Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Captain Invictus posted:

well don't just keep it to yourself, what's it called

My Suika - Watermelon Game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2671970/My_Suika__Watermelon_Game/

Lots of people in reviews and the forum not understanding that the Switch game is itself a clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
why does it have suika in the name if there is no touhou oni character ingame

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

why does it have suika in the name if there is no touhou oni character ingame

I cannot account for these mysterious words

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HopperUK posted:

My Suika - Watermelon Game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2671970/My_Suika__Watermelon_Game/

Lots of people in reviews and the forum not understanding that the Switch game is itself a clone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I'd never heard of suika-type games before the switch one became a streaming phenomenon, but this is pretty wild
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/17gmk3q/the_popular_streaming_game_suika_is_a_knock_off/

that said I played the original and it's...not good, a good proof of concept but itself not fun like suika is.

there's a better suika clone, Suika World, which is literally just the switch suika but with more physics so you can more easily launch and push stuff out of the way.
https://suika.world/play/offline

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They need to get rid of the shield in Fortnite immediately.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SuperMarioOOC85/status/1730973465425920260?t=WBljo-4c9av4S98hFnRBdw&s=19

The snipers got him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A noble sacrifice to secure the release of his uncle

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So annoyed right now. Someone somewhere mentioned a game, and I was like ooh that sounds interesting, I should check it out, I better write down the name, actually nah I’ll remember. But now I’ve forgotten what game it was, where I heard about it, and why I thought it sounded interesting. All I remember is that I meant to remember. Help?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this is the kind of thing i use obsidian for. if anyone mentions a game or book or something I send it to my daily note and put a hashtag on it, and then I can just search for #reading-list later

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gripweed posted:

They need to get rid of the shield in Fortnite immediately.

It is 20 years since we learned shields were bad in counter-strike 1.6, why do devs still make this mistake

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

So annoyed right now. Someone somewhere mentioned a game, and I was like ooh that sounds interesting, I should check it out, I better write down the name, actually nah I’ll remember. But now I’ve forgotten what game it was, where I heard about it, and why I thought it sounded interesting. All I remember is that I meant to remember. Help?

it was elden ring op, goty of 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

Was it YEAH! YOU WANT "THOSE GAMES," RIGHT? SO HERE YOU GO! NOW, LET'S SEE YOU CLEAR THEM!?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

homeless snail posted:

this is the kind of thing i use obsidian for. if anyone mentions a game or book or something I send it to my daily note and put a hashtag on it, and then I can just search for #reading-list later

I also use Obsidian when I want to remember a great game :hai:

Alpha Protocol, New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, Pillars of Eternity 2, Pentiment... :angel:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jay Rust posted:

You're thinking of the SEGA Saturn version of SimCity 2000, which notably contains the changing of building styles over time, but does not have the PSX's first-person driver mode; the PlayStation version features that, but no changing building styles. It was also released some months earlier than the PSX one was, but this did not avail the Saturn much.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jay Rust posted:

use this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

and it will be found

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

All Star Battle implementing a new character whose ability is "You get injured if you approach me, and the closer you get the greater the injury".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcBcNOSoFzI

Featuring bonus rock insect that injects you with asbestos!

I love Jojo, it gets so dumb :allears:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Alpha Protocol, New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, Pillars of Eternity 2, Pentiment... :angel:

My hot take is that I really like the Outer Worlds as well, and I am excited for the sequel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haven't grabbed it yet but I intend to, though I'll be going in with reduced expectations which hopefully helps. I've also got Tyranny waiting in my backlog, so many good games to play!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I still need to play Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, it was my favorite CRPG until Baldur's Gate 3 came out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's really, really, really loving good!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think I'm liking Pokemon Violet. It's definitely closer to what I want in an open world Pokemon than Arceus.

Disappointed that my pet crocodile grew up into a clown.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I guess the recent marketing must have subliminally set in because over the last few days I’ve replayed Batman Arkham Knight on PC and I had forgotten how good this series was and still is. The combat is great, the way Batman’s suit gets progressively chipped away, torn up, and covered in grime as the game progresses is great, This game’s portrayal of Batman is a compelling character with an almost Doom Guy level of single-minded drive and focus which the game does a good job of playing on. And there are some cool twists and turns in the plot. Even the Batmobile parts of the game are fun (as long as you enable the alternate Battle Mode button toggle in the options menu as opposed to Battle Mode button hold).

When the game came out, I could barely run it, so I ran straight through the main story and quit it, but on modern hardware it looks so good and runs so well that I might just keep going and catch all the criminals and 100% the dumb thing.

I’d highly recommend playing through the entire trilogy (Asylum, City, Knight) on PC if you haven’t. They still hold up.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 4, 2023

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Is there site or other resource that breaks down the best version of a game with multiple versions/releases/ports/remasters?

