Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Oxxidation posted:

it's sixty to eighty hours long without the dlc. you're being paranoid

No. They're talking about the 2 hour refund policy. As in "they specifically tried to stretch out the intro and pad it with what actually polished so you wouldn't see how much CDPR failed to deliver."

Really, it's more likely they were doing the good review strategy of making sure the first few hours have polish, since that's all most reviewers will see.

But yeah, I also hit wall after wall of things that made me really dislike cyberpunk and I didn't play it until it was 'fixed' on ps5, after getting it <10 bucks and still feeling like I overpaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

A drag: the latest Pokemon game's quiz at the Elite Four, asking you to remember the details about the various gym leaders. It's not that this one is actually hard, it's just... if you wanted me to remember who the gym leaders were, maybe make them more than just a one-dimensional sketch you only interact with for one battle apiece.
Since about G/S/C there's a tiny group of loud people that get insanely attached to gym leaders/elite 4 in Pokemon games and I have always been confused about it. Outside of a couple of characters, there's nothing to attach and latch on to.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Croccers posted:

Since about G/S/C there's a tiny group of loud people that get insanely attached to gym leaders/elite 4 in Pokemon games and I have always been confused about it. Outside of a couple of characters, there's nothing to attach and latch on to.

Attached in what way? You know what, don't answer that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

No. They're talking about the 2 hour refund policy. As in "they specifically tried to stretch out the intro and pad it with what actually polished so you wouldn't see how much CDPR failed to deliver."

I know what they were saying. it’s a dumb-assed thing to say when the far more obvious explanation is that a game that size is going to have a fairly leisurely intro chapter. the white orchard in Witcher 3 is a similar situation and that can go six hours if you take your time

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Considering how Cyberpunk was, I'm not willing to discard the theory the guy's got.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

I'm guessing this is due more to the anime or manga giving the gym leaders actual screen time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Attached in what way? You know what, don't answer that.

Like lampreys.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Oxxidation posted:

I know what they were saying. it’s a dumb-assed thing to say when the far more obvious explanation is that a game that size is going to have a fairly leisurely intro chapter. the white orchard in Witcher 3 is a similar situation and that can go six hours if you take your time

The white orchard is an actual playable area. Not a linear series of quests. At best you can explore the little area of the game you're quarantined to instead of doing those quests but you're still severely limited in what you can do and engage with, you can't even access half of the upgrades until you finish that quest line. Personally, at least, I think that yeah; the games industry is scummy enough to deliberately circumvent the most common barrier of entry to getting a return, especially if they know their product is going to be dog poo poo.

Also long games do not necessarily have long intros and that's a really asinine excuse.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nuebot posted:

The white orchard is an actual playable area. Not a linear series of quests. At best you can explore the little area of the game you're quarantined to instead of doing those quests but you're still severely limited in what you can do and engage with, you can't even access half of the upgrades until you finish that quest line. Personally, at least, I think that yeah; the games industry is scummy enough to deliberately circumvent the most common barrier of entry to getting a return, especially if they know their product is going to be dog poo poo.

Also long games do not necessarily have long intros and that's a really asinine excuse.

Thinking that devs are rubbing their hands thinking about how many players they're going to dupe for two hours is really bizarre, rather than realizing that a) the intro was likely worked on later in the games dev cycle and b) it's at a point in the game where there are more known quantities about the players position in the world and story as well as their capabilities.

No one is creating a multimillion dollar game with the purpose of getting one over on the consumer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Croccers posted:

I suspect it's because of that nothing. A lot of the defined but non-lead characters in Pokemon are very vibrant cardboard cutouts; a pile of appealing cliches that you can relate to and project on whatever you want.

You look at the gym leaders, Elite Four and probably the resident evil team leader people in a Pokemon game, you have an immediate list of favorites just by style and aesthetics, and nothing the game hands you will refute that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Morpheus posted:

Thinking that devs
Not necessarily devs, suits. "Minimum 2.1 hours before you hit unscripted content" is absolutely something I could see being a blanket mandate.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Croccers posted:

I absolutely assure you that while little of that era has survived directly intact the Internet has been doing horrible things to gym leaders since green/blue/red.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is a dumb as hell thing to even suggest given that the game starts making permanent character personality decisions within those two hours

The idea of constructing a fake potemkin game you for some reason cannot exit or come to the realization that your time is being wasted is just beyond the pale. Trust in game devs please, they want you to soak in their worlds my god

edit: 'suits' are the boogeyman. The complaint was that the opening was slow, not some phony trick.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:44 on Dec 5, 2023

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's not even that slow. The only linear part is lifepath intro (those are very short) -> montage (cutscene) -> Sandra Dorsett job (with optional combat, stealth and netrunning tutorials) -> drive home (interactive cutscene). After that you follow Jackie to your ripperdoc/cyberware tutorial. That's it.

