Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Most people aren’t searching for discerning, high quality work. They want background noise while doing homework or something to kill time while commuting or taking a dump. That’s why these videos of Wiki summaries read by Microsoft Sam still get enough views to keep pumping them out.
its this weird middle ground where people do this but also get really invested in the guys theyre using as background noise and violently defend them online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

RLM thread having a normal one:

lol

every time I peek into that thread they're miserable about fuckin everything

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

I can't believe Hbomberguy may control the fate of the middle east.

Points to the person here who predicted it would be Somerton months ago

Having a kick watching everyone melt down about the internet historian dude lol. cant wait to watch the vid

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

its this weird middle ground where people do this but also get really invested in the guys theyre using as background noise and violently defend them online
i mean there are absolutely hardcore fans who form a weird cult of personality around a creator

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

Yeah the people who get really invested are truly something else. They take it to the absolute next level. Meanwhile normal people just put on the absolute most boring explainer videos about idk the latest marvel tv show and all the Easter eggs and fall asleep to it.

It’s wild

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The IH thing just illustrates, aside from the fact that the guy's a scummy hack, that someone needs to collab with Mental Floss and Lucas Reilly to make an official audiobook reading of his Floyd Collins article.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Runa posted:

lol

which is crazy because rlm is the coziest goofball show. No stakes at all, yet that thread has generated some real weirdos.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Famethrowa posted:

which is crazy because rlm is the coziest goofball show. No stakes at all, yet that thread has generated some real weirdos.

My girlfriend hates Rich Evans' laugh more than anything in the universe. Next April 1st I will briefly change my alarm ringtone to it, and it will be glorious.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Good thread by Dan.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1731781690769412145?s=20

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Good thread by Dan.

Yeah. He explains the details behind his own clapback against Somerton earlier this year. Somerton had a twitter main character moment with "sex work should be subsidized as a mental health service" (lol I forgot about that) and two days later he told his patreons that the fallout from that was so bad he was gonna have to shut down the channel unless everyone chipped in a bit more, which they did. Less than a month later he buys an $8000 cinematic camera to add to his collection. What a scumbag lol

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pigbuster posted:

Yeah. He explains the details behind his own clapback against Somerton earlier this year. Somerton had a twitter main character moment with "sex work should be subsidized as a mental health service" (lol I forgot about that) and two days later he told his patreons that the fallout from that was so bad he was gonna have to shut down the channel unless everyone chipped in a bit more, which they did. Less than a month later he buys an $8000 cinematic camera to add to his collection. What a scumbag lol

Sure doesn't sound like a guy who saved any of the patreon money to live off

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Does anyone have the tweet from Dan? I'm curious what he said to James

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pigbuster posted:

Wow I can't believe the guy who had his arms and legs replaced with giant red warning signs was shady. No wonder nobody saw this coming

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Pigbuster posted:

wait, that tweet was from somerton? holy poo poo, that tweet managed to get on my radar and i'm super unaware. i just assumed it was some run of the mill mra incel, not a gay content creator

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

He can be both.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Happy Landfill posted:

Does anyone have the tweet from Dan? I'm curious what he said to James

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1642265918935011328?s=20

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Inspector Gesicht posted:

He can be both.

:hmmyes:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Shrecknet posted:

hbomb's comin'

Stealing from FDsignifier. For shame.

https://twitter.com/FDsignifier/status/1731149277320151263

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

I'm just imagining Dan doing a Comfortably Doug-style video on this guy. Just sitting in that chair with the same, "I'm not mad, I'm not even disappointed, this is exactly what I expected from you" tone of voice :munch: Dan is so cutting

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 4, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Runa posted:

lol

which fits rlm, which is generally miserable about fuckin everything

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I figure now's as good a time as any to ask: Is there actually a functional way to read Twitter threads anymore if you don't have an account? Because on my end these days all I get are single tweets (maybe bundled with a reply if I'm lucky) or account pages with tweets in a random order.

