Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/rocklegend1203/status/1731644993826349135

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Majorian posted:

\/\/\/right? I can't wait for Lindsay Ellis to suddenly make her big Youtube comeback to put him out of everyone's misery.\/\/\/

4 hours+ cataloguing the uncredited sources for Somerton’s extensive Starscream erotica entries at Archive of Our Own.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

4 hours+ cataloguing the uncredited sources for Somerton’s extensive Starscream erotica entries at Archive of Our Own.

And finally getting the Loose Canon for Arcee.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

as a haruspex main gently caress Daniil Dankovsky

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't get why people have such a hard time understanding what immersive sim means, getting hung up on a literal interpretation when they'll throw around RPG like that means anything at all anymore. It originally meant something based on pen & paper game mechanics, now it means a game with character stats (ie everything). Why don't people whine about that?

Imsims are games that focus on providing a narrative that allows for some degree of agency in a broad sense, but a greater degree in moment to moment gameplay. They usually heavily emphasizes first person, real time gameplay (immersive) and a world that has a lot of overlapping, interacting systems that can combine in ways that allow for player expression not necessarily intended by the developers (simulation). This covers Deus Ex, System Shock, Thief, Prey, etc. Also Elder Scrolls and modern Fallout, because they are also imsims. Bethesda has been doing them for a while, Elder Scrolls Arena was a blatant Ultima Underworld clone. Is Skyrim a "good" Immersive Sim or game? I don't know, but it also doesn't matter, it ticks the boxes.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 5, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

I don't get why people have such a hard time understanding what immersive sim means, getting hung up on a literal interpretation when they'll throw around RPG like that means anything at all anymore. It originally meant something based on pen & paper game mechanics, now it means a game with character stats (ie everything). Why don't people whine about that?

Imsims are games that focus on providing a narrative that allows for some degree of agency in a broad sense, but a greater degree in moment to moment gameplay. They usually heavily emphasizes first person, real time gameplay (immersive) and a world that has a lot of overlapping, interacting systems that can combine in ways that allow for player expression not necessarily intended by the developers (simulation). This covers Deus Ex, System Shock, Thief, Prey, etc. Also Elder Scrolls and modern Fallout, because they are also imsims. Bethesda has been doing them for a while, Elder Scrolls Arena was a blatant Ultima Underworld clone. Is Skyrim a "good" Immersive Sim or game? I don't know, but it also doesn't matter, it ticks the boxes.

no thats not what an imsim is, an imsim is when a game is a bad stealth game, a bad fps and a bad rpg at the same time

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

So, Skyrim.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Youtube recommended a few of Somerton's videos to me a couple times and I tried watching one of them once and it didn't appeal to me because there was something really off about the delivery. Now I know what was the deal.

There was this time during a conversation and for an argument I just impulsively recited an author, a few sentences word by word. It was fresh in my mind because I had read it recently. And people were like "wow that's a beautiful point. well said symbolic butt."

And at that moment a deep insecurity about not being a native english speak struck me, I realized that I would never be as eloquent as that author. My own words would sound awkward and pale in comparison.

OK, that's my personal anecdote to the plagiarism bit, that's my best way of understanding at least part of what drove these people.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Alaois posted:

no thats not what an imsim is, an imsim is when a game is a bad stealth game, a bad fps and a bad rpg at the same time

You're not wrong, polish of the game mechanics are often secondary. Deus Ex is a mess, but people love it in spite of that. Those grab bag of mechanics mesh into something better than the sum of it's parts, because of the choices they offer and how they build a story for your character. That's the ultimate point of these kinds of games, they're not really *games*, they're storytelling machines with stolen game mechanics bolted on.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

An immsim is a game that both lets you open doors in more than three ways, and lets you progress by jumping or climbing on stacked boxes.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
No an isim is a game where people leave their security codes on notes lying around.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SCheeseman posted:

It's just a really bad and unclear name for any genre. Also people whine about RPGs, and especially "RPG Mechanics" all the time. Earlier this year there was something of a huff about what a JRPG even is. Video game genres, in general, are just kind of poorly defined and categorized. It's pretty fun. Wizardry? An RPG. Wizardry Gaiden? JRPG. The Witcher; RPG. Dark Souls? JRPG. Legend of Zelda: Action-Adventure. Darksiders; hack and slash adventure. DMC? Character Action. Pathologic is an RPG though, apparently.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It's just a really bad and unclear name for any genre. Also people whine about RPGs, and especially "RPG Mechanics" all the time. Earlier this year there was something of a huff about what a JRPG even is. Video game genres, in general, are just kind of poorly defined and categorized. It's pretty fun. Wizardry? An RPG. Wizardry Gaiden? JRPG. The Witcher; RPG. Dark Souls? JRPG. Legend of Zelda: Action-Adventure. Darksiders; hack and slash adventure. DMC? Character Action. Pathologic is an RPG though, apparently.

that's right

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

GigaPeon posted:

No an isim is a game where people leave their security codes on notes lying around.

putting the aut in isim

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

That's the ultimate point of these kinds of games, they're not really *games*, they're storytelling machines with stolen game mechanics bolted on.

what

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

trying to define imsim is one thing but how is deus ex not really a video game

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Night Trap is not just a movie!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wizardry is a JRPG. Ultima is a JRPG. Dark Souls is not.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deus Ex is the greatest video game of all time. Anyone disagreeing is a fool

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SCheeseman posted:

I don't get why people have such a hard time understanding what immersive sim means, getting hung up on a literal interpretation when they'll throw around RPG like that means anything at all anymore.
Unlike RPGs I don't think imsim was ever a good name for the genre (to the extent it is a genre). It's just what we are stuck with because one influential person said it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

xeria posted:

