Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
A bit of everything. Battlefleet Gothic 2's prologue takes place during the fall.

"The planet broke before the Guard did" is still one of the absolute best lines 40k has produced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's a bad time. Even by 40K standards it's a bad time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Oh yeah, I was a big fan of the FFG lines going with more mysterious stuff instead of the overly explained known factors from the codexes. Works a lot better for a RPG, specially when running games for people who are deep in 40K lore.

It helps that, while tyranids, necrons and traitor astartes are not absent from the expanse, they are pretty hard to find. It gives the random small-time xenos, original traitors and renegade characters, and various no-name Eldar factions a little more space to shine.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 4, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This poo poo feel finished or should I wait a couple months?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Eifert Posting posted:

It's a bad time. Even by 40K standards it's a bad time.

The good guys, Chaos, are winning.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Azran posted:

"The planet broke before the Guard did" is still one of the absolute best lines 40k has produced

:hellyeah:

Arglebargle III posted:

It helps that, while tyranids, necrons and traitor astartes are not absent from the expanse, they are pretty hard to find. It gives the random small-time xenos, original traitors and renegade characters, and various no-name Eldar factions a little more space to shine.

God, now I want Karrad Vall as an enemy you have to face :syoon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Buschmaki posted:

The beta is p good but wait until it releases.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

everything up to the end of Act 3 is probably in a good state, but they've very deliberately only released the 'full' version to the content creators that omits acts 4/5, so definitely wait until full impressions of the entire game are out.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Buschmaki posted:

The good guys, Chaos, are winning.

Grandpa will save us all.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chaos would be the good guys in any other setting because of how hilariously evil the Imperium is, just make it a reactive force that's working to take the Imperium down because it violates every law of nature, man and alien alike

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Instead the Tyranids are the hero faction by dint on their only flaw being that they’re really hungry.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My personal pick for 'most heroic faction' are the Necrons, since as hilariously evil as the Imperium is, Chaos is worse- therefore the only faction seriously trying to wipe them out are the most moral :smugbert:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Is there any lore about how the two primarchs who've come back so far view the current state of the imperium? The ultramarine guy is like the high lord or whatever now right, so does he give any fucks about what's going on other than "we gotta stop chaos from controlling all these worlds instead of us."

As an aside I like the little snippets of lore when the tau learn about how hosed the imperium is. One of my faves was them going "wow you must have great AIs to manage your ships? Wait what do you mean that it's done by people, you'd need like an entire country worth of people to-- wait, its literally that isn't it?"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Instead the Tyranids are the hero faction by dint on their only flaw being that they’re really hungry.

Owlcat will miss a golden opportunity to not have a Tyranid DLC where you can play a Genestealer origin.

For the Four-armed Emperor!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Further Reading posted:

Is there any lore about how the two primarchs who've come back so far view the current state of the imperium? The ultramarine guy is like the high lord or whatever now right, so does he give any fucks about what's going on other than "we gotta stop chaos from controlling all these worlds instead of us."

The modern Imperium depresses the gently caress out of Guilliman, and it's not remotely what his dad or any of the Primarchs had in mind - but he also knows that, with Horus dead and the other Traitor Primarchs all lost to daemonhood, letting Abaddon & co. win would be even worse, so he's assuming the Imperial regency and trying to steer the ship back into some kind of decent course without rocking the boat too hard and blowing too many minds.

I haven't seen too much lore about the Dark Angels guy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't think Lionel has done much yet. I read son of the forest and it was enjoyable, but it's a pretty confined story.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Further Reading posted:

Is there any lore about how the two primarchs who've come back so far view the current state of the imperium? The ultramarine guy is like the high lord or whatever now right, so does he give any fucks about what's going on other than "we gotta stop chaos from controlling all these worlds instead of us.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Further Reading posted:

As an aside I like the little snippets of lore when the tau learn about how hosed the imperium is. One of my faves was them going "wow you must have great AIs to manage your ships? Wait what do you mean that it's done by people, you'd need like an entire country worth of people to-- wait, its literally that isn't it?"

