Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Grey Elephants posted:

I watched Aniara recently and haven't stopped thinking about it. Any other movies where the horror/tension comes from the sheer vastness and isolation of time and space?

High Life, by Claire Denis with Pattinson and Binoche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A Ghost Story?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grey Elephants posted:

I watched Aniara recently and haven't stopped thinking about it. Any other movies where the horror/tension comes from the sheer vastness and isolation of time and space?

Ad Astra kinda

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Interstellar very much plays with this also

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Grey Elephants posted:

Sunshine (2007) at times.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Grey Elephants posted:

It totally lacks horror/tension and is a tonal outlier to the other suggestions (but that maybe makes it even more eligible): Silent Running.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Grey Elephants posted:

A Ghost Story isn't a horror movie but could be perceived as such, but def will scratch that "vastness of time and space" itch, particularly the former

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Did anybody say Solaris yet?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Suggestions for film to watch with moderately conservative family members? Watched Chunking Express the other day with one, they enjoyed it although mainly because they used to live in HK I think. Another likes Downton but not the crown (too mean about the royal family). Current frontrunner is Grosse Pointe Blank

e: they also like scandi crime dramas and Grisham novels

distortion park fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 26, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

distortion park posted:

Suggestions for film to watch with moderately conservative family members? Watched Chunking Express the other day with one, they enjoyed it although mainly because they used to live in HK I think. Another likes Downton but not the crown (too mean about the royal family). Current frontrunner is Grosse Pointe Blank

Maybe some of those good old British colonialism movies could work, like Zulu or The Ghost and the Darkness.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

distortion park posted:

As always, Paddington.

Otherwise Master and Commander.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

distortion park posted:

Hell or High Water. It's written by the guy who made Yellowstone, I sold it to my dad that way.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

If they liked Downton Abbey you should try its ancestor Gosford Park.
Easiest to try American traditionals like Yankee Doodle Dandy and Patton if they haven't already seen them, but I like that idea of veering British, and I recommend the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp for it.
If they're Christian the Gospel According to St. Matthew
If they're Christian and open to arthouse type movies, then Ordet, possibly Diary of a Country Priest.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Some great recommendations thanks!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I watched Kill the Irishman (2011) and No Sudden Move (2021) this weekend and I'm looking for more crime stuff with stacked casts like those two.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Devil In A Blue Dress is another noir with a scene-stealing performance from Cheadle and a great cast.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Nowhere near as good as Repossessed

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That one was better than 2001: A Space Travesty but not as good as Fatal Instinct in the low-rent parody movies Comedy Central showed way too often in the early 2000s Power Rankings

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

morestuff posted:

Devil In A Blue Dress is another noir with a scene-stealing performance from Cheadle and a great cast.
Oh yeah, that's a classic and a perfect example of the kind of thing I'm after. I might rewatch it again anyway :v:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
If you're a fan of Devil in a Blue Dress (great flick), then I guess you're already well feasted on LA Confidential and Mulholland Falls?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

ynohtna posted:

If you're a fan of Devil in a Blue Dress (great flick), then I guess you're already well feasted on LA Confidential and Mulholland Falls?
Yes to LA Confidential and I *think* I've seen Mulholland Falls but it was so long ago I can't remember anything about it (and might be confusing it with Mulholland Drive) so that's a good shout, thank you.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Glengarry Glen Ross, arguably. Maybe not quite what you have in mind, but it centers on a crime and a mystery, and there is no greater cast or ensemble performance I know of.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Turns out I hadn't seen Mulholland Falls before, really enjoyed it though. Glengarry Glen Ross I've definitely seen but not for decades so I'll put that on the list, nice one.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead has a really stacked cast and some crime hijinx told in a non-linear way. I'd call it a solid B over all, but if that's what you're looking for it's got Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei, Ethan Hawke, Albert Finney, Rosemary Harris, Michael Shannon and Amy Ryan.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Ooh, that's a fuckin cast and a half. Sold :v:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Pilchenstein posted:

Turns out I hadn't seen Mulholland Falls before, really enjoyed it though.

Oh, cool. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

For a film that's a touch less "crime-y" but dovetails so very nicely with No Sudden Move, check out Blue Collar (1978).

