Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

As faras I can remember, every game he's ever done besides Gnomemurdered was just someone else's system reskinned. Which one is this?

I mean, *taps thread title*, but I wouldn't know. He uses the DCC exp system but I haven't read it since 2017 and I was not impressed enough to keep it on my shelves, donating it to a salvation army alongside a bunch of other lovely books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Ended up getting from the Lulu sale a copy of Whitehack Fourth Edition, Times That Fry Men's Souls, and from the same author as the latter Bad Kansas City: Haunt of The Pendergeist, all of his stuff is on sale for pretty cheap on DTRPG right now too

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God I really don't need another copy of either the Dungeon Crawl or Mutant Crawl Classics rulebooks but gently caress the alternate covers they have available right now look so dope.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

homullus posted:

My guess is PRSKILL is a skill in which the character is proficient, and STSKILL is a standard skill.

That distinction does exist in a way, as there are class skills you get out of a pool of general skills (with several Medic-specific skills).

But as far as I know, that only affects how you allocate points to skills (you both get more class skill points, and those get a higher cap). The skill check in the tabletop game isn't different, and there's nothing to suggest there's an CRPG adventure-time distinction (the two aren't different in my limited testing; the game engines don't separate the two internally, only in the UI; the uses don't correlate to what are/aren't class skills).

So I hypothesize they differ in how skill difficulty checks work (the tabletop version is very much "who thought this was a good idea?") ... but I don't actually know.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Lulu.com Print On Demand is having a 30% off sale with the reusable offer code TWINKLE30 (valid until Nov 28). Here's a list of solid and interesting game materials you can get there, though idk how recently it's been updated because there is good stuff that isn't on the list.

I picked up:

d30 Sandbox Companion

Deep Carbon Observatory

Times That Fry Men's Souls

If I had really just been ballin' out stupid, I would have also liked to pick up:

A Magical Medieval Society - Western Europe, 3rd Ed.

Fire On The Velvet Horizon

Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-playing (Purely out of curiosity as someone who took a few games history and development electives in college. I enjoy these sorts of exercises.)

The Wilderness Alphabet

Burgs & Bailiffs

The Unfortunate Circumstance of Dame Margaret Pearl (The EndZeitgeist review of this made it sound really cool and now I want to find more of the author's stuff )

The Nightmares Underneath, 2nd Ed.

I was curious about the Dark Albion campaign book, but reviews were mixed and I think I remember hearing the author is one of those patented Giant Piece Of poo poo Guys so prevalent in pockets of the OSR scene.

I'm sure there was some other stuff on the list, but this is already a silly amount.

As for the Exalted Funeral sale, I picked up Old School Stylish for myself. As Christmas gifts for my buddy, I snagged Mörk Borg and Putrescence Regnant. Genuinely have no clue what to expect for that last one, it looks bonkers, I just know my friend collects vinyl and likes gonzo metal poo poo so he'll probably get a kick out of it. Getting him the Mörk Borg ruleset along with it is part of my secret plot as a man afflicted with Forever DM disease to see if I can get him to run an RPG for the first time.

Edit: forgot I also got the PDF of Sword, Cross, & Chainmail. Thought I deleted PDF + Physical but apparently not 🤷🤷🤷

Would appreciate your candid thoughts on Old School Stylish when you take a look.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Nickoten posted:

Would appreciate your candid thoughts on Old School Stylish when you take a look.

Will do. I'm always curious to see how people approach taking OSR bones and making something quite tonally different with them, like Scarlet Heroes, or that one game I can't remember the name of where you each play a demigod who has a Word of Power or something. This piqued my interest due to how quirky and unusual the approach is, so I'll give a rundown once it arrives.

Edit:

On the topic of Times That Fry Men's Souls, does anyone know of any other Revolutionary War/Colonial America/New World gaming resources out there? OSR would be ideal, but it's a bit of a blind spot in the gaming scene, so I'll take what I can get. Bonus points if it's not from the perspective of Constitutional/Founding Father fetishism.

That period and place is very interesting to me, but I am also keenly aware that the founding of the U.S. was an exercise in hardening power for a bunch of surplus noble rich kids using the veneer of high minded terms like Equality and Liberty. Also unavoidable is the reality that the creation and spread of the U.S. necessarily required mass oppression, dispossession, and violence towards anyone that stood in the way of white, landed Euros gobbling up land and resources to exploit. It would be cool to find materials that are aware of the historical reality and not just parroting pure Golden Age Americana mythology, which is so far removed from reality that you might as well just run a game in the Forgotten Realms at that point.

I'm also interested in what was going on in the rest of the world in the 18th and 19th centuries, so really any tips on gaming resources for that time period in general would be appreciated. I've long toyed with the idea of building a campaign setting in an alt-history version of that era in the "New" World. Movie and book recommendations are also helpful for establishing a vibe. Positing a setting in which both The VVitch and Last of the Mohicans can coexist is fascinating to me.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 29, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Not OSR but Colonial Gothic is probably the big resource for this sort of thing, probably been some LOTFP adventures for this kind of thing as well since the "default"for it is around the earlier side of the colonization of the Americas

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

A New World for Whom? is a deeply cool setting book focused on Latin American fantasy. No mechanics at all, but a really great faction setup.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

OtspIII posted:

A New World for Whom? is a deeply cool setting book focused on Latin American fantasy. No mechanics at all, but a really great faction setup.

