Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

A million years ago I had a crunchy roll account and recently they decided I needed marketing emails 3x a day so I clicked unsubscribe and the page is loving broken and won't unsubscribe me from poo poo

You can forward those to the FTC at spam@uce.gov or report it at https://www.ftc.gov/complaint to get them fined up to $50k per email for not having a valid unsubscribe link

e: assuming they're actually marketing emails covered by the CAN-SPAM act and not one of the allowed email types (e.g. they're allowed to notify you about changes to their ToS)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Salt Fish posted:

And you can't think of any downsides or other applications for this technology that might not be worth skipping the checkout?

It’s way faster than going to a counter and standing in line, the only downside is that it’s a gamble whether the hot dog you get is going to be a just cooked one or one that has been sitting out all day. If you’re talking about having my movements analyzed by a shitload of cameras? I genuinely don’t give a poo poo, there are probably more cameras in the stadium itself doing some sort of bullshit terrorist detection analytics (read: racism)

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

skooma512 posted:

That's what a VPN is for. 10 years ago I'd only get these if I tried to get something that was from HBO or something, it's more common now. As long as you present an IP address that isn't yours, no more letters and no enforcement actions.

I've been using a seed box. I get 6TB of storage, I don't need to manage my own bandwidth and theres no risk from my ISP. Theres no need for a VPN and I don't have to keep my computer running to seed files for trackers that care about that. It's great.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I haven’t gotten an isp letter since torrents were invented most because I don’t torrent.

Get a years worth of Usenet for 30 bucks around black Friday, donate 5-10 bucks to an indexer for a lifetime subscription, and download sonarr and radarr.

Please just stop using torrents it’s a bad protocol invented for bad things. Much like self checkout

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
It's been a real long time since I've used Usenet so maybe it got better but it used to be a huge PITA. Searching for anything was an annoyance and it was super common for files to be incomplete. Torrents aren't ideal but at least it's usually just the one movie file and not 60000 rar files oh and 3 are missing so it won't unrar.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've been using a seed box. I get 6TB of storage, I don't need to manage my own bandwidth and theres no risk from my ISP. Theres no need for a VPN and I don't have to keep my computer running to seed files for trackers that care about that. It's great.

How much does this cost per month? I pay 5 bucks for mullvad VPN, but I also don't have any private tracker memberships anymore so seeding isn't a priority ATM.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

skooma512 posted:

How much does this cost per month? I pay 5 bucks for mullvad VPN, but I also don't have any private tracker memberships anymore so seeding isn't a priority ATM.

I pay 22/mo but do need to seed and the storage is a great part of the deal. If you don't need either, the VPN is probably a better deal. I started using a seed box because my partner at the time hated having the computer running all the time and I just stuck with it because it works well for what I'm doing.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

I worked nights before and through COVID and I'm a night person anyway so I kinda just resigned to the fact that self-checkout was my future a long time ago and didn't care; half the time I can punch TOMATO or BROCCOLI into the lookup just as fast as it takes a cashier to look up the code in their book if they don't have it memorized, and I know how to bag groceries. All I want is to have a better system than, "treat me like a criminal, press a call button that may or may not work, then wait for 15 minutes while one of the three people working responds to unlock 3 different cages because I need to buy shampoo, body wash and toothpaste, then takes all that stuff to the self-checkout so it turns into a negotiation over which contraband is mine, also it's just simply not allowed after 8PM." Preferably one that isn't "drive 10+ miles across town to go shop at a rich white people version of the same Kroger."

To me even worse than this is that many less-lovely grocery products are simply not available in poor people grocery stores. The huge selection of Private Selection spices as the Stonebridge Kroger are completely absent from the one in Raleigh. Want actual Parmigiano or Romano cheese in Raleigh? :rubby:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

shazbot posted:

I haven’t gotten an isp letter since torrents were invented most because I don’t torrent.

Get a years worth of Usenet for 30 bucks around black Friday, donate 5-10 bucks to an indexer for a lifetime subscription, and download sonarr and radarr.

Please just stop using torrents it’s a bad protocol invented for bad things. Much like self checkout

You're not wrong, but calling torrents a bad protocol is a huge lol: NNTP is hilariously terrible for transferring binary data, and pars/yenc/uuencode/base64 is the nightmare result of that. The only reason it remains in use is the legacy fig leaf of usenet providers being considered ISPs under the DMCA.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

You're not wrong, but calling torrents a bad protocol is a huge lol: NNTP is hilariously terrible for transferring binary data, and pars/yenc/uuencode/base64 is the nightmare result of that. The only reason it remains in use is the legacy fig leaf of usenet providers being considered ISPs under the DMCA.

Oh lol no you are absolutely right on that account. I was more meta posting about ratios, and peers, and getting Rick rolled and what have you.

But some macguyver protocol that’s been grandfathered into “oh, no, we don’t need to worry about that” is definitely the way to go.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Rochallor posted:

Can't seem to find a source but I recall from back in the day that media companies were able to sue torrenters for huge amounts of money based on the premise that they were seeding pirated material to hundreds or thousands of people. So it's not that direct downloads are legal, it's that they could only sue you for $15 or whatever the cost of the DVD is and that's a complete waste of time.

