Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

https://twitter.com/AJArabic/status/1731195838926303435https://twitter.com/AJArabic/status/1731211934031106188

No video evidence, as far as I'm aware, but they're pushing this story pretty hard; it's shown up at a couple of MEastern news orgs so far. It's a significant leap from what Hamas usually claims to have hit (in fact I think they usually just say things along the lines of "we dispatched a group of soldiers in this building" when referring to actual IDF casualties).

60 would absolutely be on the high side, but I also imagine that the ceasefire has been more advantageous for Hamas intelligence than the other way around: I can't imagine the average IDF soldier has much experience discretely sitting in the middle of a city full of people who can actually harm you, and the ceasefire meant they couldn't go tunnel exploring beyond noting entrances. One side's' had nearly twenty years to develop doctrine around avoiding sniper fire and bombing runs, the other is raising a giant steel menorah atop the roof of multi-level public utilities.

They also seem to be getting more aggressive in general if their announcements are anything to go by; perhaps they want to send a message that North Gaza is not neutralized, both for demoralization purposes & to drag resources away from sieging South Gaza.
I definitely can't find any evidence of this beyond articles reporting what Hamas said. It would be big news, since it would almost double the number of casualties the IDF has taken in this conflict so far. In reality they have announced 5 deaths over the weekend.

I fully expect both sides of any conflict to exaggerate the amount of casualties they inflict to the other side, but Hamas' lies do seem particularly desperate. Like the "200 IDF vehicles destroyed per day" claim they seem to have made on multiple occasions is so obviously false it's borderline laughable. I suppose they have to do something to motivate their troops when they're losing this badly - as long as IDF casualties remain an order of magnitude below the attack that started this conflict (and which Hamas has promised to repeat) I cannot imagine Israel being discouraged at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://x.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1731654275313340846?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Look we have no idea what could have been inside that building they meticulously rigged with explosives and set up a camera on a tripod in front of.

This is war, it's complicated and I dont feel qualified to condemn it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This fits with my theory I’ve had for weeks now, which is that they are not actually going to allow Palestinians to go back to the cities in Gaza and that this is an annexation.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

FlamingLiberal posted:

This fits with my theory I’ve had for weeks now, which is that they are not actually going to allow Palestinians to go back to the cities in Gaza and that this is an annexation.

Good luck, they still don't even control the cities. At best they can make life difficult by splitting Gaza in two.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

I know murder is wrong but have you considered murders have a motive.

Yes, knowing why people murder is one of the first real steps towards figuring out a way to stop it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Yes, knowing why people murder is one of the first real steps towards figuring out a way to stop it.

Sure but "why don't we take some time to understand the motive of the mass murders" as they are in the middle of commiting mass murder is a very common tactic of murder apologists. Even if you're doing it in good faith, it's playing into the hands of the people who aren't.

As a point of comparison, nobody ever entertains "sure, the Nazis were evil but what about their legitimate concerns?"' People would probably start throwing rotten fruit at you.

If the goal is to stop an ongoing genocide, the best option is to point the cameras at the genocide and say "this is inexcusable." Appending that with excuses just muddies the waters.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

KillHour posted:

If the goal is to stop an ongoing genocide, the best option is to point the cameras at the genocide and say "this is inexcusable." Appending that with excuses just muddies the waters.

Nobody's going to stop genocide by posting in D&D. I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss the underlying causes of it. This doesn't mean you're defending Israel.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

KillHour posted:

Sure but "why don't we take some time to understand the motive of the mass murders" as they are in the middle of commiting mass murder is a very common tactic of murder apologists. Even if you're doing it in good faith, it's playing into the hands of the people who aren't.

As a point of comparison, nobody ever entertains "sure, the Nazis were evil but what about their legitimate concerns?"' People would probably start throwing rotten fruit at you.

Seems very odd to not want to know or want others to know the motives of your enemies.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

KillHour posted:

The Nazis didn't have legitimate concerns to entertain, but people often do talk about the Treaty of Versailles and the Great Depression as legitimate issues that led to the rise of Nazism.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

socialsecurity posted:

Seems very odd to not want to know or want others to know the motives of your enemies.

