Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Assessor of Maat posted:

on that it was all 0.5mm, but once it's on the model I sand it down a little so it conforms to the surface better. would've used 0.3mm for one or two bits if I had it to hand though, shaping that part for the shin took a couple of tries to bend without breaking them

They look awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I love how much of a grump the dark emissary is

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
tfw the Emperor’s Children you were sent to supervise spend all their time getting high instead of furthering the Warmaster’s aims.

Lovely mini, got a fair bit of proto-chaos armour trim as well as some old Luna Wolves iconography.

Yeah he’s a niche character but tbh those ‘embedded’ officers always seemed to have a lot of fun narrative possibility. SoH overseers, Word Bearer missionaries, Space Wolf watch packs, Imperial Fist adjutants, all slowly pissing off the legion they were dispatched to hang out with.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
That's two resin revised MkIVs in a row. Hurry up with the plastics, GW. Actually, no, take your time, I don't want a monkey's paw situation where they do plastic MkIVs but it's the command squad so you can only buy them in 5s and they cost as much as 20 MkVIs.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think there's a really good chance that a refreshed mkIV kit is the next major release. I'm a little disappointed in that just because I'd rather see mkII or mkV, but I'm certainly not upset about it. I just already have a mkIV core to my army and I don't really need more. Maybe I go insane and replace my old tacticals.

GhastlyBizness posted:

Yeah he’s a niche character but tbh those ‘embedded’ officers always seemed to have a lot of fun narrative possibility. SoH overseers, Word Bearer missionaries, Space Wolf watch packs, Imperial Fist adjutants, all slowly pissing off the legion they were dispatched to hang out with.
The emissary is a fantastic narrative option and something you could build a really cool army around. He's not great in melee (his weapon kind of sucks), but the leadership buffs he brings are very strong. This guy is absolutely meant to be at the heart of a traitor horde. It's that special mix of gameplay and narrative that I love about 30k.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/01/exemplary-battles-of-the-horus-heresy-tech-guard-bolster-the-cult-mechanicus/

Looks like this is the last exemplary battles article, including a new provenance for Imperialis Militia to make ‘tech-guard’.

These seem to carefully not be skitarii, just regular imperial scrubs better outfitted by the forge worlds. I think they’ve been mentioned in passing before when taking account of the various Mechanicum weirdos. Still wild that there’s been no easy way to represent skitarii properly besides an alt loadout for the titan protector dudes.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

GhastlyBizness posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/01/exemplary-battles-of-the-horus-heresy-tech-guard-bolster-the-cult-mechanicus/

Looks like this is the last exemplary battles article, including a new provenance for Imperialis Militia to make ‘tech-guard’.

These seem to carefully not be skitarii, just regular imperial scrubs better outfitted by the forge worlds. I think they’ve been mentioned in passing before when taking account of the various Mechanicum weirdos. Still wild that there’s been no easy way to represent skitarii properly besides an alt loadout for the titan protector dudes.

Last exemplary battle for now, anyway.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

GhastlyBizness posted:

Tech guard is what AdMech had in 40k before the codex flattened them into Skitarri.

Wonder what the zaniest combos you can pull off with the new ones.

Like Triaros roll up and vomits out some chaos-twisted cultists and poo poo.

E: unrelated, but does any book have more SAux plates than Manacheans, Acheans, Calth and Headhunters? I'm having an issue with my LI stuff.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

JcDent posted:

E: unrelated, but does any book have more SAux plates than Manacheans, Acheans, Calth and Headhunters? I'm having an issue with my LI stuff.

I don’t think there’s plates as such but Crusade had artwork of the Thramassi Nightwatch in a pretty cool looking red.

Otherwise, FW made a ton of SAux schemes that never got expanded on, only seeing the light of day at events and interviews: http://battlebunnies.blogspot.com/2014/06/imperial-army-schemes-what-scheme-do.html Not sure if there’s better pictures out there though.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

hmm, let's see... in addition to that spread of Kurze and the boys fighting some auxilia in Crusade, which as already noted are presumably intended to be the "Thramassi Nightwatch", Conquest also has a few plates of "Ash Scorpions" and "Lord Marshal's Own". past that Liber Imperium has another two small one-offs in form of the "Deathless" and "Indomitables". oh and the... "Bormanite Devils" have been deemed suitable poster boy material for the LI boxes so I'd assume they'll appear in a book soon, for however much that counts

there's like two others with insignia shown and nothing else (Arkadians, Saturnyne Rams). kind of funny that they've not thrown more random one-offs into the books to see what sticks, pretty frictionless way to pretty up the empty space in some of these you'd think

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JcDent posted:

Tech guard is what AdMech had in 40k before the codex flattened them into Skitarri.

