Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Isn't there 2 team option years on top of the 8?

Yes at 30 million per.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mcmagic posted:

How does the players union allow this predatory poo poo to go on?

He's a teenager with exactly 24 plate appearances at AAA, lol

I think the success of Acuña, JRod, Soto, etc has really messed with people assuming every top prospect will come up and be an instant superstar.

Popete posted:

Chourio's will be 27 when his 8/82 deal expires and he has yet to play a day in the Majors. This isn't nearly as bad as the criminal Ozzie Albies deal.

For reference, Albies signed his deal after 900 MLB plate appearances and 5.2 fWAR !!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty sure this is the largest contract given out to a player who has not even appeared in the majors yet. He’s doing fine.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bregor posted:

He's a teenager with exactly 24 plate appearances at AAA, lol

I think the success of Acuña, JRod, Soto, etc has really messed with people assuming every top prospect will come up and be an instant superstar.

The Mariners just traded Kelenic to help dump a super early contract.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya if he turns into JUAN SOTO, he'll probably lose ~20% of what he would make going year to year+arb and more than likely ~10million per on the two options years, considering arbitration values changing over time, and that's only IF he plays and sticks in the majors this coming year. If he doesn't accrue a year of service time or wouldn't be a UFA for even one extra year its at best a wash for Mulwaukee.

That's if he hits his absolute ceiling.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

That's if he hits his absolute ceiling.

And if he goes Singleton/Kingery/White - lol. Congrats, kid.

This contract is not exactly Albies v2.0.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

He's a Brewer, so I am required to hope he sucks his whole career. Them's the rules.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He's a Brewer, so I am required to hope he sucks his whole career. Them's the rules.

yeah i'm hoping this will be seen as a very Player Friendly Contract

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeVassallo13/status/1731721330318291113

How does the players union allow this predatory poo poo to go on?

It's a risk/reward thing. If Churio is the guy we all think he is, yeah, team makes out. But if Churio busts or can't stay healthy, then good deal for him. I know athletes are insane and love to bet on themselves, but 80 million is a lot to turn down for not playing a single ML game

Scott Kingery lol

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

zoux posted:

How much cap space did they clear? Pairing Shohei with a generationally good CF would be quite the combo, they'd be unbeatable in the AL West.

The difference is that the Mariners actually employ pitchers.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The present value of $10m a year today instead of making $450k-ish for the next 3 or 4 years is huge. If he was smart with this money (lol), the growth of it would probably offset a lot of potential income loss in years 6 through 8. Plus it sets him up for life if he flames out or loses a leg in a snow plow accident or something. As a player you take this deal 100% of the time, even if it potentially caps your earnings 6 or 7 years from now.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

That's an absolutely bonkers payday for someone that, again, has never played at the MLB level. If he doesn't pan out, he hits free agency at 25 and probably continues making similar money. If he hits a crazy ceiling, he makes another $50 million and he's a free agent at 27 and names his price. In both cases, he's losing a bit off the back end (maybe) to make life-changing money now.

And, to be clear, this is more money than Mike Trout got while winning RotY and two MVPS (and coming in second twice.) Team control years are loving abysmal.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I was going to say, this is mostly shocking because it makes it obvious how long team control really is.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inspector_666 posted:

I was going to say, this is mostly shocking because it makes it obvious how long team control really is.

Just in farting around looking at comps, Mike Yastrzemski is 33 years old, pretty good though clearly not Generational, and is still in arb til 2026. He's 33. He still hasn't cracked $10m.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Man I just did a recap of what the Guardians have been doing from Opening Day to now and it made me loving depressed.

To wit:
- Mike Zunino: DFA'd because he didn't bounce back from TOS.
- Amed Rosario: flipped to Dodgers for a trade we somehow lost despite Rosario being a sub-league average bat/defender.
- Josh Bell: traded for prospects.
- Triston McKenzie: Was effectively out for season barring a couple spot starts in September, unclear if he's going to be rehabbed in time for 2023 or if he's gonna need TJ despite not wanting to.
- Cal Quantril: traded for a Rockies prospect post-season.
- Aaron Civale: flipped to Rays at trade deadline for prospects.
- Zach Plesac: DFA'd, granted Free Agency.
- Enyel De Los Santos: traded to Padres for a much worse looking reliever.
- Oscar Gonzales: quietly put on waivers and immediately snatched up by the Yankees.

That's "every starting pitcher on the Guardians opening day save Bieber and Gaddis", "Starting C, 2B, and DH", "Most reliable non-Closer Reliever" and "beloved rookie who everyone locally hoped was going to immediately bounce back from a disastrous 2nd season".

This loving suuuuuuucks.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Brewers signed both Joe Ross and Wade Miley so get excited the hot stove is slowly warming.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Monathin posted:

Man I just did a recap of what the Guardians have been doing from Opening Day to now and it made me loving depressed.

