Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would imagine trying to sell 130m worth would cut through the order book pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

I'm surprised there are goons in this thread that weren't all over the crypto land island thing last year. It was one of the high points of Internet history in 2022.

They didn't even own the Island, and it was completely undeveloped. Not even sewer or electric.

There was also a big scandal with their only backer and one of the few people who "bought" a plot was actually running the whole thing.

Next you guys are going to tell me you don't know about the browser game metaverse called "Earth 2"

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

E: double post

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think we were making fun of it, it's just that there's so much stupid bullshit piled on stupid bullshit that it's hard to keep it all straight.

I know some hay was made over the obvious bait question about age of consent in Cryptoland, and the expected "mental maturity should be more than enough" with a winky face answer.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
ah, 2022

i hope we get a new crypto island this pump

InsaneNtheMembrane
Dec 5, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 10, 2023

InsaneNtheMembrane
Dec 5, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 10, 2023

InsaneNtheMembrane
Dec 5, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 10, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Welcome back seraph

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Those all couldn't have been one post?
You're not a shithead because you like crypto (well... Maybe) but you're certainly a shithead for posting like that about ANYTHING.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
gently caress off Seraph.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
That's some 1999-style SA trolling behavior I tell you what

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Seraph I bought 50 btc just now on your advice, what next

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Michael Lewis likes to say in interviews that comparing Sam Bankman-Fried to Bernie Madoff is inaccurate, because Madoff ran a ponzi scheme while SBF ran a legitimate business.

In "Going Infinite," however, he describes the value of FTX to be that of 1) enabling major hedge funds to play in the crypto pool with its sophisticated financial tools; 2) collecting a fee from everyone else's gambling on crypto.

So... being the funny-money exchange is a legitimate business, Lewis? Today's beanie baby collectors provide more tangible economic value.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Evilreaver posted:

Seraph I bought 50 btc just now on your advice, what next

Click a link on a website to get it stolen from you

the cycle is now complete

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Seraph, please call New York City’s mental health support at 988 if you are in distress or having a manic episode. We are not equipped to help you here

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

In 2035 1 bitcoin will still equal 1 bitcoin

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What the heck is Bukele celebrating here

He has no intention of selling so we're just watching a nation leader inject his country's economy into a rollercoaster and yelling TOLD YOU SO every time it hits a peak, and don't worry we'll wait it out at each nadir.

I looked up how much bitcoin they hold and it's about 2700 of them. Is that a lot? Doesn't sound like a lot.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

pitloin

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the other thing with el salvador is that market cap is bullshit anyway because to get value out of that holding you'll decrease the price hugely when you dump. market cap seems like an insane measure to use for any big entity

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Yeah, nerdy computer touchers will strike the fear into normal, working people in case of the apocalypse. LOL.

Your worthless usb stick with your butts on it will come in real clutch.

I love you Seraph, i really do

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 5, 2023

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

atomicpile posted:

lol, using bitcoins to buy things that aren’t drugs.
I don't think you can even buy drugs with bitcoin any more since it's laughably easy for law enforcement to trace every transaction.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think its nice that he keeps supporting SA with all those 10s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

lol is this why seraph has posted so often recently? it just randomly went up $10K over the past 3 days so now they're all crawling back out of the woodwork going, "SEE. SEE. IT'S WORTH SOMETHING NOW" like bro, what was the reason it jumped $10K, you don't think that's weird?

It only has to go up another $25k and all those people who mortgaged their house to buy it when Matt Daemon called them pussies will break even.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

They'll never even take your resume seriously.

"This resume is from an Al?"

"You mean to tell me AI fried this rice?"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The_Franz posted:

It only has to go up another $25k and all those people who mortgaged their house to buy it when Matt Daemon called them pussies will break even.

And that’s not even accounting for the psychic value of Matt Damon not thinking you’re a pussy

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
lol the one “legitimate” use for bitcoin is buying illegal stuff but it’s like the easiest money to trace besides just straight up using your debit card.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Anybody on the birdsite got eyes on the tether money printer? Bet it’s been busy

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Anybody on the birdsite got eyes on the tether money printer? Bet it’s been busy

I'm not sure in specific, but tether printed something like 20 billion this year and USDT dropped the same 20 billion or so. A few possibilities are that it's shuffling hands which supports that nobody uses it, or because USDC is not as money-laundering friendly. I don't know. :shrug:

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't think you can even buy drugs with bitcoin any more since it's laughably easy for law enforcement to trace every transaction.
I was curious about this process a couple months ago and watched a friend. The site he used allowed transactions in bitcoin and monero but bitcoin had extra fees to handle the cost of moving bitcoin around whereas the latter was free to use on the site. Of course it has fees too but they're so tiny the site didn't charge anything extra for using them. Plus there was a big warning about using bitcoin vs monero. The whole thing emphasized security so it's surprising they offered bitcoin use at all. Maybe it's being phased out.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

MechaCrash posted:

Blah blah blah blah link for free cheese blah blah blah

Free cheese?! Where? I'm clicking but NOTHING'S HAPPENING

El Pussito Magnito
Dec 5, 2023

by VG

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 10, 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Pussito Magnito posted:

The harsh reality you’re doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to avoid is that my late 2013 bet on Bitcoin has left me far better off materially than I would have been had I not divested from fiat.

You keep claiming this without any proof whatsoever

Prove it or shut the gently caress up

El Pussito Magnito
Dec 5, 2023

by VG

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 10, 2023

El Pussito Magnito
Dec 5, 2023

by VG

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 10, 2023

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's not possible for me to give less of a poo poo. nobody cares. go enjoy your profound wealth somewhere where people appreciate your presence. because if this is how you get your kicks then that's even more pathetic than just being a bitcoin weirdo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That isn’t proof of all your worldshaking success at all

Prove your claim

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

At least Three Olives has a touchscreen toaster, what the gently caress do you have?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
guy got perma'd in 2015. he's been doing this for eight years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
All it would take is one picture of you in your fabulous estate with all of your dozens of classic cars and your enormous infinity pool and I would instantly believe in the power of the bit

C’mon, blow another ten on reregistering and knock my socks off