Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Drakkel posted:

Probably cause American sports fans tend to make rooting for their team their entire personality so a draw means neither side gets the bragging rights

I mean, have you seen European football fans? There was once a candidate for election to Parliament around here, who was so happy that Leeds had knocked Man United out of the FA Cup he legally changed his name to “We Beat The Scum One-Nil” to contest said election.

(He got 155 votes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

whenever they show the chart they should also put a QR code on the screen that you can scan that has ryan satin explain all the rules to you

👀👀👀🔥🔥🔥

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dawgstar posted:

Why can't Bryan watch the entirety of a show he I presumes receives some money to watch and then talk about?

Actual answer, as far as I know: Bryan records AEW shows on Youtube TV, where someone behind the scenes apparently needs to set up the ability to record the overrun automatically when you record the main show. Maybe their backend is dumb, who knows? The point is, AEW shows don't have that set up. Usually this isn't a problem, because I'm pretty sure I can count the number of times AEW shows have overrun before this tournament started on one hand. But now the Continental Classic has started, and it's starting to look like the main event tournament match getting a few minutes of overrun for the climax is the standard format.

In short, Bryan now has to figure out a workaround to record the extra five minutes, and it's a pain in the rear end but it is his job.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Actual answer, as far as I know: Bryan records AEW shows on Youtube TV, where someone behind the scenes apparently needs to set up the ability to record the overrun automatically when you record the main show. Maybe their backend is dumb, who knows? The point is, AEW shows don't have that set up. Usually this isn't a problem, because I'm pretty sure I can count the number of times AEW shows have overrun before this tournament started on one hand. But now the Continental Classic has started, and it's starting to look like the main event tournament match getting a few minutes of overrun for the climax is the standard format.

In short, Bryan now has to figure out a workaround to record the extra five minutes, and it's a pain in the rear end but it is his job.

But youtubetv generally automatically gets the overrrun.
I'm like a week behind so maybe I'll be angrily shaking my fist that this week it didn't, idk

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

But youtubetv generally automatically gets the overrrun.

It takes a day or so to get it, which doesn't work when you need it for your 3 a.m. podcast with the San jose Steamroller.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Drakkel posted:

Probably cause American sports fans tend to make rooting for their team their entire personality so a draw means neither side gets the bragging rights

Worldwide Soccer/Football fandom eclipses anything that American sports fans do. You are talking out of your rear end

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Pre-covid we had a work volleyball tournament night thing, round robin. Lots of fun even though my team went 1-4. After the group round play was done the organizers were trying to figure out which 4 teams made it into the final 4. Thanks to listening to Dave do G1 math, I took over and pointed out that even though two teams had the same record, one held a win over the other and therefore they made the cut. The organizers were totally clueless. Moral of the story, most people don't understand round robin tournaments.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

TinTower posted:

I mean, have you seen European football fans? There was once a candidate for election to Parliament around here, who was so happy that Leeds had knocked Man United out of the FA Cup he legally changed his name to “We Beat The Scum One-Nil” to contest said election.

(He got 155 votes.)

I mean, Leeds fans have few enough chances for triumphalism, so let's not begrudge them that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shard posted:

how is it done for american football figuring out who is in the playoffs? Because I know most of these people probably watch that.

Regarding this, specifically:

TinTower posted:

the moral of today, Sunday 3rd December 2023, is that "you fight everyone and the one who wins the most wins" is confusing but "we get you went undefeated all season but you miss the playoffs because you fail the vibe check" is totally comprehensible

In college football, 130ish teams play 12 games (plus potentially a conference championship) with little overlap outside their conference(five of which are more special than the other five! and some teams don't have a conference at all), then a group of people get to decide which 4 are the best, despite little actual head to head.

Shard's comment is about how FSU was left out despite going 13-0 and winning one of the special conferences because their QB got injured.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Regarding this, specifically:

In college football, 130ish teams play 12 games (plus potentially a conference championship) with little overlap outside their conference(five of which are more special than the other five! and some teams don't have a conference at all), then a group of people get to decide which 4 are the best, despite little actual head to head.

Shard's comment is about how FSU was left out despite going 13-0 and winning one of the special conferences because their QB got injured.

