Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
We're born alone, we buy squash alone, we die alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Nameless Pete posted:

We're born alone, we buy squash alone, we die alone.

Grow squash. Live forever.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I worked as a “produce guy” at a grocery store in my teens. I wouldn’t count on a “produce guy” knowing much more than any other person in the grocery store. I could tell what fruit was spoiled and I knew how to roll pallets of corn out to the floor. Much past that it would just be me tossing out a slew of “smell the bottom” or “it should sound hollow” advice to anyone asking. You want a good pineapple? It should sound hollow. You need a good cantaloupe? Smell the bottom. Don’t smell like anything…well then it should sound hollow. Lemons? Hollow. Apples? Smell the bottom.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Byzantine posted:

?

???

????????
Right?! I'm pretty sure they have that backwards.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I find people who datamine demos and the like to find out as much as they can about a game before they release to be incredibly annoying. Just wait until the game releases! Experience the joy of discovery!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thetoughestbean posted:

I find people who datamine demos and the like to find out as much as they can about a game before they release to be incredibly annoying. Just wait until the game releases! Experience the joy of discovery!

They are though?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tiggum posted:

They are though?

Nah, it’s the equivalent of reading through a Wikipedia plot summary before watching a movie.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Not to them.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

Same.

Similarly, Animal Crossing New Horizons was already pretty weak as an animal crossing game but then they released an update that just told you, in plain text, at the start of every day what all the seasonal and random events that were happening that day were, with no way to turn it off, and i seriously hated it, let me discover for myself what shits going on on my island! That was like the last vestige of the original animal crossing concept!

Everything caters to people with no patience nor curiosity now I s2g :cloud:

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Dec 4, 2023

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
When it feels as if you are being judged for how you play things, it's natural to try and play "optimally" even if it isn't as fun to you. This is a problem everywhere, but in games especially.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

When it feels as if you are being judged for how you play things, it's natural to try and play "optimally" even if it isn't as fun to you. This is a problem everywhere, but in games especially.

I think it's just a side effect of living in the information age. You're able to look up how to do anything and many people have spent countless hours discussing and refining the thing you like. You can see the results of their work and it makes yours look like poo poo. You feel like you've missed out by not learning how they do it and replicating it.

It's true of every hobby or interest I have. Painting, knitting, game design, writing, music, even the simplest things like how to brew good coffee.

But you're right there's something special about the way it effects how I play games. Every Skyrim character I make ends up a sneaky archer lol

Punkinhead has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Dec 4, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

On the other hand, 'first timers making deeply amateur crochet sweaters out of the cheapest possible yarn' seems to be having a moment on YouTube and honestly I'm here for it, the kids are making some wild stuff

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Punkinhead posted:

But you're right there's something special about the way it effects how I play games. Every Skyrim character I make ends up a sneaky archer lol

I just take the contrarian approach instead. "Oh, so bows are supposedly poo poo in From games? WELL THEN I'LL JUST PLAY ALL OF ELDEN RING WITH A BOW*! SEE HOW YOU LIKE THAT, uh, person who has never interacted me and never will!"

That's much healthier, I'm sure.

*I actually did do this.

Don't do this.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I try to avoid spoilers for games specifically because I have the type of brain worms where if I know the optimal way to do something it's hard for me not to. Makes games that require a wiki in order to play at all really frustrating.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I started playing Minecraft when it was in Alpha and I was in high school and again, old man yelling at clouds, but it's such a wiki-reliant game now that playing it in any way other than just wandering around and not engaging with most of the mechanics, idk how one does it without binge reading the wiki beforehand

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I think with games the biggest problem is the time investment. If you don't look stuff up, you can be 35 hours in before you finally crack and ask why your build is poo poo only to get the answer that you needed to get the Chungus Ring from the back alley merchant who vanishes after you kill the third boss, or your damage will drop off hard because all the enemies in the midgame resist your damage type.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I simply play games in a way that is fun for me and stop playing when it stops being fun.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The “X Must Go/Who Must Go?” meme format is just godawful. Never good

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

I simply play games in a way that is fun for me and stop playing when it stops being fun.

