Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
But then I won't have it for next time!

Not long ago I took the Miata to the store for one of it's last drives of the year and found I'd forgotten a $280 rental ball joint press in the trunk for over a month. Oops. Somehow I hadn't lost the receipt yet when I finally took it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

One day I'll go to remove an axle nut and actually have the right socket without having to go buy one. Most recently, I had a 36mm socket but not a deepwell 36mm socket.

Surely next time it'll be one that I already have.

Just yesterday I had to buy a 36mm socket, even though I know I bought one 10-15 years ago, and it made me irrationally angry.

Doubly angry that my only option in 6 point was a big honking axle nut socket even though I was only working on something pretty easy, the steering head nut on one of the bikes. $25 at autozone instead of $11 from Amazon if I knew ahead of time I needed it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cat Hatter posted:

Somehow I hadn't lost the receipt yet when I finally took it back

this is why I always keep the receipt in the blow molded case for rental tools. much harder for me to lose that way.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Cat Hatter posted:

Surely next time it'll be one that I already have.

Congrats. I got a deal on a clearance display of the 48" version of that this summer. Huge upgrade over my old 3-tier Harbor Freight box. Also the exact dimensions of the cargo area on a Grand Cherokee. I used to load a bunch of poo poo into people's cars back when I worked at Lowe's so I was trying not to be that customer, but the two guys that were helping me load it at the store weren't very good. My wife was much more helpful getting it back out.

I'm still slowly moving stuff over because I'm lazy.

:whatup:

Only took a little bit of synchronized forklifting to get it in there, but thankfully there were no casualties (box included). Klaus must've been on lunch break :v:

In my defense, I did offer to come back with a truck, but the lady operating the forklift had the genius idea to just tilt it back on a second set of forks and push it in, which worked beautifully

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

What do you guys even use to keep sockets organized? I kind of hate the above mentioned cheap blow molded case kind of situation for sets of small parts but that’s what they seem to often come in.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

the yeti posted:

What do you guys even use to keep sockets organized? I kind of hate the above mentioned cheap blow molded case kind of situation for sets of small parts but that’s what they seem to often come in.

Personally, I use these and am happy with them: https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-...-red-70019.html. I've also got the gray set for the metric side. Easy-on, easy-off, easy to see which ones you have and don't have. Those live in the top drawer of my box. Note: put the sockets on drive side up and they actually sit where they're supposed to so you can read the sizes on the pegs.

For a more mobile option, I've also got one of these: https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/1-2-magnetic-socket-holder-red. It's also full as I got a shitload of 1/2" drive stuff from my dad. I'm not in that one a lot, but it's awesome to just toss a loaded up tray in the bag for when I'm going to the yard or a friend's place or whatever.

Edit: Like Hatter said down there, the zero effort on/off was really important to me, too. I understand the appeal of a firm grip on socket holders, but if they're just living in a drawer I don't want to have to use two hands to pick up a socket.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 26, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

the yeti posted:

This style in a big drawer (formerly the top of my old, smaller box):

I like that they don't take any effort to pick up or put back, even though you sacrifice portability. I keep the oddball sizes wherever they fit off on the ends. Ignore all the sockets I haven't put back yet, I just finished something. I should probably clean these out now that they aren't out in the open for (saw)dust to collect on everything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Those are what I like/use, but, no, not portable.

Also, lol, the mess I had to clean up after moving.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I’m a fan of these, the rails come out of the base so you can grab the set you need as a whole and slap it back in later. They don’t always hold 1/2 deep impact sockets reliably (the sockets rotate loose, not fall off directly) but everything else is solid. I have red for inch and blue for metric.
SnapOn also had their own branded version of the same thing now.

https://www.ernstmfg.com/8450-3-Rail-Twist-Lock-Socket-Boss-18-Red.aspx

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Project Farm tests tool kits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEsW-eMLSbM

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I am apparently being a Home Depot whore this holiday season, but I just jumped on a deal for the M12 Fuel stubby impact I'd been eyeing and am sharing for anyone else who cares.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...54-20/322135722

Now I need stubby impact sockets. I'm pretty sure this was just discussed but what's the prefered brand? Amazon has Astro and Capri that both look pretty good and short.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I have the stubby Astro sockets, they are excellent.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

WTFBEES posted:

I am apparently being a Home Depot whore this holiday season, but I just jumped on a deal for the M12 Fuel stubby impact I'd been eyeing and am sharing for anyone else who cares.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...54-20/322135722

Now I need stubby impact sockets. I'm pretty sure this was just discussed but what's the prefered brand? Amazon has Astro and Capri that both look pretty good and short.

