Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Zore posted:

The mobile versions of 4/5/6 added in a button you could hit and get your party's thoughts on the immediate situation. The English DS ports don't include it with 4 but do for 5 and 6.

In 5 for instance a lot of it is the kids being cute commenting on stuff or the wife yalking about pregnancy symptoms before the reveal. Nothing crucial but neat additional characterization.

Oh cool that sounds neat, every game should have systems like that

So phone for 4, got it

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah party chat was originally started in DQVII and it got back ported to the DS/Android remakes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you wanna be technical the PS1 port of IV and (probably) the PS2 remake of V introduced them. :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dragon Quest VII came out before the playstation remakes though

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

Oh cool that sounds neat, every game should have systems like that

So phone for 4, got it
the english version of 4ds doesnt have party chat but the jp version does, so you can apply a translation patch to that instead if you prefer

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

YggiDee posted:

Yeah party chat was originally started in DQVII and it got back ported to the DS/Android remakes.
The party chat in the PSX version of DQ7 was nuts. There was even a "Talk" option in-battle where your party members would respond on a general level to what was had happened in the last turn, with maybe a few unique lines for each boss. And if you used it too much (more than 3-4 times per turn) you skipped your turn!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've been missing dialogue!?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wish in The Dark Prince that I could see if I currently own a monster during battle. If I've gone through a big fusion session and am just running around it would be handy to know if I should go ahead and scout a random monster. It looks like you can only see if you've ever had a specific monster at any point.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ethiser posted:

I wish in The Dark Prince that I could see if I currently own a monster during battle. If I've gone through a big fusion session and am just running around it would be handy to know if I should go ahead and scout a random monster. It looks like you can only see if you've ever had a specific monster at any point.

Yeah the only way to really tell is to keep your own list or just notice when your scout chance drops precipitously.

Also some Scouting Tips that people might not be aware of that will help improve the normally lovely chance to recruit;

1) Killing all other monsters helps, other monsters in a battle slightly lowers the scout chance.
2) The percentage scout increase of your monsters attacks is based on their Strength or Wisdom, whichever is higher. So optimal is usually to stack your team with 4 heavy hitters when recruiting since L sized monsters get a little screwed by only having about 10% bonus to their Str/Wis which doesn't make up for the extra scout attack.
3) Stacking buffs like Oomph on your dudes and debuffs like Sap on the enemy will help improve your scouting chances
4) The lower the enemies HP is the better, you have roughly 2x the scouting potential if you can get them down to 1 HP compared to full
5) Meat can be used 2-5 times per monster until you get a message saying its full
6) Meat massively increases the chances for the monster to join after battles even if you don't successfully scout them

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Bongo Bill posted:

Other than that, it's pretty much just a bunch of one-dimensionai daimaō.

Well, in their core games. DQ Builders 2 did an astounding job of giving Malroth and Hargon a ton more depth. Malroff is now one of my favorite DQ "villains", helped by the fact that DQB2 is one of my favorite games ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
After getting a metal slime via medals yesterday I grabbed another in the mole hole, made a liquid metal, grabbed another, made a metal king, and then managed to scout a 2nd one with an 8% scout chance. :getin:

I neglected the story to make monsters and power level a bit in a 4-star Joe dungeon via massive AOE damage so I'm steamrolling the midgame now with a main team of:
Overkilling Machine (Hair Splitter)
Dragon Slime (Blow Hard)
B-rank cat mage whose name I forget (Perfect Speller)
King Cureslime (Supreme Healer)

Cleared the arena fights to A rank but I'd have to save scum to beat the A ranks atm because some of the fights have monsters with both of the passive buffs for an element, so they have meister for higher base damage (and half mp cost) and then ultra crafty which treats the target's resistance if it were 2 levels lower. For those who don't know: Ultra Crafty [dmg type here] ignoring 2 levels of resistance also means you can damage metal slime-type enemies with the element and top-tier abilities like Ice Age have a very easy time killing them since it's going to hit for 25-30 damage if not more even if you don't the levels/wisdom or a meister passive for further boosts to damage.

I really wish I could see enemy HP or even change the color of their name when their HP is low. Trying to get something low to scout is and having it die because you don't know their max HP is very annoying. As is cannibox enemies seeming to vanish permanently if they chase you and you run away, leave, and come back? poo poo's weird and annoying because when Ioaded a save to try again against one earlier it was just straight up gone even though the enemies in the room had all spawned.

Zore posted:

Currently some of the opponents in the 30 round flash tournament are NPC placeholders with insane late game monsters, you can see it if you check your match history. I would guess that starts changing soon as more people beat the game and get more endgame teams, but I think they deliberately have it populate with a variety of monster ranks.