That's awesome, thank you, I'm so curious about the perspectives we never get to see in contemporary histories of the period

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I can't remember the name of it but there was an indie rpg about colonialism that had an interesting premise, where the player who earned the most money in real life got to play as the colonizers and the other players were all the colonized.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I want to nuke my friendships, Carcosa is right there.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

SlimGoodbody posted:

On the topic of Times That Fry Men's Souls, does anyone know of any other Revolutionary War/Colonial America/New World gaming resources out there? OSR would be ideal, but it's a bit of a blind spot in the gaming scene, so I'll take what I can get. Bonus points if it's not from the perspective of Constitutional/Founding Father fetishism.

That period and place is very interesting to me, but I am also keenly aware that the founding of the U.S. was an exercise in hardening power for a bunch of surplus noble rich kids using the veneer of high minded terms like Equality and Liberty. Also unavoidable is the reality that the creation and spread of the U.S. necessarily required mass oppression, dispossession, and violence towards anyone that stood in the way of white, landed Euros gobbling up land and resources to exploit. It would be cool to find materials that are aware of the historical reality and not just parroting pure Golden Age Americana mythology, which is so far removed from reality that you might as well just run a game in the Forgotten Realms at that point.

I'm also interested in what was going on in the rest of the world in the 18th and 19th centuries, so really any tips on gaming resources for that time period in general would be appreciated. I've long toyed with the idea of building a campaign setting in an alt-history version of that era in the "New" World. Movie and book recommendations are also helpful for establishing a vibe. Positing a setting in which both The VVitch and Last of the Mohicans can coexist is fascinating to me.

Atlas Games' Northern Crown is a low-fantasy d20 System game set in an alt-history 18th century North America. It kind of tries to have it both ways in terms of making the period more palatable while still remaining recognizable, so the nations and historical figures are renamed but still clearly identifiable, and the colonial nations acknowledge the sovereignty of neighboring indigenous nations but are still very much colonial nations. It also borrows names and setting elements from Nyambe: African Adventures, though it's not strictly intended to be the future of the Nyambe setting.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

A Strange Aeon posted:

I can't remember the name of it but there was an indie rpg about colonialism that had an interesting premise, where the player who earned the most money in real life got to play as the colonizers and the other players were all the colonized.

Was it Dog Eat Dog?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

OtspIII posted:

Was it Dog Eat Dog?

Reading the description, I think it might have been! I just remembered that initial real life wealth rule from an article I read a decade ago, so I can't say for sure, but it's doubtful there's a ton of games occupying that space.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey so is there like a Old School DND online group of Goons that play old AD&D ?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hollismason posted:

Hey so is there like a Old School DND online group of Goons that play old AD&D ?

Probably could be; what version?

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Would love a play by post on something like that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hypnobeard posted:

Probably could be; what version?

I was thinking like A D & D. I'd be willing to GM it but like I'd also like to play so if it had more than 1 GM I'd be game. Preferably Hex Crawl with modules. I have all the books.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 3, 2023

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hollismason posted:

I was thinking like A D & D. I'd be willing to GM it but like I'd also like to play so if it had more than 1 GM I'd be game. Preferably Hex Crawl with modules. I have all the books.

So, 1e, then? AD&D had 2 editions.

Were you thinking of including the usual 1e modules like Temple of Elemental Evil etc or just generic modules adapted?

I'm game to play/GM something, preferably pbp or Discord. Multi-GM would be cool, too. Greyhawk? Or something homebrew?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hypnobeard posted:

So, 1e, then? AD&D had 2 editions.

Were you thinking of including the usual 1e modules like Temple of Elemental Evil etc or just generic modules adapted?

I'm game to play/GM something, preferably pbp or Discord. Multi-GM would be cool, too. Greyhawk? Or something homebrew?

Yea I was thinking 2nd. I'd really like to run some of the old modules like White Plume mountain etc Expeditio n to barrier peak etc..

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 3, 2023

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hollismason posted:

Yea I was thinking 2nd. I'd really like to run some of the old modules like White Plume mountain etc Expeditio n to barrier peak etc..

Well, cool. I'd be down for doing some co-GMing, and there are 2e versions for most (all?) of the classic stuff, so we can collaborate on that stuff. Sent you a PM with some off-site contact info for doing some planning.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hypnobeard posted:

Well, cool. I'd be down for doing some co-GMing, and there are 2e versions for most (all?) of the classic stuff, so we can collaborate on that stuff. Sent you a PM with some off-site contact info for doing some planning.

