Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

Hey war knowers

How come no one talks about the f22 anymore? What happened there? Seems like updates of f15 and f16 are still getting play?

Don't make em. Can't sell em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

here's another book-posting tip (that I learned from TikTok of all places)

i use keep.google.com for my notes (kinda crap tbh) but something they've got built into it is grabbing text from images. works on desktop too.

if you use modern android phone, it's built into the OS when you do the equivalent of 'alt-tab', you can just select all the text. i've been relying on it since the Google Now days.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

here's another book-posting tip (that I learned from TikTok of all places)

let's say you have a PDF, but the text isn't OCR/selectable, like the Voroshilov lectures:

open up the Snipping Tool that comes with Windows:

and click on New or WINDOWS-SHIFT-S, and select the text

then click on this button, labeled "Text Actions"

it'll use "AI" to scan the snip for text, and then you'll get a further two buttons to select from. Click the one on the left, "Copy all text"

and the scanned text will be copied over to your clipboard:

you might need to clean it up some for spacing:

but that's just about a perfect text extract from the book, even when the scan is at an odd angle

new versions of ios have a built in “copy text from screenshots” button too and its genuinely useful

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

it'll use "AI" to scan the snip for text, and then you'll get a further two buttons to select from. Click the one on the left, "Copy all text"

The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

If America ends up invading Venezuela or Mexico or anywhere else in the Americas and it turns into a quagmire then there is a small chance of disaffected officers or soldiers marching back to Washington, which is probably why previous administrations never risked it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Washington DC is actually kind of a difficult, logistically speaking,target to do a military coup iirc.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

PawParole posted:

If America ends up invading Venezuela or Mexico or anywhere else in the Americas and it turns into a quagmire then there is a small chance of disaffected officers or soldiers marching back to Washington, which is probably why previous administrations never risked it.

Lol at fighting in the Northern Andes. "What if Vietnam, but also mountains?"

(not to mention a whole military specifically oriented to a people's war strategy against the USA)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thinking of Stanley McChrystal trying to do a Bonus Army

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Blockade posted:

lol check out the new super soldier grift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVO4SJqIIIw

Why do you insist that the human genetic code is "sacred" or "taboo"? It is a chemical process and nothing more. For that matter -we- are chemical processes and nothing more. If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled yourself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sullat posted:

Why do you insist that the human genetic code is "sacred" or "taboo"? It is a chemical process and nothing more. For that matter -we- are chemical processes and nothing more. If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled yourself.

Chairman Yang Gang!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

sullat posted:

this post is wearing a fedora

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Centrist Committee posted:

Man has killed man from the beginning of time, and each new frontier has brought new ways and new places to die. Why should the future be different?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. As our collective consciousness expands beyond a crucial point, we are at last ready to accept life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
The Warrior's bland acronym, MMI, obscures the true horror of this monstrosity. Its inventors promise a new era of genius, but meanwhile unscrupulous power brokers use its forcible installation to violate the sanctity of unwilling human minds. They are creating their own private army of demons.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sullat posted:

What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective.

zetamind2000 has issued a correction as of 07:54 on Dec 5, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Nonsense posted:

Now that Kissinger, like Bismarck, has passed, war can begin!

Well there's still some damned foolish thing brewing in the Balkans.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's not "materialism" to reduce warfighting to a production plan while being ignorant of things like ideology and political economy. the US couldn't, and still doesn't, recognize that bombing everything into dust doesn't cause a Douhet-ian impulse to overthrow the current government just to make the bombing stop, and neither does "body count" matter to an enemy that's fighting for national liberation

yes, it's nominally good and productive to have a way to mathematically determine how much firepower you'd need to take out any one target, under certain conditions. what isn't being answered is whether why you'd want to target it, and whether it advances your goals to do so.

It's a communist vs capitalist thing.

A communist applies mathematics and formulas to understand reality, in the hopes of achieving material results.

A capitalist applies mathematics and formulas to obfuscate reality, in the hopes of achieving money.

It's deeply ingrained and cannot be easily overcome. If you put a car company CEO in charge of a war, they will run it like a car company. Otherwise you wouldn't have chosen a car company CEO!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

It's not Earth's final century. Just the final century for one particular empire.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.

Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are trampling the garden of an angry God and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

did AC have a proper sci-fi novelist writing those? They were so much better than what you see in most games

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FuzzySlippers posted:

did AC have a proper sci-fi novelist writing those? They were so much better than what you see in most games

The designers were supposedly just really into scifi and just read a lot and incorporated it into the game.

