Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chronojam posted:

It's a key plot point that most of their poo poo was about being flashy even if it's not actually effective or productive to do so

For real, if the goa'uld could make their hosts grow a giant cartoon mustache to twirl on demand, they absolutely would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm up to series 3 of Atlantis, which I've mostly not seen. It's really funny to me to go from McKay and Ronon being pinned to the wall with lovely effects in the episode before to them being in these enormous pod things.
I guess you could just say they'd been moved but it feels like that's something Rodney would actually say to us

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taear posted:

I'm up to series 3 of Atlantis, which I've mostly not seen. It's really funny to me to go from McKay and Ronon being pinned to the wall with lovely effects in the episode before to them being in these enormous pod things.
I guess you could just say they'd been moved but it feels like that's something Rodney would actually say to us

Is that the episode with the "Just how many knives DO you have, anyway?" joke? Because there's one where the team's trapped in a cell and Ronon just starts pulling knives out of random parts of his hair and jacket and tossing them at a switch of the wall and he biffs every throw, and then it cuts away to another scene and when it cuts back he's just still tossing knives at it.

E: Oh it's a season 2 episode, my bad.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 27, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Is that the episode with the "Just how many knives DO you have, anyway?" joke? Because there's one where the team's trapped in a cell and Ronon just starts pulling knives out of random parts of his hair and jacket and tossing them at a switch of the wall and he biffs every throw, and then it cuts away to another scene and when it cuts back he's just still tossing knives at it.

E: Oh it's a season 2 episode, my bad.

He doesn't miss, it's just he doesn't hit the right spot
So when it comes back he's got like 15 of them stuck in the wall

Also it's making me laugh how completely Teyla's people are abandoned. They're back on the mainland now I guess but nobody seems to bother about what happens to them after about half way through series 2

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khanstant posted:

i would also do that thing snails do when taken over by parasitic worms or whatever

...drown yourself? Am I thinking of the right thing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Brawnfire posted:

...drown yourself? Am I thinking of the right thing?

It's not really the snails that do it, but when worms infest a snail, they go up into the eye stalks of the snail and squirm around which makes the eyes look like a tasty treat for birds. The birds bite off the eye stalk, get infected by the worms, and the snail grows a new eye stalk.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Taear posted:

Also it's making me laugh how completely Teyla's people are abandoned. They're back on the mainland now I guess but nobody seems to bother about what happens to them after about half way through series 2

At the end they fuckoff back to earth and presumably her people are still stuck on the mainland without a Stargate lmao

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I want to say they had a throwaway line about evacuating Teyla's People to the city on some of the times Atlantis was about to be destroyed by something or other.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cojawfee posted:

It's not really the snails that do it, but when worms infest a snail, they go up into the eye stalks of the snail and squirm around which makes the eyes look like a tasty treat for birds. The birds bite off the eye stalk, get infected by the worms, and the snail grows a new eye stalk.

More beauty in Creation, hooray

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IRQ posted:

I want to say they had a throwaway line about evacuating Teyla's People to the city on some of the times Atlantis was about to be destroyed by something or other.

They do, but that starts to get forgotten after the cloak stuff

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's funny that Michael lost his memory when they human-ed him but when he's back as a wraith what memory has he regained? He basically seems the same
They ask the Wraith what their real names are and stuff like that, which they don't answer. Probably because the writers haven't really thought of it.

They're so underdeveloped, like there's just nothing to them

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They don’t have names. That isn’t some artifact of the writers not thinking of any. That’s specifically written as a part of their society.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zesty posted:

They don’t have names. That isn’t some artifact of the writers not thinking of any. That’s specifically written as a part of their society.

It'd be fine if it was specifically written
But what happens is they asked. They're silent. They get asked. John makes one up.
Every single time, over and over.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s not difficult to understand why a captured enemy may not want to answer personal questions. Or why a species that doesn’t have names would be unwilling or unable to answer a question on a concept they don’t understand.

Of all the things to criticize in Atlantis…

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zesty posted:

It’s not difficult to understand why a captured enemy may not want to answer personal questions. Or why a species that doesn’t have names would be unwilling or unable to answer a question on a concept they don’t understand.

