oh he's here.

along with all the other fan favorites, my favorite exchange was
the boat crew when they're first meeting, and the kid carelessly saying he wished the war went on long so he would have a chance to go at it. and the MC immediately going hard on him "don't say you really mean that" and him going 'sorry, my bad'

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I was lucky to see shin in theaters too but this is now my favorite. Maybe even among my favorite films in general

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Still thinking about that opening of Godzilla Minus One and Everyone initially being like "Yeah you should have kamikazed yourself" then over the course of the film that changing and also tiny Godzilla

Just a drat good film.

Not everyone. Tachibana took Shikishima aside at the very beginning and told him "Just between you and me, I'm on your side. Your orders were bullshit. We're going to lose no matter what, and you'd be throwing your life away. We need more people like you."

He didn't get pissed until the Godzilla 20mm gun incident.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Godzilla depicted in Minus One has a personal kind of malevolence. This Godzilla is particularly mean and they sell the feeling that it’s got a specific vendetta against the movie’s protagonist (even though that’s more particularly from his POV.)

The Godzilla depicted in Shin Godzilla is an indifferent malevolence. As a viewer, I feel a more personal connection to the characters of Shin Godzilla. The protagonists in that movie witness Godzillas’s atrocities on social media and in person but still have to go to work the next day.

I love the hell out of both movies.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I got the impression that Godzilla was being reactive, both from being shot at in the opening and being transformed by the nuclear blast. Hence why it keeps going after military ships. Maybe I'm reading too deep into it though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:same:

They way they went about gradually introducing the whackier aspects of the Monsterverse world over the course of the series reminds me of how the MCU started out pretty grounded with science-based characters and then slowly introduced the classic comicbook cosmic elements and mystical elements. For some reason it didn't work nearly as well in the Monsterverse even though we're all familiar with very similar crazy stuff from the classic Toho series

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Little bit off topic from the current conversation, but I'm still buzzing from seeing Minus One on Wednesday (nothing to add that everyone hasn't already said, outside of lmao at my local IMAX having a dead pixel near the bottom of their screen), and since I watched the original Godzilla not all that long ago, I decided to bust out the Showa era boxset and give Godzilla Raids Again a watch for the first time.

It's, uh, definitely not as good as the original or Minus One, I'll say that lol. Not a bad little monster movie, but certainly lacking in a lot of ways compared to what came before. It was interesting that the movie had the big throwdown between Godzilla and Anguirus as the climax of the second act, rather than at the end. The choreography of the fight certainly seems a bit primitive compared to what came after, but I liked how it really felt like two wild animals clawing each other to bits. Pity that the movie petered out after that point though; felt at times like the writers only had the first 2/3rds of a script, and after that they were just frantically writing scene-by-scene hoping they would stumble their way into an ending. Still enjoyed myself overall, but certainly a lesser Godzilla movie; you can absolutely see how much of a cash-grab it was.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I am not caught up on the current american zillaverse at all - is skull island a necessary and/or fun watch? I’m open to it if it’s good regardless of plot necessity

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Skull Island fuckin rules and is a perfectly stand-alone movie

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They way they went about gradually introducing the whackier aspects of the Monsterverse world over the course of the series reminds me of how the MCU started out pretty grounded with science-based characters and then slowly introduced the classic comicbook cosmic elements and mystical elements. For some reason it didn't work nearly as well in the Monsterverse even though we're all familiar with very similar crazy stuff from the classic Toho series

I mean, even the MCU is suffering from that by now. It just took longer.

When you have "A guy can punch hard" and "A robot suit flies as fast as a jet" as the starting point, you have plenty more room to escalate while still keeping some connection to the mundane reality for the viewer than if you start with "A millions of years old atomic dinosaur the size of a skyscraper".

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Godzilla depicted in Minus One has a personal kind of malevolence. This Godzilla is particularly mean and they sell the feeling that it’s got a specific vendetta against the movie’s protagonist (even though that’s more particularly from his POV.)

