Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shard posted:

just do it already! You've had like 5 years!

But I have to play Dragon's Dogma before the sequel comes out! :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Get out the thread and into my into free

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Tyranny is pretty short, too. I wish it were longer, but it is what it is. I think I had 25ish hours?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The combat though 😬

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Khanstant posted:

Love games that can handle seamlessly between em. Different things handle better with different inputs, just the way it is. Even games that are otherwise perfect on controller often have menus where it'd be a lot faster to just click with a mouse.

Cyberpunk is another good example where you can switch to controller for driving.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

Dark Arisen came out like 12 years ago

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vogue, strike a pose :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Finished Wonder. Got a couple more levels to do, and then 100% everything, but beat the final stage.
What an absolute delight of a game.

Not sure where it'll end up in my GOTY list, but it's in the Top 3 easily atm.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Cyberpunk is another good example where you can switch to controller for driving.

That's a good one but make sure to do the ini edit to make driving really good instead of super weird. I did one-punch-man style combat so controller and kbm were both fine for combat -- but there were some launch exploit movement glitches easier to pull off with keyboard to give yourself arbitrarily high bunny hop speed.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The ultimate edition of Cyberpunk comes out tomorrow (just the base game & the expansion bundled), bit there's a patch with some new features coming too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B4r1jbpS2A

I love that they're adding a whole loving train system just because. You don't need to use it, and the old fast travel is still there, but you can just ride the train if you want!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The train system too was actually almost complete when the game originally shipped, CDPR is just finishing up cut content.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, there's a mod that implemented and expanded on it, though this looks to be doing way more.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

But the sequel is just Dragon's Dogma again but better! It's the type of game that makes playing the previous game obsolete

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shard posted:

But the sequel is just Dragon's Dogma again but better! It's the type of game that makes playing the previous game obsolete

That's why I've got to play it first!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

But if you just play the new one you'll know how the old one played - worse with less stuff in it!

okokokok - let me sell you on it. In Tyranny you can throw a dude off a tower with a note pinned to his chest letting the army at the bottom know to gently caress off.

You can orchestrate a rebellion while trying to kill it off and in the middle of the battle actively switch sides. OR you can say you're going to do that just to get inside and then kill the rebels!

One of your companions is a loving werewolf!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The main thing I know about Tyranny is the game was sold as you playing Sauron's Middle Manager and then you weren't allowed to do that until a dlc patched it in

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, like how if you try to play Infamous after Infamous 2 you won't like it as much because Infamous 2 improved on the base gameplay so much.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, like how if you try to play Infamous after Infamous 2 you won't like it as much because Infamous 2 improved on the base gameplay so much.

There is a lot about Infamous 1 I like more honestly. I liked how if you were good or bad you would see random stuff start to pop up like posters on the wall or random protests or celebrations of what you were doing.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Shard posted:

i have a feeling that people should play Dragon's Dogma 1 first, for certain story reasons

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dangan Dogma

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"hyrdossity is not a word" made my top 100 most replayed songs on youtube this year, but so did a pizza tower final boss song, and a random plok song siva gunna remix.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
C&C 3 > Tiberiun Sun. Subscribe to my newsletter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Infinitum posted:

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of raging demon

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Khanstant posted:

"hyrdossity is not a word" made my top 100 most replayed songs on youtube this year, but so did a pizza tower final boss song, and a random plok song siva gunna remix.
well unexpectancy is one of the best final boss themes of all time so that's not surprising at least

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of raging demon

i unfortunately thought of the banned Tracer pose from overwatch

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

C&C 3 > Tiberiun Sun. Subscribe to my newsletter.

Mammoths are tanks again, q.e.d.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

well unexpectancy is one of the best final boss themes of all time so that's not surprising at least

Not just final boss music but also great "oh I have a ton to do and not much time to do it" last hour of work music.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you've not heard it yet, RichaadEB's cover is near-impeccable and has an brilliant video to it with one of the most amazing twists in history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCyBKcikfLU&hd=1

if I had any complaints it'd be just a slight quibble with part of the phase 3 cover but otherwise it's phenomenal all the way through

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RBA Starblade posted:

The main thing I know about Tyranny is the game was sold as you playing Sauron's Middle Manager and then you weren't allowed to do that until a dlc patched it in

Eeeh, that's a bit uncharitable in that you definitively spend the early game playing Middle Manager, but also part of the point of the game is that you basically break away from the Overlord because it turns out evil Empires aren't the best form of government, evil overlords don't like minions who could threaten their authority and teach people that the biggest stick gets to decide (and by the endgame you have a stick comparable to the evil Overlord)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1731816241201836046

hoooooooooly poo poo does this look incredible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Eeeh, that's a bit uncharitable in that you definitively spend the early game playing Middle Manager, but also part of the point of the game is that you basically break away from the Overlord because it turns out evil Empires aren't the best form of government, evil overlords don't like minions who could threaten their authority and teach people that the biggest stick gets to decide (and by the endgame you have a stick comparable to the evil Overlord)

That sucks though, I want to be his lovely middle manager instead. It's way more novel a concept. Maybe even have me get chucked off of the Eye because someone even shittier screwed me over

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Weyoun Simulator

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God that trailer looks amazing.

GTA V was..... fine, but I was really sick of the "everything is terrible and everybody is an rear end in a top hat" writing style of the games by that point, which is part of why I found Red Dead Redemption 2 so compelling since the only character that felt like the then typical Rockstar writing was Micah and everybody loving hated him. So I'm really, really hoping this game is a bit more in that RDR2 vibe at least character wise.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Vice is back baby!

edit: definitely aiming for the feeling of the first V trailer but its song and voice over didn't hit as hard.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 5, 2023

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Rockstar released the trailer early since it leaked apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBZY2fkU-0

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it's a long long road to 2025 alright

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

it's a long long road to 2025 alright

This wait is going to be painful, and chances are its near the tail end of 2025.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Game looks gorgeous, but I'm a little shocked how badly 5 burned me. Show me how the gunplay feels and some decent non lovely characters and I will get hype.

A little surprised to see myself this jaded, what the hell when did this happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Any high quality image of that thumbnail pic?