Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rescue Toaster posted:

Should the installation images for modern distros support secure boot? I know lots of distros can do various secure boot configurations and there's instructions once you're up and running and need to update a kernel and so forth.

I tried a couple and got secure boot errors, and so ok well I'll disable it and think about enabling it later. But that does sort of defeat the purpose. I verified the hash and signature on the install medium so it's not that, and I'm not like, worried about it or anything, more a curiosity.

I believe Microsoft is the only official CA for secure boot (though you can add your own CA's yourself). They have certain requirements before they hand out keys to distro makers which, while not super onerous, many just don't bother with.

Some folks also just have an issue with Microsoft holding the keys to whether you're allowed to install any other OS's on your hardware so refuse to use it on principal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

Should the installation images for modern distros support secure boot? I know lots of distros can do various secure boot configurations and there's instructions once you're up and running and need to update a kernel and so forth.

I tried a couple and got secure boot errors, and so ok well I'll disable it and think about enabling it later. But that does sort of defeat the purpose. I verified the hash and signature on the install medium so it's not that, and I'm not like, worried about it or anything, more a curiosity.

The good distributions do.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a goofy problem where I get a "target is busy" option when umounting a filesystem I was manipulating as a chroot. The file system is just a file itself. I have to set up some binds for stuff like /dev and /dev/pts, but I only fail when unmounting the actual filesystem. If I umount again afterwards, it works fine. It doesn't happen every time. I am guessing something is still flushing/committing/whatever when I try to umount it, but I had exited the chroot well before that.

Even trying to diagnose with fuser or lsof comes up with nothing, and the consequence of using those commands often causes the umount to actually succeed. I'm thinking I need to wait on some operations to finish saving to the image file that represents the filesystem. Are there any flushing commands like that I should be considering?

My guess is what you guessed. Try running `sync` first.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Syncing doesn't make a difference, unmounting does it implicitly.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Rescue Toaster posted:

They do (the big ones anyway). They just sign their stuff with a MS-signed certificate. But if you need to compile your own kernel module (nvidia for example) then it can get more complicated (need to add your own cert to the bios, sign the drat thing with it or with a cert signed with it, etc.). I personally never bothered, disable the thing and move on with life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

Syncing doesn't make a difference, unmounting does it implicitly.

even so every proper linux admin has to run sync at LEAST three times before unmounting anything

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

xzzy posted:

even so every proper linux admin has to run sync at LEAST three times before unmounting anything

Sync is for when umount complains, you're reasonably sure there's nothing actively writing to the USB disk anymore, and you want to be a little bit more proper than just yanking it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Volguus posted:

They do (the big ones anyway). They just sign their stuff with a MS-signed certificate. But if you need to compile your own kernel module (nvidia for example) then it can get more complicated (need to add your own cert to the bios, sign the drat thing with it or with a cert signed with it, etc.). I personally never bothered, disable the thing and move on with life.

I just use the "Other OS" secure boot option thing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask it but it is kinda Linux related. I have an Ubuntu VM running thru Virtual Box that I want to install on a dedicated machine as the native OS. How can I go about doing this?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Popete posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask it but it is kinda Linux related. I have an Ubuntu VM running thru Virtual Box that I want to install on a dedicated machine as the native OS. How can I go about doing this?
You can just copy the whole filesystem in various ways (e.g. if you're running the vm on a desktop and it's using a disk image, you could pop in another disk, expose the new disk to the vm, and just use dd to copy the the disk over and then resize the partition), but do you actually really need to copy the whole root filesystem?

It's probably easier to just install it on the new computer and then copy the contents of your home directory by scp or whatever if that's all you need and there isn't a ton of stuff

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I do want to copy the entire filesystem actually. That makes sense, I will give that a try. Thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Sounds like I need to write SYNC in all-caps to really make it understand.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Sounds like I need to write SYNC in all-caps to really make it understand.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Popete posted:

I do want to copy the entire filesystem actually. That makes sense, I will give that a try. Thanks!