Can they even track direct downloads? Like, in Germany torrenting is potentially a huge risk because there are some law firms that camp public trackers and if they see your IP downloading something they'll send you a fine for like 3000 euros or whatever. However, they don't do poo poo if you illegally stream something or just directly download it, and I assumed that was simply because it's harder to determine if you're doing that. Surely they'd be able to get the ISP to fork over that information if it was readily available, but I don't know if that's how it works

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kit Walker posted:

Can they even track direct downloads? Like, in Germany torrenting is potentially a huge risk because there are some law firms that camp public trackers and if they see your IP downloading something they'll send you a fine for like 3000 euros or whatever. However, they don't do poo poo if you illegally stream something or just directly download it, and I assumed that was simply because it's harder to determine if you're doing that. Surely they'd be able to get the ISP to fork over that information if it was readily available, but I don't know if that's how it works

This is a consequence of how torrents work. If someone adds their computer to the swarm they can see your computer connect to them for uploading/downloading. In contrast if you directly download content from a server only you and the server operator have a direct simple record of what you downloaded.

Security is a sliding scale not an absolute. If the CIA wants to know what you're doing on the internet they're going to find out; it doesn't matter what VPN you use. However, if the MPAA wants to find out what you're downloading their toolset is a lot more limited. Torrenting on a public tracker is so insecure that even the MPAA can figure it out, but the direct download would require the police/warrent/etc in advance of you getting in trouble, and whos going to bother with that?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

YouTube has been recommending worse and worse videos so I finally deleted my entire viewing history to make a fresh start.

The terrible videos immediately got ten times worse. I thought my recommendations were messed up but they were actually holding back the sludge.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

wash bucket posted:

YouTube has been recommending worse and worse videos so I finally deleted my entire viewing history to make a fresh start.

The terrible videos immediately got ten times worse. I thought my recommendations were messed up but they were actually holding back the sludge.

YouTube has gotten way, way, way worse in general the last few years

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, the first thing I see when I turn on the TV app is a sticky ad for some weird church. They must be paying a fortune to yt.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I made a post in another thread about people who complain about self checkouts and was roundly dismissed for making up a strawman but these people exist!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Their dream is this shopping experience:

The Customer walks into a store and are confronted by several humans coming up to them, asking if The Customer needs help.

The Customer engages the services of one of these humans who then walks around with The Customer; helping them find things and take items off the shelf, while having an in depth conversation with The Customer about The Customer's life.

After this The Customer takes these items to the checkout where another human scans all the items for them, while having an in depth conversation with The Customer about The Customer's life.

While the items are being scanned, another human puts them in bags. Specifically, single-use bags provided by the store.

Once the items are scanned and The Customer has paid for everything and received a heartfelt thank-you from the cashier for their business, the human who bagged The Customer's items puts them into their cart, pushes The Customer's cart to their large SUV, and unloads those bags into the SUV for them, all while having an in depth conversation with The Customer about The Customer's life.

Afterwards this human smiles widely and gives The Customer a heartfelt thank-you for their business, then returns to the store, where they presumably live.

The Customer starts up their vast, boatlike SUV, and navigates it to the exit of the parking lot, bathed in the warm sunlight of God thanking them for their business.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Self checkout is bad because using computers is bad. The end

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't know why but I was thinking "I wonder if any alt-right redditors have issued redubbed Rick and Morty season 7 episodes using an AI Justin Roiland voice" and I googled it and yes they have.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

People complain about what what a hell customer service is and that nobody should have to do it. We got what we wished for as far as I'm concerned.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I made a post in another thread about people who complain about self checkouts and was roundly dismissed for making up a strawman but these people exist!!

Thanks for bringing it here too

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Should I not use a free VPN?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Vpns cost money to run, especially if they have high throughput/traffic. You're paying for it somehow, you should probably figure out how

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

iirc in the US, auto parts stores and shoe stores are the last vestige of stuff being behind the counter and you gotta tell someone what you want and they go in the back to pull it from inventory, which is imo the correct right holy and just method of brick and mortar shopping, and automation efforts should be seeking to emulate that experience rather than the sixty or some odd year old supermarket style arrangement that's become the default

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also have the robot write my name and total down in a big credit ledger book and i pay when the total owed reaches a nice convenient round number

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sentient Data posted:

Vpns cost money to run, especially if they have high throughput/traffic. You're paying for it somehow, you should probably figure out how

Free ones also like to restrict torrent traffic.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Cactus Ghost posted:

iirc in the US, auto parts stores and shoe stores are the last vestige of stuff being behind the counter and you gotta tell someone what you want and they go in the back to pull it from inventory, which is imo the correct right holy and just method of brick and mortar shopping, and automation efforts should be seeking to emulate that experience rather than the sixty or some odd year old supermarket style arrangement that's become the default
Purchasing a bunch of stuff at a huge industrial supply store is really satisfying, because it kinda feels like sending someone on a quest.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Purchasing a bunch of stuff at a huge industrial supply store is really satisfying, because it kinda feels like sending someone on a quest.

