Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I skipped through the hbguy video and the main guy he rips apart seems absolutely insufferable. How did he get so big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I watched the first one two of the video last night and it's absolutely worth 90 mins of your life, going to watch the rest today.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Elissimpark posted:

*muffled voice from the kitchen*

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger!

Immanuel Kant via speakerphone: "Conquering ennui!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Immanuel Kant via speakerphone: "Conquering ennui!"

(sobbing) dad please don't refute Hume's empiricism

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I skipped through the hbguy video and the main guy he rips apart seems absolutely insufferable. How did he get so big?

Eating a lot of food.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Philippe posted:

Eating a lot of food.

Oh is that the Skibidi Avocado guy?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Evilreaver posted:

Hbomberguy
Vs
Plagiarizing baby

lmao

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Paladinus posted:

4 hours? In this attention economy?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I am one of hbomberguy's biggest fans so I sat down to watch the whole 4-hour thing the moment it showed up on my dashboard. I will say it's not his most entertaining work, but it is very important (academically speaking) and very well researched work.

His primary target of this video, James Somerton, was so thoroughly obliterated that I've heard that he has deleted all of his socials (or made them completely private) including his entire patreon. The man appears to have said goodbye on his discord, and then vanished from this Earth entirely, Poochie style

Hbomb's best work (imo) in an entertainment sense is the Roblox Oof video, or in an academic/social importance sense his Vaccines video wherein he lays out everything with the anti-vax movement (which is also pretty funny).

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

Hbomb's best work (imo) in an entertainment sense is the Roblox Oof video, or in an academic/social importance sense his Vaccines video wherein he lays out everything with the anti-vax movement (which is also pretty funny).

That last one sounds good but I’m still not going back onto YouTube after they served me nazi-level anti-trans propaganda ads

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

freeedr posted:

That last one sounds good but I’m still not going back onto YouTube after they served me nazi-level anti-trans propaganda ads

Grab yt-dlp and just rip videos you want sans ads and minimal interaction with yt itself / keeping an archived copy of stuff.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The Ublock Origin extension is available for your browser of choice and completely removes all YouTube ads

YouTube actively skirmished with ad blockers for a while like a month ago and Ublock came out on top (if the updates and counter-updates are still going, it appears [to me as a user at least] that Ublock is winning). By this I mean that some users were getting pop ups saying YouTube won't serve videos to people with ad blocking extensions... Until Ublock updated and now those are gone too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Are you using firefox? I had to switch over to ff for all my youtube poo poo because Ublock was most certainly not coming out on top more often than not. It's working now but that'll probably last a day and a half tops

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

freeedr posted:

Wth?

What was it? I'm blocking ads so ain't seeing that poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Youtube ads really are dire sometimes

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

use ublock and dont watch any loving internet persons videos

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Everybody is a content creator, but most people have the decency to flush after themselves.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChubbyChecker posted:

use ublock and dont watch any loving internet persons videos

I would have thought “uploads routinely to YouTube” to be a pretty decent definition of “internet person”

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I block ads, and try to not feed the algorithms any info on myself, so whenever an ad gets through it's the blandest faff ever, tailored to the broadest of the mainstream, which is terrifying in itself that that drivel apparently works on people, but I don't get fucken anti trans ads wth jesus gently caress

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Evilreaver posted:

Hbomberguy is a goddamn treasure. It's good to see that there's still a place for "here's a documentary outta nowhere" in a world overly driven by The Algorithm.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is hbomberguy the same person who made a 10-hour video about why Fallout 3 sucks? That was pretty entertaining

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Is hbomberguy the same person who made a 10-hour video about why Fallout 3 sucks? That was pretty entertaining

No, but close. hbomberguy made a reasonably-sized video about fallout 3 sucking. Then another (sane) youtuber, ManyATrueNerd, who does a lot of Fallout challenge runs (including Fallout 3), made a response to hbomberguy (longer than the original video) talking about why ManyATrueNerd didn't think Fallout 3 sucked, which was based on his own aesthetic appreciation and opinions (not a critical analysis) about Fallout 3. Then a third guy (not sane) made the ten hour response to ManyATrueNerd responding to hbomberguy, and it was ten hours long because it was an endless parade of screeching about ManyATrueNerd making logical fallacies and debate club poo poo like that when ManyATrueNerd is very much not an internet debate guy, just a video game guy who likes Bethesda games.

e: oh we were wrong the last guy in the chain was only EIGHT hours long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMhsmBGbIv0

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What I think is so funny about hbomberguy's latest video is that gimmicky youtube music critic Todd in the Shadows also released a video yesterday debunking James Somerton's lies, and his video is almost 2 hours, and it covers entirely different lies the same guy told.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Correct!

Its wild how the runtimes on these seem like it would be a colossal chore to watch, but once it gets going you realize that this is the tightly edited and well-paced version, there's just a lot of it. The cutting room floor of an average HBG video must be astronomical

Its actually to the point that he finished up the evidence for Illuminaughti's plagiarism (literally just shot-for-shot stealing/repackaging the netflix fyre festival documentary) and had enough edited content to make another video going over how bad she is at being an "essayist" which is going up separately, to not overshadow the main topic of "James Somerton is a thieving queer-creator-erasing piece of poo poo"

Baron von Eevl posted:

What I think is so funny about hbomberguy's latest video is that gimmicky youtube music critic Todd in the Shadows also released a video yesterday debunking James Somerton's lies, and his video is almost 2 hours, and it covers entirely different lies the same guy told.