The main reason I loved it so much was how well they tied Kōichi’s internal struggle with the destruction caused by Godzilla. It’s after him because it’s his demon. And ultimately he realizes that he must go inside to defeat his demons. It’s really great and clever screenwriting and editing throughout.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

holefoods posted:

I am not caught up on the current american zillaverse at all - is skull island a necessary and/or fun watch? I’m open to it if it’s good regardless of plot necessity

Yeah you absolutely do not need to watch Skull Island for plot, the only relevant bits are explained in GvK, but it is probably the best or second best of Legendary's movies. And it has an absolutely baller cast giving it their all.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Alright, I’m in for skull island then. Thanks all!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Godzilla Minus One is easily my favorite Godzilla film. Glad I got to see this in a theater.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Godzilla Minus One is easily my favorite Godzilla film. Glad I got to see this in a theater.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
godzilla being a nightmarish vision of imperial japan being held responsible for their actions in world war II, that is then twisted into a mindless force of destruction that causes massive civilian casualties by american nukes, owns. it's a shame that the movie is so blunt about the politically-palatable-in-japan parts that the subtext gets washed out by everyone saying 'world war II was really hard on the japanese military'

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It’s after him because it’s his demon.

the part in the plane where he holds his breath in the hopes of Godzilla ignoring him, like Chihiro holding her breath to cross the bridge unseen in Spritied Away

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Did anyone watch that skull island cartoon on Netflix?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Just got back from Godzilla Minus One, a fantastically balanced masterpiece. I think I might still favourite Shin Godzilla, as its somewhat unique take is a bit more suited to my own tastes, but Godzilla Minus One is a better Godzilla Movie that I would more readily recommend to everyone.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Did anyone watch that skull island cartoon on Netflix?

I did and I enjoyed it.

I did not like the ending, but they can redeem it if there's another season.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've seen all the Godzilla movies and this is the first one (to its credit) that didn't have me rooting for Godzilla to shitwreck everything and everyone it came across. It's neck and neck with Shin Godzilla for me, but I never saw that in IMAX so Minus has the edge there. You just feel it when Godzilla charges up the heat breath and some of the straight on shots of its face are just downright terrifying. Give me more pure horror Godzilla, please.

e: the sound design is just off the chain too. The scenes where it goes into complete silence before the world implodes are so effective, and the judicious use of the Godzilla theme are perfect.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

GateOfD posted:

Godzilla -1 was good.
Like I couldn't tell which parts was practical and which parts was cgi. where in hollywood movies, you know its all cg now.

Watch the latest Corridor Crew video, they show some behind the scenes vfx stuff

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Someone mentioned Corridor Crew looking at Shin Godzilla's VFX - could that please be linked? I can only find the recent one for - 1 and Legendary Pictures vids.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I, Butthole posted:

Someone mentioned Corridor Crew looking at Shin Godzilla's VFX - could that please be linked? I can only find the recent one for - 1 and Legendary Pictures vids.

Here ya go. Start at 7:26 if the timestamp doesn't work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptGzauj36XE&t=446s

Here's the latest video for everyone else:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OM1xQ6j4uo

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Minus One was one hell of a movie, and it was pretty great to see it in a packed theater on a Saturday morning with an audience that was about as diverse as any I've ever been in. Families, teens, old people - not necessarily what I would have expected for a Godzilla movie, let alone a subtitled Godzilla movie.

My favorite Godzilla movie used to rotate between the original and Shin Godzilla, now this is right up there as well. Great stuff that I will gladly be rewatching once I can get it on Blu Ray.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
My partner's exposure to Godzilla is basically limited to mostly what I've forced them to watch since we've been together as it came out in theaters; all Legendary stuff. Skull Island, King of the Monsters, Godzilla vs Kong, and the first two episodes of Monarch. I tried to get them to watch G'14 at one point at home but they fell asleep early on. So Minus One was the first "real" Godzilla movie I got them excited to see after the San Francisco bridge attack in Monarch made them go "oh wow, now I get why Godzilla can actually be scary" because it's mostly all been goofy fun times and cultural osmosis of Showa stuff for them (and also loving how cuddly Mothra generally is).

They could not stop gushing about how good Minus One was afterwards. Take anyone you can even remotely convince to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dammerung posted:

I hope Minus One will still be in theaters where I am this weekend, because all of the showings were almost entirely sold out where I am and I couldn't make it happen! On the one hand, I'm happy that it's doing so well. On the other hand, I had a moment where I seriously considered asking if I could just stand in the back of a showing and am worried about myself.

Please double check because here in San Francisco its only running through Wednesday from what I can tell.