Xiahou Dun posted:

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

A fine recommendation! I need to revisit this myself.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 5, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I recently watched Rebel Without a Cause and the Wild One and while the angst and broodiness was great what I really enjoyed was the depiction of car/motorcycle culture from that era. Are there any other movies from that era or set in that era that are focused on car/motorcycle culture?

I'm kinda looking specifically for the feel of old school American speedways, more americana and less motorsport movies like Le Mans or Grand Prix.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Bike Riders which should be coming out this year. Oh now it's 24

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

I recently watched Rebel Without a Cause and the Wild One and while the angst and broodiness was great what I really enjoyed was the depiction of car/motorcycle culture from that era. Are there any other movies from that era or set in that era that are focused on car/motorcycle culture?

I'm kinda looking specifically for the feel of old school American speedways, more americana and less motorsport movies like Le Mans or Grand Prix.

It's more of a teen comedy but American Graffiti is a fun ride all these years later

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Easy Rider

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

These are all a bit later but Pit Stop from 1969 is a fun, sharp B-movie about drag racers that's more about it as a compulsion than a sport.

I'd also suggest Two-Lane Blacktop from 71, about drag racing as a sort of drifter lifestyle, and maybe The Loveless from 81, which is about a 50s greaser motorcycle gang inflaming the emotions of a repressed Southern town, although it's very much a dark and moody hangout film.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks everyone tons of great stuff to check out!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't believe nobody recommended The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow, which is just a Scooby-Doo episode with drag racers. Shameful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My mom was given a DVD player by a friend and mentioned she might try getting into DVDs, so I want to get her a couple DVDs. I got her What We Do In The Shadows (the movie) which I think she'll really like, but I want one more. Here's my list of specifications

A movie, not a TV show. to the best of my knowledge she never had much interest in serialized stories, and if I got her like a big Columbo box set I think that would be too big and she'd end up never starting it.
Not too long or sad or gory. I thought about The Nice Guys but I think that would be too violent.
Nothing that's just straight up for old ladies. I think she'd be bored by something like Mama Mia
Ideally something from this millennium
Nothing subtitled

She was never really into movies before so I can't think of any she's specifically mentioned she really liked. But she did really like Star Trek The Next Generation, for the ethical situations, not so much for the sci-fi. And Monty Python, and Mystery! on PBS.

Something pleasant. But not saccharine. A movie that's a good time but not in a dumb way

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 19, 2023

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My mom loved Gattaca. Maybe Big Fish? The King's Speech? The Artist?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'll throw out some that came to mind:

-Coco
-Frost/Nixon
-Licorice Pizza
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower
-The Squid and the Whale
-This Is 40
-What Women Want

Not sure if these are in the wheelhouse though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

regulargonzalez posted:

My mom loved Gattaca. Maybe Big Fish? The King's Speech? The Artist?

Gattaca is definitely a possibility. She'd like that it has Gore Vidal in it.

I feel like Big Fish a men's movie, a movie for dads not moms. I think my "no movies explicitly for old ladies" rules out The King's Speech. And The Artist is a silent film, so that's a solid no there.

Zogo posted:

I'll throw out some that came to mind:

-Coco
-Frost/Nixon
-Licorice Pizza
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower
-The Squid and the Whale
-This Is 40
-What Women Want

Not sure if these are in the wheelhouse though.

Frost/Nixon maybe. None of those other ones. I don't think she'd be interested in a straight up romcom. And definitely not a children's cartoon.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 20, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would you say the sweet spot for her is something like "movies made for adults but that don't take themselves too seriously, and have some thematic depth but aren't too heady"?

If so, some more recent stuff in that category would be The Green Knight, Sorry to Bother You, Banshees of Inisherin, In Bruges, Swiss Army Man, Knives Out, Colossal, Her, Wes Anderson stuff, Four Lions, La La Land...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

Would you say the sweet spot for her is something like "movies made for adults but that don't take themselves too seriously, and have some thematic depth but aren't too heady"?

If so, some more recent stuff in that category would be The Green Knight, Sorry to Bother You, Banshees of Inisherin, In Bruges, Swiss Army Man, Knives Out, Colossal, Her, Wes Anderson stuff, Four Lions, La La Land...

That's it, that's the one. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Banshees of inisherin left me feeling pretty gutted tbh. Maybe I didn't get it, but it was really sad imo. Funny, but sad.