Yeah I saw some were named NPC## but others wer eactualy names, mostly in Japanese but one was in English.

Zore posted:

2) They locked a lot of iconic monsters behind incredibly specific and long fusion chains. And not like endgame monsters, like Slime Knights are rank F and require a full on special breeding chain to get which feels excessive.

You can scout Slime Knights (and a handful of other complex low grade monsters) in a bunch of stages so I wouldn't worry too much about that one at least.

e:

Zore posted:

Yeah the only way to really tell is to keep your own list or just notice when your scout chance drops precipitously.

Also some Scouting Tips that people might not be aware of that will help improve the normally lovely chance to recruit;

2) The percentage scout increase of your monsters attacks is based on their Strength or Wisdom, whichever is higher. So optimal is usually to stack your team with 4 heavy hitters when recruiting since L sized monsters get a little screwed by only having about 10% bonus to their Str/Wis which doesn't make up for the extra scout attack.
3) Stacking buffs like Oomph on your dudes and debuffs like Sap on the enemy will help improve your scouting chances

It's much easier to boost wisdom than strength. The Wisdom IV passive gives about 2x the boost that Attack IV gives, and then it becomes a matter of getting your squad either oomph(le) and sap or (ka)ping and dim to boost your chances further. Assuming using dim to lower enemy wisdom boosts your own wisdom's effectiveness. If not, then high attack characters with someone who has the trait that increases accuracy for stat debuffs as your sapper is going to be the way to go in the long run.

Also, there are passive "bane" traits that boost the monster's damage, from all sources, against that enemy type. This also boosts their scout damage %.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 4, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Well, in their core games. DQ Builders 2 did an astounding job of giving Malroth and Hargon a ton more depth. Malroff is now one of my favorite DQ "villains", helped by the fact that DQB2 is one of my favorite games ever.

I love the girl in that game that talks like this, fam...like, epicsauce bro

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I find it very charming that the curse against harming monsters doesn't cover "throwing rocks"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meowywitch posted:

I love the girl in that game that talks like this, fam...like, epicsauce bro

Becky is lit

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Up to about 75% encyclopedia complete, observations:

They seem very reluctant to include a lot of monsters from games that a global audience would be unfamiliar with; Most DQX stuff and reincarnation monsters are gone. Not far enough to know how much 3DS series main character stuff is missing, but it seems likely most will be missing.

The game is WAY tuned-down from most of the 3DS series. I thought this would be the case with the inclusion of only two monster sizes rather than the five that existed previously, but a lot of abilities and traits are missing as well. The monster plus system that lets you raise the rank of weaker monsters is gone, unless it locks post game. GPs are gone in favor of the quick 30x battle.

Monsters games always scratch that itch, but many of these things are pretty disappointing to me. I wonder if they maybe wanted to severely simplify and streamline this to introduce it to the global audience, while planning to re-complexify it in a professional edition a year or two from now.

Also, i'm still pretty certain that there is some hidden formula applied to the percentage chance you see in the upper right corner when you scout monsters in some cases. It might be some scum protection to prevent you from reloading a save when you fail a scout, but there's no doubt it is there. The number of times i've been stuck for like 15 or 20 minutes trying to scout something with around base 15% or so and ending up having to reset 20+ times is insane compared to the number of times I got lucky and snagged it in a couple. This is making it take way longer than it should to fill in the whole encyclopedia.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I know when using Save States to scout monsters in Joker 3 the % was rolled in advance, not when I hit the scout command, and I couldn't just keep reloading a saved state to ensure a success but I'd be surprised if it was set so far in advance that resetting didn't reroll it. It'd have to have a set series of numbers it just cycles through if that was the case.

And if there is a set pattern of numbers it checks your % against, someone's going to figure it out sooner or later and people will be able to game it to their advantage like the Hoimi Table for drop rates in DQ9.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Managed to clear a 3-star slime-only challenge dungeon and the boss was a gold slime who really made the whole ultra crafty frizzer + helitosis combo shine. Had to redo the fight because I ran out of MP the first time and on my 2nd attempt I just kept doing deep breath + helitosis which eventually killed it with my king cureslime down to almost no mp due to having to heal so much. If my dragon slime didn't have mp regen via a passive (which almost breaks even on MP usage when I'm doing deep breath every other round) I'd have probably failed again since the thing seemed to have about 1-1.1k hp and even when charging up the breath attack it was only dealing about 95-105 damage and it took 15 rounds to kill it.