Yes, for the record, explaining the process of an unjust system can be seen as tacit support for that injustice.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

KillHour posted:

Countless of academic books have been written by scholars trying to understand the motives and reasons of why people supported Nazis and how they were able to gain power in Germany.

Now I don't think those scholar thought that there were many concerns nazis had that they think of as "legitimate", but then again I don't think people ITT have been claiming that Israel is legitimate in their horrible actions either.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yes, for the record, explaining the process of an unjust system can be seen as tacit support for that injustice.

"Can be seen as" is worthless. Anything can be seen as anything else by a sufficiently delusional or cynical person.

If you see it that way, then you can say so, and we can have a discussion. I would disagree with you strongly - explaining evil is not condoning it. Holocaust scholars aren't expressing "tacit support" for the Holocaust by "explaining the process of an unjust system."

If you think someone else in this discussion sees it that way, you should say who, and then you should say something interesting about it.

If you're just saying "someone, somewhere, could imaginably see the world in this way" - that's pointless.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, the main point is to make Palestinians want to leave by "choice." The U.S. will just see that people are leaving into Egypt willingly and say that this is good enough, and completely ignore any of the context that led to that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, the main point is to make Palestinians want to leave by "choice." The U.S. will just see that people are leaving into Egypt willingly and say that this is good enough, and completely ignore any of the context that led to that.

I don't think this is true because Egypt would be profoundly outraged at being made the target of 1-2 million refugees. The US is not insufficiently amoral to permit the forced movement of Palestinians, but it does have a mutually beneficial relationship with Egypt that would go to hell in the scenario you describe.

And so would America's relationship with other majority-Muslim states which face enormous demand from their constituents to stand up for Palestine.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 4, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

No it can't. The idea that you have to be willfully ignorant and refuse to try to understand things or you are supporting them is an absurdly absurd statement and basically just exists so you can shut down conversations with "are you support the BAD GUYS?"

Like do you think someone who studies atrocities inherently supports them because they can explain root causes and why these things might have have happened and how to possibly prevent them in the future or to understand the motivations that lead to them?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't think this is true because Egypt would be profoundly outraged at being made the target of 1-2 million refugees. The US is not insufficiently amoral to permit the forced movement of Palestinians, but it does have a mutually beneficial relationship with Egypt that would go to hell in the scenario you describe.

And so would America's relationship with other majority-Muslim states which face enormous demand from their constituents to stand up for Palestine.

The Unites States won't do a thing except issue ever more toothless statements of 'concern' as the Gaza strip is emptied of its people, and as for the surrounding Arab states? Those are ruled by regimes which are all thoroughly disconnected from their populations and preoccupied only with their own survival and self-enrichment. Nothing substantial will happen in response to a second Nakba, it's all going to be hot air again until the process is complete and the Western World can finally wipe the sweat off its brow and awkwardly move its attention elsewhere.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
It's not just that Egypt "don't want refugees." They can actually think two steps ahead.

Okay, suppose all of Gaza is emptied into Sinai. Now Hamas is operating from Sinai, launching rockets at Israel from Sinai.

What does the IDF do next? We all know what they do next, they start bombing Egypt.

Egypt doesn't want a war with Israel. If they did, they'd have joined in by now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

It's not just that Egypt "don't want refugees." They can actually think two steps ahead.

Okay, suppose all of Gaza is emptied into Sinai. Now Hamas is operating from Sinai, launching rockets at Israel from Sinai.

What does the IDF do next? We all know what they do next, they start bombing Egypt.

Egypt doesn't want a war with Israel. If they did, they'd have joined in by now.

Everyone saw what happened with Lebanon. Pushing Palestinians into the Sinai is soon followed by Israeli soldiers in the Sinai to keep them from attacking Israel.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Also, you know, the whole "it would be genocide/ethnic cleansing" thing.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Sephyr posted:

Huh. Teaches me not to post things without having the source handy. Might have been Dawkins' books, or a false bungled remebrance. Thanks for checking!

