Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

They are pretty roomy, this morning my 2nd gen hauled my large format portable darkroom setup pretty much entirely in the cargo area, didn't even put the seats down (I left the table in the back seat area because it was easier than wedging it in on top). The back seats do fold flat so it's pretty good for hauling stuff, people also build little camper setups out of them as well.

Priusoffroad does sell a 1.5" lift kit if you'd like a bit more clearance/visibility.

bicievino posted:

I've got a 2021, and haven't driven the new model - it looks a bit more sedan-like aesthetically, although I don't think it's fundamentally different.
There's no getting around the fact that you're a lot lower to the ground than a truck.
It's also an appliance first and foremost - it's not a terribly inspired driving experience. I've never had an issue with enough acceleration for any driving conditions, though, and the faux-awd has come in handy for getting out of iced up parking lots (it has a secondary motor that drives the rear wheels when needed but only at very low speeds).

The second gens have issues with traction control on ice (if you regularly drive in it some people recommend learning the little combination of things to disable it), the newer ones with the hybrid AWD thing seem like they'd be really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I bought my car used in GA. Since it was financed, Chase held on to the title.

I moved to New York and Chase sent the title to the NY DMV.

Apparently in NY both the lienholder and the owner are supposed to have copies of the title, but NY very unhelpfully does not automatically issue you a copy of the new title. You're supposed to ask (and pay) for a duplicate. Nobody at the DMV tells you this.

I found all of this out when I was supposed to drop my car off at Carmax so now I get to see if the duplicate arrives before the Carmax quote expires.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I'm in a bit of an oddball situation and would like some feedback:

Currently I own a financed 2020 Nissan Leaf S plus w/ 20k miles. Owe about $17,219 @ 4.6%. Trade in quotes are significantly under this amount ranging from 11k-16.5k. So more than likely I am underwater on the loan. The monthly payment is $390.99. I can afford the payment fine and the car itself is fine, but obsolete as far as EVs go (Chademo charging for those who don't know is somewhat rare nowadays and prohibits the car from doing extended roadtrips reliably). Car is in fine working condition no issues, and no serious battery degradation. I think I'm in the position where I want to offload the car in a trade in to avoid further depreciation. I'd like to get another EV and at this point, I'm eyeing cheap monthly payment leases because at least in my experience the depreciation on an EV seems worse than ICE cars since they rapidly iterate. Now, from what I remember the general wisdom is that Leases are always worse than financing but given the EV depreciation effect and the sky high interest rates am I correct that leasing would be a better move given the current market conditions? Ideally, I'd love to get a lease payment down in the 200s and improve my cashflow while offloading an obsolete EV. Add in the fact that I live in NJ and I should be able to offset my downpayment (should one be required) with the state rebate incentive on EVs which is about $2-4k (I took advantage of this on my leaf). Anything I'm missing?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

To make sure I understand you correctly: you want to take a loss on your currently depreciated EV that you seem happy enough with operating to have a loan on another, also to depreciate, EV?

Why?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

To make sure I understand you correctly: you want to take a loss on your currently depreciated EV that you seem happy enough with operating to have a loan on another, also to depreciate, EV?

Why?

Sell low, buy high. Everyone knows that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

truck leaf equity

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This?

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I think I'm in the position where I want to offload the car in a trade in to avoid further depreciation.
This is hosed. Do not treat your car like an investment. Your car is to get you from a to b. All cars depreciate the moment you drive it off the lot. Your mystical new head car will depreciate the moment you sign the lease.

This?

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Owe about $17,219 @ 4.6%
This is good. Lower rate than what is being sold now, start making double payments and it'll be paid off in 21 months. Otherwise it'll take 3.5 years. Goddamn 5 year loans gently caress

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

This?

This is hosed.

Selling to "avoid further depreciation" and replacing it with something that will depreciate much much much faster" is just some galaxy brain thinking to the point this has to all be a huge self justification for "I just want a new car".

And if you can afford a new car, it's okay to buy one. But lol at this:

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Ideally, I'd love to get a lease payment down in the 200s

You're not getting that while rolling you neggy eggy into the new lease.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Mustache Ride posted:

This?

