Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

Annath posted:

Grab P4 Golden on PC, or the P3 remaster, not "Persona 3 Reload". Reload isn't out yet, but it's apparently missing all the content added to P3 in the "Portable" and "FES" versions.

I grabbed P4 Golden for $12 on Switch. Should have a chance to give it a try some night this week.

Persona 3 sounds a little too rough around the edges and too needlessly punishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Annath posted:

Grab P4 Golden on PC, or the P3 remaster, not "Persona 3 Reload". Reload isn't out yet, but it's apparently missing all the content added to P3 in the "Portable" and "FES" versions.
Not entirely - they've indicated that it will essentially be "Episode Yourself" (also known as The Journey) from FES, which means it's the enhanced version of the base story which includes extra events, quests, and Personas. What's missing from Portable is the added ability to choose a female protagonist (with her own events and social links that differ from the male protagonist's), and what's missing from FES is The Answer ("Episode Aigis"), which is a playable epilogue scenario that features a new dungeon and ending. The former is generally positively viewed, with many favoring the female protagonist's events (save one particular social link, usually), the latter isn't as fondly regarded. It's always possible they could (re-)develop that content as DLC for further down the line but they were pretty adamant about launch not having anything but the original (enhanced) campaign (plus new exclusive additions).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CaptainCourteous posted:

I have no experience with Persona games but I hear P5 is something special.

P5 is absolutely something special. I'd recommend it even if P4 doesn't quite hook you.

CaptainCourteous posted:

I also heard that there's so kind of mechanic where you have to start a chapter over if you don't finish the dungeon stuff before the school semester ends, which sounds just awful; but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

There's a calendar management element where you might have, say, 15 days to clear a dungeon, and entering the dungeon will cost one of your day slots, but there's no actual time limit, you can spend as long in the dungeon as you'd like. Each time slot is a resource you can spend on going to the dungeon, or hanging with a friend to advance their side story, or going to the gym or studying or working for gameplay bonuses, et cetera. It's meant to be a resource management thing where you make a chunk of progress, exhaust your resources, retreat to rest and resupply, and schedule keeping some days in your pocket for future dives, but the actual dungeons are simple enough that you can easily clear the entire segment in a single visit once you've got a handle on the game mechanics.

If you haven't cleared it by the deadline, you will get a non-standard game over and the option to roll the calendar back one week, which absolutely would suck if that's where all your dungeon progress was, but I've never heard of it actually happening to anyone.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 4, 2023

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How long does the SMRPG post game content take to do?

Every fight except the last one is standard SMRPG, “nearly impossible to lose.”

The final fight could definitely give you some trouble if you aren’t leveled to the max, and/or don’t use the right gear.

Prob an hour or two tops.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

p5 stops being good after the first dungeon.

it is also extremely creepy in its sexualization of its underage female characters, which was already a problem in 4 (especially golden) but is dialed up to 11 in p5 and somehow even more so in p5r.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it is also extremely creepy in its sexualization of its underage female characters, which was already a problem in 4 (especially golden) but is dialed up to 11 in p5 and somehow even more so in p5r.

You've got that one backwards. P5 has a lovely joke in the second dungeon ieadup but is otherwise much tamer than P4 about the teenage girl cast compared to 4.

5 is instead the one where every adult woman is perfectly okay dating a teenage boy and it is super loving creepy. Including said boy's teacher.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:mrwhite:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Goons love describing the series they like in the worst way possible

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

True but you also get to have a hot teacher maid which kicks rear end

e: f;b

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Goons love describing the series they like in the worst way possible

Nah, I enjoy Persona when it isn't being terrible but it is super fuckin' weird how enthusiastic the game (and some of the fanbase) is about allowing adult women to exploit a minor. It is a genuinely lovely part of the game that is only not game ruining because it is optional so you can at least avoid it, but the game would be a thousand times better without it.

See also certain bits of Fire Emblem.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 4, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'll say this, not so much to defend P4, but to add some context:

It has some really unpleasant bits with sexualizing the teenage girls, but the whole point is its making a statement about society.

3rd dungeon spoiler: Because of his looks, everyone assumes Kanji is a punk, and he feels pressured to be one because of it. Additionally, he feels like he can't embrace his true interests, sewing and fashion, because of the pressure society places on boys to be masculine in very specific ways. Finally, the game as a whole, and his dungeon in particular, hints that he's struggling with questions about his sexuality, for the same reasons.

4th dungeon spoiler: Rise is an Idol, and is constantly pressured to so things that make her uncomfortable by the adults in her career. She feels like she can't get close to anyone because they either want her fame or her body.

6th dungeon spoiler: Finally, Naoto is a girl who desperately wants to follow in her grandfather's footsteps and be a detective, but is rejected by society for being a girl. She literally hides her gender to pursue her goals. Her dungeon is literally about her trying to change her gender in that pursuit. Her whole story is about both rejecting the defined roles society places people in, and also recognizing that she can embrace her femininity and still be a great detective.