You mean like when you have to get a large amount of foam?

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I was personally thinking of electrical stuff, but a huge quantity of foam would be great.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Outrail posted:

There's a certain demographic who sees this as the deep state trying to sheeplize the populace and will resist it at all costs (until its personal inconvenient).

they're enslaved to a car note, gas, insurance, and maintenance, they're already sheeple

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
This could be a fluke, but YouTube is showing me more than 6 results again. Ads and shorts and stuff are still baked in there but now it goes from "previously watched" back to actual results for my search going endlessly, instead of just pure algorithm poo poo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It's been a real long time since I've used Usenet so maybe it got better but it used to be a huge PITA. Searching for anything was an annoyance and it was super common for files to be incomplete. Torrents aren't ideal but at least it's usually just the one movie file and not 60000 rar files oh and 3 are missing so it won't unrar.

Yeah old usenet is pretty much a completely different beast from modern usenet. Instead of .torrent you're downloading .nzb instead of trackers they're indexers, instead of paying for vpn and maybe a seedbox, you're paying for a newsgroup/private indexers. Big named popular shows will get taken down, but they get uploaded frequently enough and have enough indexers that if you're using a download file manager such as Sonarr/Radarr it'll catch it.

The applications deal with checking and finding a new nbz if the one you have has missing chunks on the newsgroup you're using.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Should I not use a free VPN?

Free VPNs are usually not 'real' VPNs - usually, it's just routing traffic through other free users instead of hosting their own end points to bounce traffic off of. So, while you are getting 'free' service, you are also acting as a routing point for other users on the VPN network which can be Extremely Bad, depending on the circumstance.

So yeah, I'd stay far away from anything that markets it as a free VPN.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

They are one of the most likely to be a CIA front. It has received funding from Charles River Ventures and is supported by FONGIT (the Fondation Genevoise pour l'Innovation Technologique) and the European Commission.

well, poop.

Salt Fish posted:

The CIA isn't going to snitch on you for torrenting Breaking Bad.

doesn't mean i want to send em money

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Salt Fish posted:

This is a consequence of how torrents work. If someone adds their computer to the swarm they can see your computer connect to them for uploading/downloading. In contrast if you directly download content from a server only you and the server operator have a direct simple record of what you downloaded.

Security is a sliding scale not an absolute. If the CIA wants to know what you're doing on the internet they're going to find out; it doesn't matter what VPN you use. However, if the MPAA wants to find out what you're downloading their toolset is a lot more limited. Torrenting on a public tracker is so insecure that even the MPAA can figure it out, but the direct download would require the police/warrent/etc in advance of you getting in trouble, and whos going to bother with that?

Cool, that makes sense. I will continue committing crimes in a way that no one really gives a poo poo about. Probably should get a VPN one of these days

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

If you want to be extra paranoid some vpn providers let you buy codes. I use Mullvad https://www.amazon.com/Mullvad-VPN-...73-0e5c1a776d5d it has a mole with a helmet. Use to use Surf Shark but canceling involved making a support ticket, and while they didn't jerk me around that is a lovely way to run your business.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 5, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I've never used a vpn and I haven't been arrested yet

I attribute this to not living in the US

Was in the news in Finland of people who had torrented stuff got sent claims for like 500€ from law firms. It was left unclear as to how legal it was and the people caught were fighting it. But I'd rather not deal with it. I use Mullvad now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

credburn posted:

I rarely pirate anything but occasionally I have. My ex said any time she ever tried, she'd get an e-mail from her ISP basically saying "SAW THAT! Don't do that again!" but I never have. Maybe she did it way more than she let on?

I pirate so much, but my ISP doesn't care at all. Local (previously municipally-run, now owned (at least in part) by some private company that owns a few other small, local ISPs) fiber, and tey also don't monitor traffic at all.

Honestly, because it's been owned by a private company for so many years now, I keep expecting it to get worse, but...it hasn't. Granted, I know that part of the contract they had to abide to when they took it over was no price increases, speed decreases, etc... for X years, but I'm pretty sure they're past that point. I pay $55/month for dedicated 150 Mbps symmetrical service... if I wanted 1 Gbps, it would only be $70. It looks like they've also recently offered a 300 Mbps plan for $65. I've never felt like my ISP was my chokepoint at just150, so I've never felt a need to upgrade. It's been $55 for the 150 plan for over ten years, I do expect to get a letter one day saying it's going to $80/month for a 10 Mbps plan or something, but fingers crossed hasn't happened yet.

https://twitter.com/bubblegumoctopu/status/1731568478505611419

Another result of retailers opening up their online storefronts to third-party sellers.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Always a treat when people who have never had to use a generator panic about a completely normal piece of equipment being sold

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Always a treat when people who have never had to use a generator panic about a completely normal piece of equipment being sold

There are much better and safer ways to hook up a generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://twitter.com/bubblegumoctopu/status/1731568478505611419

Another result of retailers opening up their online storefronts to third-party sellers.

How is this an instant death cable?