This is hosed. Do not treat your car like an investment. Your car is to get you from a to b. All cars depreciate the moment you drive it off the lot. Your mystical new head car will depreciate the moment you sign the lease.

Right totally agree 100%. I'm treating the money I've put into the leaf as lost. What I'm getting at is should I treat a car like a utility that I pay monthly for the privilege using ie a lease.

Mustache Ride posted:

This is good. Lower rate than what is being sold now, start making double payments and it'll be paid off in 21 months. Otherwise it'll take 3.5 years. Goddamn 5 year loans gently caress

See, my only argument against double payments is I'd rather take that extra $390 a month and toss into my savings account where it will get 4.3%. Yes it's lower than the rate on my auto loan, but I have ready access to that cash while it earns interest.

A few other points that I may have overstated: There's nothing wrong with the leaf per se. In fact it's been a fine second car in the household, but that situation has changed where the leaf is now the primary mode of transportation and going any farther than say 150 miles becomes a little dicey due to the crappy fast charging capability. Not a huge deal but an inconvenience I'd rather not have to worry about.

Motronic posted:

Selling to "avoid further depreciation" and replacing it with something that will depreciate much much much faster" is just some galaxy brain thinking to the point this has to all be a huge self justification for "I just want a new car".

Sure, I'm not trying to justify anything other than "my current car is a bit more inconvenient than a newer car". What I'm trying to figure out is at what price point does it make sense to lease vs finance said new car. If I can significantly reduce my payment and put those savings into an interest bearing account why not? It's all money down the drain anyway effectively.

Motronic posted:

And if you can afford a new car, it's okay to buy one. But lol at this:

You're not getting that while rolling you neggy eggy into the new lease.

You very well might be right on that, but my plan is to ask around at a few lease brokers and see what I can get around the end of the month. If they get desperate enough I might snag a deal who knows.

The other key factor here is my state's EV incentive program. I'm waiting to hear back if the program is still funded that way no matter what I do lease/finance I can lay out the cash and then get a check from the state in a few months which is what I did last time.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Get real offers from iBuyers (Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, Driveway, GiveMeTheVin, etc) to find out how much you're actually upside down. If the offers are closer to $12k than $16k you're automatically adding $138 a month (Assuming 36 month lease) to whatever new lease you get.

edit: i was going to write a long post but just read leasehackr's leasing 101 and lurk in the "ask the hackrs" section to learn more about leasing. It's a good time to lease an EV but do not under any circumstances just blindly walk into a dealer without knowing what you're doing.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 5, 2023

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Not sure if you realize this based on your post but you will still pay all the depreciation yourself on a lease.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

dopesilly posted:

Need a car recommendation, or at least a few makes/years/models I should check out.

Proposed Budget: $20-$30K
New or Used: Interest rates are lower for new, used cars are pretty insanely expensive, so I'm not sure whether to go used or new.
Body Style: 4 door
How will you be using the car?: I live in the northeast so hopefully AWD or FWD, will probably rideshare/delivery inbetween jobs with it, mostly daily driver.
What aspects are most important to you?: MPG, reliability, comfort

I keep looking at used Rav4s and Rav4 hybrids, but the used prices for 2-3 year old models are almost identical to new 2023/2024 models. I previously owned Toyotas and Hondas and had very good experiences despite them being used cars, but I'm concerned about how expensive the used car market is these days. A used 2021-2023 Rav4 hybrid is going for like $30k near me, a new one is $32-35k...doesn't make much sense to me to go used?

I went with the cr-v hybrid instead of the rav4 hybrid primarily because of the high voltage corrosion issues that Toyota has been dealing with for the last few years- salt is getting into the cable and rotting it out and requiring replacement after a few years with a bill on the order of 5-7.5k iirc. While they're covering it under warranty for now it's a headache and a resale value killer I didn't want to deal with. If you're in the Northeast you probably have similar salt issues.

I've been very happy with the new model cr-v, btw, and make the same evaluation you did for new vs used (prices on used were even worse at the start of the year when I purchased it.)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Right totally agree 100%. I'm treating the money I've put into the leaf as lost. What I'm getting at is should I treat a car like a utility that I pay monthly for the privilege using ie a lease.