The brutal approach is to boot the target machine from a live USB stick; attach the VM drive to a new VM, and then use nc to just dump the entire drive byte for byte over the network. If you install pv, you'll even get a progress bar - something like this:

code:
Target machine:
# nc -l 1234 > /dev/sda 

Source machine:
# pv /dev/sda | nc 192.168.0.1 1234
This assumes that both the target and source drives are /dev/sda, which they probably won't be. It also assumes that the target PC's IP is 192.168.0.1, which again is unlikely to be true.

To expand, nc is "netcat" - it's a simple way to send bytes over the network. nc -l 1234 listens for connections on port 1234 and outputs everything it receives; nc <ip> <port> connects and sends everything piped into it. pv is basically cat with a progress bar - you can also use cat, ofc.

With that done, you'll probably have to find out how to expand the file system to fill the target disk; it'll most likely be bigger than your VM disk. The details depends on the file system you're using.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 5, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rescue Toaster posted:

Should the installation images for modern distros support secure boot?
I think Ubuntu and Fedora do, Debian and Arch do not?

Rescue Toaster posted:

But that does sort of defeat the purpose.
Not really. The purpose of secure boot is to deter boot-time rootkits on Windows since their installation would be obvious on the 99% of machines that ship with Windows and secure boot.

Everything else is outside the intended application scope, to the point where nobody QAs the "rolling your own keys" part.

Nitrousoxide posted:

They have certain requirements before they hand out keys to distro makers which, while not super onerous, many just don't bother with.
Well part of the problem is that GPL3-licensed software (especially GNU GRUB) can only be distributed as signed if the keys are also provided to allow users to sign their own versions. Obviously Microsoft isn't willing to do that, so RedHat had to write Shim to work around that. Which means distributions have to maintain their own signed copy of Shim and deal with all the key management between Shim and GRUB.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Some folks also just have an issue with Microsoft holding the keys to whether you're allowed to install any other OS's on your hardware so refuse to use it on principal.
If a machine of mine won't boot due to secure boot (which often happens due to implementation bugs, not necessarily a violation) I don't hesistate to turn it off.

If you want to sign your own kernel and enroll your own keys in your UEFI that's, great. But I don't particularly trust Microsoft's keys at this point since they've signed a bunch of crap over the years.

Also if you leave secure boot on and run Linux there's a good chance your machine won't boot at some point in 2026 when Microsoft's certificates expire but, since you're running Linux, you'll be excluded from whatever automatic update mechanism they employ in Windows.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

The brutal approach is to boot the target machine from a live USB stick; attach the VM drive to a new VM, and then use nc to just dump the entire drive byte for byte over the network. If you install pv, you'll even get a progress bar - something like this:

Computer Viking makes this sound like a big kludge, and I guess it is. But I'm here to tell you I use this technique all the damned time.

We should make this an interview question, honestly. Watching people dream up ways to do this seems useful.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

cruft posted:

Computer Viking makes this sound like a big kludge, and I guess it is. But I'm here to tell you I use this technique all the damned time.

We should make this an interview question, honestly. Watching people dream up ways to do this seems useful.

I'm sure you could do something with one of the imaging tools (e.g. clonezilla), maybe even converting the VM disk directly to something they can use as their input first. But that requires a lot more tools I haven't used recently and long explanations, so nc onto a raw drive it is. :shrug:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Not really. The purpose of secure boot is to deter boot-time rootkits on Windows since their installation would be obvious on the 99% of machines that ship with Windows and secure boot.

It's also useful for an IT department to ensure that only distro's validated by them are installed on their hardware. As long as they add themselves as a CA in the UEFI then they can ensure a malicious actor can't try to slip in a compromised OS.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

I'm sure you could do something with one of the imaging tools (e.g. clonezilla), maybe even converting the VM disk directly to something they can use as their input first. But that requires a lot more tools I haven't used recently and long explanations, so nc onto a raw drive it is. :shrug:

This is more in line with what I was originally thinking, there must be some tool to take a VM image and create a USB install from it but I guess it also just makes sense to directly dd the image over to the target hard drive so I'm gonna give that a shot first.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's also useful for an IT department to ensure that only distro's validated by them are installed on their hardware. As long as they add themselves as a CA in the UEFI then they can ensure a malicious actor can't try to slip in a compromised OS.
Sure. I don't think this is a bad use case, but I'm not sure it's well tested on your average UEFI either.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Popete posted:

This is more in line with what I was originally thinking, there must be some tool to take a VM image and create a USB install from it but I guess it also just makes sense to directly dd the image over to the target hard drive so I'm gonna give that a shot first.