To wit:
- Mike Zunino: DFA'd because he didn't bounce back from TOS.
- Amed Rosario: flipped to Dodgers for a trade we somehow lost despite Rosario being a sub-league average bat/defender.
- Josh Bell: traded for prospects.
- Triston McKenzie: Was effectively out for season barring a couple spot starts in September, unclear if he's going to be rehabbed in time for 2023 or if he's gonna need TJ despite not wanting to.
- Cal Quantril: traded for a Rockies prospect post-season.
- Aaron Civale: flipped to Rays at trade deadline for prospects.
- Zach Plesac: DFA'd, granted Free Agency.
- Enyel De Los Santos: traded to Padres for a much worse looking reliever.
- Oscar Gonzales: quietly put on waivers and immediately snatched up by the Yankees.

That's "every starting pitcher on the Guardians opening day save Bieber and Gaddis", "Starting C, 2B, and DH", "Most reliable non-Closer Reliever" and "beloved rookie who everyone locally hoped was going to immediately bounce back from a disastrous 2nd season".

This loving suuuuuuucks.

They're also apparently shopping Clase.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sydin posted:

They're also apparently shopping Clase.

Clase's last season was kind of mixed but if they shop him I might deadass not follow next year. Our bullpen is already dogshit and you're ripping out the floorboards.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Brewers signed both Joe Ross and Wade Miley so get excited the hot stove is slowly warming.

The Chourio news is nice, but this is pretty "we tried"

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Bregor posted:

The Chourio news is nice, but this is pretty "we tried"

Not really Miley is a resigning at a discount and Ross is just whatever depth that is alright to have as you don’t have to guarantee a rotation spot.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/GersLevy/status/1731756942383849796

Lmao

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

$4.5m going from Seattle to Atlanta; Ken Rosenthal reports Atlanta plans to include Marco Gonzales in another deal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm gonna say it because somebody has to:

SMOG

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

$4.5m going from Seattle to Atlanta; Ken Rosenthal reports Atlanta plans to include Marco Gonzales in another deal.

buying Cole Phillips for $4.5 million I guess

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Seattle just making room on the roster for Ohtani, right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tadashi posted:

Seattle just making room on the roster for Ohtani, right?

How do you feel about a slightly used Joc Pederson? Jorge Soler? Joey Gallo?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Eric the Mauve posted:

How do you feel about a slightly used Joc Pederson? Jorge Soler? Joey Gallo?

It's too rainy in Seattle for them to properly utilize Soler Power :dadjoke:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/longleysunsport/status/1731785929633783818

Busy signing Ohtani probably

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

He's too busy making GBS threads himself blind with norovirus because baseball execs are filthy bastards who don't wash their hands.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

What I wouldn't give to be present for the Ohtani team meetings. I wonder how much of Arte's bizarre sense of pride in his team is keeping the Angels in the mix (read: driving the price up). Can he bear the shame of the biggest star in a century signing somewhere else?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Sydin posted:

I'm gonna say it because somebody has to:

SMOG

Stupid Mariners Org Goobers

Edit: Tweet was from October

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 4, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can't really blame Kelenic for not wanting thank the Mariners FO after they publically admitted to service time manipulation and then salary dumped him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1731805836958106037

Seems like a good way to waste 10million

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fedde was never anything special in MLB. It's always funny when these guys come back from Japan or Korea after dominating over there and get a decent payday. I just would personally never risk it if I were a GM.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fedde was never anything special in MLB. It's always funny when these guys come back from Japan or Korea after dominating over there and get a decent payday. I just would personally never risk it if I were a GM.

These guys tend to be at least serviceable, no? Kelly is good and guys like Nick Martinez have value.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/thehazelmae/status/1731811804194451896

Lmao

Bregor
May 31, 2013

live with fruit posted:

These guys tend to be at least serviceable, no? Kelly is good and guys like Nick Martinez have value.

Mikolas has had a pretty good run too. Sometimes guys just figure it out. Honestly $5 million AAV for any arm that could possibly give you 100+ decent innings seems like a good gamble to take.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

live with fruit posted:

It depends on why they did well in Asia. I'm sure there are plenty of unremarkable to bad fastball guys who could go apeshit in the KBO, but if they just keep throwing their FB over there, nobody's gonna want to bring them back.

It's one those things that's impossible to quantify but I think some dudes need that "gap year" without the pressure of the MLB to just kind of figure stuff out. And that's not to demean the KBO and NPB or poo poo on the quality, I just think it's a mental thing where suddenly they're kinda Just A Dude over there.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/BobbyMilone29/status/1731826534615294335

The Yankees are doing too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
King is different than the other guys the Yankees have prospect hugged because we've seen him do it in the majors for multiple years. The only question mark for me on him is his recovery. If he can hold up he's going to be a really good starter and I understand why the Yankees don't want to trade him.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 5, 2023