See, my only argument against double payments is I'd rather take that extra $390 a month and toss into my savings account where it will get 4.3%. Yes it's lower than the rate on my auto loan, but I have ready access to that cash while it earns interest.

A few other points that I may have overstated: There's nothing wrong with the leaf per se. In fact it's been a fine second car in the household, but that situation has changed where the leaf is now the primary mode of transportation and going any farther than say 150 miles becomes a little dicey due to the crappy fast charging capability. Not a huge deal but an inconvenience I'd rather not have to worry about.

Sure, I'm not trying to justify anything other than "my current car is a bit more inconvenient than a newer car". What I'm trying to figure out is at what price point does it make sense to lease vs finance said new car. If I can significantly reduce my payment and put those savings into an interest bearing account why not? It's all money down the drain anyway effectively.

You very well might be right on that, but my plan is to ask around at a few lease brokers and see what I can get around the end of the month. If they get desperate enough I might snag a deal who knows.

The other key factor here is my state's EV incentive program. I'm waiting to hear back if the program is still funded that way no matter what I do lease/finance I can lay out the cash and then get a check from the state in a few months which is what I did last time.

Id still be paying the car off sooner than putting it into savings. The numbers are close but not negligible, and youre guaranteeing months more of having $CARPAYMENT less in your pocket.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Its a similar argument to buying a home vs renting, although obviously cars are always depreciating. Paid off cars are attractive because you no longer have a car payment. That frees up a lot of cash flow and can help people meet substantial financial goals they would be unable to meet otherwise.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The problem with leases is that every 3 years you get to roll the dice on how bad the car market is with very little flexibility unless you can just live without a car for months.

And if you want to buy out your lease, you'll probably need a loan for what is now a used car with higher interest rates.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Isnt there a unique incentive to lease specifically new electric cars as a result of the provisions in the IRA capping government rebates? I remember this coming up before

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

buffalo all day posted:

Isnt there a unique incentive to lease specifically new electric cars as a result of the provisions in the IRA capping government rebates? I remember this coming up before

If I remember correctly the federal incentive is up to $7,500 but not all models qualify for the full amount due to sourcing. However, those restrictions are far more relaxed for dealers offering leases so basically a lot of dealers have been passing on that $7500 as a lease incentive. A lot of people circumvent the restricted incentive as a buyer by leasing the vehicle with the full $7500 then just immediately buying out the lease.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023

Roseo posted:

I went with the cr-v hybrid instead of the rav4 hybrid primarily because of the high voltage corrosion issues that Toyota has been dealing with for the last few years- salt is getting into the cable and rotting it out and requiring replacement after a few years with a bill on the order of 5-7.5k iirc. While they're covering it under warranty for now it's a headache and a resale value killer I didn't want to deal with. If you're in the Northeast you probably have similar salt issues.

I've been very happy with the new model cr-v, btw, and make the same evaluation you did for new vs used (prices on used were even worse at the start of the year when I purchased it.)

Nice

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 6, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

buffalo all day posted:

Yes, it allows customers to get the full value of incentives on cars that dont actually qualify for full incentives.

Im not sure why the leaf guy thinks that theyre going to get a lease on a new car for 200 bucks a month. The cheapest lease deals I can see are for the Kia Forte at 210/month 24 months with 2800 down. Youre going to roll negative equity - theres just no way in hell youre going to get down to that number.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Proposed Budget: 20-30k. Could pay more but unenthusiastic about that.
New or Used: Either, ugh, I dont know
Body Style: 4 door suv or crossover, probably

How will you be using the car?: Family of two adults for occasional in town trips during the week, no regular commute. The real big heavy use is weekend warrior expeditions to trailheads for hiking. Cargo space is a plus for lugging car camping stuff, wife also wants to get a dog

What aspects are most important to you? reliability, ground clearance, awd.

Alas we are in a condo with one parking space and no convenient way to run a plug that isnt a fifty foot extension cord, so chasing ev rebates doesnt seem attractive

My personal dream car is probably something like a 4runner, in the form of a reliable 4wd that fears no forest road, but that is likely not an affordable dream.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Short answer: buy a used 4Runner then if that's your dream vehicle, plenty of lightly-used options in that price range.