Yes the main quest will spend a bit more time setting up the heist so you'll get more exposition dumps and meet new people until you're sent to retrieve a robot. But you're free to run off to explore Watson, the first district, and do optional content
like gigs and cyberpsychos, either after you wake up in your apartment or after you visit the ripperdoc.

E: I can't remember whether the Watson side content is gated by the visit to Vic or if you can leave Jackie behind at the food stand already. But you can definitely run off and map-complete most of Watson before you get into Dexter's car for the intro to the heist job.

orcane has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Dec 5, 2023

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There’s definitely side stuff you can do in Watson, I spent like a dozen+ hours dicking around before I did the heist in my first playthrough when the game came out.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cyberpunk was bad and I should be allowed a refund even though I spent 45 hours in it because the main quest was just painfully dumb

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

CJacobs posted:

That is a dumb as hell thing to even suggest given that the game starts making permanent character personality decisions within those two hours

The idea of constructing a fake potemkin game you for some reason cannot exit or come to the realization that your time is being wasted is just beyond the pale. Trust in game devs please, they want you to soak in their worlds my god

edit: 'suits' are the boogeyman. The complaint was that the opening was slow, not some phony trick.

My favorite is the way cyberpunk has you build your character/assign points before the tutorial that lets you actually see what the gameplay actually is like. Meanwhile the game limits actual gameplay abd mechanics so heavily for the first section they could and should have had you play up until you wake up after the big hiest to fill in your character sheet.
Alternatively use the handwave of what's happened to let you respec, now that you have an intro to the game's mechanics.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I was a big fan of Prototype starting with a sequence that had you fully powered up so you got a taste of the toys to come before starting the story proper as a wee nascent city devouring parasite.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Lol, I've been playing Next Gen consoles for too long, just tried to turn off my PS2 by pressing the Analog on/off button on my controller. :P

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BioEnchanted posted:

Lol, I've been playing Next Gen consoles for too long, just tried to turn off my PS2 by pressing the Analog on/off button on my controller. :P

I still remember the sega master system having the pause button on the console instead of the remote

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ahahahaha. The Republic version of the new story patch in Star Wars: The Old Republic, at least, requires a series of clickies. That can only be clicked by one person and have a several second respawn time. Huge crowds gathered around these spots spamming clicks trying to get them.

I'll come back in a week or two I guess. I thought MMOs had learned to not do this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arrath posted:

I was a big fan of Prototype starting with a sequence that had you fully powered up so you got a taste of the toys to come before starting the story proper as a wee nascent city devouring parasite.
Yeah, it was good for knowing what I wanted to beeline for.

Making you choose how your guy works before you know how the game works is such an entrenched piece of bullshit that it's not even that game companies are scared to move away from it, it's that the idea of even questioning it doesn't really cross their minds.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFXIV: At some point after the first expansion the campaign went heavy on solo-duties. These are heavily scripted fights that are meant to balanced around every possible class, since you're not playing with a group.

They are all loving terrible. Again and again you'll die and waste ten to fifteen minutes of your times. There are no checkpoints. The pace and havoc of combat means its very easy to miss the instructions needed to survive. You can't play easy until dying once beforehand. It is very, very easy to gently caress up. You will always miss the tell sign of a boss' insta-kill attack on the first attempt.

The bad guy of the expansion, Eddie Sulk or whatever his name his, is sitting in the final dungeon a stone throw away. But I can't get to him because I have to beat two consecutive duties about tanking in an irrelevant sidequest that I don't loving want to do.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Dec 6, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Cythereal posted:

Ahahahaha. The Republic version of the new story patch in Star Wars: The Old Republic, at least, requires a series of clickies. That can only be clicked by one person and have a several second respawn time. Huge crowds gathered around these spots spamming clicks trying to get them.

I'll come back in a week or two I guess. I thought MMOs had learned to not do this.