I only ever watched a couple of his vids before bouncing off entirely but the representation in video games was one of them and the primary catalyst for me bouncing off of his content. Like you said, the entire video read like he played none of these games and was only offering surface thoughts cribbed from forums/fandom wikis rather than anything he invested serious effort into. Knowing now how much he plagiarized - and that he content-mill'd so heavily that he obviously didn't have even a passing interest in half the subjects he opined on - makes my gut reaction make a lot of sense in hindsight. The more youtube content you watch, the more you can tell the difference between someone with serious interest in their chosen subject matter and someone churning content for cash, and he certainly falls pretty heavily into the latter.
It's bad enough that we don't know if any of the interesting things he's said were his own thoughts (unlikely!). But the wacky lovely thing now is that we also can't even be sure anymore if his worse opinions are actually his own either! Like, okay, apparently his condescending attitude about women was his own bona fide personality, fine, gotcha. But did he actually think Sera Gigglesquee Dragonage was a great gay character? From which poor bastard did he lift that particular take?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

BrianWilly posted:

It's bad enough that we don't know if any of the interesting things he's said were his own thoughts (unlikely!). But the wacky lovely thing now is that we also can't even be sure anymore if his worse opinions are actually his own either! Like, okay, apparently his condescending attitude about women was his own bona fide personality, fine, gotcha. But did he actually think Sera Gigglesquee Dragonage was a great gay character? From which poor bastard did he lift that particular take?

I agree that a lot of the bad takes probably aren't even his own bad gay takes (because lord knows there's a lot of them out there) but you know what else is 100% for sure his? All the stuff about American G.I.s turning gay because of the German aryan studmuffins because nobody else has said that ever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RPGs are also a dogshit name because all games require you to play a role. Immersive sim stuck not just because one influential person said it, but because it succinctly communicates the fundamental design principles of the genre, just as RPG does.

Other genre names that are dogshit include Heavy Metal - did you know it's not even a heavier version of Metal and just a progression of Rock? They don't even use heavy metals in their instruments.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

mycot posted:

I agree that a lot of the bad takes probably aren't even his own bad gay takes (because lord knows there's a lot of them out there) but you know what else is 100% for sure his? All the stuff about American G.I.s turning gay because of the German aryan studmuffins because nobody else has said that ever.

My fav take from that whole thing is that the Americans apparently were not envious of the Russian physique, because their soldiers were wearing thick coats and nobody could see their muscles

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Video games aren't real because they aren't made of video.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Saddest Rhino posted:

My fav take from that whole thing is that the Americans apparently were not envious of the Russian physique, because their soldiers were wearing thick coats and nobody could see their muscles

Also nobody was turning gay on the Pacific front, because I guess James isn't into Asian dudes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

His Pathologic video is one of my favorites because there is no way I would ever have the patience for that game but watching someone play it and explain all the interesting bits was very entertaining. A lot of youtubers have strong presentation styles but Hbomb is one of the best.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's wild to me that he lied about how Neil and Terry got together to write Good Omens when the story is so easily verifiable because interviews with Neil and Terry about how they got together to write Good Omens are in the back of every copy of Good Omens (or at least they are in the edition I have).

It's so easily fact-checkable, what even was the point about making up some other story about how they got together???

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Cut from the original video, Todd has one last really stupid thing James said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azIgg6hbYbM

I strongly dislike Forrest Gump, and always have, but to say that it's not remembered, as though multiple things didn't become memes and a restaurant named from the movie that has locations in multiple countries

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I got plenty in subzero winter sounds like a skill issue

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Garrand posted:

Cut from the original video, Todd has one last really stupid thing James said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azIgg6hbYbM

I strongly dislike Forrest Gump, and always have, but to say that it's not remembered, as though multiple things didn't become memes and a restaurant named from the movie that has locations in multiple countries
See this is one of the bad takes that I'm pretty sure is just hackery because "nobody remembers Forrest Gump compared to Pulp Fiction" is an old Cracked.com article

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

more like forgots gump

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
neil gayman

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've never seen a second of James Somerton before today but after seeing a single clip of him I hope that ridiculous turtleneck chokes the neckless gently caress.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
in other news here's a video about chocolate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nBlkk1210

been following this guy for a while, his content on precolumbian america is great and his puns are awful

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SCheeseman posted:

You're not wrong, polish of the game mechanics are often secondary. Deus Ex is a mess, but people love it in spite of that. Those grab bag of mechanics mesh into something better than the sum of it's parts, because of the choices they offer and how they build a story for your character. That's the ultimate point of these kinds of games, they're not really *games*, they're storytelling machines with stolen game mechanics bolted on.

"Immersion Sim" fans really are the most insane posters, god bless them.

They're just rpgs with lots of options. You don't have to try and make philosophical breakthrough that they're actually not the thing they clearly are because you like them a lot.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
fps with rpg mechanics

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ccs posted:

His Pathologic video is one of my favorites because there is no way I would ever have the patience for that game but watching someone play it and explain all the interesting bits was very entertaining. A lot of youtubers have strong presentation styles but Hbomb is one of the best.

If you liked his Pathologic video, do yourself a favor and watch Mandalore’s reviews of Pathologic and Pathologic 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeK36g92zjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7uKUgire7Y

I think those videos are a much more interesting look into the game(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ghostlight posted:

RPGs are also a dogshit name because all games require you to play a role. Immersive sim stuck not just because one influential person said it, but because it succinctly communicates the fundamental design principles of the genre, just as RPG does.

Other genre names that are dogshit include Heavy Metal - did you know it's not even a heavier version of Metal and just a progression of Rock? They don't even use heavy metals in their instruments.

Super Mario World is an RPG. You play the role of mario, and you have stats that do go up and even down! You also get to control your character build via your choice of equipment and party companion.