Wonder what the zaniest combos you can pull off with the new ones.

Like Triaros roll up and vomits out some chaos-twisted cultists and poo poo.

Tech guard was an alternate name for skitarii before they got standardized by the codex, now it generally (but not always) refers to non-skitarii mechanicus/forgeworld military.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 3, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Man they really don't want people using skitarii models in 30k.

They don't seem to want them used in 40k either, but maybe that's changing?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

moths posted:

Man they really don't want people using skitarii models in 30k.

They don't seem to want them used in 40k either, but maybe that's changing?

I think it's actually easier than it looks.

I believe it was Arbiter Ian who pointed out that you can bring in a Titan Maniple detachment (Liber Mechanicum p. 64), which has as its compulsory choice 1 lord of war or 1 troops (optional: five more troops). So you can ignore the titan and instead field Secutarii Peltasts as your compulsory units, who can swap their default galvanic casters for radium carbines or arc rifles. There, legal heresy Skitarii using nothing more than what's on the skitarii sprues. Also, the description of the Titan Maniple detachment says the following:

"The Titan Maniple Detachment may be included as an Optional Detachment in any army that uses the Crusade Force Organization chart (this does not replace any other Optional Detachments in that Force Organization chart)."

...which I think means that while the Crusade Force Organization Chart normally only allows for one allied detachment, you can take the Titan Maniple detachment and your skitarii secutarii squads on top of that no matter what. So basically any army can run up to 120 skitarii. You don't even need any sort of HQ, since the HQ unit in the Titan Maniple is optional. (Alas, this does not work in Zone Mortalis.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 2, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh poo poo, that's wonderful! I'll have to take a look at my Liber Mechanicum later, because I've got a ton of those guys and ended up hating their rules.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand their resistance to adding skitarii to the game. I understand they are trying to differentiate the two settings a bit and this is a way to show the progression/regression of the mechanicum/mechanicus. They can leave out stuff like the cowboys or winged guys if they don't feel like they fit what they're going for in 30k, that's fine. I just don't see a reason the more basic stuff like the actual skitarii or sicarians can't be included in the mechanicum list. They're in some of the BL books already. They'd make starting a 30k army much easier if potential players didn't immediately have to get resin.

Genuinely, I think skitarii and a lot of the stuff from the 40k admech list would fulfill useful roles in the 30k list. There are definitely holes to fill there. Like decent infantry who can actually hold an objective and fight.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 3, 2023

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Safety Factor posted:

I don't understand their resistance to adding skitarii to the game. I understand they are trying to differentiate the two settings a bit and this is a way to show the progression/regression of the mechanicum/mechanicus. They can leave out stuff like the cowboys or winged guys if they don't feel like they fit what they're going for in 30k, that's fine. I just don't see a reason the more basic stuff like the actual skitarii or sicarians can't be included in the mechanicum list. They're in some of the BL books already. They'd make starting a 30k army much easier if potential players didn't immediately have to get resin.

Genuinely, I think skitarii and a lot of the stuff from the 40k admech list would fulfill useful roles in the 30k list. There are definitely holes to fill there. Like decent infantry who can actually hold an objective and fight.

It might be a corporate-level "Differentiate brand identity" thing.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
They should absolutely bring the regular basic Skitarri into 30k, and maybe the Electro-priests and Rustalkers, but please, dear god, leave the cowboys, winged DaVinci guys, chicken walkers, stay puff marshmallow robots, and most of the rest of the ridiculously silly 40K range out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

just make the resin plastic and add nothing

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I know they seem allergic to mixing and matching 30k and 40k stuff but they could just make all the Mechanicum robits in plastic and then give them rules in 40k so they can be the missing Cybernetica part of the army.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
GW just dropped a big bunch of 30k FAQs:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/05/warhammer-the-horus-heresy-faqs-and-errata-for-age-of-darkness-publications/

Highlights include clarifications on how exactly units in reserve work when they arrive on the table, armigers interacting with haywire and other anti-vehicle rules properly, and fulmentarus terminators getting nerfed into the loving ground.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
drat no bayonets on shrapnel bolters :(

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It also looks like big corresponding changes to haywire, and finally a clarification on shooting reactions prompting "instead of shooting" actions (you cannot do this.)

