Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Adrianics posted:

Boat Story on the Iplayer is really good. Both leads are fantastic, the villains are genuinely scary, the on-location shooting is gorgeous and more than anything it has a great sense of humour.

The trailers did it a disservice then, it didn’t look like much of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

eating only apples posted:

the intended audience of come fly with me would certainly care about a lack of diversity, i'm sure

You know I do think that Dell_Zincht is right about the intention of lucas/walliams
As in "they didn't even consider it, didn't ask any black people and didn't think it'd be taken as racist"

This is NOT me saying it's okay it's more pointing out how sheltered they are

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
At the risk of " You have to hand it to them", the pair have at least now apologised for it with less caveats or reluctantance than others guilty of blackface.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

The_Doctor posted:

The trailers did it a disservice then, it didn’t look like much of anything.

Oh yeah, definitely looked like Generic UK Prestige Small-Town Drama #6184 in the trailers, but have been very pleasantly surprised. It's very Fargo-esque, and I am not capable of greater praise.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Dell_Zincht posted:

Because once again, those characters weren't black or Asian in order to mock their ethnicity - certainly in CFWM's case they were expected to be showcased as the show was set in an airport, the very place you would expect to see people of various different cultures.

Both shows were written by and performed by two incredibly white men. A show comprising entirely of white characters would have led to outrage regarding a lack of diversity.

But it's clear we will never see eye to eye on this topic so I don't know why i'm arguing it - again.

yes, it's probably been more than a year and you appear to have learned nothing lol

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I tried watching ITVX on my Roku box to resume a movie I'd started on my desktop whete I have adblock. It went something like:

Sponsored by Candy Crush
Eight adverts give or take
An itvx indent
Sponsored by Candy crush
An itv preview for something
Sponsored by somebody other than Candy Crush

Exactly numbers/orders might be off; by that point I was watching it like some performance art of hating your customer. Finally the movie started after I don't know how long, but it decided to forget where I was and show from the start.

I'd finished my breakfast by that point, so turned it off, lesson learnt.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I tried watching ITVX on my Roku box to resume a movie I'd started on my desktop whete I have adblock. It went something like:

Sponsored by Candy Crush
An itvx indent
Sponsored by Candy crush

Exactly numbers/orders might be off; by that point I was watching it like some performance art of hating your customer. Finally the movie started after I don't know how long, but it decided to forget where I was and show from the start.

For us there's a 50/50 chance that loading a new ad will just crash the app altogether. It's a horrendous piece of poo poo.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Channel 4 catch-up thing is weird on my smart TV, it doesn't play most adverts but just black screens for (presumably) the right amount of time. Preferable in many ways to seeing/hearing the advert but always a bit disconcerting that it might have just stopped entirely (if the screen goes grey rather than black that is usually the case)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You’ve hit the jackpot. The current ESPN+ ad break in the US is a loop with awful music for the service you’re already watching it on. You will see this approximately 400 times during one game. Originally it was a ‘we’ll be right back’ page with no sound, the glory days.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Sponsored by Candy Crush
An itvx indent
Sponsored by Candy crush

Plug a PC into your TV and watch it on the website
Adblocker blocks all the ads. Doesn't even attempt to load them.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's not a problem, I was just musing on how bad it had got over the number of adverts. Also the fuckers over the Channel 4 who pause the adverts if you tab out to another windows. I was trying to be supportive, but on goes the ad blocker.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

EL BROMANCE posted:

You’ve hit the jackpot. The current ESPN+ ad break in the US is a loop with awful music for the service you’re already watching it on. You will see this approximately 400 times during one game. Originally it was a ‘we’ll be right back’ page with no sound, the glory days.

Oh gently caress that loop with the ad for the service? With all the footage from sports? I'm so bored of it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's not a problem, I was just musing on how bad it had got over the number of adverts. Also the fuckers over the Channel 4 who pause the adverts if you tab out to another windows. I was trying to be supportive, but on goes the ad blocker.