Time to grab this. Might grab this too even though I wouldn't need the extra charger

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

If you do, make sure you get the free 2.5Ah battery too! Hit the Shop This Offer button on the right side or otherwise you won't get it.

In theory this also makes the impact itself only $106 because the battery is a separate, returnable line item.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

WTFBEES posted:

If you do, make sure you get the free 2.5Ah battery too! Hit the Shop This Offer button on the right side or otherwise you won't get it.

In theory this also makes the impact itself only $106 because the battery is a separate, returnable line item.

Glad you said that. I'd want that battery for the ratchet anyway.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

opengl posted:

I have the stubby Astro sockets, they are excellent.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

WTFBEES posted:

This is some bullshit on Home Depot's part. Lowe's website will automatically add an item to your order if you don't choose one and give you a button in your cart to select something else. Meanwhile, I now have to exchange something I bought from Depot because I forgot to click the button and was at least lucky enough to notice before the sale ended.

I like that Depot splits the sale price so you can return any free stuff you don't want, but they could make it a lot harder to screw up your order.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

This is some bullshit on Home Depot's part. Lowe's website will automatically add an item to your order if you don't choose one and give you a button in your cart to select something else. Meanwhile, I now have to exchange something I bought from Depot because I forgot to click the button and was at least lucky enough to notice before the sale ended.

I like that Depot splits the sale price so you can return any free stuff you don't want, but they could make it a lot harder to screw up your order.

Home Depot's site is hot garbage. I like to filter to what is in stock, it will show me multiple items in stock and I order them trying to pick them up later in the day. The site will invariably put a random item in the ship to store that should be in stock and I have to wait to pick up that one item later in the week. There is a Lowe's 20 minutes from me but I sometimes put up with the drive just to avoid the HD shitshow in Oxford, MS.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EvellSnoats posted:

Home Depot's site is hot garbage. I like to filter to what is in stock, it will show me multiple items in stock and I order them trying to pick them up later in the day. The site will invariably put a random item in the ship to store that should be in stock and I have to wait to pick up that one item later in the week. There is a Lowe's 20 minutes from me but I sometimes put up with the drive just to avoid the HD shitshow in Oxford, MS.

That's because the picker in the store didn't find the item/couldn't be arsed to find it. And I don't blame THEM for that. There's like 4 people working at any given time so they wouldn't have the time to give a gently caress/do a good job even if they wanted to.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The inventory numbers on the site usually differ a bit from what's on the shelf. I don't think the count is updated in real time (might be a once a day batch job) so something may have been in stock when the store opened and sold out before the picker went to pick it. There's also going to be some amount of misplacement (items put back in the wrong bin, customers ditching an item in some random spot in the store, etc.) and theft skewing the numbers.

If it shows less than 10 of something in stock I get suspicious about the store having any at all.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
What’s the latest word on Harbor Freight Jack stands? I know about the recall but that was with the ratcheting pawl type stands. I wanted to get a set of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...UsaAiwWEALw_wcB

Which uses a locking pin to hold the stands. Assuming I incorporate usual failsafes (leave Jack in place, set tires/6x6 under wheel hubs, shake car before getting under it) I think it should be ok. On the other hand “don’t cheap out on safety equipment” has been echoing through my head

Any input?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ufAL5R0mg

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Top G posted:

What’s the latest word on Harbor Freight Jack stands? I know about the recall but that was with the ratcheting pawl type stands. I wanted to get a set of these:

Which uses a locking pin to hold the stands. Assuming I incorporate usual failsafes (leave Jack in place, set tires/6x6 under wheel hubs, shake car before getting under it) I think it should be ok. On the other hand “don’t cheap out on safety equipment” has been echoing through my head

Any input?

