Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
On the positive side, the LCG feels like it runs at triple to quadruple the speed of any previous Files game besides Elder Sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like Doomed is terrible game design-wise, but is perfect thematically. This is Arkham Horror, after all. Is it really supposed to feel fair? Doomed is terrifying exactly because there's nothing you can do about it. (except Ikiaq). You ARE going to die. You can't fight it. You can't even really forestall it. Doesn't that capture the feel of the mythos perfectly?

Also, Ikiaq only works against the basic Doomed, not Accursed Fate or The Bell Tolls. Isn't that funny?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I guess I wasn't super mad personally. One of the other players was kind enough to warn me of the end of the chain before I got there so I knew where it was going before having to cycle in the final card.
And I actually enjoyed the final few rounds with it, it was quite fun/tense knowing the card was there and I could draw it at any time. Couple of time were very close with deck searches then I actually got it on an Elder Sign card draw with Body of a Yithian after an important skill test.

Would I run it again? No. I think we had our fun with it, we got he novelty and the surprise. The other players really didn't enjoy it, they understandable felt like they'd just been left for the rest of the scenario and it was a bit bullshit.
I do love the theme of it and I'm sure we'll all remember the time Ursula Downs died in that cave with her eyes rolled back in her head and personally I think that's better than having every single weakness be perfectly balanced, building perfect decks and steamrolling every scenario.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Impermanent posted:

Stella is probably one of the most thematic investigators to Kramer into a campaign halfway through, too. But it's a bit that only really lands once. After that you're just transitioning to a really strong investigator after yours dies as a reliable play pattern.

We play from only my collection (on account of nobody else having one). My biggest deckbuilding challenge is to build 3 or 4 investigator decks that are reasonable strong, fun to play, work well together AND have a minimum overlap in cards so we don't have to proxy too much. Having to switch investigators mid campaign is not an option in those circumstances.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Mystics have more options than just Ikiaq, though Ikiaq is the hardest counter to it. They have options on how to locate it in their deck (Alyssa Graham, Scrying, situationally Astronomical Atlas and Time Warp, or depending on your memory, Time Warp and a card that lets you search your entire deck) and then to cancel it or discard it from their deck (Foresight, Scroll of Secrets). Honestly I would use another combo than Ikiaq because they are cheaper XP-wise, and if you can get Doomed to whiff four times then it stops being a threat and you can basically ignore it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

We play from only my collection (on account of nobody else having one). My biggest deckbuilding challenge is to build 3 or 4 investigator decks that are reasonable strong, fun to play, work well together AND have a minimum overlap in cards so we don't have to proxy too much. Having to switch investigators mid campaign is not an option in those circumstances.
I agree, my post wasn't an endorsement of that idea. More that it's cute to transition to Stella but it's not really good for the game for this kind of play pattern to exist

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I really disagree with this consensus about Doomed! But not in the sense that I'm against people taking it out of their pools if they think it sucks.

For me, though, it's cool that the range of random weaknesses is so wide and unmanageable. Building so that I cycle my deck less where possible, or invest in ways to not draw my weakness, or in the worst case accepting the challenge of having to do the last bit of a campaign with no-to-low xp, are all cool challenges that I'm glad are available.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Someone made a really interesting custom permanent.
Campaign only: You can treat the auto fail as the elder sign, but you can’t gain any experience.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Garbage for most investigators. All investigators?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just a different challenge.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I might buy it before the last mission, but I can’t imagine taking it under other circumstances. Normally we’re risking a mission to earn an extra one XP, so losing the entire mission’s XP for a little bit of efficiency just isn’t worth it.

Maybe if it was 2XP, myriad, exile, or something like that.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Could be fun to take on someone with Mystic access. I've been playing Diana in a campaign and she gets a lot of use out of "reveal X tokens instead of 1" cards due to her passive. Stuff like Dark Prophecy, Olive Mcbride, etc. Her Elder Sign ability is super useful so doubling up on your chances to get it might be worth it later on in the campaign.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ubik_Lives posted:

I might buy it before the last mission, but I can’t imagine taking it under other circumstances. Normally we’re risking a mission to earn an extra one XP, so losing the entire mission’s XP for a little bit of efficiency just isn’t worth it.

Maybe if it was 2XP, myriad, exile, or something like that.

Oh yeah it's an autobuy before the last scenario. Which also makes it garbage design.

Mystics, next to Rogues, are the biggest XP hogs though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The Scarlet Keys campaign is $40 on Amazon right now, which is the lowest I have seen a new-format campaign go for.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

New card revealed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8P8VXrL0Fs

Ancestral Token: 3 cost accessory, 1 willpower icon, 2 sanity, After you defeat an enemy, exhaust Ancestral Token: Add Bless tokens to the chaos bag equal to the enemy's printed health (max 5).

Much better source of bless tokens than previous guardian cards, especially at higher player counts where you can spend more time slaying monsters.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
And the other reveal:

People point out you could use this on Empirical Hypothesis, which seems powerful even on its own.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lol, the art on Fine Tuning is trash.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Seems like one where they use an FFG employee.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Gooniest card in the game so far.

Very interesting effect tho! Obviously great in Wilson and probably Kate, but there's a few rogues with seeker access who'd love to recharge some tools

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yes, but what can Lola recharge with it?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Impermanent posted:

Gooniest card in the game so far.

