Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Crab Dad posted:

I knew some plugger would come along and explain it.
I Don't Deserve This Treatment And You Clearly Hate Me Because I'm Hot And Sexy And Posting Kevin & Kell Which Has Decided To Do. This. Plot Idea. For Some Reason. It's February In The Comic Right Now. I Guess We'll Resume This Plot In A Few Days' Worth Of Comics. Anyway. What Have I Done To Deserve This.

Literally Better Than The Entire Run Of K&K So Far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

drat, Weirdly is upping his game. He might be going for full-on supervillain status.

Flash Gordon

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Crankshaft just rocketing past all sensible objections after all. The last strip was literally Funky laughing in Dopey Pete's face about the idea of having free time. His poor socially entrapped fiancee is all smiles now.

Mmm mmm, sunk cost fallacy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

drat, Weirdly is upping his game. He might be going for full-on supervillain status.

At this of year the average temperature difference between the Gobi and Sahara is about 40 degrees C. Slylock doesn’t need to look at the camels.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "420 -Jucika Takes Her Husband Home"

"421 - Jucika And The Unwise Jealousy"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

when this happened at a store I worked in 30 years ago we just cranked up the music and turned off the lights.

I worked at Sears back in the early 2000s and her experience matches mine. You were not permitted to ask anyone to leave, your shift just extended late into the night until all the fuckers got out of the store.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

amigolupus posted:

In any other scenario, this would just be two people who haven't seen each other in decades reconnecting by bonding over the things they liked. But this is explicitly Keith inviting his ex-girlfriend to an activity that he suggested so he can try winning her over and have an 'in' with his kid who doesn't want anything to do with him. So all the compliments to Kitty and reminiscing over how much fun they had, how great they were together, feels a bit... manipulative.

The kid really is the third wheel in this plot. She only exists at all to provide a means for Keith and Kitty and reconnect. But her whole existence, and the reason why that existence is significant, is just being glossed over as no big deal. Even if we ignore the ethical question of why a woman wouldn't tell a man that she'd had his child, so far that kid's whole motivation has just been to play junior detective over her biological father and then get angry when she finds out that he's a cop, something that she somehow didn't already know when she already had enough information to find his new address. And I'm not at all sure how that angle of the plot is supposed to resolve short of her just arbitrarily deciding that his being a cop isn't so bad, since her mom thinks Keith is fuckable. Except that her mom thinking Keith is fuckable was literally the only thing she already knew about him before all this got started!

edit: the only way I can think of for this to get worse is that the daughter contrived this entire situation to try and get her mother a boyfriend. Which is so stupid that I'm now halfway convinced that this is what's actually going to happen.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 4, 2023

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Weird speech bubble error that I'm surprised Allison didn't fix there. Sean should be asking about the Jimmy Clitherhoe, not Grampa asking himself (even if he doesn't know what he's come up with.)

The Mod King Challenge is so good. Remember, the correct answer is "Taking A Leak" and not "The Whom are Garbage Music"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Okay, I cackled more at that than at any Pluggers joke. I've had those "gotta get around to it sometime" chores. That said, you have to write it down before you go to the store! A furnace filter needs to fit right.

Flash Gordon

There's a lot to love about this comic but what I keep noticing is how dynamic the trio is with each other. It's Flash's comic, he gets the spotlight, but the others aren't just doing nothing. Contrast with, say, Mandrake.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Hippocrass posted:

Krazy Kat(July 14, 1918)

Wherein something awakens within Ignatz.
This is, so far, the most extreme example of playing around with Krazy's gender. Harriman isn't trying to invoke LGBTQ+ themes, at least not intentionally, but the early LGBTQ+ communities were definitely paying attention.

Could this, or Krazy’s gender fluidity in general, be influenced by Herriman’s passing as white? I’ve never seen a Krazy Kat strip where the kat changes color before.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

don Jaime posted:

Could this, or Krazy’s gender fluidity in general, be influenced by Herriman’s passing as white? I’ve never seen a Krazy Kat strip where the kat changes color before.