Longer answer: "Forest road" is highly variable from road to road, but I'd wager the majority of forest roads are graded and maintained well enough that in dry conditions, anything that isn't a super-low sports car with long overhangs would be able to make it without getting stuck or damaged. A bone-stock 4Runner is more than capable of handling the vast majority of forest roads, even in poor conditions and forest roads that get very little maintenance. The only ones it might have trouble with are going to be the ones that are less "road" and more "trail". So could you get away with a more typical crossover like a Highlander or RAV4 or whatever and still get to where you want to go? Probably. But I don't think the negatives of a 4Runner are so severe as to tell you "don't buy a 4Runner" if that's your dream vehicle.

I also don't think there's much else on the market that's hugely compelling over the 4Runner for your use case. The Bronco would be the only other serious option but I don't think those exist sub-$30k yet. The Colorado / Ranger / Tacoma are similarly capable but they're trucks, not SUVs; the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, and Forester could also probably get you where you want to go and then some, but :lol: at Jeep or Subaru reliability. At least you didn't roll in here with a lie about how fuel mileage is your number one concern.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Short answer: buy a used 4Runner then if that's your dream vehicle, plenty of lightly-used options in that price range.

Longer answer: "Forest road" is highly variable from road to road, but I'd wager the majority of forest roads are graded and maintained well enough that in dry conditions, anything that isn't a super-low sports car with long overhangs would be able to make it without getting stuck or damaged. A bone-stock 4Runner is more than capable of handling the vast majority of forest roads, even in poor conditions and forest roads that get very little maintenance. The only ones it might have trouble with are going to be the ones that are less "road" and more "trail". So could you get away with a more typical crossover like a Highlander or RAV4 or whatever and still get to where you want to go? Probably. But I don't think the negatives of a 4Runner are so severe as to tell you "don't buy a 4Runner" if that's your dream vehicle.

I also don't think there's much else on the market that's hugely compelling over the 4Runner for your use case. The Bronco would be the only other serious option but I don't think those exist sub-$30k yet. The Colorado / Ranger / Tacoma are similarly capable but they're trucks, not SUVs; the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, and Forester could also probably get you where you want to go and then some, but :lol: at Jeep or Subaru reliability. At least you didn't roll in here with a lie about how fuel mileage is your number one concern.

If fuel mileage was my only concern I would be buying a prius and a cat shield, ofc.

Currently we have a 2009 honda crv that is toast due to the trailing arm recall. That gave us confidence for the majority(3/4?) of forest roads. There are many others that have good and popular trailheads behind them that have nasty, even legendary reputations. The local USFS guys do the best they can with what they have, but.

We could certainly be ok with another CRV. We had also been tempted by a Subaru Crosstrek. However we have heard some horror stories about CVTs, subaru in particular . We have also heard Subaru has improved and Consumer Reports rates their recent model years highly. Can you go into your knowledge of relative reliability in
more detail?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Natty Ninefingers posted:

If fuel mileage was my only concern I would be buying a prius and a cat shield, ofc.

Currently we have a 2009 honda crv that is toast due to the trailing arm recall. That gave us confidence for the majority(3/4?) of forest roads. There are many others that have good and popular trailheads behind them that have nasty, even legendary reputations. The local USFS guys do the best they can with what they have, but….

We could certainly be ok with another CRV. We had also been tempted by a Subaru Crosstrek. However we have heard some horror stories about CVTs, subaru in particular . We have also heard Subaru has improved and Consumer Reports rates their recent model years highly. Can you go into your knowledge of relative reliability in
more detail?