E: I misinterpreted the new haywire text

moths fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 5, 2023

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Lucinice posted:

drat no bayonets on shrapnel bolters :(

Was surprised by that one too, it's just supposed to be different ammo right?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The UM groups are losing their loving minds

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 6, 2023

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

The UM groups are looking their loving minds

:sickos:

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

already seen someone whinging that now it's "boring as hell" because they'll have to take a bunch of lascannons instead...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
lol @ the Fulmentarus change. Everyone knew they were broken as hell, come on.

Signed,

Someone that just built a gimmick army based around Fulmentarus for LVO.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 5, 2023

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Did they solve any of the problem units in Legacy etc. lists?

Well, I know they didn't do poo poo for the Minotaur, since the only change was to clarify that the HK missile is rear arc lol.

Also funny: basically the only Militia change is clarifying how the jump pack scouts work :allears:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm happy that I can bring knights without feeling like a dick!

They're already seriously overrated, but the armiger thing was a salt mine.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Clarifying that you can have multiple optional detachments is nice, it confirms that I can have an allied detachment and a knight household detachment which is cool, but the wording also implies I can have MULTIPLE ally detachments? Like, can I take 5 different allied detachments consisting if 1 librarian and 1 troop choice each and make some sort of insane chaos sorcerer cabal list?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Broken Record Talk posted:

They should absolutely bring the regular basic Skitarri into 30k, and maybe the Electro-priests and Rustalkers, but please, dear god, leave the cowboys, winged DaVinci guys, chicken walkers, stay puff marshmallow robots, and most of the rest of the ridiculously silly 40K range out.

Watch them add the stiltman but nothing else.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ristolaz posted:

I can have MULTIPLE ally detachments?

People on Reddit are talking about taking a detachment from every Legion in a super all-stars army.

I think it can get as silly as you want it to.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

moths posted:

People on Reddit are talking about taking a detachment from every Legion in a super all-stars army.

I think it can get as silly as you want it to.

...how many militia force commanders can I have?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh no.

Yep Muster of Worlds isn't tied to Warlord. Lol

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

JcDent posted:

...how many militia force commanders can I have?

I think it says something about different optional detachments needing to be different factions. I think??

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Q: Is there a limit on the number of Optional Detachments I can include in my Army?

A: No.

Designer’s Note: Including multiple Optional Detachments from different Factions may cause your army to have a complex series of Levels of Allegiance which require explaining to your opponent and tracking throughout your battle.

---

I think this one might get reversed by the end of the day. LI caps allied detachments at one per faction detachment, and that's way more sustainable.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Building an army of 1 Praetor and Retinue squad, plus 17 other HQs and a bunch of minimum Troops squads.

:discourse:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
My read of that is "Optional Detachments != Allied Detachment"

Allied Detachment is one Optional Detachment. Lord of War Detachment is another Optional Detachment. Titan Maniple Detachment is a third Optional Detachment, and Household Detachment (for Knights; Liber Mechanicum p. 74) is a fourth detachment that can be either a Primary or Optional Detachment. The question is, is there a limit to the number of these you can stuff into a single army, and the answer is no, in theory you can have your Primary Detachment and an Allied Detachment and a Titan Maniple Detachment and a Household Detachment and a Lord of War Detachment. Future books may include yet more detachments.

(Honestly it seems like an answer to the question "If I've got an army of space marines as my Primary Detachment and mechanicum as my Allied Detachment plus one knight taken as a Lord of War detachment, can I use that Titan Maniple Detachment trick to backdoor some skitarii in as counts-as-secutarii, or is there some sort of limit here?")

This legitimately does not read like a change to anything, just a clarification of an unstated assumption.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 5, 2023

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

from the faq:

"As such, an army whose Primary Detachment is from a given Space Marine Legion may select Allied Detachments
of Space Marines as long as each Allied Detachment is from a different Legion (and thus a different Faction) to the
Primary Detachment"

seems like it's saying you can take multiple allied, but there is room for debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ristolaz posted:

from the faq:

"As such, an army whose Primary Detachment is from a given Space Marine Legion may select Allied Detachments
of Space Marines as long as each Allied Detachment is from a different Legion (and thus a different Faction) to the
Primary Detachment"

seems like it's saying you can take multiple allied, but there is room for debate

Huh. That is ambiguous. Weird.