Harriman had some suspicions of his heritage, but it does not seem to have been something that was known within his family.

quote:

Herriman's ethnic heritage was unknown to his colleagues. Fellow cartoonist Tad Dorgan nicknamed him "the Greek", a label which stuck and was taken up by his biographers and the press, who called him the son of a Greek baker.[81] At other times, he was identified as French, Irish, and Turkish.[82] He told a friend that he was Creole, and speculated that he may have "Negro blood" in him, as he had "kinky hair".[2] The friend said that Herriman wore a hat to hide his hair,[81] which may have been an attempt to pass as white.[83] Herriman said that he dreamed of being reborn a Navajo.[82] On his death certificate, he was listed as "Caucasian",[74] and his daughter Mabel had his father's birthplace listed as Paris and his mother's as Alsace-Lorraine.[2]

quote:

Sociologist Arthur Asa Berger made Herriman's mixed-race heritage known in 1971. While researching for Herriman's entry for the Dictionary of American Biography, Berger discovered the cartoonist's race was listed as "colored" on his birth certificate obtained from the New Orleans Board of Health. The 1880 census for New Orleans listed his parents as "mulatto".[84
Later research at the New Orleans Public Library by cartoonist Brian Nelson showed that Herriman's maternal grandmother was born in Havana, Cuba, that all his relatives were listed as "mulatto" on the 1890 census, and that Herriman may also have had Spanish or Native American ancestry.[6]

Interestingly, his very first recurring strip played into the 'passing' moral panic of the day.

quote:

His success with these syndicated strips convinced Herriman to give up on magazine submissions.[13] For the Pulitzer papers on February 16, 1902, he began his first strip that had a continuing character, Musical Mose. The strip featured an African-American musician who impersonated other ethnicities, only to suffer the consequences when discovered by his audience.

He seems to have only made three Musical Mose strips before moving on.

There will be other instances of playing with race in Krazy Kat.

Also, interestingly:

quote:

In 2012, IDW began issuing a three-volume Baron Bean reprinting,[131] and Fantagraphics will release George Herriman's Stumble Inn.[132] Fantagraphics has also announced plans to collect the complete Krazy Kat dailies at an unspecified time.[130]
I'll have to look out for these! Especially the Dailies collection, if it winds up happening.

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 4, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (July 5-9, 2004)

Five strips today and tomorrow for pacing reasons (and so we can get through this horrible awful font sooner).

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Comic Strips 2023: He was pooping

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (July 5-9, 2004)

When Johnny A decides a character isn't working, he is ruthless.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sundae posted:

I worked at Sears back in the early 2000s and her experience matches mine. You were not permitted to ask anyone to leave, your shift just extended late into the night until all the fuckers got out of the store.

How did that work with overtime and whatnot? My first retail job the store was pretty consistently staffed, so overtime basically didn't happen. 2nd one, they made sure it didn't happen. I know home office doesn't like to be shown conflicts in their logic, and it probably didn't come up often, but if my store had to pay an hour of overtime to at least 1 person (manager usually salaried, so they don't count) questions would be raised.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/6-8/51

Archie 12/2-4/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 11/22-24/51

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

JethroMcB posted:

Weird speech bubble error that I'm surprised Allison didn't fix there. Sean should be asking about the Jimmy Clitherhoe, not Grampa asking himself (even if he doesn't know what he's come up with.)

The Mod King Challenge is so good. Remember, the correct answer is "Taking A Leak" and not "The Whom are Garbage Music"

It actually does kinda work as written. Grampa just heard himself, and realized he has no idea where the hell he's going with this

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

How did that work with overtime and whatnot? My first retail job the store was pretty consistently staffed, so overtime basically didn't happen. 2nd one, they made sure it didn't happen. I know home office doesn't like to be shown conflicts in their logic, and it probably didn't come up often, but if my store had to pay an hour of overtime to at least 1 person (manager usually salaried, so they don't count) questions would be raised.