And yet they seem to understand it just fine because they communicate with Atlantis individuals. All that was needed was a simple *growling* "We do not use names! We are the hive! What is so difficult about this for your species to understand?!"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zesty posted:

They're not prisoners, it's when the Wraith are on Atlantis chatting to them, during their short lived alliance.

They absolutely understand it, what do you mean? They have individual personalities and stuff they're not the borg

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
now imagining a Stargate villain group that's actually a hive mind that doesn't understand individually. maybe they work for a boss who does, who tells them to capture a specific SG team and they just grab some randos off the street and are confused why this isn't what was asked for.

like what man you said you wanted four of these pink guys with the cloth on em right?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Taear posted:

They're not prisoners, it's when the Wraith are on Atlantis chatting to them, during their short lived alliance.

They absolutely understand it, what do you mean? They have individual personalities and stuff they're not the borg

I'm sorry I haven't been watching the show with you and didn't know exactly which instance you're talking about. My memory of John giving wraith names is when they're captured, which seems to be the case with most of the named Wraith on the wiki, Michael included. The wiki also seems to agree they don't use vocal names at all. They distinguish each other by their unique telepathic feel. I haven't watched the show recently enough to give you an episode to reference for that. But it seems there are a lot of easy explanations to let it go.

It's like you being weird of Michael losing his wraith memories and personality when human and not immediately regaining it all back when wraith'd again. You can't possibly figure out how that's possible? Really?

Or that discussion about everyone speaking English in this show, which is only weird because it's in Pegasus as opposed to the Milky Way where it would be fine? That aside, they can't just headcannon that it works because who-cares, it's fine, it's just a campy Sci-Fi? Honestly, I just scrolled back in the thread at this point to it was you being weird about that too.

I mean look at this:

Taear posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

He doesn't miss, it's just he doesn't hit the right spot
So when it comes back he's got like 15 of them stuck in the wall

He didn't miss, he just didn't hit the right spot? Are you just generally contrarian? Stupid? What's going on here?

You're being kind of a lot about this show. At the very least, maybe you should stop hate-watching.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 29, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Light Gun Man posted:

now imagining a Stargate villain group that's actually a hive mind that doesn't understand individually. maybe they work for a boss who does, who tells them to capture a specific SG team and they just grab some randos off the street and are confused why this isn't what was asked for.

like what man you said you wanted four of these pink guys with the cloth on em right?

I mean what you are describing is Saruman's Urak-Hai, at least in the movies. "He said capture some hobbits, we got some hobbits, let's go".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

pixaal posted:

And yet they seem to understand it just fine because they communicate with Atlantis individuals. All that was needed was a simple *growling* "We do not use names! We are the hive! What is so difficult about this for your species to understand?!"

That's terrible writing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Isn't there some classic sci-fi story that deals with humanity encountering a hive mind and dealing with the differences in thinking? From memory it's this horrifying evil enemy that is capturing and vivisecting humans, and we go to fight them, but when that happens the hive mind realizes for the first time that humans are all individual and not drones and are absolutely horrified that they have inadvertantly been snuffing out whole consciousnesses.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zesty posted:

I'm sorry I haven't been watching the show with you and didn't know exactly which instance you're talking about. My memory of John giving wraith names is when they're captured, which seems to be the case with most of the named Wraith on the wiki, Michael included. The wiki also seems to agree they don't use vocal names at all. They distinguish each other by their unique telepathic feel. I haven't watched the show recently enough to give you an episode to reference for that. But it seems there are a lot of easy explanations to let it go.

It's like you being weird of Michael losing his wraith memories and personality when human and not immediately regaining it all back when wraith'd again. You can't possibly figure out how that's possible? Really?

Or that discussion about everyone speaking English in this show, which is only weird because it's in Pegasus as opposed to the Milky Way where it would be fine? That aside, they can't just headcannon that it works because who-cares, it's fine, it's just a campy Sci-Fi? Honestly, I just scrolled back in the thread at this point to it was you being weird about that too.

I mean look at this:

He didn't miss, he just didn't hit the right spot? Are you just generally contrarian? Stupid? What's going on here?