I don't know about anything specific from Maimonedes on that but, like most religions, Judaism has a lot of ancient exegesis that is accepted at varying degrees, often conflicting. So if you scratch the Talmud you'll see some *extremely* awful stuff. If you go into Deuteronomy etc, lots of pretty awful stuff too. So while I don't know about any (Judaic) jurisprudential ruling about stones etc, there's plenty of stuff about dealing with Jews and non-Jews that's horrific. But also plenty of stuff since than that explicitly contradicts it. If you're looking into the Talmud for example, I'd be more concerned about the stuff about minors, rapes and general harm. There are extremist threads that use this stuff as a springboard (see Torat Hamalekh, which could feasibly be a source of what you're talking about FYI). It's typically been a fringe set, on the Kahanist side of religious thought though there have been some very worrying thoughts over the years on genocide, rape etc from senior Israeli Rabbis.

tl;dr - there's some awful stuff in ancient Jewish exegesis that isn't atypical for general exegesis and most of the awful stuff today is fringe.

Jimbozig posted:

There's more to this. Let's imagine that ethnic cleansing is OK for a minute. The Sinai isn't well developed at all (for obvious reasons). 2.3 million Gazans would instantly quintuple the Sinai population. That means a desperate race for infrastructure in inhospitable land. That means millions of angry, traumatised people who probably won't be well-served for decades, huddled together with lack of sanitation, healthcare, education etc. Also likely oppressed because Eygpt's regime is oppressive in any case and because of all the risk factors. So not just an issue with launching attacks with Israel. What if Palestinians figure Sinai is now 80% Palestinian and they should self-govern there if they're simply going to be repressed? What happens when the immediate aid gains in capital are then turned into income drains?

It makes absolutely 0 sense for Egypt from any angle and all it offers is vast risk all to mitigate Israel's responsibility. It's stupid playing-with-maps Sykes-Picot bullcrap.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 4, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Well, I feel like I may be veering into chud territory just by saying this, but Moses Maimonades and otherTorah scholar/philosophers very clearly wrote that if you throat a rock into a crowd aiming to kill a gentile and kill a fellow jew instead, you didn't really err because you wanted to kill the outsider.

Not saying every jew/israeli believes that, but I can see some reaching for that rationale to excuse this, and the local institutions being what they are, I would not be surprised.

Switch the groups around and this wouldn't be out of place in a Fwd:fwd:fwd email chain about Muslims and taqiyya or some other cherry picked bullshit secret thing that Muslims totally believe but just don't tell you.

It's anti-Semitic, and as supremely hosed up as the ongoing genocide in Palestine is, I don't think we (this thread, this forum, this site) should go there.

But maybe anti-Semitism is not against the calm Hitler policy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Would Israel ever allow a non-jewish majority in the country, or perhaps a non-jewish majority in its knesset, even if through democracy it were elected into power? Do roads where that possibility - a possibility where non-jews can become a racial/political majority - even exist in Israel?

There's no direct ban on that happening, but Israeli law defines Israel as a Jewish and democratic state, and numerous Jewish-Israeli politicians have been quite clear that they prioritize "Jewish" over "democratic".

That's one of the key issues in Israeli dealings with the Palestinians, in fact. Right of return, one-state solution, or citizenship offers to Palestinians are all non-starters precisely because they might increase the amount of non-Jewish voters enough to allow them to exert actual political power. Plenty of Israeli politicians have openly admitted that, and insisting that a large Jewish majority must be preserved in order to protect Jewish-dominated democracy.

Gniwu posted:

The Unites States won't do a thing except issue ever more toothless statements of 'concern' as the Gaza strip is emptied of its people, and as for the surrounding Arab states? Those are ruled by regimes which are all thoroughly disconnected from their populations and preoccupied only with their own survival and self-enrichment. Nothing substantial will happen in response to a second Nakba, it's all going to be hot air again until the process is complete and the Western World can finally wipe the sweat off its brow and awkwardly move its attention elsewhere.

The reason the Arab states don't want refugees isn't just out of concern for the Palestinian people and principled opposition to ethnic cleansing. Whether you think they're being honest about those feelings or not, they also just Don't Want A Couple Million More Broke Refugees, no matter what ethnicity they are or where they came from or what their life story is. Tends to get in the way of survival and self-enrichment.