Very interesting effect tho! Obviously great in Wilson and probably Kate, but there's a few rogues with seeker access who'd love to recharge some tools

2x use lockpicks for Trish!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Yes, but what can Lola recharge with it?
On the one hand Strange Solution (Unidentified)
On the other hand First Aid (3)
neither exhaust, so not so much good for Science!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

She could fine tune the Mariner's Compass?

I hope there's a silly play involving tuning the upgraded Magnifying Glass.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Lola would need the target card to be a seeker or neutral asset, otherwise she’ll be in the wrong class to trigger Fine Tuning.

Always remember Lola’s golden rule: If it sounds fun, Lola can’t do it.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Ubik_Lives posted:

Lola would need the target card to be a seeker or neutral asset, otherwise she’ll be in the wrong class to trigger Fine Tuning.

Always remember Lola’s golden rule: If it sounds fun, Lola can’t do it.

6-damage from a single Gang Up sounds pretty fun.

I tried to come up with a way for Lola to recur Gang Up, but it's not level 0, not a survivor card, not innate, not an item, and not a spell, so the only way I could think of to recur it is Shrine of the Moirai. Which has its own set of difficulties because normally with Shrine of the Moirai you want to play the thing you want to recur and then play Shrine of the Moirai immediately and recur it (since you might need to move later), but they are different classes and if you're fighting a really big boss that 6 damage won't kill on its own, you'll take an attack of opportunity playing it. Any tips?

The other idea I had for Lola was to stack Dark Horse, Crystalline Elder Sign, and Geas to have Really High Stats.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
You could try Boxing Gloves to find it quickly and Quantum Flux to get it shuffled back into your deck. However I’d only do that with taboo’d Lola, because her original weaknesses are so rough I wouldn’t want them being recurred as well.

It’s the eternal frustration of Lola that you want to make all of these cross class combos, but not only can she never execute them properly, there’s always another investigator who can while also getting their own character buff. So you just end up going for the high stat line play, without access to high level toys.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 8, 2023

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Her gimmick never found stride. Maybe redefine it.
Say she can't have more than one card of any color represented at a time in play. Nor play more than one of each color per round. Cherry pick the same deck staples and you have a boring actress. Go for funky synergies and you have created a versatile actress.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

People have given her really elaborate remakes, but the starting point is making her 7/7.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm looking forwards to building a Joe Diamond deck around all the new cards in Hemlock Vale. He can pick up all the fancy new Science tools and cards, and he benefits from the lower-level Guardian Tool support cards. A lot of the events are Insight-traited too, so they can go into his Hunch deck.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

New card spoiler from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtsaoqcFg8o

Unlimited +2 investigate in an accessory slot seems pretty strong. Getting an extra clue is just gravy. I havent played a lot with curse so I'm not entirely sure how to evaluate this

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Just what seekers need, more ways to get clues.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s two XP, although seekers don’t really have much for the accessory slot. but without Mystic token manipulation or favor of the moon, it’s going to be tricky to get that curse reliably.

Intriguingly, another item that works with the lab coat, which cares about seeker tests.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

neosloth posted:

I havent played a lot with curse so I'm not entirely sure how to evaluate this

Arkham devs constantly overvalue the strength of curses and blesses, so any card that adds curse as a cost is OP and any card that adds blesses as a benefit is weak. This seems loving bonkers to me.

2-3 curses every round is a a fair bit, so I wouldn't run this without some amount of curse synergy. But if you just tack on Blasphemous Covenant and the other characters have some curse synergy too, then it seems like this becomes very strong very fast. Especially since it's so cheap - you can slap it and some magnifying glasses down asap without worrying about money and turn any seeker 0-2+ with 4+ base book into a goddamn powerhouse with 4 xp and very little effort.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This is a fun card:

There's also this one from a few days ago, which seems particularly good with trauma.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Is that how we’re going to spell “succeed” in 2024, fantasy flight?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
You only get a clue if you suc for it.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Kalko posted:

This is a fun card:

There's also this one from a few days ago, which seems particularly good with trauma.

That second card is oddly phrased as most cards quote the effect against all enemies, then quote the exception to elite enemies. This one does the opposite. Have other cards done this? While I don't think it does, since there are only elite and non elite enemies, does this have any mechanical effect quoting this way around?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

kaffo posted:

That second card is oddly phrased as most cards quote the effect against all enemies, then quote the exception to elite enemies. This one does the opposite. Have other cards done this? While I don't think it does, since there are only elite and non elite enemies, does this have any mechanical effect quoting this way around?

This phrasing is pretty normal; compare Spectral Razor, for example.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Don't you think Spectral Razor is kind of overtuned? Compare it to Blinding Light, One-two Punch and Backstab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I like the design idea behind Fake Credentials, but the execution seems so restrictive. It can help bypass high shroud locations, but it takes a hand slot, exhausts, needs an enemy, gets one clue, and has a limited effectiveness for shroud bypass as the test difficulty increases. It also tests in the same skill as normally investigating, which is not a common skill for rogues.

I mean it also lets you get the clue while in combat I guess, but that doesn’t really enable much when compared to dealing with the enemy first, then getting the clue.

At least with Enchanted Armour which had a similar increasing difficulty test, there was always a benefit to keep passing the test, even as it would need increasingly more skill cards, lucky draws, and potentially bless tokens to pass. It would be nice if Fake Credentials did something else as well, like exhausting or moving the enemy, or on success you could also discard it to get the suspicion as resources to add a little gambling element to the card. As it is, I struggle to see how it would be picked in front of Lockpicks or Flashlights.