I could've sworn Project Farm did a review of those, but I'm not finding it now. I think they're generally well liked though. They are especially useful for cars where the pinch welds or some flat area (the underside being fully clad, e.g.) are the only place you should lift and/or support them.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Ok. So I’m not totally stupid for saving on Jack stands? The $100 difference from, say, a set of Escos is significant to me.

I wouldn’t sweat it normally but I was talking about this with a friend and he asked “why would you try to save money when it comes to safety equipment?” And I was at a loss for words LOL so I wanted to get some second opinions

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Top G posted:

Any input?

I have the OG Esco version of these and I really like them. I feel comfortable getting under my vehicles on those. And I'm partial to them being tripods so they don't rock on uneven surfaces.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I could have sworn it was the welds that went bad on the hf stands.

Or were those the ones that were recalled before that?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I thought the first was the ratchet and the second recall was the welds.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

I thought the first was the ratchet and the second recall was the welds.

That's my recollection.

I got the pro-lifts (ratchet, with the plug thing you put in as a safety) because they were in stock for prime delivery from crazy jeff's bazaar when I found out about my HF ones being death traps. No regrets, they work fine and seem pretty sturdy and appear quite well made. They keep my old enough to vote overweight german suv in the air on a regular basis.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I'm paranoid and always have something under the car (usually a wheel or two) in addition to the jack stands just in case...

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I still have the first gen recalled but stopped using them for cars way before the recall. They are welding stands, keeping hitches off the ground, wire spool holders. I only trust the pin style with the safety clip in to hold something that would splat me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got somewhere in the trillions of these pegs for my pegboard.

They're almost all 12". Once i get things sorted i want to shorten/bend most of them to their needed length. What would be the best way to get a safety ball on the end of the cut rod. Is it just a matter of sticking each one in a vise, getting it red and hitting it with a hammer or is there some easier way i'm missing

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Just buy shorter ones. You'll spend more in propane to hear the end than new ones cost.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got my stubby impact in yesterday but it came all alone. Guess the rest shows up monday.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ I completely agree, I'd just buy an assortment of hooks that work since they're ubiquitous and cheap. If you're bound and determined to cut the hooks you've got and want to round off the sharp edges, a bench grinder would probably work and not be especially hateful to grind through :v:

Plan C, maybe some sort of additive manufacturing to bead the ends? Eg a dab of caulk maybe? JB weld? It'd probably be messy, and may not last too long if it's soft?

You probably already know about these, but slatwall or french cleats are a great upgrade option as well! Slatwall with aluminum inserts are really cheap and ubiquitous. Even cheaper and stronger are French Cleats, though it takes a bit of handywork to fabricobble

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

fknlo posted:

Got my stubby impact in yesterday but it came all alone. Guess the rest shows up monday.

Not to give you cause for concern, but my stubby kit + extra battery all came in one shipment. Does your order have the 2.5ah battery as a separate line item like this?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Looks like that. Literally got the stubby impact and nothing else with the first package.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Impressive that they're splitting 3 items into 4 shipments, but you definitely got the deal. Happy new tool day Monday then.

:toot:
\/\/\/\/

WTFBEES fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 4, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got the rest of it today! The ratchet is chunkier than I thought it would be. Ready to tear into whatever the next project is.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Galler posted:

The inventory numbers on the site usually differ a bit from what's on the shelf. I don't think the count is updated in real time (might be a once a day batch job) so something may have been in stock when the store opened and sold out before the picker went to pick it. There's also going to be some amount of misplacement (items put back in the wrong bin, customers ditching an item in some random spot in the store, etc.) and theft skewing the numbers.

If it shows less than 10 of something in stock I get suspicious about the store having any at all.

I know someone who works for Home Depot corporate, and he says it's not real time, but it does get updated regularly throughout the day, and there's some buffer in there if things are flying off the shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I got the stubby M12 impact. That thing is a little beast. From what I see, the M18 isn't doesn't have enough grunt difference to offset the battery size...

That leads me to think about the M12 portaband. It's got a kit on sale at northern tools, but I'm not leaning that way, because I think the extra bit of grunt the M18 would add would be beneficial, plus the smaller throat size of the M12 is concerning... has anyone looked at these two in comparison?

Edit: Nevermind, the throat difference is HUGE. I'll look for an M18 deal.