I actually paid for ad-free channel 4 because I wanted to watch Frasier on my iPad without loving around with browsers and they still put fuckin adverts in it, just that they're trailers for other shows. JUST SHOW ME THE PROGRAMME loving hell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thehustler posted:

Oh gently caress that loop with the ad for the service? With all the footage from sports? I'm so bored of it.

It’s killing me. Gf makes me mute the tv every ad break now and I don’t blame her.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Pablo Bluth posted:

I pull the tab out into another (slightly visible) window and it runs the ads in the background then.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Heavy_D posted:

I pull the tab out into another (slightly visible) window and it runs the ads in the background then.

I think that still only works if it's the active window. Might be wrong though, it's a while since I tried to watch C4 on a PC

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Here's something the thread might know.
On I'm a Celebrity this year we've got Nick Picard and he's been in Hollyoaks for nearly 30 years.

Does anyone know how much money he'd be earning? Like is it a "normal amount" for a highish end job (I'm thinking 55-60k a year), is it going to be huge amounts (the simpsons actors get 300k, so in the realm of that) or is it even lower than the 55k? If he was suddenly hosed off from hollyoaks would he be in a place where he probably doesn't need to work again?

In a similar vein if you're an actor that's in like 2 episodes of the bill, 2 episodes of Holby City, an episode of doctors etc etc etc is that enough to live on? Do you get loving loads (comparitively)
I know we have industry people in here and I figure they might have an answer.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Simpsons actors get that per episode.

I think for Hollyoaks - it's a lot of episodes per year, relatively low budget, not an international staple - they probably get substantially <1% of that.

goatface fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 9, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goatface posted:

Yea I know.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/how-much-coronation-street-eastenders-660757 This is a few years out of date now, but it's talking about £450-2000 per episode they appear in for an episode of hollyoaks.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goatface posted:

they're not real, op, they're just cartoons :ssh:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goatface posted:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/how-much-coronation-street-eastenders-660757 This is a few years out of date now, but it's talking about £450-2000 per episode they appear in for an episode of hollyoaks.

Thanks!
I feel like this is kinda less than I was expecting

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I know that the actors who play Ian Beale and Phil Mitchell are both on like £300k each. It must be one of the most cushty gigs ever.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

I know that the actors who play Ian Beale and Phil Mitchell are both on like £300k each. It must be one of the most cushty gigs ever.

I imagine it's a bit scary as one of the big named characters because new writers could come in and go "time for a shakeup, lets kill phil"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Life

Life

I NEED LIFE

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd like to get into more British sitcoms, any favs? Especially from say late 80s, the 90s, 2000s. I did like Fawtly Towers though for sure.

I like Spaced, Dark Place of course, I enjoyed The Office and Extras at the time though not as into the doc style now, haven't seen many British sitcoms. Also I dig Red Dwarf.

On the US side I love say Seinfeld, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Frasier, Cheers, NewsRadio, Curb, and indeed How I Met Your Mother, etc. I also dig sketch but looking into sitcoms currently.

A few I have been meaning to see are Matt Berry's Toast ones, Black Books, and I'm Alan Partridge. Goodnight Sweetheart sounds interesting.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 14, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Two big ones you didn’t list but might’ve seen already are Blackadder and Peep Show. Also look into Derry Girls, Father Ted, IT Crowd, Phoenix Nights, Stath Lets Flats, 15 Storeys High, Gavin and Stacey, Bottom, Fleabag, Coupling, Detectorists, Inbetweeners, Friday Night Dinner, Game On, Grandmas House, Nathan Barley, Might Boosh, People Just Do Nothing, Green Wing, This Country, Uncle. Decent mix of 90s onwards and variety of production and mainstream/alternative.