Guilliman was appalled by what the Imperium had become. When he returned he assumed the title of Imperial Regent, meaning he took command of the Imperium, and he openly thought the worship of the Emperor as a god was nuts. So right away he made a lot of enemies despite his status. As his return and the Great Rift sort of coincided, he also wanted to launch a crusade to retake what was lost, i.e. the Indomitus Crusade. This caused a split in the Imperium's leadership as half of the High Lords of Terra and their allies thought to replace Guilliman, leading to a bit of a coup attempt.

But since then Guilliman has made various reforms to try and improve the Imperium. And he's come around on the idea of the Emperor as a god of sorts after the Plague Wars. But his protection of Belisarius Cawl is still required, and the Great Crusade-era Imperium Secundus detail of ancient history was recently discovered by one of the Imperium's war press equivalent. So there's about to be another schism I imagine.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 4, 2023

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Guilliman is the greatest bureaucrat that ever lived, so if anyone can wrangle it out of the galaxy spanning dumpster fire it is it'll be him.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lassitude posted:

the Great Crusade-era Imperium Secundus detail of ancient history was recently discovered by one of the Imperium's war press equivalent. So there's about to be another schism I imagine.

Bleh, they decided to keep that tie-in-novel schlock?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I mean, the Horus Heresy series is GW’s biggest lore thing. Everything that happens in those books is canon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have two big problems with those books

1) Some( all?) of it is extremely hack-y!

2) I strongly prefer the Rick Priestley era murky ancient history of the Imperium. The choose-your-own three or four different backstories for the Emperor, unclear characterizations for major political figures, expunged records, and major figures or events who were simply lost to history are all fertile ground for the imagination. A meticulous canon narrative not only in my opinion diminishes the fiction, but contradicts the themes of decline, ignorance, and an unknowably vast and ancient galaxy in 40K.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Nephthys posted:

Owlcat will miss a golden opportunity to not have a Tyranid DLC where you can play a Genestealer origin.

For the Four-armed Emperor!

There is a mission where you can flee from Genestealers in Rogue Trader. The first time I ran into it in the Beta, I was like "this rules".

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Do the genestealers have sick cars

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Xun posted:

the sickest:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Xun posted:

They drive the coolest type of cars, ones stolen from aristocracy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

There is a mission where you can flee from Genestealers in Rogue Trader. The first time I ran into it in the Beta, I was like "this rules".

On the hardest difficulty mode you should have to execute any character that gets hit by those fellas.

Did they get an egg? Did they not? Well, If they did you just doomed 3 + worlds and football to Genestealer incursions, probably hosed the entire sector. Prometheum is the only way to be sure.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arglebargle III posted:

I strongly prefer the Rick Priestley era murky ancient history of the Imperium. The choose-your-own three or four different backstories for the Emperor, unclear characterizations for major political figures, expunged records, and major figures or events who were simply lost to history are all fertile ground for the imagination. A meticulous canon narrative not only in my opinion diminishes the fiction, but contradicts the themes of decline, ignorance, and an unknowably vast and ancient galaxy in 40K.

Yeah, I'm 110% with you here, but GW is using some of their lore to springboard the new Great Rift era-stuff, which has somehow made it kind of easier to read them now (or at least it has for me). I don't know what kind of brainworms I have that makes it that way, but what can I do? :shobon:

Axetrain posted:

They drive the coolest type of cars, ones genestolen from aristocracy.

Fixed it for you :v:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 4, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Keystealers

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He also evidently had a conversation with the Emperor and concluded there was no value in asking for the Emperor's opinion on anything.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lol, Bobby, It takes most folks less than 10,000 years to realize there's no point in asking their dad for advice.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Eifert Posting posted:

Lol, Bobby, It takes most folks less than 10,000 years to realize there's no point in asking their dad for advice.
The strongest drug in the Imperium is sunk cost fallacy, so it's no wonder that Guilliman needed that long to detox.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Further Reading posted:

There's an anecdote where Gulliman sees one of the cherubs and goes "What the gently caress is going on here"

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

pentyne posted:

everything up to the end of Act 3 is probably in a good state, but they've very deliberately only released the 'full' version to the content creators that omits acts 4/5, so definitely wait until full impressions of the entire game are out.

