Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Oh hey this is by the guy on YouTube that paints outside and gives little gouache lessons. He's very adorable.

I love looking at channels like these for inane stats.

500k subs.
328 videos.
Most recent video was a few weeks ago.
Oldest video was 14 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Oh hey this is by the guy on YouTube that paints outside and gives little gouache lessons. He's very adorable.

Well, that's my day gone. He's such an adorable weirdo, and probably has more painting knowledge in his pinky than I do in my entire brain.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So one month ago, I painted my first ever 40k mini:

Thankfully I went in with some knowledge of what to do, and I'm still proud of it. I haven't touched him since then, not even to paint the squad markings on him.

Fast forward to yesterday, finished my first World Eater:

Gotta go back and highlight but! I think I'm making good progress on this.

E: both side by side:

iospace fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 4, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Agreed. Chaos is tough, too!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Does anyone have a recomendation for a website to try different color schemes? The Martian tripods I got from the Kickatarter for All Quiet on the Martain Front: Second Edition have a canon color scheme I do not care for whatsoever ( white with green accents for the tech ) and I want to try some other designs.

Right now I only have the thought that I want the tech electric blue for blue/UV spectrum "heat rays" and no idea what to paint the vast majority of the tripod.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Didn't shake my Carroburg Crimson and ruined a model... again..

paperface
Apr 20, 2005

My name's paperface, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Twincityhacker posted:

Does anyone have a recomendation for a website to try different color schemes? The Martian tripods I got from the Kickatarter for All Quiet on the Martain Front: Second Edition have a canon color scheme I do not care for whatsoever ( white with green accents for the tech ) and I want to try some other designs.

Right now I only have the thought that I want the tech electric blue for blue/UV spectrum "heat rays" and no idea what to paint the vast majority of the tripod.

http://www.paletton.com is a pretty decent widget for generating colour palettes with accent colours based on your main colour, or figuring out a main colour to go with an accent colour you have in mind

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

paperface posted:

http://www.paletton.com is a pretty decent widget for generating colour palettes with accent colours based on your main colour, or figuring out a main colour to go with an accent colour you have in mind

Thanks! I'm playing around with it now.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Is it me or is the vallejo grey primer more of a not-white primer?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

Is it me or is the vallejo grey primer more of a not-white primer?

Technically every primer but white primer is not-white primer.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

What are some really good go-to airbrush primers?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

w00tmonger posted:

I prefer Vallejo mecha black primer, but I have had success with ProAcryl PRIME 002 black.

I have tried Stynylrez, however it clogs up my airbrush almost instantly, even when thinned.

I do thin down my primers just a tiny bit using either water or airbrush thinner.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

w00tmonger posted:

I love Vallejo Surface Primer (which I thin 2:1 thinner:primer at 18psi) and ProAcryl (usually thin 1:1) as well.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Anybody got any recommendations on display cases? I was gonna put something in my den as much for ease of storage as display.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Anybody got any recommendations on display cases? I was gonna put something in my den as much for ease of storage as display.

I just got the display cases that Andy from Andys Hobby HQ designed. They are really nice. They have little indents on them so that they can nest on top of eachother and they open in the front, not the top, so if you do nest them you can still get your models out. They are big enough to display 1/35th vehicles. They are a little tall so if you want to have infantry in there you could double the number with a small shelf. They are 15 dollars each or less if you buy them in bundles.

https://andyshhq.com/products/andys-hobby-headquarters-ahhq-hn3-acrylic-display-box

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Still working on my Ork combat patrol. I almost like the primed look good enough to leave it alone.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

IKEA is the usual answer. IIRC the old standby Detolf is OOP. I don't have one for space reasons but I got one of the Baggebo units. You'll need to cover up the perforated panels on the sides to prevent dust getting in but the panels also let you put screws in to support extra shelves - it comes with 2 glass shelves and I added another 3 acrylic ones. It's very compact.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Bo-Pepper posted:

Still working on my Ork combat patrol. I almost like the primed look good enough to leave it alone.

Models look so good in black and white gradient highlights, until you start ruining it by putting more paint on top.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm very stupid and having one of those moments where I am thinking about all of my life choices that led up to this moment; trying to squirt paint out of a bottle onto my paint pallet, and it blew up, the inner cap blew off and paint sprayed everywhere onto my pallet and t-shirt. I squeezed too hard because paint on the inside dried out inside, creating a blockage. :cripes:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That is something I think everyone has probably done.