As a Tulane fan I can feel this post.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/SixZzshOtRipZz/status/1731448751804305746

Ah yes, noted rookie to the entertainment side of wrestling, Kenny Omega

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kenny is nearing the end of his career. Honestly I think he's learned everything he's going to learn at this point. Also lol at watching the belt collector run and thinking Kenny doesn't know how to lean into the sports entertainment portion of wrestling.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shard posted:

Also lol at watching

Let me stop you right there,

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the one thing missing from his career is an in ring talk show segment

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Shame Omega never learned find the hard cam

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kenny already did time in WWE developmental though

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

He even got the authentic Bill DeMott experience, what more do you need

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tweak posted:

the one thing missing from his career is an in ring talk show segment

"Welcome to 'You Can't Escape (My Questions)'..."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why are people posting a 19 year old clip from CZW Cage of Death 6 on Twitter?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Because it's something to get mad about.

Honestly glad that Twitter wasn't around when guys like Ric Blade were doing incredibly stupid poo poo, some dorks would have tried to take away the joy of it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/okjklay/status/1731744458264236451

Yes, Jeff Hardy definitely could sustain a singles run in his current condition,

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fez_machine posted:

https://twitter.com/okjklay/status/1731744458264236451

Yes, Jeff Hardy definitely could sustain a singles run in his current condition,

even with the fact he can barely walk aside, what does this guy think is left in the ol' jeff hardy bag of tricks besides "crazy stunts and nostalgia"

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dawgstar posted:

People who post cool gifs posts it and then content farm accounts post was it worth it? Then a bunch of morons post the same joke about a handshake and a hot dog over and over again.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I wanna see the gif

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

apophenium posted:

I wanna see the gif

https://twitter.com/KVR216/status/1730784395022188704?s=20

Make no mistake, it's a really dumb spot & going through the table feet first seems like a recipe for broken ankles but it's still deranged how many people's first instinct is to snitch tag the most bitter & boring podcasters in the land.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

forkboy84 posted:

Make no mistake, it's a really dumb spot & going through the table feet first seems like a recipe for broken ankles but it's still deranged how many people's first instinct is to snitch tag the most bitter & boring podcasters in the land.

It loving rules. It’s an insane cage of death.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
If their goal was to do something insane and dangerous enough that it would be remembered, it clearly worked.

I feel spots like that in the backs of my calves.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

jesus christ

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s a rad spot

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Drakkel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtaCryzL20

There's a reason why I love posting this video whenever there's a draw in AFL, it's just so awkward post match because neither club song plays so it's a great way to let off tension.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The_Rob posted:

It loving rules. It’s an insane cage of death.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Has there ever been even a single person who was so insanely concerned about young wrestlers taking advice in literally any other wrestling company in the history of civilization?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

34 years old and posting online about what a good boy I would be if i got to be a pro wrestler when I grow up.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Doesn't this all stem from a misunderstood Hangman thing that Punk cited at All Out where he said he didn't really take advice from the older generation but what he really meant was, he wasn't trying to take moves or whole pieces of psychology from other people and instead come up with his own stuff? Like, he definitely listens to the mentors in AEW, he's just not trying to repeat anyone else's schtick.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

34 years old and posting online about what a good boy I would be if i got to be a pro wrestler when I grow up.

El Generico posted:

Doesn't this all stem from a misunderstood Hangman thing that Punk cited at All Out where he said he didn't really take advice from the older generation but what he really meant was, he wasn't trying to take moves or whole pieces of psychology from other people and instead come up with his own stuff? Like, he definitely listens to the mentors in AEW, he's just not trying to repeat anyone else's schtick.

It was more kind of just a self-deprecating thing about him being stubborn and wanting to figure things out on his own iirc

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

forkboy84 posted:

That doesn't seem close to as stupid a bump as the jack Evans flipping off the cage one from I think cod3

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Diamond Dallas Page started at 35. It's not impossible.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

forkboy84 posted:

Maybe I am missing something obvious, but what move are they trying to do here? Jack Evans somehow launched a guy in the air from behind himself and then lands on him? I don't know that I've ever seen that set up before.

Just let him fall, my friend. You had it in the bag at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

beepo posted:

Maybe I am missing something obvious, but what move are they trying to do here? Jack Evans somehow launched a guy in the air from behind himself and then lands on him? I don't know that I've ever seen that set up before.

Just let him fall, my friend. You had it in the bag at this point.

That’s Chris Cash not Jack evans and he was doing his move the cash flow. He modified it in the cage of death match.

https://youtu.be/opz_3JNOnJU?si=e7qE4eKZKLKW-ylt