Every character's growth and story revolves around how they are more than society says they are allowed to be, and rejecting societal expectations and pursuing their true selves.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
did you know princess peach gets married without consent in super paper mario. we need to do. better.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
persona 5 is the baby stim toy of rpgs

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Annath posted:

I'll say this, not so much to defend P4, but to add some context:

It has some really unpleasant bits with sexualizing the teenage girls, but the whole point is it’s making a statement about society.

there’s a lengthy interlude where the main character’s best friend smuggles bikinis into a camping trip so he can see all the girls show off their skin. there’s another interlude later where the same guy signs up the girls for a beauty pageant without their knowledge or consent. there’s a morbidly obese girl classmate who periodically pops up for fat jokes that were tired fifty years ago. there’s a middle-aged teacher whose personality begins and ends with “hits on her students out of sexual frustration.” the mascot character flirts relentlessly with anything that has a Y chromosome, though it’s more annoying than sleazy

P5 has many issues but 4 has a 1950’s sitcom sensibility when it comes to women

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is it funny though

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

sylvando's one of those characters where you think he can't live up to the hype and then he lives up to in the first five minutes of his appearance and keeps improving from there

I was convinced he would have a heel turn and then he didn't and instead was just The Best

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oxxidation posted:

there’s a lengthy interlude where the main character’s best friend smuggles bikinis into a camping trip so he can see all the girls show off their skin. there’s another interlude later where the same guy signs up the girls for a beauty pageant without their knowledge or consent.

Yes correct he's a sleazy teenager.

Edit: Not defending the other parts though. The fat-shaming sucks real bad, and even the teacher dating her student thing is brought up in the game as something she knows is bad but does anyway, which is like, why do that. It's certainly wish fulfillment of a number of people (young men) playing, but yeah looking at it objectively for even a second it's like, just don't have that in the game please.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 4, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is so good, I picked it back up after a year (got distracted by pokemon, fire emblem, Zelda, etc) intending to just power through and finish the last chapter of the game, but first I decided to do a few of the hero class ascension quests and keep saying "just one more..."

It's so satisfying to check down the list and upgrade each class even though I definitely don't need to at this point. It really soothes a particular completionist part of my brain. I will say taking a break from the game for a while really helps, I had probably burned out last time because its cutscenes are so lengthy and verbose, to the game's detriment imo. But I still enjoy it and I'm already planning on getting the DLC and doing that after.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is so good, I picked it back up after a year (got distracted by pokemon, fire emblem, Zelda, etc) intending to just power through and finish the last chapter of the game, but first I decided to do a few of the hero class ascension quests and keep saying "just one more..."

It's so satisfying to check down the list and upgrade each class even though I definitely don't need to at this point. It really soothes a particular completionist part of my brain. I will say taking a break from the game for a while really helps, I had probably burned out last time because its cutscenes are so lengthy and verbose, to the game's detriment imo. But I still enjoy it and I'm already planning on getting the DLC and doing that after.

I should probably do the same. Got distracted by another game when I got the boat. I'll need to find a summary video up to that point while trying to avoid spoilers on the ending.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

there’s a lengthy interlude where the main character’s best friend smuggles bikinis into a camping trip so he can see all the girls show off their skin. there’s another interlude later where the same guy signs up the girls for a beauty pageant without their knowledge or consent. there’s a morbidly obese girl classmate who periodically pops up for fat jokes that were tired fifty years ago. there’s a middle-aged teacher whose personality begins and ends with “hits on her students out of sexual frustration.” the mascot character flirts relentlessly with anything that has a Y chromosome, though it’s more annoying than sleazy

seems accurate tbh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

now do funky student

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

People who say Kamoshida is the best P5 villain are foolish, Shido and Royal ending villain are way better

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Shido isn’t just the worst villain in P5, he’s probably the worst in the entire series

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For the guy mulling over Person 5 vs Dragon Quest, most of the Dragon Quest switch games have demos, take em for a spin first.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

P5 also has Akechi, best character in Persona history

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Oxxidation posted:

Shido isn’t just the worst villain in P5, he’s probably the worst in the entire series

Do you mean worst as in "worst person/most villainous", or worst as in "worst written"?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Even if you thought Shido was bad(ly written), surely you have to agree that Kaneshiro is worse

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
I thought the point of the Persona series was you enter people's minds to unfuck their hangups/quirks?

I bought Balder's Gate 1 and 2 EE. How do they play on switch/controller/joy con?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Shido is a dog turd villain, as in, poorly written. P5 has some incredible villains, but he is not one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Annath posted:

Do you mean worst as in "worst person/most villainous", or worst as in "worst written"?

worst written. he’s an indeterminate cipher of a villain who basically exists as a sin-eater for the rest of the story, since nearly everything bad that happens in the plot is directly his fault, which is not a good fit for a game that’s supposed to be about pervasive societal issues

his fight is good and both the original finale and royal pick up the slack writing-wise but Shido is just a waste of space

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gorilla Radio posted:

I thought the point of the Persona series was you enter people's minds to unfuck their hangups/quirks?