After, we invest in some sewing needles or safety pins or toothpicks or an old pin vice with a perfectly sized drill bit and do a visual check / dropper bottle tip cleaning before going for paint.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I said come in! posted:

I'm very stupid and having one of those moments where I am thinking about all of my life choices that led up to this moment; trying to squirt paint out of a bottle onto my paint pallet, and it blew up, the inner cap blew off and paint sprayed everywhere onto my pallet and t-shirt. I squeezed too hard because paint on the inside dried out inside, creating a blockage. :cripes:

Hey I did this a couple weeks ago despite knowing that Scale75 paints have a blocked top on purpose so they don't dry out in the aisles, don't feel bad!!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Putting green on the boyz. That’s it for today I think.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I do prefer the lighter shade of green that citadel goes with for orks.

The army painter orc skin is a bit too intense for me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Been there, done that. My condolences.

While on this topic, I'm sure this is one of the reasons why GW will never make the switch over to dropper bottles and will stick to paint pots until the heat death of the universe. It's one of those negatives that weighs heavily enough on their ease of use scale that it prevents them from just making the switch. They just don't want to have to get 15 y/o's splattering their kitchen tables with paint because of dried dropper nozzles. They also probably don't want to source out the agitators or the bottles or come up with an official GW Nozzle Pin, even.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

That is something I think everyone has probably done.
hell i did it with a tube of super glue. now that was a major pita to clean up

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AndyElusive posted:

While on this topic, I'm sure this is one of the reasons why GW will never make the switch over to dropper bottles and will stick to paint pots until the heat death of the universe. It's one of those negatives that weighs heavily enough on their ease of use scale that it prevents them from just making the switch. They just don't want to have to get 15 y/o's splattering their kitchen tables with paint because of dried dropper nozzles. They also probably don't want to source out the agitators or the bottles or come up with an official GW Nozzle Pin, even.

https://twitter.com/JewelKnightJess/status/1730852927579849031

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

AndyElusive posted:

gw bottles splatter paint on tables in different way

use teeth

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah I get that. The army painter stuff is just so easy breezy to work with for a lot of the shades though. I intend to do a light brush on them down the line to soften them ups bit.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
How do you paint black mechs? I've been trying a black primer, then drybrushing a dark grey and then highlighting with a lighter grey. Looks like rear end IMO compared to my other schemes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The traditional way to do it is prime black, do a dark blue edge highlight on the corners, a light blue edge highlight again on the edges and then a tiny bit of white on the tips of corners.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Then as soon as I do I inevitably make a mess all over myself and ruin my evening

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Saint Celestine posted:

How do you paint black mechs? I've been trying a black primer, then drybrushing a dark grey and then highlighting with a lighter grey. Looks like rear end IMO compared to my other schemes.

paint them with a dark charcoal like VMC black-grey and shade/highlight from there instead, it reads to the eye as black but with actual depth

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Lostconfused posted:

same, i like loren forest green for ork skin

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Axetrain posted:

Ikea Milsbo are the new hotness. They're large fairly sturdy and look very nice. They're super popular with collectors and with indoor gardeners so they're often out of stock.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Someone give me a different color for this great coat that isn't the ugliest shade of beige that games-workshop picked for Cadian's. The raised areas and curves make for an excellent surface to drybrush and make it look like leather, but it just doesn't fit the aesthetic imo.

the secondary color for cuffs would be nice but unnecessary because I'm just probably going to do it monotone since it's easier.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Ikea Milsbo are the new hotness. They're large fairly sturdy and look very nice. They're super popular with collectors and with indoor gardeners so they're often out of stock.

This looks like what I want, thanks for the suggestions.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Saint Celestine posted:

Mine are base black, zenithal with Incubi Darkness and Incubi Darkness and a tiny bit of white. Drybrush a light off white then a black + brown oil filter. I did not manually re-add highlights because I'm lazy but that's certainly a next step.

It's not a very deep black but it reads as such without obliterating all detail.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lostconfused posted:

Someone give me a different color for this great coat that isn't the ugliest shade of beige that games-workshop picked for Cadian's. The raised areas and curves make for an excellent surface to drybrush and make it look like leather, but it just doesn't fit the aesthetic imo.

the secondary color for cuffs would be nice but unnecessary because I'm just probably going to do it monotone since it's easier.

Grey is like the classic original greatcoat

Leather also works as a great coat alternative (only mentioning because traditional wool, etc.) with armor but you're going to deal with a weird west/Mad Max kind of retrofuturistic vibe which might be why it's offputting to you

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

That sounds like what I'd do, honestly, what does it look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Another option if you want to make it leather but not like an Old West duster is to mimic a 17th Century buff coat. Leather but more, well, buff colored.

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_15.113.1-5,29.158.885.jpg

I don't know if posting images from other sites is still frowned on, so you get a link instead.