For example, do I play Secret of Mana via SNES rom or the Steam remaster? Or Yggdra Union for GBA or PSP? Or one of the many versions of Final Fantasy 1

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I think I'm liking Pokemon Violet. It's definitely closer to what I want in an open world Pokemon than Arceus.

It’s a good game

But don’t call the sombrero croc a clown. You’re the clown

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

GreatGreen posted:

I guess the recent marketing must have subliminally set in because over the last few days I’ve replayed Batman Arkham Knight on PC and I had forgotten how good this series was and still is. The combat is great, the way Batman’s suit gets progressively chipped away, torn up, and covered in grime as the game progresses is great, This game’s portrayal of Batman is compelling character with an almost Doom Guy level of single-minded drive and focus which the game does a good job of playing on. And there are some cool twists and turns in the plot. Even the Batmobile parts of the game are fun (as long as you enable the alternate Battle Mode button toggle in the options menu as opposed to Battle Mode button hold).

When the game came out, I could barely run it, so I ran straight through the main story and quit it, but on modern hardware it looks so good and runs so well that I might just keep going and catch all the criminals and 100% the dumb thing.

I’d highly recommend playing through the entire trilogy (Asylum, City, Knight) on PC if you haven’t. They still hold up.

The Arkham games are worth trudging through just for all the fun combat animations (that occasionally bug-out and cause Batman to punch goons in the asscheeks instead the head)

I wish more games allowed you to tactically-dissassemble an opponent's weapon right in front of them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jay Rust posted:

It’s a good game

But don’t call the sombrero croc a clown. You’re the clown

sombrero?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

HOW COULD YOU FORGET TYRANNY :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rinkles posted:

sombrero?

oh i thought you were talking about the first evolution

But have you used its Torch Song move? It rules and that calavera croc rules

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

I guess the recent marketing must have subliminally set in because over the last few days I’ve replayed Batman Arkham Knight on PC and I had forgotten how good this series was and still is. The combat is great, the way Batman’s suit gets progressively chipped away, torn up, and covered in grime as the game progresses is great, This game’s portrayal of Batman is compelling character with an almost Doom Guy level of single-minded drive and focus which the game does a good job of playing on. And there are some cool twists and turns in the plot. Even the Batmobile parts of the game are fun (as long as you enable the alternate Battle Mode button toggle in the options menu as opposed to Battle Mode button hold).

Man I loving loved Asylum on Xbox. I’m going to take your suggestion and download all 3 for PC today

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Super Mario Wonder is so bloody good :allears:

MIMIC DOORS ARE NOT COOL THOUGH NINTENDO :argh:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Good game. Fun setting.

I hope the series isn't done, because I don't think it got much mainstream success.

I know they're making an elder scrolls looking thing, but that looks a whole other type of game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rinkles posted:

if your sandwich is emitting rainbow miasma and star particles, contact a medical professional immediately.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinitum posted:

Super Mario Wonder is so bloody good :allears:

MIMIC DOORS ARE NOT COOL THOUGH NINTENDO :argh:

It really is, the Ninjii Jump Party brought me so much joy despite there being almost zero challenge.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

smellmycheese posted:

Man I loving loved Asylum on Xbox. I’m going to take your suggestion and download all 3 for PC today

One more suggestion about Arkham Knight on PC. The game will let you instantly swap between gamepad and KB+M controls. I'd never recommend controlling Batman's movement and combat with KB+M, but Batmobile combat plays like a shooter, so is excellent with KB+M. When Batmobile combat sections come up I just put down my controller and start using WASD and mouselook. It's totally seamless. Be sure to setup your keybinds as the default ones don't feel very good.

I get that doing this sounds fussy and weird, but considering how much car combat there is in the game and how totally dogshit I am with manually aiming on gamepad, it was a big improvement for me at least.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 4, 2023

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Rinkles posted:

sombrero?

Infinitely preferable to these nightmare toes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shard posted:

HOW COULD YOU FORGET TYRANNY :(

Jerusalem posted:

I've also got Tyranny waiting in my backlog, so many good games to play!

:colbert:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

just do it already! You've had like 5 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

One more suggestion about Arkham Knight on PC. The game will let you instantly swap between gamepad and KB+M controls. I'd never recommend controlling Batman's movement and combat with KB+M, but Batmobile combat plays like a shooter, so is excellent with KB+M. When Batmobile combat sections come up I just put down my controller and start using WASD and mouselook. It's totally seamless. Be sure to setup your keybinds as the default ones don't feel very good.

I get that doing this sounds fussy and weird, but considering how much car combat there is in the game and how totally dogshit I am with manually aiming on gamepad, it was a big improvement for me at least.

Love games that can handle seamlessly between em. Different things handle better with different inputs, just the way it is. Even games that are otherwise perfect on controller often have menus where it'd be a lot faster to just click with a mouse.