Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DTurtle posted:

He’s basically a serial liar to an unexpectedly drastic extent who somehow managed to be elected to the House of Representatives.

The Guardian has a nice list of some of his lies

The most astounding thing is that none of this was found out by Democrats before his election. He completely flew under the radar.

I mean...we're at the point where someone who blatantly lies about EVERYTHING was elected president...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Magnetic North posted:

Is his seat super safe or something? Do you do opposition research on super safe seats?
It leans Dem. The last election that seat went to a Republican was in 2010. It does almost make one wonder if the New York Dem apparatus is filled with sniveling, corrupt morons, or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York%27s_3rd_congressional_district

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Medullah posted:

I mean...we're at the point where someone who blatantly lies about EVERYTHING was elected president...

Nobody gets into politics because they're honest.
The trick is to either be really good at the lying, launder your corruption through enough loopholes and channels that it can't be definitively traced back to you, have enough friends/family/allies in power with you that nothing ever gets done about you, or kick enough bennies to your constituents that they don't mind you skimming a little off the top because they got their cut.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Magnetic North posted:

Is his seat super safe or something? Do you do opposition research on super safe seats?
i'm 100% sure it got brought up that he was lying about stuff and i'm 100% sure "fake news" was smugly screamed each time.
i mean who're you going to believe: the fake news media or the nice young republican?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

i'm 100% sure it got brought up that he was lying about stuff and i'm 100% sure "fake news" was smugly screamed each time.
i mean who're you going to believe: the fake news media or the nice young republican?
A single local newspaper brought it up, but the story wasn’t picked up by anybody.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

the_steve posted:

Nobody gets into politics because they're honest.
The trick is to either be really good at the lying, launder your corruption through enough loopholes and channels that it can't be definitively traced back to you, have enough friends/family/allies in power with you that nothing ever gets done about you, or kick enough bennies to your constituents that they don't mind you skimming a little off the top because they got their cut.
If a House seat fell into my lap I'd take it just because to me a Congressional salary is way more money than I know how to spend on myself. Work for two years, set for life, might as well piss off everyone by throwing leftist legislation at a wall as frequently as possible since who cares about getting reelected

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Islamic Shock posted:

If a House seat fell into my lap I'd take it just because to me a Congressional salary is way more money than I know how to spend on myself. Work for two years, set for life, might as well piss off everyone by throwing leftist legislation at a wall as frequently as possible since who cares about getting reelected

You're also not a career politician.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:tinfoil:
https://twitter.com/ChrisBjorn6/status/1725588838972796970?t=W6u8aJppHvlWG26qwnS91Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/ChrisBjorn6/status/1698328190383780019?t=EkqcqrqxW6Lfb70lONM5ZQ&s=19

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Islamic Shock posted:

You have to serve for at least 5 years to collect the pension, assuming that's what you mean by 'set for life'.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Ashcans posted:

You have to serve for at least 5 years to collect the pension, assuming that's what you mean by 'set for life'.
No I mean 300k is enough

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Do Americans call it the dole?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Firstscion posted:

Not super commonly, but I've heard it before.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Firstscion posted:

its antiquated. most of the time someone starts going on about the dole, they probably also have very strong opinions about roman history and also you shouldn't ask them what they think of BLM.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

its antiquated. most of the time someone starts going on about the dole, they probably also have very strong opinions about roman history and also you shouldn't ask them what they think of BLM.

In Chris' case, I think the fact that he lumps BLM, Palestinians, Antifa and MS-13 altogether as part of one group tells us everything we'd care to know.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Firstscion posted:

Not pensions, no. I've mostly heard it used as a derogatory thing for welfare. Pensions and social security are less stigmatized.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think the only time I've heard the "dole" in North America besides the fruit company is in labour ballads from the past century. Where it's treated as hard-won and well-deserved.