Did they ever rework the skills in SWTOR? It was wild how many design choices at launch were already a decade behind other MMOs, like 20 skill buttons or tanks and healers having to unlock basic toolkit abilities-with different unlock orders between classes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Morpheus posted:

Thinking that devs are rubbing their hands thinking about how many players they're going to dupe for two hours is really bizarre, rather than realizing that a) the intro was likely worked on later in the games dev cycle and b) it's at a point in the game where there are more known quantities about the players position in the world and story as well as their capabilities.

No one is creating a multimillion dollar game with the purpose of getting one over on the consumer.

Counterpoint: Cyberpunk on release. No Man's Sky. Star Wars: Battlefront. I could go on.

Of course the developers want to create the GotY with everything they do. They're artists with a vision and It's why they slave away on that poo poo and get into it in the first place. I'm sure I don't have to tell you about crunch, the horrendous hours they work, suits insisting on loot boxes and the whole "just get it out, we'll patch it later" mentality that's forced on them. Pretending that the companies those artists work for don't want to squeeze every last nickel out of whatever product they've promised to deliver by Christmas, oiled by the blood of the talent they hire is, to me, even more bizarre.

Come the gently caress on

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Dec 6, 2023

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Splicer posted:

Yeah, it was good for knowing what I wanted to beeline for.

Making you choose how your guy works before you know how the game works is such an entrenched piece of bullshit that it's not even that game companies are scared to move away from it, it's that the idea of even questioning it doesn't really cross their minds.

I'm still blown away that Starfield included a plastic surgery clinic where you can change literally evety aspect of your appearance, but no brainwash clinic where you can refund your skill points. In a game that is ostensibly about eternal self-reinvention. Just mind boggling.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Tears of the Kingdom: Am I crazy, or do mobs hit way too hard? I first noticed it between the first two dungeons, when I had about ten hearts and pretty much every mob I ran into did at least 6 hearts of damage. It's pretty much only gotten worse since then, and mobs do about eleven average at the point I'm at. It doesn't help that I've found exactly one great fairy, who refuses to come out of her flower so I can't even upgrade my armour. I looked up how to do it online, and that looks like a moderately annoying quest to do? Doable, but annoying.

Also mobs are damage sponges. A 45-power weapon takes something like eight hits to kill a black moblin, and that's pretty much the most basic enemy I can run into at this point.

And, finally: No ring.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Slow cinematic intros were not invented because of the Steam refund policy, guys. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to do a reality check right there.

But I might be desensitized from Yakuza games where it can easily be several hours before you make a decision more involved than "press X for the next dialogue box"

Or the insanely long Windwaker intro where you spend the entirety of it without a sword.

mycot has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Dec 6, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JackSplater posted:

Tears of the Kingdom: Am I crazy, or do mobs hit way too hard? I first noticed it between the first two dungeons, when I had about ten hearts and pretty much every mob I ran into did at least 6 hearts of damage. It's pretty much only gotten worse since then, and mobs do about eleven average at the point I'm at. It doesn't help that I've found exactly one great fairy, who refuses to come out of her flower so I can't even upgrade my armour. I looked up how to do it online, and that looks like a moderately annoying quest to do? Doable, but annoying.

Also mobs are damage sponges. A 45-power weapon takes something like eight hits to kill a black moblin, and that's pretty much the most basic enemy I can run into at this point.

That's about the same as Breath of the Wild. I don't know the exact amount of damage you took down to the heart, but you could easily get killed by a lot of grass being on fire or an exploding barrel or two bokoblins hitting you at the beginning of the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

JackSplater posted:

the point when I thought "hmm maybe they should have changed anything at all about the damage formula from BOTW" was a fight where I got hit by something for 1/4 heart, and then got hit by something else for my entire remaining 5 3/4 hearts and dropped dead. Two hits in a fight against the lowest tier of enemies should probably not have a damage spread of (at least) 23x. You have to stop the action to pause and heal back to full between every hit to re-enable the one shot protection because the only amounts of health that matter are "full" or "not full."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I think the thing about TotK's damage system isn't necessarily that the formulas changed from BotW, but that the inputs did. Weapons have WAY more variance in damage amounts now thanks to the weapon fusion system, so some enemies just randomly hit like a train because they compiled a really strong weapon. They also get to benefit from 'high damage, low durability' weapons like the Bokoblin Arm way more than the player does, too.