Shame it wasn't a metal king slime, gold slimes only give 20k xp and something like 5k gold. Metal kings give 600,000 experience and I had a 2x bonus ball running since I'd found it in the dungeon and the counter keeps going even after you leave the dungeon, win or lose.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Did a couple hours of fusing and beating up the early Green Dragon to cycle through stuff and now have a team of some of my favorite or at least hilarious monsters.

should uh, probably continue the story since I am now rocking multiple S rank monsters and have just done the bit where I need to beat the D rank tournament.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
drat, wasn't expecting the end of the Middle section of the game to be such a long, long cutscene chain.

Kinda hosed up in that I did some breeding before a storyline boss and had to beat her with a level 1.

BabyRyoga posted:

The game is WAY tuned-down from most of the 3DS series. I thought this would be the case with the inclusion of only two monster sizes rather than the five that existed previously, but a lot of abilities and traits are missing as well. The monster plus system that lets you raise the rank of weaker monsters is gone, unless it locks post game. GPs are gone in favor of the quick 30x battle.

The development cycle of this game was cursed and had to be entirely restarted at one point (which is how we got Treasures), I definitely feel like they basically played it extremely safe to just get it out the loving door. Still enjoying it, but DQM 2's remake was way better.

Deki fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 4, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Deki posted:

The development cycle of this game was cursed and had to be entirely restarted at one point (which is how we got Treasures), I definitely feel like they basically played it extremely safe to just get it out the loving door. Still enjoying it, but DQM 2's remake was way better.

DQM2 3D was very fun until the postgame's (or real ending? I forget) series of fights against the giant DQ bosses. The Size 3-4 monsters were always such an annoying pain in the rear end to fight in that game and just almost none of them were ever worth using yourself. The fights against stuff like AsuraZoma was just annoying.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Be advised if you are trying to synth everything, there are a number of monsters you can only get from eggs that appear at various points in synth trees for specific monsters. The ones i've found so far:

Float-o-Copier (E rank) - silver egg
Kandatar / Robbin 'ood - gold egg
Kingleo - gold egg

I'm sure there are more.

also, gold egg and rainbow egg monsters tend to have really advanced skill trees by default that usually require combining many different skills to get. Still trying to find a good way to grind eggs, but it appears that you can find a route, fight a bunch of battles to reset it, teleport to a different area, save, then go back to your route and just reset if you get eggs you don't want.

edit: one more,

Lionneck (don't know english name) - gold egg

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 5, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've only found white eggs :(

e: The king slick slime in the third food world is really goddamn tanky, I might be in trouble if it's weaker than the boss

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deki posted:

I've only found white eggs :(

e: The king slick slime in the third food world is really goddamn tanky, I might be in trouble if it's weaker than the boss

They are all white until you open them. I think the highest color of egg you can find corresponds to how far in the story you are.

You can only find normal and silver at first, then at some point you can find gold, and when you've unlocked all areas you can find rainbow.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So the guys I imported from the demo are getting less skill points? Should I just. Let them all go and recruit new ones?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Skill point gain depends on how many skills the monster has. Freshly caught ones always have 2 skills and gain at the slower rate.

Its always worthwhile to fuse everything in your storage to get at least 3 skill for the higher point gain.

Fresh monsters are basically only useful to fuse. You never really want to use or keep them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Deki posted:

Any source/article on this?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Alxprit posted:

Any source/article on this?

I'd have to find the articles but there were a lot of Gematsu articles about it over the years with little tangible details other than "poo poo be hosed".

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay cool I haven't done poo poo plot wise yet I've just been catching fools and wandering around the first zone

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Found some more egg-only monsters. The ones mentioned before are tied to S and X rank monster fusions, but these ones just seem to be random junk monsters.

A C rank Dragon Dog
An E rank Glowing Bulb

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Be advised if you are trying to synth everything, there are a number of monsters you can only get from eggs that appear at various points in synth trees for specific monsters. The ones i've found so far:

Float-o-Copier (E rank) - silver egg
Kandatar / Robbin 'ood - gold egg
Kingleo - gold egg

I'm sure there are more.

also, gold egg and rainbow egg monsters tend to have really advanced skill trees by default that usually require combining many different skills to get. Still trying to find a good way to grind eggs, but it appears that you can find a route, fight a bunch of battles to reset it, teleport to a different area, save, then go back to your route and just reset if you get eggs you don't want.

edit: one more,

Lionneck (don't know english name) - gold egg

Ethereal Dragon is (white) egg only as well. I've gotten 2 of them out of the half dozen or so white eggs I've found so far and I think they're only used for one specific synth. I think Zenith Dragon is a rainbow egg-only monster too, or something that looked similar to it going by the gamewith site's info that I can't read.

YggiDee posted:

So the guys I imported from the demo are getting less skill points? Should I just. Let them all go and recruit new ones?