Hel posted:

You can't describe the gameplay loop of an immersive sim, because that would ruin it. A lot of it's use is having a "thinking mans genre", now that RPGs and stealth games are mainstream.
It's why it can be used simultaneously for late 90's/early 00's FPS games, Action-RPGs and Stealth games with little in common, because it's very often just used as a way to separate the games I like from the games enjoyed by the plebs. How often are games like SiN or Skyrim brought up as immersive sims? Pretty much never because they are either pretty bad or regarded as dumbed down for babies, despite being very similar to others mechanically.
Sure you could use it for the Deus Ex style Action-RPG sub genre, but then why is Thief considered one? It's a pretty standard ( if very good and foundational) Stealth Action game.

I've been particularly low-key pissed off about this because I've seen two different takes within a week trying to insist other stealth games don't count as immersive sims Because, but Thief does for reasons not specified beyond being first person and being developed by Looking Glass, which are pretty meager justifications. One of those takes was itself arguing against the tendency for people to slap the label on whatever thinky good smart game they felt like while doing the same loving thing!! Thief has literally always been the major outlier that gets inexplicably grandfathered in and muddles the definition. It's especially funny because half the reason why Deus Ex exists as it does is because Warren Spector got cranky about not being able to sword fight his way through everything in Thief.

But then, even excepting Thief, the other genre darlings rarely mesh together that well either and I've heard all sorts of wacky bullshit. Like System Shock 1 doesn't count. Or maybe it does count, but the remake doesn't count. And of course, the very important need to quarantine Bioshock at all costs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I figure now's as good a time as any to ask: Is there actually a functional way to read Twitter threads anymore if you don't have an account? Because on my end these days all I get are single tweets (maybe bundled with a reply if I'm lucky) or account pages with tweets in a random order.

Replace twitter (or x.com) in the url with nitter.com to get something mostly readable.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

John Murdoch posted:

Changing twitter.com to nitter.net still seems to work for now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:tipshat:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah Nitter ain't perfect but is functionally the only way to read anything but individual embedded tweets if you refuse to sign up for Elon's bullshit.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

which fits rlm, which is generally miserable about fuckin everything

Eh, they've been pretty cheery (for 40-year-old Milwaukee residents) the past year or so of videos. Not feeling obliged to talk about every nerd franchise blockbuster movie seems like it was good for their souls.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hel posted:

You can't describe the gameplay loop of an immersive sim, because that would ruin it. A lot of it's use is having a "thinking mans genre", now that RPGs and stealth games are mainstream.
It's why it can be used simultaneously for late 90's/early 00's FPS games, Action-RPGs and Stealth games with little in common, because it's very often just used as a way to separate the games I like from the games enjoyed by the plebs. How often are games like SiN or Skyrim brought up as immersive sims? Pretty much never because they are either pretty bad or regarded as dumbed down for babies, despite being very similar to others mechanically.
Sure you could use it for the Deus Ex style Action-RPG sub genre, but then why is Thief considered one? It's a pretty standard ( if very good and foundational) Stealth Action game.
Also they don't really look or feel like other games called simulators, nor are they necessarily more immersive than other games (including some sims). Any flying game with a VR option is way more deserving of the descriptor than Prey or Deus Ex.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm just imagining Dan doing a Comfortably Doug-style video on this guy. Just sitting in that chair with the same, "I'm not mad, I'm not even disappointed, this is exactly what I expected from you" tone of voice :munch: Dan is so cutting

I also love that Dan characterizes his original Tweet as him "snapping" at Somerton, when it's him doing an entirely dry and to the point "You are very obviously spouting bullshit".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Eh, they've been pretty cheery (for 40-year-old Milwaukee residents) the past year or so of videos. Not feeling obliged to talk about every nerd franchise blockbuster movie seems like it was good for their souls.

Oh that’s nice! I haven’t watched them much recently. I’m glad for them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

John Murdoch posted:

I figure now's as good a time as any to ask: Is there actually a functional way to read Twitter threads anymore if you don't have an account?