Then again, the people posting this poo poo probably think Franklin Roosevelt was the worst and most communistest president and not the best, so I don't think I'm coming at them from the same angle.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

quote:

Dear Targets, Kohl’s, Walmarts, ALDIs, Home Depot , Jewel & all other stores that have self checkout.
You are heading towards almost exclusively self-checkout now.
The lady checking receipts at the exit was stopping everyone.
I didn't choose to participate in that nonsense, I had already
🛒filled my cart
🛒emptied my cart
🛒scanned the items
🛒refilled my cart
and so I just skipped the exit line and left.
I heard her saying "umm - Excuse me “ as I kept walking and raised the receipt above my head, leaving the store.
You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be.
• I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you.
• If you want me to be a cashier with no training then that's your problem not mine.
• Keep employing young people and give them job opportunities.
YOU DON'T PAY ME TO SCAN MY OWN SHOPPING.
YOU DON’T GIVE ME STAFF DISCOUNT FOR WORKING FOR YOU.
Signed ......All of us
These are jobs that are needed to have for young and old …..
Copied and pasted, because I agree 100%.
SPREAD IT AROUND

Man, some people in my town facebook group haaaaate self checkout.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CuddleCryptid posted:

At some point I'll have to just give up the facade and admit that I have no idea who George Santos is other than a republican that did all the normal republican corruption stuff really loudly, in a funny way.
This isn't helping me not confuse him with George Costanza.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
That guy is right tho u can just walk out. Those yellow vests cant stop you. When I was poorer i used to just steal whole carts of stuff and when the LP guys tried to flag me id just ignore them. They dont get paid enough to follow me to the lot and we both knew.

This was b4 they posted cops outside 24/7. Wonder why that happened.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Medullah posted:

worst person you know

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Medullah posted:

Guy's never shopped at a Costco

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

costco can do it because you agree to it when you sign the membership agreement

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Their dream is this shopping experience:

The Customer walks into a store and are confronted by several humans coming up to them, asking if The Customer needs help.

The Customer engages the services of one of these humans who then walks around with The Customer; helping them find things and take items off the shelf, while having an in depth conversation with The Customer about The Customer's life.

After this The Customer takes these items to the checkout where another human scans all the items for them, while having an in depth conversation with The Customer about The Customer's life.

While the items are being scanned, another human puts them in bags. Specifically, single-use bags provided by the store.

Once the items are scanned and The Customer has paid for everything and received a heartfelt thank-you from the cashier for their business, the human who bagged The Customer's items puts them into their cart, pushes The Customer's cart to their large SUV, and unloads those bags into the SUV for them, all while having an in depth conversation with The Customer about The Customer's life.

Afterwards this human smiles widely and gives The Customer a heartfelt thank-you for their business, then returns to the store, where they presumably live.

The Customer starts up their vast, boatlike SUV, and navigates it to the exit of the parking lot, bathed in the warm sunlight of God thanking them for their business.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Carts? Have we forgotten the simple joy of having everything behind the counter where the storekeeper and his assistants know where things are and can ring them up for you?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I have never seen a self checkout at ALDI. Am I out of the loop or are they just confused by their hatred of employees sitting down?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Customer walks into a store and are confronted by several humans coming up to them, asking if The Customer needs help.

The Customer engages the services of one of these humans who then walks around with The Customer; helping them find things and take items off the shelf, while having an in depth conversation with The Customer about The Customer's life.

After this The Customer takes these items to the checkout where another human scans all the items for them, while having an in depth conversation with The Customer about The Customer's life.

While the items are being scanned, another human puts them in bags. Specifically, single-use bags provided by the store.

Once the items are scanned and The Customer has paid for everything and received a heartfelt thank-you from the cashier for their business, the human who bagged The Customer's items puts them into their cart, pushes The Customer's cart to their large SUV, and unloads those bags into the SUV for them, all while having an in depth conversation with The Customer about The Customer's life.

Afterwards this human smiles widely and gives The Customer a heartfelt thank-you for their business, then returns to the store, where they presumably live.

The Customer starts up their vast, boatlike SUV, and navigates it to the exit of the parking lot, bathed in the warm sunlight of God thanking them for their business.