Yeah, best thing to do is maybe use them at the very start and then fuse them. The ideal setup is to have made a bunch of annoying fusions in the demo (like hunter mech) to use as a base for better fusions in the main game but anything will do really.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Are randomized dungeons only available through the DLC? Will there be a point in the story where that’ll also be present in the base game?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The tinkerer's toolbench seems unintuitive, I shoved a bunch of items in and it gave me one of the components back.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finally got Kingleo from an egg, it was actually a rainbow egg.

Also went through the list of egg only monsters on JP wikis, the total amounts to (with a mix of correct names and incorrect names, I get so confused going between JP names and localized names):
Whtie Egg: Ethereal Serpent
Silver Egg: Luminous Lampling, Float-o-Copier, Pirhana monster, Tree Feller, Toad Cannon monster, Saro's Minion dude from DQ4 ch1
Gold Egg: Don Mogu, Kandatar/Robbin 'ood, Lionnex
Rainbow Egg: Kingleo/Marquis de Leon

There are still a few more, the silver eggs are loaded with random poo poo. Kinda annoying to farm, you have to set up a loop in an upper-level map and reset for hours to get 'em all. The important ones that you absolutely need to get to fuse boss monsters are Kandatar/Robbin 'ood, Lionnex, and Kingleo.

edit: yeah, there are more. I'll update later

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 6, 2023

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm loving DQM: The Dark Prince.
I spent the previous 3 weeks previous playing DQM Joker 3 because I just learned the game was translated into English a month ago. I figured I'd be too burned out to really get into this one but I was wrong.
I like TDP much better for the most part. Ride monsters were a mistake. I am fine with them nerfing sizes in this game because every team being just one giant monster in DQM 3 felt kinda lame.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Any good resources out there for figuring out skill synthesis? As in which skills to combine/max out to unlock new ones?

I try not to rely on guides and just figure things out for most stuff, but the only skill stuff I know is "[stat] boost II-IV" and Deep Breather.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Woebin posted:

Any good resources out there for figuring out skill synthesis? As in which skills to combine/max out to unlock new ones?

I try not to rely on guides and just figure things out for most stuff, but the only skill stuff I know is "[stat] boost II-IV" and Deep Breather.

So there aren't too many others.

The big ones are the Zam/Zap/Sizz etc Afficinados can upgrade to Virtuoso if you put 100 points in.

Then you can combine Virtuosos.

Woosh, Crack, Sizz, Zap and Splash Virtuoso can be combined in any configuration to make Polarizer which gets you most of their top tier spells

Zam, Crag, Bang and Frizz Virtuoso can be combined in any configuration to make Impactor which does the same for their spells

then you can combine Polarizer and Impactor for Perfect Speller which gives you every single top tier spell of every element.

Any of the 'Slasher' skills can be combined and then any two of their combinations can be combined into Hair Splitter for all the physical elemental damage moves.

Blazer and Chilly Receptionist can both be upgraded like Shallow Breather into Smart Blazer and Frosty Receptionist. Then any two of Deep Breather/Smart Blazer/Frosty Receptionist can be turned into Blow Hard for all the top tier breaths.

Cure-All + Healer or Paramedic makes Supreme Healer

Then specific wards can be combined but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Zore posted:

So there aren't too many others.

The big ones are the Zam/Zap/Sizz etc Afficinados can upgrade to Virtuoso if you put 100 points in.

Then you can combine Virtuosos.

Woosh, Crack, Sizz, Zap and Splash Virtuoso can be combined in any configuration to make Polarizer which gets you most of their top tier spells

Zam, Crag, Bang and Frizz Virtuoso can be combined in any configuration to make Impactor which does the same for their spells

then you can combine Polarizer and Impactor for Perfect Speller which gives you every single top tier spell of every element.

Any of the 'Slasher' skills can be combined and then any two of their combinations can be combined into Hair Splitter for all the physical elemental damage moves.

Blazer and Chilly Receptionist can both be upgraded like Shallow Breather into Smart Blazer and Frosty Receptionist. Then any two of Deep Breather/Smart Blazer/Frosty Receptionist can be turned into Blow Hard for all the top tier breaths.

Cure-All + Healer or Paramedic makes Supreme Healer

Then specific wards can be combined but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head
Thank you, that's perfect!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sounds like transferring from the demo is extremely sub optimal so I guess I'll just patiently sulk while I wait till next week for my copy of Dqm3 in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I decided to get it and just unlocked the horizontal monster mash feature. So far it's exactly what I expected. Kind of janky but so was SV. Puns deliver.

I kind of have no clue what I'm doing but who cares! I got monster pals.