Israel's neighbors are already playing host to a few million Palestinian refugees, after all. They aren't going to stand by and just watch idly as another couple million stream across the borders. That's especially true for Egypt. After all, Israel pressured them to fortify the border to prevent Palestinians from crossing freely in the first place, and that's going to make it very difficult for Palestinians to cross without the explicit permission of the Egyptian government - a government that's strongly anti-Islamist and likely to be particularly un-eager to allow potential Hamas supporters in.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023

Sephyr posted:

Huh. Teaches me not to post things without having the source handy. Might have been Dawkins' books, or a false bungled remebrance. Thanks for checking!

It seems like the discussion you’re recalling might be a reference to Makkot 7b from the Talmud, which discusses the importance of context when deciding upon matters of capital punishment. I don’t believe it necessarily confers a right to kill gentiles so much as it sets a minimum standard of intent when assigning a punishment that is specifically prescribed for the killing of fellow jews.

quote:

the reference is to exclude the one who acted with the intent to kill an animal and he killed a person inadvertently, or one who acted with the intent to kill a gentile and he killed a Jew, or one who acted with the intent to kill a non-viable newborn and he killed a viable newborn.

As for the above comment on hateful tropes, this (excised) section is apparently a mainstay of anti-semetic literature, including a Nazi childrens book, Der Giftpilz, written by the founder of Der Stürmer.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

The reason the Arab states don't want refugees isn't just out of concern for the Palestinian people and principled opposition to ethnic cleansing. Whether you think they're being honest about those feelings or not, they also just Don't Want A Couple Million More Broke Refugees, no matter what ethnicity they are or where they came from or what their life story is. Tends to get in the way of survival and self-enrichment.

Israel's neighbors are already playing host to a few million Palestinian refugees, after all. They aren't going to stand by and just watch idly as another couple million stream across the borders. That's especially true for Egypt. After all, Israel pressured them to fortify the border to prevent Palestinians from crossing freely in the first place, and that's going to make it very difficult for Palestinians to cross without the explicit permission of the Egyptian government - a government that's strongly anti-Islamist and likely to be particularly un-eager to allow potential Hamas supporters in.

They absolutely don't want to take in the population of Gaza as refugees, but the alternative to that is forcefully standing up to the Israeli troops driving them over the border, with all the consequences that would entail. It's not going to happen, they're just going to make a lot of noise for internal consumption, as they have always done. Military resistance against the Israeli project by Arab state actors died with the Camp David Accords, and the balance of power has only shifted further away from their favor since then.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That's what Israel assumes will be the case, but I can see the bordering states observing that Israel is getting pelted by three armies, suffering immense economic damage, and is preoccupied with guarding their northern border & struggling to find Hamas targets in Gaza, and figure that this would be the worst time for Israel to invest resources into invading a conventional army to open up room for ethnic cleansing.

Oct 7, their unimpressive incursion into Gaza, their massive intelligence failures (both in Oct 7 and genuinely believing Hamas was under Al-Shifa), taking material losses in the north, and burning through obscene amounts of bombs rage-bombing Gaza, the IDF's esteem has taken a hit. Not enough for any single bordering army to go "we can take 'em", but perhaps enough that they aren't as intimidated when Israel is fighting a multi-front war. Especially if public consensus pressures against capitulation.

There's also the political element; Egypt is a US aligned state. It's one thing for the US to supply Israel with bombs to slaughter Palestinians, but it would be a massive hit to US credibility to help them cannibalize Egypt for the sin of "They're not taking on added burden to help us cleanse the land of the unworthy." And it would compound with the hits America has already taken by betraying the Kurds, going back on almost every word of rhetoric used against Russia and unilaterally endorsing the slaughter. Regard towards America is dirt-low among Arab citizens, if we also make it clear that we'll feed our allies to our rabid dog, you're going to see a lot less behind-closed-doors cooperation. Which is an issue when China has been making significant moves in the region.

Biden clearly is all in favor of genociding Palestine, but even he would likely turn off the spigot if Israel starts assaulting Egypt.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gniwu posted:

They absolutely don't want to take in the population of Gaza as refugees, but the alternative to that is forcefully standing up to the Israeli troops driving them over the border, with all the consequences that would entail. It's not going to happen, they're just going to make a lot of noise for internal consumption, as they have always done. Military resistance against the Israeli project by Arab state actors died with the Camp David Accords, and the balance of power has only shifted further away from their favor since then.