I havent seen this one yet but "telling lies" also seems to include "spreading anti-queer neonazi propaganda as fact" which, uh, woof

Like getting suplexed by the world heavyweight champ, and before you even hit the mat theres another guy bringing in the steel chair

bawk has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Dec 4, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's truly hosed up, is that in the deluge of 'bisexually lit'* video essay youtubers who talk about media analysis interspersing it with AVGN-style sketches, somehow, one of the most popular creators was some dude whose attempts at theming the video according to the topic mainly amounted to having some funko pops out, while he drones in a monotone voice reading someone else's words. Internet Historian stole the article for his cave video but at least he (or his team, I don't know) did the funny** animation to go with it and asked his pals to do re-enact some dialogue, added jokes, etc. because he clearly at least really liked the story. Somerton, and I clicked through some of his re-uploaded vids to confirm, is the blandest and the most boring essayist I've ever seen who isn't even interested enough in the material he's stealing to do something with it. Maybe his marketing savviness that allowed him to exploit youtube's algorithms is to blame here to some extent, but his audience should also do some internal introspection about liking that low effort boring poo poo instead of using promocode PALADINUS*** on audible.com for a three-month trial, where they can listen to wonderful, well-researched books read by professional voice actors and authors on almost any topic. But hey, it's just a theory. A game theory!****

* Not my joke, see Hbomberguy's video, around the first hour somewhere, sorry, not going look up the exact time code
** Many people find it funny, I am being told online
*** All proceeds are going to my personal gamer cancer 'charity', thank you
**** Full credit for the catchphrase to SonicFan37 on youtube

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Feb 29, 2024

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m not going back onto youtube, ads blocked or not, because I’m not helping them get any numbers that they sell that adspace with. I know one person out of hundreds of millions makes zero difference, but it’s the principle. I’m kind of an internet shut-in anyway. I don’t use any social media except this site. I haven’t even seen most of the big sites on the internet like Reddit or TikTok or instagram. I really don’t need youtube either.

YouTube would have to ban all the hateful ads outright and come out with massive political action to the left and an apology for platforming dogshit before I would go back.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

And I’m aware that the odds youtube would do all those things I said are slightly lower than the odds of the sun growing a 93 million-mile-long human tongue that reaches down through the atmosphere and slurps my waiting rear end in a top hat as I sleep

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

freeedr posted:

I’m not going back onto youtube, ads blocked or not, because I’m not helping them get any numbers that they sell that adspace with. I know one person out of hundreds of millions makes zero difference, but it’s the principle. I’m kind of an internet shut-in anyway. I don’t use any social media except this site. I haven’t even seen most of the big sites on the internet like Reddit or TikTok or instagram. I really don’t need youtube either.

YouTube would have to ban all the hateful ads outright and come out with massive political action to the left and an apology for platforming dogshit before I would go back.

Denied.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Paladinus posted:

* Not my joke, see Hbomberguy's video, around the first hour somewhere, sorry, not going look up the exact time code

The bisexual lighting wasn't his joke either, it's been a thing for awhile now.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

freeedr posted:

And I’m aware that the odds youtube would do all those things I said are slightly lower than the odds of the sun growing a 93 million-mile-long human tongue that reaches down through the atmosphere and slurps my waiting rear end in a top hat as I sleep

uncover your rear end and let it hang over the bed and the monster will do it

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

Whoa whoa whoa

not falling for that one again

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Arivia posted:

e: oh we were wrong the last guy in the chain was only EIGHT hours long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMhsmBGbIv0

You know that this means.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ChubbyChecker posted:

look, I thought we already talked about this and you agreed to stop referring to yourself as "the monster".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

You know that this means.

No. What does it mean?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Arivia posted:

No. What does it mean?

BRING IT IN GUYS! *tommy tallarico, james somerton, sargon of akkad and all the other people burned by hbomberguy come in for a HUGE party*

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:rms2: Serious Hardware/Software Crap › Won't stay logged in :rms2:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arivia posted:

No. What does it mean?

someone is currently producing a 10+ hour reply to the reply to the reply labeled "Fallout 3 isn't NOT better than you think," c'mon

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So there’s Ranma. And then there’s Ranma 2, which is not a sequel it’s its own continuity. So Ranma One 2.is the direct sequel to the first Ranma aka Ranma 1. Ranma Begins is a prequel to Ranma 2. Ranma (2009) is the live-action reboot most people prefer to ignore…

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I prefer instant Ranma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bawk posted:

Also included a huge list of queer video creators to follow on youtube!

Besides, it's only 4 hours, all the proceeds go to people wronged by the rear end in a top hat who got their "career" assassinated.

A big part of what I respect about how he finished the video is that list of queer creators. Hbomberguy gets pretty massive viewer numbers, so linking other creators in the space is a public service.

He also completely bodied some now-notorious plagiarists, so he also has that going for him.