So, yeah, you could use CloneZilla if you want to set up a server and install image and learn a bunch of crap.

But Unix makes everything a file* so there's nothing to be gained by making this more difficult than it needs to be.

* Well, that was the original intent. Then things like Berkeley Sockets and X11 happened.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Popete posted:

Is the VM image in VDI format? If so you'll have to convert or mount it first. If you have enough disk space to store a raw image then you can do it with VBoxManage:
code:
VBoxManage clonemedium vm.vdi vm.img --format=RAW
Alternatively I think qemu-img supports VDI, so you could use qemu-img without converting to raw, like:
code:
qemu-img dd if=vm.vdi of=/dev/whatevers bs=1M
Or you could mount it using qemu-nbd:
code:
modprobe nbd
qemu-nbd -rc /dev/nbd0 vm.vdi
ssh other_machine 'cat > /dev/whatevers' < /dev/nbd0
qemu-nbd -d /dev/nbd0
Things like that.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 5, 2023

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm having an iSCSI problem on my Arch installation- I can connect and login to the iSCSI device just fine, but it doesn't show up anywhere in the filesystem with fdisk , lsblk, or in /dev/disk/by-path

however, I can see the device details with $ iscsiadm -m session -P 3

also, the iscsi service fails with this

○ iscsi.service - Login and scanning of iSCSI devices
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/iscsi.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man:iscsiadm(8)
man:iscsid(8)

Dec 06 09:58:58 hyperion systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Login and scanning of iSCSI devices.
Dec 06 09:58:58 hyperion systemd[1]: iscsi.service: Job iscsi.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

I don't know what 'dependency' refers to.

this also appears in the journal-

systemd[1]: One time configuration for iscsi.service was skipped because of an unmet condition check (ConditionPathExists=!/etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi).

that file does exist. I've even tried recreating it with iscsi-gen-initiatorname but that journal entry persists

this was working fine until about a week ago when I reinstalled Arch. I don't remember doing anything to get it working other than installing open-iscsi

e: multipathd is running fine

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 6, 2023

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Welp, nevermind.
It started working after a reboot, though that didn't help last night.

:iiam:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Re: Secure Boot:

LogoFAIL just hit and basically all UEFI machines are now vulnerable to a Secure Boot bypass. Good times.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Man docking station stuff still seems like an absolute train wreck in linux.

A) Power management settings can't seem to differentiate between on a standalone USB-C power pack or on the dock, so if you want the laptop to only stay on when the lid is closed if it's on the dock, not just on the power adapter, doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

B) Window management stuff is an absolute shitshow. Every single version of every distro and window manager handles it differently (or not at all). Right now on mint-mate there's seemingly no way to disable the built-in screen at all when docked, even if the lid is closed. It's possible to create some command line udev scripts maybe? But if it ever gets out of sync or boots up in the wrong mode, you might be stuck with no display unless you were to... I don't know, have a process running continually monitoring for the presence of the USB-C dock device?

In fact I think the *easiest* thing might be to write from scratch my own daemon in python or something to continually monitor for the presence of the dock and run xrandr commands from a shell when necessary, and that's frankly loving pathetic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you could probably use udev triggers to set things up, but you’d need to be careful about things like undocking while suspended if udev doesn’t synthesize the right events

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

you could probably use udev triggers to set things up, but you’d need to be careful about things like undocking while suspended if udev doesn’t synthesize the right events

Yeah that's the exact kind of situation I'm worried about. You could try to catch all the insert/remove of the dock, power actions, lid open/close, sleep/suspend/startup etc... and still end up missing something. That's why I almost feel like it needs continuous monitoring (Every 3-5 seconds or something).