Why would they have to stand up to the Israeli troops? The Egypt-Gaza border is heavily fortified, with multiple border walls - which were built at Israel's request for the specific purpose of preventing Palestinians from crossing the border. This means that Gazans can't just stroll across the border into Egypt, no matter how scared they are of Israeli bombardments.

The only way a million unarmed refugees are getting into Egypt without Egypt's permission is if Israel directly assaults Egyptian territory itself with aerial bombardments, heavy artillery, armored bulldozers, or demolitions teams. And even then, they'd have to continue to assault Egypt to prevent Egypt from closing the breaches in the walls. That is, to be frank, exceedingly unlikely.

Israel just isn't in that much of a hurry. They don't care all that much about ethnically cleansing Gaza. Compared to the West Bank, aka Judea and Samaria, aka the land that Religious Zionist settlers feel has been promised to them by God, Gaza is nothing more than an unimportant buffer state. The unilateral withdrawal from Gaza wasn't just out of fear of Hamas - it was a decision to focus their energies on the places they really wanted to settle and eventually annex, while cutting their losses on the territory they didn't really care about all that much.

Why the current state of affairs, then? It's worth noting at this point that one of the few anti-insurgency methods that has ever been successful is the active displacement of the civilian population and the destruction of their homes and possessions, depriving the insurgency of critical support and supplies while allowing the anti-insurgency force to freely assault civilian areas at full force without fear of diplomatically-inconvenient massacres. In some cases, anti-insurgency forces would go so far as to "concentrate" civilians into special "camps", then devastate the now-unpopulated countryside in a scorched-earth campaign to destroy any farms, livestock, or stored supplies that the insurgents might be able to rely on. These policies typically resulted in massive death rates among the civilians and then abandoned the survivors to poverty and destitution after the insurgency was defeated.

But even with all the death and misery caused to civilians, these historical policies typically weren't genocidal. Absolutely callous and brutal, to be sure, and typically racist as well, but without any actual intent to ethnically cleanse. Despite their total lack of concern for civilian lives or property, their goal was solely military. Once organized resistance had broken down, the civilians were typically set free to go pick up the smoldering pieces of their destroyed livelihoods and return to normal lives under the yoke of their new overlord.

Though, we shouldn't forget that although the earliest concentration camps weren't meant for genocide, it didn't take very long for the model to be adapted for genocides. Although not all bloody atrocities leading to mass civilian death are ethnic cleansing, it can't be forgotten that tactics which already kill a lot of people through simple carelessness and callousness don't need much tweaking to become effective tools of ethnic cleansing.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I haven’t been following this thread too closely, so I apologize if it’s already been posted. But based on a quick search, it appears this statement by UN Women hasn’t been posted and seems very damning of the Hamas attack: https://www.unwomen.org/en/news-stories/statement/2023/12/un-women-statement-on-the-situation-in-israel-and-gaza

It’s a short statement, so I’m not going to summarize it. But it definitely lends credibility to all the claims of mass sexual violence committed by Hamas on Oct 7th

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Kalit posted:

I haven’t been following this thread too closely, so I apologize if it’s already been posted. But based on a quick search, it appears this statement by UN Women hasn’t been posted and seems very damning of the Hamas attack: https://www.unwomen.org/en/news-stories/statement/2023/12/un-women-statement-on-the-situation-in-israel-and-gaza

It’s a short statement, so I’m not going to summarize it. But it definitely lends credibility to all the claims of mass sexual violence committed by Hamas on Oct 7th

It's 'lends so much credibility' to those alleged crimes that Israel has condemned the investigation and called UN Women biased in favour of Hamas.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/un-commission-investigate-hamas-sexual-violence-appeal-evidence-2023-11-29/

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 5, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's 'lends so much credibility' to those alleged crimes that Israel has condemned the investigation and called UN Women biased in favour of Hamas.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/un-commission-investigate-hamas-sexual-violence-appeal-evidence-2023-11-29/

I'll believe UN when it condemns Israel over slaughtering Palestinian civilians and UN Women when they condemn Hamas over their sexual violence against Israeli civilians. No need to make this a "one side or the other" scenario.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You can't loving argue that 7th of October still would have happened if Israel weren't a genocidal settler colony intent on destroying the Palestinian and stealing their lands. It's a direct indictment of the idea Israel is a safe haven for Jews. The other largest loss of Jewish life since the holocaust was during the Argentine dirty war where 2-3000 Jewish people were killed. Their killers were armed and supported by Israel.

