Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder if GTA6 might release on whatever new Nintendo console is out by the time the game is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They've only mentioned PS5 and Xbox Series

Not even PC

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GTA6 looking like "Your PC is too old to run this" good.

A demo vid would be nice, so hopefully we'll see that sooner rather than later.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/vxquLsd.mp4

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rockstar "come up with a new city" challenge failed. They will keep cycling the same three locations until the heat death of the universe.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They already had St. Denis in Red Dead, let them go back to the well when it fits the goal of the game

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

More like GTA shits

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

They did London that one time, and whatever city GTA2 was set in

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lookit dat hat! :3:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Why can't we have GTA: Mumbai or GTA: Lagos or somethinf

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don't think i've ever seen a game with more money wasted on pointless bullshit that sucks than red dead 2 so i'm excited to see what gta 6 has in store. one billion dollars spent on making sure the game has a two minute long animation for when your car doesn't start and your guy keeps trying the ignition.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

fridge corn posted:

cos GTA became a series about making fun of America around 2000.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GTA1 had three cities: Liberty, Vice, Andreas (in that order, I think).
GTA2 was FUTURE CRIIIIMES and only had 1 city called "Anywhere, USA", but that city had 3 boroughs that acted as separate levels.
I believe GTA London was considered an expansion pack? But this one is the obvious exception to the rule.

After that:
GTA3 (Liberty)
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas (but included Los Venturas and San Fierro areas)
GTA4 (Liberty City)
GTA5 (San Andreas)
GTA6 (Vice City)

So, like, it's always kinda been about specifically Americana satire and parody, which makes sense since 100% of the world's population is justified in punching up against America.

But if I had to theorize, I'd say they'll shy away from any city moving forward that they can't use as a frame for 10+ years of possible content additions, so they need WIDE room in a setting to do whatever they want. They want all of these different themes and events, and American metropolises, whatever else they are, are places where cultures, events, holidays, viewpoints, interests, stories, themes, and neighborhoods actually can have a lot of variety while still maintaining a throughline sense of place.

mutata fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 5, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think i've ever seen a game with more money wasted on pointless bullshit that sucks than red dead 2 so i'm excited to see what gta 6 has in store. one billion dollars spent on making sure the game has a two minute long animation for when your car doesn't start and your guy keeps trying the ignition.

I just hope the game starts and I can start playing without a 2 hour long tutorial.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shard posted:

I just hope the game starts and I can start playing without a 2 hour long tutorial.

My prediction: the 1-off tutorial sequence that you can't return to, explore, or skip takes place in a separate city the size of GTA3. It will never be mentioned again.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Do you want to see a team of Scottish nerds write and design a satire of Mumbai or Lagos?

They're doing a bad enough job with America.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 5, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GTA5 release date: September 2013
GTA5 PC release date: April 2015

Stoked to play this in 2027!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A Sometimes Food posted:

Do you want to see a team of Scottish nerds write and design a satire of Mumbai or Lagos?

It’s this. Right from the start GTA has been people watching, misunderstanding , parodying and absurdifying American pop culture. It is what it is.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

mutata posted:

GTA5 release date: September 2013
GTA5 PC release date: April 2015

Stoked to play this in 2027!

2027... I hope we make it that far... By then, President Bernard "Bernie" Sanders will have made gamers illegal, or at least banned the use of tools or mods that make sekiro easier

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

2027... I hope we make it that far... By then, President Bernard "Bernie" Sanders will have made gamers illegal, or at least banned the use of tools or mods that make sekiro easier

I live in Vermont now, so Bernie will let me play it at his house when we all go over there for Christmas Eve every year.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does anyone have experience with Construction Simulator, or any similar games for PS4/Switch? My son is really into construction, he woke up this morning saying, “where are you motor grader where are you?”

I’m trying to find a construction game for him and would appreciate any input.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

this is how the rest of the world sees you deal with it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't even remember that V took place in SA. Are there even many comparisons to the original map? The main characters sucked but the guys you should be complaining about are the loser who keeps calling you every 5 minutes and Michael's son.

Doing a refresh of my system in the new year hopefully so it will stop bottlenecking my 3080ti, by the time the game comes out hopefully that refresh + 5080ti will handle it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Sometimes Food posted:

No, it's about right

I didn't play V but might go in on VI there

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

codo27 posted:

I didn't even remember that V took place in SA. Are there even many comparisons to the original map? The main characters sucked but the guys you should be complaining about are the loser who keeps calling you every 5 minutes and Michael's son.

Doing a refresh of my system in the new year hopefully so it will stop bottlenecking my 3080ti, by the time the game comes out hopefully that refresh + 5080ti will handle it

GTA San Andreas and GTA5 are not related beyond some winks and nods. Maps are completely different.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ijyt posted:

this is how the rest of the world sees you deal with it

I'm Australian lol.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

OhFunny posted:

For some reason I never really clicked with GTA. Even though I enjoyed a lot of the games inspired by it like Saints' Row, Sleeping Dogs, Mafia...

drat. Cursed to have good taste.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm Australian lol.

That's still how the rest of the world sees you :australia:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just want their to be more activities to do in the city like there is in Like a Dragon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

That's still how the rest of the world sees you :australia:

World isn't ready for the amount of C-bombs GTA:Australia would bring

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

the satire in robocop (also a work from a European director about america) is about as surface as it is in GTA except the satire in robocop is actually really funny

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

*Rockstar developer watches the entirety of the ED209 scene and frowns at the absence of realistic window breakage*

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, not specifically the GTA franchise but it would be cool to see some real world AAA games take place in places other than City, USA, London, or Tokyo. Like the only developer that even seems to try is Ubisoft and well... that's a drat shame!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Infinitum posted:

World isn't ready for the amount of C-bombs GTA:Australia would bring

Unironically 100% truth lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

another "gamer" who didn't play Mankind Divided...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I would not mind it if GTA6 was a departure from the writing of GTA5 and GTA4, but I also don't really care about the silly ads or product names or whatever because I am a basic bitch.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I saw a street vendor selling GTA Brazil or whatever once, but what was actually on the disc, I do not know.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A brazillion viruses

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I mean, not specifically the GTA franchise but it would be cool to see some real world AAA games take place in places other than City, USA, London, or Tokyo. Like the only developer that even seems to try is Ubisoft and well... that's a drat shame!!

At least there's Sleeping Dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

A brazillion viruses

god drat you lmao

Looking forward to first person mode in GTA6