The other side of it is it's for my wife so it really needs to just work. She's been totally happy with linux but she's not going to put up with "Oh just put some shell scripts on your desktop to fix the broken poo poo and run them manually." which doesn't even work if the desktop isn't showing on the right screen. First time I tried the dock it happily detected the second monitor, but then when I locked the screen it only showed the login prompt on the laptop monitor even though it was sitting there with the lid closed.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 7, 2023

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
just use arandr with hotkeys

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I have been tasked with coming up with a strategy to back up ~ 44 tb from one server to another (on the same intranet).

• source is one directory and everything under it, stored on a Linux server in a GPFS filesystem
  • backup target is a SMB mount to a Windows machine (potential filesystem attribute/permission loss/symlink issues?)
  • preserving symlinks (or having a way to represent and restore them) is important
  • a full restore is extremely unlikely
  • ability to restore a particular file or directory is very likely
  • it's not crucial that the exact directory structure and individual files are mirrored to the SMB mount (i.e., it's ok if the backup solution stores blobs that are opaque to the target filesystem)
  • probably want this to run at least every 2 weeks
  • want this to be incremental because 44 TiB is a lot

we also want to prune the files kept on the server by access timestamp so we no longer have to keep 44 TiB in the directory. this might be a little separate from backing up, cause we don't want to remove these files from the backups, unless there is an append-only solution?

also, for pruning little-used files, is there a way to keep around a "ghost" of the file (kind of like in the Dropbox selective sync ui) in the source filesystem that indicates it was there but is now backed up?

the backup will be backed up regularly offsite by the admin of the windows server, so i am off the hook there.

i need to find some software and write some scripts to get this going. i've used rsync, borg, and timeshift before, but never on such a scale.

thank you for any pointers/symlinks/junctions. i've cross posted this in intersecting topics so forgive me if you've seen this post before and never wanted to see it again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah that's the exact kind of situation I'm worried about. You could try to catch all the insert/remove of the dock, power actions, lid open/close, sleep/suspend/startup etc... and still end up missing something. That's why I almost feel like it needs continuous monitoring (Every 3-5 seconds or something).

The more I think about it the more confident I am that udev will still send the right results at least for USB stuff, but I haven’t tested it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Take a look at rclone. It's very similar to rsync, but has some features that you may find useful (filtering by date is built-in, for example, and it backs up symlinks as text files). And when down the line the backup destination inevitably becomes some S3 cold storage bucket, you'll only have minimal changes to apply.

For the 'ghost files', it shouldn't be too complicated to solve that with a script. Set rclone or whatever other tool you choose to log all its actions in a structured format, find every instance of a file being deleted from the source, then create an empty filename.BACKEDUP placeholder. Exclude all 0-sized .BACKEDUP files from the main job.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 9, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Time to patch.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Posted this in the NAS thread, but wondering if this thread has opinions:

I'm on Fedora and I know I'm going to want to reinstall the OS every few years. I have four 8tb platter drives and my plan right now is to build a RAID10 with md. I'm pausing to check though, because when I move to the next Fedora I want to be absolutely sure that I can rebuild the array afterwards. Is there anything I should know before I start?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Use LVM instead of MD and you can just import the volume group.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm 100% sure my information is outdated and maybe imaginary, but I thought lvm raid used mdadm, but had worse repair and recovery? I've recovered and reassembled non-raid LVMs maybe a dozen times and its pretty easy, but I thought maybe it was just as simple using md?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd do RAID6 instead of RAID10.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Wibla posted:

I'd do RAID6 instead of RAID10.

Wouldn't RAID6 be a bit taxing on the CPU though? I only had it on a 3ware card a long time ago, but then it was all done in the chipset.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I mean people have been doing software RAID5/6 and ZFS raid for decades. I know I had a RAID5 mdadm setup running on a freaking celeron in ~2007 or so. Spinning disks are maybe like 2-3x as fast as they were then, while CPUs and memory are astronomically more powerful. I don't think it'll be an issue.

Unless you're using SSDs in your raid I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean people have been doing software RAID5/6 and ZFS raid for decades. I know I had a RAID5 mdadm setup running on a freaking celeron in ~2007 or so. Spinning disks are maybe like 2-3x as fast as they were then, while CPUs and memory are astronomically more powerful. I don't think it'll be an issue.

Unless you're using SSDs in your raid I guess.

Oh, then don't mind me. Carry on.