I'm not sure what the hypothetical is here? If Israel didn't exist it wouldn't be attacked, true. Hamas and a good chuck of Palestinians are looking for a "no-more" Israel, not merely a "less genocidal and harmful" Israel.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hey look at this massive pile of human poo poo masquerading as a feminist.

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1731850373281792075

Hard to get testimony from the dead and those still not released from Hamas custody but ok.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
what's the main issue with briahna joy gray's post? something about victims of sexual violence being silenced by the israeli govt or what? batya ungar-sargon has been saying ghoulish things for years. or is jayapal being called a shithead?

(having trouble with reading comprehension today)

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 5, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lazy_Liberal posted:

what's the main issue with briahna joy gray's post? something about victims of sexual violence being silenced by the israeli govt or what? batya ungar-sargon has been saying ghoulish things for years. or is jayapal being called a shithead?

(having trouble with reading comprehension today)

She's saying Hamas doesn't use systematic rape as a means of war. And that all other testimony and forensic evidence otherwise is suspect.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
has firsthand testimony or forensic evidence been presented?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So far theres been zero evidence. It comes across more as every accusation is a confession; https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZS1Q0/ re-occurring trend with the IDF and Israel. And then more recently, sexual assault / rape allegations of Palestinians in Israeli prisons https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/tamara-nassar/released-palestinians-reveal-horrors-israeli-prisons

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 5, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If it's true, and I don't doubt that it is, then what? What conclusions should we draw from it? What actions should we believe are justified because of it?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Flopsy posted:

She's saying Hamas doesn't use systematic rape as a means of war. And that all other testimony and forensic evidence otherwise is suspect.

Oh, I'm just reading it as a correction regarding the meaning of "believe women" being misused by Ungar-Sargon as some anti woke gotcha. I don't know too much about what sexual violence occured on 10/7. I'm assuming there was some since it was male fighters and that's what they tend to do.

As important as getting a clear idea of what happened on 10/7 is, I still think media arguments about rape and baby beheadings distracts from the bigger picture of ending systematic and direct violence towards people stuck in Gaza.

like even if every hamas guy was a dick-out robocop alleyway rapist, the ongoing violence against folks in gaza still isn't justified so i'm like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 5, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Oh, I'm just reading it as a correction regarding the meaning of "believe women" being misused by Ungar-Sargon as some anti woke gotcha. I don't know too much about what sexual violence occured on 10/7. I'm assuming there was some since it was male fighters and that's what they tend to do.

As important as getting a clear idea of what happened on 10/7 is, I still think media arguments about rape and baby beheadings distracts from the bigger picture of ending systematic and direct violence towards people stuck in Gaza.

like even if every hamas guy was a dick-out robocop alleyway rapist, the ongoing violence against folks in gaza still isn't justified so i'm like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think any of the violance is justified because both countries are at the mercy of their lovely governments but I especially hate it when war crimes are played down to make the other side look less dogshit.

I said come in! posted:

So far theres been zero evidence. It comes across more as every accusation is a confession; https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZS1Q0/ re-occurring trend with the IDF and Israel. And then more recently, sexual assault / rape allegations of Palestinians in Israeli prisons https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/tamara-nassar/released-palestinians-reveal-horrors-israeli-prisons

“The vice chair of the UN Legal Committee… has also said that Israel has submitted to the UN unequivocal evidence of rape incidents, including gang rape and traces of semen found in bodies of young Israeli women who were murdered.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Flopsy posted:

I don't think any of the violance is justified because both countries are at the mercy of their lovely governments but I especially hate it when war crimes are played down to make the other side look less dogshit.

I can appreciate that, thanks for clarifying. I guess I take it for granted that every war is mostly war crimes but then I might be pessimistic. I don't want any acts of violence to be hidden or understated, especially with the intention of maintaining some "this side does good war, this side does bad war" false binary.