You don't need to be a brain-wormed boomer to realize that the current state of retail is not great. Like they're wrong about the why and how but they are correct that the status quo does suck. Companies continue to slash labor to the bone year after year and make things miserable for both their employees and their customers.

There are a lot of mid 50s fat white guys with weird ideas about "customer service" but actual customer service does loving suck almost everywhere.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
wonder how the author of that forward feels about retail staff unions

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Back when we were a real nation there would be a guy whose job it was to go to your house and drop off milk on the front porch for you to enjoy with dinner, fresh from the store every day. Unfortunately the profession died out due to constant sexual harassment.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Unfortunately the profession died out due to constant sexual harassment.

Look that cow was asking for it dressed like that

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Scholtz posted:

I have never seen a self checkout at ALDI. Am I out of the loop or are they just confused by their hatred of employees sitting down?

My local Aldi has more self check lanes than staffed ones (6 to 4)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

December: live ‘mas!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Followers of Christ: Known for staying silent when something offends or bothers them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You're supposed to post the content not be the content.

Just because people don't want to be treated like a criminal because businesses are too cheap to hire enough staff to ring up their purchases properly doesn't mean they're some wanna-be aristocrat demanding slaves to carry them around the store in a sedan-chair.

Not wanting to stand in yet another line for someone to ensure you're not stealing after you just waited in line and took the time to ring up your stuff is a pretty reasonable complaint

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Carts? Have we forgotten the simple joy of having everything behind the counter where the storekeeper and his assistants know where things are and can ring them up for you?

You joke but this is kinda coming back with curbside pickup.

The shop's inventory already exists so they just make it available online, you go to their website and create a list of everything that you need, enter in your credit card info, an employee who already knows exactly where everything is takes a big cart around that can hold several people's groceries at once and collects them simultaneously, then you show up to the store and collect your groceries at a scheduled time.

Vastly more efficient for everyone, not exactly sure why I'm supposed to hate it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's about 20 different events through the year that are something to do with Jesus directly, and you can observe as many or as few as you wish.

You might have to chant in Latin or Greek and wave a censer around rather than getting irate at retail clerks for saying happy holidays though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The grocery store I go to has someone on the door to check receipts of anyone who walks by that looks like they didn't buy what they have in their hand. Except the proof is that you have a plastic bag for your stuff. Incidentally they have also just installed self check outs that are basically stand up kiosks that you can only check out a small number of small things on. So if you don't want to get harassed and made to stand around while they paw through your purchases then you need to take the single bagged loaf of bread that you have and put it in a new plastic bag, which grants you passage.

Alternatively just bring one of their plastic bags with you to the store and shoplift.

By and by these new kiosks are right in front of the door guard. They look at you while you check out. But no bag means no passage.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Guavanaut posted:

There's about 20 different events through the year that are something to do with Jesus directly, and you can observe as many or as few as you wish.

You might have to chant in Latin or Greek and wave a censer around rather than getting irate at retail clerks for saying happy holidays though.

Imagine that: people having the freedom to celebrate or not celebrate religious events as they wish. Communism! Anarchy!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

You joke but this is kinda coming back with curbside pickup.

The shop's inventory already exists so they just make it available online, you go to their website and create a list of everything that you need, enter in your credit card info, an employee who already knows exactly where everything is takes a big cart around that can hold several people's groceries at once and collects them simultaneously, then you show up to the store and collect your groceries at a scheduled time.

Vastly more efficient for everyone, not exactly sure why I'm supposed to hate it.

One thing that can gently caress that up is that you have to rely on the store having an accurate inventory. When I worked at a big retail pet store, in store pickup could be a real nightmare because I was working in a store with high shrink and working conditions that made it nearly impossible to keep even a weekly inventory up to date. At our store, ISP was a nightmare of extra work for floor staff who were given a bunch of extra poo poo to do on top of all the other stuff they already didn't have time to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
wow i just this moment made the realization that supermarkets are the way they are because some general store bozos didn't wanna hire more staff and passed the labor onto the consumer