I think the armors might also just have a lower average across the board in TotK, but I haven't found a great fairy for armor upgrades and spent most of BotW in the Gerudo outfit, so I don't have the best perspective on that.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
It gets a lot less bad after you get the great faeries and upgrade some armor, so i'd recommend doing that asap.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JackSplater posted:

Most of the in world enemies scale to your level basically fighting any of them after awhile stops being worth it.
Fairies are the traveling band's quests, which usually aren't too long or difficult. But I'm glad I did them before they fixed the item dupes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

JackSplater posted:

In addition to what others have said, I’ve noticed that every old enemy tends to have a headbutt move of some kind, which means they can go from wielding a Sturdy Stick with a mushroom or rusty sword attached to attacking with their own horns, which usually out damages any of the crappier fusions and is another potential damage spike.

You definitely feel frailer imo, which isn’t super helped by the musician quest not being shoved directly in your path like the old fairy fountains which only required having an assload of money and noticing very conspicuous structures. Also even beyond that the Champion’s Tunic is a lot harder to find, which always felt like the default “I don’t need to need any temperature requirements so I’ll wear this and the amber earrings to facetank” gear.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Coolness Averted posted:

My favorite is the way cyberpunk has you build your character/assign points before the tutorial that lets you actually see what the gameplay actually is like. Meanwhile the game limits actual gameplay abd mechanics so heavily for the first section they could and should have had you play up until you wake up after the big hiest to fill in your character sheet.
Alternatively use the handwave of what's happened to let you respec, now that you have an intro to the game's mechanics.

After the 2.0 patch you get one stat respec you can use whenever per save file. You also get (IIRC) unlimited perk point respecs but I haven't done that respec so I can't confirm they're unlimited.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm still blown away that Starfield included a plastic surgery clinic where you can change literally evety aspect of your appearance, but no brainwash clinic where you can refund your skill points. In a game that is ostensibly about eternal self-reinvention. Just mind boggling.

The skill system in Starfield is as hosed as a soup sandwich so they really need this. It has three categories of skills:
1)Completely pointless (Most of the crafting skills, energy weapons skill that applies to like two things, any starship weapon skill that isn't particle beams)
2)Completely overpowered (Stacking damage type and weapon type +dmg skills for guns, particle weapons for starships)
3) WHY IS THIS A SKILL?!?! (Spending skill points to unlock stuff like crew slots, starship system targeting, and using the jetpack part of your goddamn jetpack item)

Add the way that skill tiers are gated by points spent in the tree, and I was desperately wanting to take some points out of skills that turned out to be category 1 and put them in a different tree so I could get some of the higher tier skills from categories 2/3.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cythereal posted:

There's supposed to be a patch out today to fix that. Usually they aren't that quick on the draw, but they must have caught on to this one quick. (Not quick enough to fix it pre-launch obvs.)

Coolness Averted posted:

Did they ever rework the skills in SWTOR? It was wild how many design choices at launch were already a decade behind other MMOs, like 20 skill buttons or tanks and healers having to unlock basic toolkit abilities-with different unlock orders between classes.

Yeah, a few years back they did. My wife's been playing since release, and I was on it for maybe a year. They reworked the skill trees into something simpler probably around year 2 or 3.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Had a go at Remant 2 since it on gamepass. I started out picking the second difficulty (out of 4) since it seems to be mostly a shooter and I play a bunch of those, but after a couple hours I ended up realising I don't like that difficulty much since it just does the tedious thing of boosting enemy health through the roof. So I go to turn it down and... I can't? Apparently the only way to play a different difficulty is to completely restart the campaign, though I guess you do get to keep your character.

Why? What purpose does that serve? I could understand if you would not be able to switch difficulty on the fly while ingame for session reasons, but not even letting you switch from the main menu is just seems pointless.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Dec 6, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I always hate that, I'm glad I haven't run into it in a while. I can understand giving you a warning if the difficulty's tied to an achievement or something, but it just seems like aggravating design in general.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Perestroika posted:

Why? What purpose does that serve? I could understand if you would not be able to switch difficulty on the fly while ingame for session reasons, but not even letting you switch from the main menu is just seems pointless.

"Why would you want to lower the difficulty, you gay or something?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The game does have account weapon unlocks for completing a campaign on each difficulty so it’s more than just achievements. remnant campaigns/adventures have a lot of randomization and are meant to be done multiple times, and you keep everything you’ve earned on that character so rolling a new campaign isn’t as big a deal as it might seem. the real issue is remnant 2 renaming the first two difficulties from “normal/hard” to “survivor/veteran” with vague descriptions that trick a lot of people into starting on hard when normal is absolutely the correct choice for most people’s first campaign. The game is plenty challenging on normal until you’re familiar with it.