How much game is acts 1-3 though and do they feel pretty good/interesting/varied? Cause like, I like BG3 but mostly for act 1 if I'm honest and that was good enough to still give me overall positive feelings of the game. I'd probably be playing this game slow enough that horrendous issues in the latter half would be fixed by the time I get to them as well.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Bobby G is trying his absolute best and as one of the only sane humans alive he's starting to realize his absolute best may not be good enough

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Buschmaki posted:

There's an anecdote where Gulliman sees one of the cherubs and goes "What the gently caress is going on here"

Dark Imperium posted:

A soft fanfare announced the intention of Captain Felix to speak with him. A cyber cherub clattered in a clumsy search pattern around the scriptorium on metal wings. Such things were grotesque, techno-alchemy far removed from the purer machinery of his day. The madness of Mars had infected everything. Guilliman let it flap about pathetically, its underpowered ocular senses gridding the scriptorium as it searched for him.

The pallid flesh of the cherub’s torso and arms was sore where steel cables plunged into the skin. The rest of it was mechanical, with metal wings and legs. A bare child’s skull made in perfect silver capped a neck of woven copper.

It wove jerkily under one of the arches into the cloister, and thereafter found him soon enough. It came to a halt and hovered, wings noisily beating.

‘My lord, Guilliman.’ The thing’s skeletal jaw was cast shut, and Felix’s voice crackled out of a brass trumpet stitched into a dead hand. The cherub’s emerald eyes flashed at each word. The sensibilities of this age did not appeal to Guilliman. Hateful art for a hateful time.

The light went from the cherub’s eyes. It flew off, motor buzzing. The primarch watched it go back to its roost with critical eyes. The wings were more than adornment; from the sound of it, there was not enough lift in the gravity impeller to keep it aloft. The machines of this millennium were crude. The engineers among his brothers would probably have caught the thing in a net and rebuilt the motor; he was close to doing so himself. Either that, or tossing it out of an airlock into the void and replacing it with something less ghoulish.

Thinking on the cherub brought another unwelcome flash of what he had seen behind the Eternity Gate: the corpse in the ungentle embrace of Mechanicus technology, part meat, part machine, and the terrible screaming of the soul syphons…

He shook his head to quash the memory. He could not fix everything. Not all at once. Guilliman deliberately put the grotesque device from his mind and returned to his desk. He did not sit, but pulled out a new book and stood flicking through it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol I already forgot about the Lion coming back

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

How much game is acts 1-3 though and do they feel pretty good/interesting/varied? Cause like, I like BG3 but mostly for act 1 if I'm honest and that was good enough to still give me overall positive feelings of the game. I'd probably be playing this game slow enough that horrendous issues in the latter half would be fixed by the time I get to them as well.

The acts aren't exactly equally paced so its hard to tell.

Tutorial: Short, couple hours at best
Act 1: Maybe 2-3 hours, just setting up the whole premise
Act 2: 10-30 hours depending on how much you engage with exploration, side quests, colony management etc.
Act 3: 5-10 hours, takes you to a static location you explore and escape from

The following acts could be a few hours each or as meaty as Act 2. I would say that in Act 2 you get to explore 60% of the space map, and Owlcat opens up their campaign maps in the later acts by a bit more, so Act 4/5 could still be pretty big into exploration, colony stuff, ship fights etc.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

On the hardest difficulty mode you should have to execute any character that gets hit by those fellas.

Did they get an egg? Did they not? Well, If they did you just doomed 3 + worlds and football to Genestealer incursions, probably hosed the entire sector. Prometheum is the only way to be sure.

You're mixing Genestealers up with Chryssalids from X-Com. Genestealers operate differently and don't magically infect anything they hit with even a glancing blow.

DaysBefore posted:

Lol I already forgot about the Lion coming back

Lion lore was basically entirely self-contained to the Vashtorr campaign (+Son of the Forest... which connected to that), so yeah not entirely surprising it's slipped your mind since nothing new has come out since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Genestealers are specifically implanting people with a tongue attack thing, and even then you'd just need to stop them from having kids.