1: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

2: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/redirector

3:
code:
Twitter > Nitter

Redirect: https://twitter.com/*

to: https://nitter.net/$1

Example: https://twitter.com/davidzmorris/status/1704090080694915472 -> https://nitter.net/davidzmorris/status/1704090080694915472

Applies to: Main window (address bar)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Jenny getting some jabs in. I had no idea she had interacted with Somerton.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1731492236972699988

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1731492236972699988
:cop:
Now be honest with us and tell the truth, Harry. Did this white lady hire you to bomb poor Jimmy's career?:shuckyes:

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Seeing Spoony, Armake and Irate Gamer in the AVGN segment was some real ghost of christmas past poo poo.

oh god armake

that's a name i haven't heard in years

seriously gently caress that guy

what did hbomb say about him

last time i heard he wasn't a fan

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Groovelord Neato posted:

Just remembered a bizarre example of YouTube plagiarism I stumbled upon last year. It's a sizable true crime youtube channel but can't remember its name - it's an American white guy talking to the camera with a greenscreened background of grey. I was recommended his video on the Port Arthur massacre and put it on to kill time at work. I googled "Martin Bryant" (the prepetrator) and the first result was an entry written about him for the Criminal Minds wiki. Didn't know about the show and was confused why it would have an entry and clicked on it for shits and giggles and noticed the video was section by section the same as the page. What really sealed it was the entry had a section called Conspiracy or something along those lines and the video ended with a portion about about conspiracy theories which I've never heard of despite being familiar with the crime.

It looks like that final section has been edited out of the wiki sometime in the past year. Wouldn't have noticed without that section and probably wouldn't have thought much of it but in the past I'd been recommended that guy's videos and I'm pretty sure he gets in the 100s of thousands of views per upload.

The weirdest case of plagiarism I noticed in the wild on youtube was the OverSimplified episode on Prohibition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAGIi62-sAU

It's clearly ripping off Ken Burns Prohibition documentary that aired on PBS in 2011, shortened and with a joke added in every minute or so. Like, the list of historic US alcohol facts that starts at 1:11 in the video is literally the same as the ones Burns used in the first episode of the documentary, presented in the same order and everything. Then again, there is a lot of humor added. Even though it clearly cribbed all its facts and its basic structure from the documentary, it feels a lot more transformative than all the examples hbomb shows.

It was still enough to get me to unsubscribe from the channel, though, just because it felt a little scummy.

(Also, that video has >43 million views holy gently caress.)

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 5, 2023

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

oh god armake

Armake21 wasn't mentioned in the script I don't think? Just appeared in the background as one of the various other angry reviewer folks from AVGN's prime along with the other folks mentioned. He passed away earlier this year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Armake is dead.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Armake21 wasn't mentioned in the script I don't think? Just appeared in the background as one of the various other angry reviewer folks from AVGN's prime along with the other folks mentioned.

oh ok

Kim Justice posted:

He passed away earlier this year.

oh poo poo

not gonna say i wished for his death or anything like that but glad he can't hurt anyone else

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He was mentioned as someone Spoony credited with inspiring him. I

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

oh god armake

Only that Spoony openly cited Armake as an inspiration to make his own angry gamer videos.

John Murdoch posted:

I've been particularly low-key pissed off about this because I've seen two different takes within a week trying to insist other stealth games don't count as immersive sims Because, but Thief does for reasons not specified beyond being first person and being developed by Looking Glass, which are pretty meager justifications. One of those takes was itself arguing against the tendency for people to slap the label on whatever thinky good smart game they felt like while doing the same loving thing!! Thief has literally always been the major outlier that gets inexplicably grandfathered in and muddles the definition. It's especially funny because half the reason why Deus Ex exists as it does is because Warren Spector got cranky about not being able to sword fight his way through everything in Thief.

But then, even excepting Thief, the other genre darlings rarely mesh together that well either and I've heard all sorts of wacky bullshit. Like System Shock 1 doesn't count. Or maybe it does count, but the remake doesn't count. And of course, the very important need to quarantine Bioshock at all costs.

Did Doc Burford write one of them? I read his take on the subject the other day and it seems like the sort of thing that would annoy some people here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

Seeing Spoony, Armake and Irate Gamer in the AVGN segment was some real ghost of christmas past poo poo.

Irate Gamer is hot on the trail of the ghost of christmas past right now, incidentally.