Alright sounds good to me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

1e is really just 2e with some missing dlc

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://goodman-games.com/blog/2023/12/04/goodman-games-inks-exclusive-distribution-deal-with-diamond-book-distributors/

Goodman's mail order woes have always been a black mark against DCC, especially internationally. This is a pretty big expansion for them.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Getting anything from Goodman shipped to me in Japan has always more than doubled the cost of the order, so whatever the specifics are here, it's pretty much guaranteed to be an upgrade.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
finally finished reading every post in this thread

I've been playing in a Worlds without Number campaign and holy poo poo do I love the system. GM is running us through the 1e U series (we finished The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh) among some other unrelated stuff.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've been playing in a Worlds without Number campaign and holy poo poo do I love the system. GM is running us through the 1e U series (we finished The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh) among some other unrelated stuff.

Last Christmas I got a bunch of his stuff, including the WWN book. It read really well, but I've never heard anyone using the actual system. It has a bit more going on than a typical osr game while keeping the spirit, and that guy's tables and world gen stuff are second to none.

I just got the Cities Without Number for my birthday but it hasn't come yet.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Empty Sandwich posted:

We're running Dark Sun in WWN (second choice after the original 2e material was a bit too much for most of us) and it's been a good time. Not a perfect system but pretty good.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

We're running Dark Sun in WWN (second choice after the original 2e material was a bit too much for most of us) and it's been a good time. Not a perfect system but pretty good.

Can you say more what you like/don't like about it? I've considered running it, or a chopped-down version of it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sax Solo posted:

Can you say more what you like/don't like about it? I've considered running it, or a chopped-down version of it.

Definitely curious about this as well!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sax Solo posted:

The only big issue we've run into so far are that the healing rules are unnecessarily punishing; the Frail condition as a whole could go away and it would improve significantly for that. But then, we do have one PC who rolled 2 HP and has been brushing up against that thanks to the Shock mechanic plenty. Otherwise... I dunno, it's an OSR system without anything really special to it so far. It works for the GM so I'm fine with it. I don't have enough experience to have strong opinions about any of the other mechanics so far. We're only 3 sessions in and the first session was almost entirely narrative setup.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anyone have experience with Fantasy Grounds and Classic DnD.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I didn't understand the appeal of ultra-light systems (Knave, Mork Borg, [Color] Hack, ITO, etc) until I considered running OSE at a game store and went through what I'd actually need to print out. Character sheets, spell lists for all classes, starting gear lists, class reference sheets for chargen, ability scores and ability score modifiers, huge tables of saving throws, rules quick reference - it all adds up to a lot of printed matter that has to be shuffled in front of the players with accompanying explanations before they can make characters and start playing. It's lightweight compared to something like 5e but there's still plenty of paperwork.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Do players really need all that info to get started? I get that it’s helpful to have ability score modifiers and saves at hand to actually fill the sheets, but are there any actual choices to be made during OSE chargen? Just roll your bones and don’t pick a thief.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 9, 2023

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

Siivola posted:

Do players really need all that info to get started? I get that it’s helpful to have ability score modifiers and saves at hand to actually fill the sheets, but are there any actual choices to be made during OSE chargen? Just roll your bones and don’t pick a thief.

Honestly I think the choices boil down to choosing starting gear, which can be solved if you just give them a set and some gold. Even if you do pick thief your thief skills come pre-allocated, just have more to list!

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Siivola posted:

I get that it’s helpful to have ability score modifiers and saves at hand to actually fill the sheets, but are there any actual choices to be made during OSE chargen? Just roll your bones and don’t pick a thief.
That's where I'm headed with this. There are very few choices, but a large amount of information that still has to be transcribed. Pages of class features, saving throws, starting spells, even if you pre-allocate starting gear that still all needs to be copied onto the sheet from a reference document.

A game like Electric Bastionland or Mothership takes all that and shrinks it down onto a single page of text. My regular players don't like those ultra-light rules, there's not enough "game" there to be worth rolling out of bed for. But for play with a group of randoms and an uncertain level of experience within a bounded timeslot, it's perfect.

Either that or just use pregens at the beginning. I've seen people do this with DCC, pregenerate level 0 characters rather than make everyone roll 3d6 down the line for half a dozen expendable nobodies.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Honestly a lot of that can just be kept on the DM’s side or just looked up as needed.

First level characters rarely roll saving throws, so find the table only when you have to, etc

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay so I only now realized you didn’t ask for advice on this, sorry. :shobon:

But now I’m tempted to learn a pdf editor and whip up some class-specific character sheets that have all the boring stuff filled in.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Siivola posted:

Okay so I only now realized you didn’t ask for advice on this, sorry. :shobon:

But now I’m tempted to learn a pdf editor and whip up some class-specific character sheets that have all the boring stuff filled in.
Seems logical. I could probably do it myself if it really bothers me that much. OSE has form-fillable PDF sheets and I could just make class specific versions of those by filling in the saves, abilities, etc.

The other thing I thought about was a single class game, where everyone is just an "adventurer" or something. Like Esoteric Enterprises where the characters are all maintenance workers rather than bodyguards, doctors, mages, etc (but leaving the option for them to cast via scrolls they find, so the magic system isn't removed entirely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I've started a couple of groups on OSE this year. Used the random equipment from Carcass Crawler and just told them the number the first (and only) time they had to save for something.