We are never going to get a proper sequel to Disco Elysium either.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

FuzzySlippers posted:

don’t think so, but I still lol at the fact crytek got Peter watts - blindsight guy - to write the story for the intensely mid crysis sequels.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

He didn't write much of a story either.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

There were some interesting parts there, I liked the idea of "How many times have you been shot and blown up since you put on the nanosuit? You are essentially dead at this point in case you didn't realise. You can never take the suit off, in fact you are the suit now, good luck with that." C1 will always be the best though, purely for being a better sandbox.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah the book created the whole nanosuit transhumanism plot, which the game only barely touches right at the end with Prophet coming back. But there wasn't really a story story to go along with it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Brian Reynolds was an enthusiast at the time and he came up with the idea for the quotes to be narrative elements, rather than just a clever descriptive thingie.

I think that just by the fact of dealing actively with ideology pushes the writing to be better, even in the rudimentary form it is in the game.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think the guy who wrote them, Brian Reynolds, was the one competent writer at firaxis bc as soon as he left their writing went to poo poo. it doesn’t usually matter bc it just manifests as very uninspired civ tech quotes but whenever they make something that requires world building like xcom or that beyond earth it’s extremely noticeable

xcom 2 with an Alpha Centauri level treatment of the premise of a guerilla war against aliens would have been so cool.
instead we got factions like the human supremacists who eat aliens and have no other characterization

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It is a real shame about Disc Elysium because while I don't think that game needed a sequel the setting they created was interesting and worth exploring. It made me think of a more coherent Bas-Lag. Maybe in 20 years the original creators can get back permission to use the setting like the SC2 devs.

It is possible Watts wrote a lot of stuff that didn't get into Crysis 2 or 3. Like Destiny had a bunch of scifi writers come in and develop their lore, including an SA local writer, and wrote tons of interesting content. Then the lead devs threw out or ignored a lot of it so they could chase dumb ideas they had. I remember Pratchett's daughter, who writes for games, complaining about how so often the carefully crafted text they write gets tossed out and mangled by lead devs wanting to do cool set pieces inspired by some other game or movie even if they make no sense.

Peak Civ quotes was 4 with Leonard Nimoy which had some awesome quotes along with the inspired Beep which I used as a notification noise for years. I remember 5 was okay but the 6 quotes were truly awful. I think the Civ 2 wonder video for the UN is actually the most positive depiction of the UN I've ever seen lol.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I think the guy who wrote them, Brian Reynolds, was the one competent writer at firaxis bc as soon as he left their writing went to poo poo. it doesn’t usually matter bc it just manifests as very uninspired civ tech quotes but whenever they make something that requires world building like xcom or that beyond earth it’s extremely noticeable

xcom 2 with an Alpha Centauri level treatment of the premise of a guerilla war against aliens would have been so cool.
instead we got factions like the human supremacists who eat aliens and have no other characterization

we were robbed of marxist guerilla xcom2. farc, the naxalites, the ndfp

Hatebag has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Dec 6, 2023

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hatebag posted:

get me the programmers and I write the everliving poo poo out of backstory worldbuilding and plot of this

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

FuzzySlippers posted:

It is possible Watts wrote a lot of stuff that didn't get into Crysis 2 or 3.

Crysis 2 was mostly written by Richard Morgan, the altered carbon guy who wrote books about people swapping bodies then turned out to be a transphobe.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Hatebag posted:

in the first one there’s a mission where xcom kidnaps an anti xcom politician and is implied to disappear him to a black site or something while in xcom 2 xcom basically uses IRA type tactics but there’s zero follow up on either, not even safe “wow violence is bad” liberal stuff

like there’s just zero mention of it at all bc firaxis can’t do any kind of world building or writing

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Has any game ever done insurgent warfare particularly well either from a narrative or gameplay perspective? Games, like Hollywood movies, have always been a lot more comfortable with CI.

I remember there's space rear end in a top hat Red Faction Guerilla which at least has a lot of infrastructure destruction. I don't recall narratively in JA2 whether you were helping the CIA support the noble contras kind of crap or not, but gameplay wise I recall it was a lot of mowing down endless grunts as the a-team rather than managing an insurgency. Sometimes in games you play a metal gear solid spy kind of thing, but I don't really think that's an insurgent.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1731765278848045144

china be testing combination uav+mlrs tubes

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

it’ll never beat a real MAN up there on the joystick bro!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Has any game ever done insurgent warfare particularly well either from a narrative or gameplay perspective? Games, like Hollywood movies, have always been a lot more comfortable with CI.

I remember there's space rear end in a top hat Red Faction Guerilla which at least has a lot of infrastructure destruction. I don't recall narratively in JA2 whether you were helping the CIA support the noble contras kind of crap or not, but gameplay wise I recall it was a lot of mowing down endless grunts as the a-team rather than managing an insurgency. Sometimes in games you play a metal gear solid spy kind of thing, but I don't really think that's an insurgent.

The OFP: Resistance campaign probably comes the closest.

Freedom Fighters was thematically guerillas but in practice it was just another shooter, same with the likes of Far Cry 6.