I play games (like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri) for which obsessive weirdos are still finding new strategies and bug exploits a quarter-century after release.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

The “X Must Go/Who Must Go?” meme format is just godawful. Never good

Oh, is there something you wanted to say about Bashar al-Assad? Perhaps your opinion about what should happen to him politically in the near future?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Oh, is there something you wanted to say about Bashar al-Assad? Perhaps your opinion about what should happen to him politically in the near future?

quote:

PROBATION 12/05/23 09:16am Gripweed SHUT UP. User loses posting privileges for 1 day. AARD VARKMAN AARD VARKMAN

Okay, I'll admit, this is a pretty decent iteration of the meme.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Killingyouguy! posted:

I started playing Minecraft when it was in Alpha and I was in high school and again, old man yelling at clouds, but it's such a wiki-reliant game now that playing it in any way other than just wandering around and not engaging with most of the mechanics, idk how one does it without binge reading the wiki beforehand

Theres a growing opinion that in the transition between beta 1.7.3 and Release 1.0 Minecraft lost something ineffable, and honestly i agree

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

thetoughestbean posted:

The meme format is just godawful. Never good

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
french numbers are fine.

quatre-vingt-dix-neuf. four twenty ten nine. 99. can you do math? can you add? can you multiply?? it's not confusing.

especially when danish is right there. half treds? fifty is not half of sixty!! learn some math.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

french numbers are fine.

quatre-vingt-dix-neuf. four twenty ten nine. 99. can you do math? can you add? can you multiply?? it's not confusing.

especially when danish is right there. half treds? fifty is not half of sixty!! learn some math.

Yeah. I'll go further, I think it's all good. If you actually use those languages they just mean what they mean. No french person thinks "4x20" when they say 80. They just say the word for 80, which happens to be made of other words.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Eighty? You mean like a number that is sorta close to eight? Eightish?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I found it hard to understand the French numeric system because it turned out they were all written in French.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Yeah. I'll go further, I think it's all good. If you actually use those languages they just mean what they mean. No french person thinks "4x20" when they say 80. They just say the word for 80, which happens to be made of other words.

SPEAKING OF, russian similarly make me annoyed at people

when counting, one tank, nominative singular, two of tank, genitive singular, up to three of tank, four of tank, then though it's genitive plural, five of tanks, six of tanks... until you get to eleven then it's eleven of tank, twelve of tank, etc until fifteen of tanks, sixteen of tanks, twenty-one of tank, twenty-five of tanks,

it's quirky but it's really not confusing!!

like this copy paste I'mma google

So it goes like this:

1 кот – 1 cat
3 кота – 3 cats
56 котов – 56 cats
56982 кота – 56982 cats (because it ends with a 2)

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Dec 6, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No one is allowed to complain about the US not using the metric system ever again.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Where can I buy the latest 56982 кота LP? Do they have a bandcamp?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

SPEAKING OF, russian similarly make me annoyed at people

when counting, one tank, nominative singular, two of tank, genitive singular, up to three of tank, four of tank, then though it's genitive plural, five of tanks, six of tanks... until you get to eleven then it's eleven of tank, twelve of tank, etc until fifteen of tanks, sixteen of tanks, twenty-one of tank, twenty-five of tanks,

it's quirky but it's really not confusing!!

like this copy paste I'mma google

So it goes like this:

1 кот – 1 cat
3 кота – 3 cats
56 котов – 56 cats
56982 кота – 56982 cats (because it ends with a 2)

English has a similar kind of thing with ordinal numbers. Most of them end with -th but there are special suffixes for numbers that end with 1, 2 or 3 EXCEPT when the next-to-last digit is a 1, in which case they use the standard -th instead. But if you've been speaking the language all your life, it's so automatic that you don't need to stop and think that it's 413th, not 413rd.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

docbeard posted:

No one is allowed to complain about the US ever again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Americans, all of us, should agree to act like we 100% believe that Paul Bunyan was real when talking to foreigners. Babe the blue ox too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Americans, all of us, should agree to act like we 100% believe that Paul Bunyan was real when talking to foreigners. Babe the blue ox too.

Why would we need to act?

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Are you saying he’s not real??

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ScienceSeagull posted:

Are you saying he’s not real??

Of course not, don’t be foolish.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Slight flaw in your plan: no one outside of America knows who they are.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Big Guy and his big blue ox

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tiggum posted:

Slight flaw in your plan: no one outside of America knows who they are.

Paul Bunyan is an important part of American culture, therefore he's an important part of world culture. So it speaks poorly of you that you don't know who Paul Bunyan and Babe the blue ox are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

John Henry is the goat of American folk heroes. Remember reading about him in elementary school and have spent the rest of my life chasing that ideal.