You're being kind of a lot about this show. At the very least, maybe you should stop hate-watching.

What the gently caress is your problem? He didn't miss, they didn't know where to hit. So he keeps throwing until it's the right place. Each time he hits where he's directed but it doesn't work, so he tries again. And again.
I mean it sounds like you've not seen the show in forever so why are you even arguing about it? I was replying to stuff I'd said earlier about the specific episode I was on.

It's just fun to discuss these things, I already said it doesn't really matter. You completely misinterpreted what I was saying about Michael - he lost his wraith memories when he was human but when he went back to being a Wraith he in theory had them back but it means nothing, he's still absolutely identical to how he was before. Because they haven't really got any history or anything they do, he's still just Michael. Maybe they could have said he missed his Hive, he missed his life? But nope, he's just really angry and he leaves. Both times!
He's also proper mad (specifically) that they made up parents for him even though Wraith don't seem to have parents at all.

At least up to now they've not mentioned the Wraith identifying each other. I'm up to series 3. So it's still strange to me that they push for names but the Wraith never answer. Again, it doesn't matter it's just something to talk about when it comes to where I am in the show

The language thing in atlantis is funny because in the original show they do talk about it a little bit. The goa'uld occasionally speak their language too, Klingon style. Atlantis doesn't bother. It's just funny. It helps that Gateworld has a ton of information when it comes to why/how decisions were made in SG1 but absolutely nothing for Atlantis. Most episodes don't have any trivia at all - just a few series/midseries episodes with a few vague bits from the actors saying "my character is doing something cool in this one" from interviews at the time.

Why are you so mad about it? Nobody had posted in the thread since July until I booted it back up again to just say some random stuff about Atlantis

Taear fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 29, 2023

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Senor Tron posted:

Isn't there some classic sci-fi story that deals with humanity encountering a hive mind and dealing with the differences in thinking? From memory it's this horrifying evil enemy that is capturing and vivisecting humans, and we go to fight them, but when that happens the hive mind realizes for the first time that humans are all individual and not drones and are absolutely horrified that they have inadvertantly been snuffing out whole consciousnesses.

Probably thinking of Ender's Game.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

I thought they all got captured by Michael that one time and most of them became fodder for his hybrid experiments, womp womp.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zesty posted:

They described the situation accurately. It's a portion of the organic wall, distinct in shape but otherwise featureless, that contains the cell locking mechanism. Ronon hits it with all the knives but none of them penetrate the power line or whatever it is that they need to disable to unlock the cell. It'd be like having to shoot out a specific breaker on a closed circuit box, you can hit it a bunch of times but still miss the unseen target within.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

McSpanky posted:

I thought they all got captured by Michael that one time and most of them became fodder for his hybrid experiments, womp womp.

I don't think this has happened yet
When they cloak atlantis it's funny that the Athosians stay on the shore after the event and nobody goes "hey maybe they should go elsewhere". They're brought into the city when the wraith attack - it's the last time we see Christopher Hayerdal as an Athosian not a wraith - but after that one event they're sorta forgotten

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taear posted:

I don't think this has happened yet
When they cloak atlantis it's funny that the Athosians stay on the shore after the event and nobody goes "hey maybe they should go elsewhere". They're brought into the city when the wraith attack - it's the last time we see Christopher Hayerdal as an Athosian not a wraith - but after that one event they're sorta forgotten

I was gonna say that the Athosians seem to conveniently disappear roughly around the time that Christopher Heyerdahl got cast in the Twilight movies and as one of the leads in Sanctuary alongside Amanda Tapping, but no they were long gone before that even happened lol. But yeah, they do just straight up disappear after the one dude among them who we're even remotely supposed to care about also stops showing up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I was gonna say that the Athosians seem to conveniently disappear roughly around the time that Christopher Heyerdahl got cast in the Twilight movies and as one of the leads in Sanctuary alongside Amanda Tapping, but no they were long gone before that even happened lol. But yeah, they do just straight up disappear after the one dude among them who we're even remotely supposed to care about also stops showing up.

Teyla tells us there's some of their hunting parties around and we go to the settlement once again to see someone she knows there die
But (for example) when we see Atlantis get destroyed in a fake scenario created for Sheppard not once do they get mentioned.