For humor that isn’t sitcoms, anything involving Chris Morris so The Day Today and Brass Eye. Partridge is involved in the former, and I’d watch that then Knowing Me Knowing You before I’m Alan Partridge personally, he’s a character that’s adapted and changed as time goes on and it’s fun to get the whole (televisual, at least) history. Anything involving Armando Ianucci too, so If you liked Veep then The Thick of It primarily. Any of the ‘Cunk On’ shows. Taskmaster s7 is a show firing on full cylinders that’s a great combination of comedy and gameshow. Sketch comedy like Limmys Show probably holds up better than most of the 80s and 90s stuff (altho Smack The Pony might stand out too), and Look Around You for satire.

I’m not sure if Goodnight Sweetheart will have aged that well, I recall getting quite bored of it at the time and having the main plot be the lead character having an affair felt weird even back then. Half the attraction was probably seeing Rodney from Only Fools and Horses do something different. Maybe Allo Allo would be more fun, it’s definitely something.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Peep show, the Inbetweeners, Fresh meat are very British adult sitcoms and usually feature high up in best comedy lists

Phoneshop is a little less known but I think it's the funniest comedy we've put out in the last 20 odd years. It is unashamedly south London and might not translate internationally

Green wing for something surreal, kind of like a sketch show inside a sitcom

Coupling if you want to see what happened when the UK tried to copy friends and ended up somewhere else because we just can't hug anything out. This one is pretty divisive as quite a few people hate it but I thought it was pretty good

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Goodnight sweetheart was rubbish middle aged, middle England fodder

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Betjeman posted:

Goodnight sweetheart was rubbish middle aged, middle England fodder

Recasting Phoebe halfway through killed it for me. I do like Liz Carling but Dervla Kirwan played the cheeky, often sarcastic cockney role better. Yvonne being recast barely mattered, though. Let's not even talk about the revival in 2016.

Echoing everything said above, also Crashing is a somewhat lesser known PWB sitcom set in an abandoned hospital and is very very funny. Watch it before Fleabag if you haven't already seen the latter.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 14, 2023

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Betjeman posted:

Phoneshop is a little less known but I think it's the funniest comedy we've put out in the last 20 odd years. It is unashamedly south London and might not translate internationally

Hello from the US. I adore Phoneshop! We used to host a watching on Christmas Day for some random reason and everyone has always loved it. Amazing cast that got to ad lib a ton of great lines.

I’ll add Friday Night Dinner to the list. Simple premise and it doesn’t try to be anything more than a slice of life sitcom but don’t hold that against the show!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I watched Some Mothers Do 'Av 'Em, which still stands up thanks to Michael Crawford skill at physical comedy and stunt work.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

+1 for Phoneshop, I remember people calling it chavvy poo poo when it came out but I had more genuine laughs in that then loads of stuff at the time. This intro to an episode from S2 has more jokes in less than two minutes than some entire sitcom episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naSyBvwlXGU

I'd also say you should check out Him and Her and Mum, both written by Stefan Golaszewski, as they're fantastic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A Touch of Cloth is an Airplane/Naked Gun take on UK cop shows, and well worth your time. Written by Charlie Brooker (now hugely famous as the creator of Black Mirror).

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

all this talk of comedy and no limmys show, smdh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Paper Lion posted:

all this talk of comedy and no limmys show, smdh

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sketch comedy like Limmys Show probably holds up better than most of the 80s and 90s stuff

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5VaPQflLq0

Testro
May 2, 2009
For 90s, try The Brittas Empire. Don't watch past the end of series 5; it was written as the ending, and the revival for 6-7 with different writers was terrible.

I have a soft spot for it; you might like seeing Chris Barrie doing something different. He was filming it at the same time as Red Dwarf.

I also really enjoyed Rab C Nesbitt from that era; not sure if it'll translate though. Definitely watch with subtitles if you're not used to Glaswegian; all my mates had to, which seemed so strange to me - but not worth missing a joke.

Testro fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 14, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Testro posted:

I have a soft spot for it; you might like seeing Chris Barrie doing something different. He was filming it at the same time as Red Dwarf

Absolutely! Lord he rules.

Thanks for all the recommendations, lotta cool stuff for the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
kill jester