Honestly, I'm not sure any of us were given enough hours to get overtime. Maybe some of the long-timers, but as a summer seasonal worker, I was min-wagers at 35 hours a week tops. I never had enough hours to get OT.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A day late due to circumstances, but it's the Christmas number of A Sketchy Life! (December 1, 1927)

So many goodies this week that it feels like a dirty trick that these first two used their actually signatures as their signatures. You tell me who they are. I'm stumped.

Milt Gross:

Two from J Norman Lynd, two from Edward Monks:

A two pager from John Held Jr:

The Useful Mistletoe

Gluyas Williams in FULL COLOR:

Johnny Gruelle in colorful black and white:

Fred G Cooper illustrating a poem by Arthur L. Lippmann:

Lui Truyo:

And a bonus wall of :words: from Dorothy Parker:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

lol Dorothy Parker turned in self-indulgent garbage and got paid for it, that rules

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Okay, time to find out who's jumping out of the plane in Luann

Oh, dammit!! It's even worse than it not being Luann! They're trying to convince us Luann's a good writer again! No matter how bad you think it will be, Team Evans always comes up with something worse!

Gil Thorp

Home Free

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
What's going on with that airplane lmbo

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Might be of interest for any Goons in southern Rhode Island, from Will Henry's Instagram.

Will Henry posted:

Some upcoming events. If you're in the area and want a signed copy of any Wallace the Brave books, come on by. We can chat comics

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

lol Dorothy Parker turned in self-indulgent garbage and got paid for it, that rules

Contrast this with what fellow Algonquinite Robert Benchley did with the same assignment.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

readingatwork posted:

Hey guys I found this thing:

A Trip Through the Des Moines Register and Tribune With Peanuts (1957)
Neat!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Hey, look! It's a...fox I guess?

Mary Worth

Didn't expect Jughead.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"You disgust me. Get out of my office."

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

maybeadracula posted:

What's going on with that airplane lmbo

What do you mean, it's just a Cessna with the tail of a C-130, nothing unusual about that

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

:lol:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

What do you mean, it's just a Cessna with the tail of a C-130, nothing unusual about that

Ah, the Jerkules variant

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Contrast this with what fellow Algonquinite Robert Benchley did with the same assignment.

Amazing. :lmao: Thanks!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

You morons are letting Crankshaft mess with one of the ovens? Why would you let the old fart who constantly explodes his grills, and who also managed to make one blow up so badly that it went to space and altered a comet's trajectory to hit Earth in the future, get within 50 feet of your kitchen?

Hostile V posted:

I Don't Deserve This Treatment And You Clearly Hate Me Because I'm Hot And Sexy And Posting Kevin & Kell Which Has Decided To Do. This. Plot Idea. For Some Reason. It's February In The Comic Right Now. I Guess We'll Resume This Plot In A Few Days' Worth Of Comics. Anyway. What Have I Done To Deserve This.

Holbrook using what's supposed to be high school relationship drama tropes on a bunch of preschoolers feels gross given how he's probably going to pair these kids up when they get older.

Doomykins posted:

Crankshaft just rocketing past all sensible objections after all. The last strip was literally Funky laughing in Dopey Pete's face about the idea of having free time. His poor socially entrapped fiancee is all smiles now.

Mmm mmm, sunk cost fallacy.

What's pathetic is that Crankshaft the character's reason for being here was to voice objections about this risky business venture. So not only did he steal what was supposed to be Mindy's role (because St. Lisa forbid a woman ever do anything in this comic), he didn't even do his loving job.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

maybeadracula posted:

Ah, the Jerkules variant

Honestly it looks like a janky drawing using a Cessna 208 Caravan as a reference.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Strontium posted:

And thus we begin the arc where Ed-N-Son finally falls apart and Ted has to find a new job.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Strontium posted:

This is how riots start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
my mom is visiting from out of town, comics are gonna be late/on hold until thursday night