Broadly, yeah, you probe into Jungian brainscapes born from teenage anxieties and/or wanton misanthropy. How the games actually present and deal with that material is more of a mixed bag. Sometimes it is a heartfelt and resonant lesson in internalizing that you deserve to love yourself, sometimes it's an old man leering at girls in bikinis and the message is that it is bad, sometimes it is the poo poo mentioned upthread.

Gorilla Radio posted:

I bought Balder's Gate 1 and 2 EE. How do they play on switch/controller/joy con?

Surprisingly well! It's a port of an isometric mouse and keyboard RPG, so it was always gonna be a bit clunky, but they've made it work as well as could be expected.

The only issue I had is that BG2 specifically is prone to crashing if it's been running for several hours, which is easy to hit if you've been using sleep mode.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
DQXI’s bombastic and repetitive “overworld” music is a bit much but probably to some extent and people part of the charm

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I picked up DQ11 as well. I played the demo years ago and always wanted the full game.

I got Zelda couple weeks ago, so actually not gonna play DQ for a long while lol

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Broadly, yeah, you probe into Jungian brainscapes born from teenage anxieties and/or wanton misanthropy. How the games actually present and deal with that material is more of a mixed bag. Sometimes it is a heartfelt and resonant lesson in internalizing that you deserve to love yourself, sometimes it's an old man leering at girls in bikinis and the message is that it is bad, sometimes it is the poo poo mentioned upthread.

Surprisingly well! It's a port of an isometric mouse and keyboard RPG, so it was always gonna be a bit clunky, but they've made it work as well as could be expected.

The only issue I had is that BG2 specifically is prone to crashing if it's been running for several hours, which is easy to hit if you've been using sleep mode.

Thank you for both!

I played the poo poo out of BG1 on PC. Does the tutorial do a good job of explaining the control transfer from a mouse to controller?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Unfortunately no one has ever been able to go into the brains of Persona writers to unfuck their hearts. For the past few games there's been an occasional jarring disconnect between the professed messages and what it actually ends up manifesting as ("oppose society's pointless rules.... in a socially acceptable way!!!!").

I would still recommend it over Sea of Stars. That one's also style over substance, but the gameplay's not even really ever fun. most warmed-over mediocre timed-hit game basically ever. bleh, just play SMRPG or Bug Fables or wait for the Thousand Year Door remake. Paper Mario 1 if you have NSO. the Switch is the timed-hit machine, there's better out there.

P5 peaks early and then has you go ?????????im experiencinggameplay™iguess?????? for 50 hours but Sea of Stars doesn't even have the peak

DQXI > P5 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Sea of Stars

vv thanks, I have Vanadiel fever lately. still true! it is kinda amazing if you like early 2000s MMO experiences

Ramie fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 4, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ramie posted:

FFXI > P5 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Sea of Stars

I'm assuming you mean DQ11 but maybe FF11 is actually amazing?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Annath posted:

Re: gender - the egg evaluator made that a non-issue, you could change the gender of the monster before hatching it in order to fit your needs.

And one thing I did want to acknowledge re: names is that some of the charm I found in the GBC games was in the goofy (but not punny) translations. For example, Agdevil is a cool devil! His name is a harsh, gutteral, devil name!

No, actually, his real name is Silver Devil, but due to restrictions on the number of characters in the names, they translated "Silver" as "Ag", the elemental abbreviation for silver :downs:

I dunno, I loved that kind of thing lol.

AgDevil was hands down a much better and funnier name than its current name. :(

Oxxidation posted:

the only idiosyncratic spell names that trip me up are phantasy star's. something about their brevity gets them all tangled up in my head

Phantasy Star spell/tech names are the absolute goddamn worst. I wouldn't be surprised if they were inspired by Wizardry and Bard's Tale but even the spell names in those games don't feel as bad to parse, usually.

SereneCrimson posted:

Frizz line is single target fire damage.
Sizz line is multi-target fire damage.
Boom is non-elemental or “bang” type damage.

Sizz is Light-element damage in DQM3 and 'explosion' is an elemental damage type now as well. The latter I'm fine with but the former is extremely annoying.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gorilla Radio posted:

I played the poo poo out of BG1 on PC. Does the tutorial do a good job of explaining the control transfer from a mouse to controller?

I think the Candlekeep tutorials are rewritten to explain the new controls, but the big one is that there are two control schemes; one for exploration, where the left stick will move your character directly on the map and make the party stick to them while the right one snaps to nearby interactables/NPCs, while the other scheme gives you a cursor that plays like the mouse controls.

The game will automatically switch to the cursor scheme in combat, but you can also toggle between them freely, which I prefer for dungeons. The toggle is on one of the D-pad buttons and it's good to know.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Levitate posted:

DQXI’s bombastic and repetitive “overworld” music is a bit much but probably to some extent and people part of the charm

The music in DQ11 drove me absolutely nuts. Fortunately there's an option to have it use the music from DQ8 instead. I switched that on and never looked back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’ve never seen anyone anywhere with much actual praise for DQ11’s music. it was phoned in by a guy who’d stopped giving a poo poo years ago. oom-pah torture