Also man I am finding more and more Atlantis really does not give a poo poo about their allies. The Genaii help them as much as they can in this episode and the Replicators are even trying to help in their first episode and they just totally gently caress them off and get mega hostile immediately. Ronon is partly to blame for this but it's starting to annoy me

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

atlantis is largely sg-1 without any of the joy and the constant hostility toward everyone in pegasus is a big part of that feeling

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jazerus posted:

atlantis is largely sg-1 without any of the joy and the constant hostility toward everyone in pegasus is a big part of that feeling

I think McKay and Sheppard have a good thing going, Weir ties into that dynamic too. And Zelenka/McKay are fun to watch.
The characters work really well, it's just that the stories around them are strangely angry

Although when it does comedy it does it pretty well - the Richard Kind episode was great

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
He can't be vinced!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did Atlantis ever do anything interesting with Weir being a civilian instead of a military person?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Doesn't she get turned in to a replicator and dumped in space?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did Atlantis ever do anything interesting with Weir being a civilian instead of a military person?

No. She got booted out into space and then replaced with a military person (Carter) and then another civilian (Woolsey) who they at least dabbled with doing interesting stuff with like that time he solves the crisis of the week by literally being a good lawyer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

banned from Starbucks posted:

I vaguely recall there being a power struggle subplot where the military wanted to take over at some point, but I'm only about 60% sure I'm not hallucinating that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

nine-gear crow posted:

No. She got booted out into space and then replaced with a military person (Carter) and then another civilian (Woolsey) who they at least dabbled with doing interesting stuff with like that time he solves the crisis of the week by literally being a good lawyer.

Didn't they recast her again after this?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IRQ posted:

I vaguely recall there being a power struggle subplot where the military wanted to take over at some point, but I'm only about 60% sure I'm not hallucinating that.

Yea it happens about 3 times, it's in The Siege.

It also contains a guy shooting himself because he's been slightly drained by the wraith even though later we get told it slowly reverses and it only LOOKS like aging
Oops

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I legit can't believe Richard Kind gets 2 really similar episodes for his character only ten episodes apart. I also can't believe that kolya dies in the second one, what an unceremonious end!

Both of his episodes are super low scored on Gateworld and IMDB. I get it for the latter one - it breaks rules set previously in the show, it's in a really poo poo location and it's very very similar to his first episode. But the first one was loads of fun, can't believe they hate it so much.

The Return is the most 90s TV episode of the entire show (yes I know it's from 2005) where a loving colossal thing happens then when it's done they basically forget it. The entire job lot of them leaves Atlantis for a full 6-8 weeks and then they're just back again. Everyone's back, no break. I feel like it needed a part three to show them all settling back in or something.
Funny seeing Mulder's sister as an Ancient though

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taear posted:

I legit can't believe Richard Kind gets 2 really similar episodes for his character only ten episodes apart. I also can't believe that kolya dies in the second one, what an unceremonious end!

Both of his episodes are super low scored on Gateworld and IMDB. I get it for the latter one - it breaks rules set previously in the show, it's in a really poo poo location and it's very very similar to his first episode. But the first one was loads of fun, can't believe they hate it so much.

The Return is the most 90s TV episode of the entire show (yes I know it's from 2005) where a loving colossal thing happens then when it's done they basically forget it. The entire job lot of them leaves Atlantis for a full 6-8 weeks and then they're just back again. Everyone's back, no break. I feel like it needed a part three to show them all settling back in or something.
Funny seeing Mulder's sister as an Ancient though

I'm actually surprised that Kolya lasted as long as he did an an Atlantis recurring villain because that was around the time when Robert Davi was starting this Dean Cain/Kevin Sorbo-eque IRL heel turn too and normal people just kinda stopped wanting to work with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm actually surprised that Kolya lasted as long as he did an an Atlantis recurring villain because that was around the time when Robert Davi was starting this Dean Cain/Kevin Sorbo-eque IRL heel turn too and normal people just kinda stopped wanting to work with him.

I thought he was Bruce Boxleitner style where everyone knew he was right wing but he didn't go on about it?