Buy a Crosstrek but get in manual.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Heres a cost-friendly option for anyone looking at a crosstrek: buy an Impreza hatch and put a 2-3 lift on it and slightly larger tires. Its the only difference between the two (besides the $3k up charge for the crosstrek)

You can certainly get a lift and tires for under $3k.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 7, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Or just don't put the lift on it and buy good tires because if the Impreza isn't getting you there on those tires the crosstrek isn't either on those same tires. You're not rock crawling or mud bogging and most people vastly underestimate the capabilities of just any generic rear end car with the right tires on it, never mind something with legit AWD and the right tires for the job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Seriously do not buy an Impreza and lift it :wtc:

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Motronic posted:

Or just don't put the lift on it and buy good tires because if the Impreza isn't getting you there on those tires the crosstrek isn't either on those same tires. You're not rock crawling or mud bogging and most people vastly underestimate the capabilities of just any generic rear end car with the right tires on it, never mind something with legit AWD and the right tires for the job.

My concern is more potholes, washouts, and ruts

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Seriously do not buy an Impreza and lift it :wtc:

Thats literally what a crosstrek is.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if a crv could do it literally anything can do it

edit: let me rephrase that. if a crv was handling all your usage fine before you probably don't need to be all that concerned with the ride height of your car.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 7, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Some a/t tires on a used 7 series would probably get you to 90% of the places you want to go.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Proposed Budget: 20-30k. Could pay more but unenthusiastic about that.
New or Used: Either, ugh, I don’t know
Body Style: 4 door suv or crossover, probably

How will you be using the car?: Family of two adults for occasional in town trips during the week, no regular commute. The real big heavy use is weekend warrior expeditions to trailheads for hiking. Cargo space is a plus for lugging car camping stuff, wife also wants to get a dog

What aspects are most important to you? reliability, ground clearance, awd.

Alas we are in a condo with one parking space and no convenient way to run a plug that isn’t a fifty foot extension cord, so chasing ev rebates doesn’t seem attractive

My personal dream car is probably something like a 4runner, in the form of a reliable 4wd that fears no forest road, but that is likely not an affordable dream.

We were in the same boat as you a handful of years ago (including city parking at a condo). You can probably find some of my earlier posts about it here actually.

Didn't want a pickup. Didn't want Jeep reliability. Bronco didn't exist yet. That really just left Subarus and the 4Runner. It was a close thing, but after test drives we talked ourselves into the price bump for a new 4Runner.

Our use case is a little more than trailheads, since I enjoy exploring old forest service and BLM roads just for fun. But it's also not hardcore rock crawling or anything. I'm confident that a Forester or Outback could handle 95%+ of the things we do off pavement, and with nearly twice the MPG.

But we don't regret it. It's a great car. The current gen 4Runner feels like an old, dated, reliable tank of an SUV, both for good and bad. A new one is right around the corner, apparently. Maybe 5th gens will start popping up cheaper used after that comes out.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i drive a tacoma which is bascailly just a 4runner with the back cut into a bed and i love it and the traditional transfer case 4wd but man does the gas mileage loving SUCK

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And I'm saying you don't need a truck or SUV for that. You are vastly underestimating what any regular rear end car can do with proper tires. You are going by marketing, which is telling you that you need to buy something that fits the image of going to trailheads and leading an outdoor life, while in real life people are literally bombing fire roads with 20 year old subaru imprezas (like legit rally racing) and there are other people taking their crown vics and mini vans out onto trails and rocks that most people think require a lifted jeep on huge tires.

If you want the look then pay for it and buy the look. But don't try to justify it as a need.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Motronic posted:

And I'm saying you don't need a truck or SUV for that. You are vastly underestimating what any regular rear end car can do with proper tires. You are going by marketing, which is telling you that you need to buy something that fits the image of going to trailheads and leading an outdoor life, while in real life people are literally bombing fire roads with 20 year old subaru imprezas (like legit rally racing) and there are other people taking their crown vics and mini vans out onto trails and rocks that most people think require a lifted jeep on huge tires.

If you want the look then pay for it and buy the look. But don't try to justify it as a need.

When I was in the New Mexico mountains wilderness this past summer, about half the vehicles were big trucks, most of them pulling trailers. A sizable number of SUVs and some CUVs, and a lot of Jeeps/Broncos. The road was complete washboard and had a fair amount of potholes on the side paths.

And one little old lady who stopped to ask from directions in a Toyota Camry. She didn't even have good tires.

We had bad tires on one of our two trucks and it was a huge difference between rental highway tires and all-terrains on Tacoma, especially for the guy driving who didn't know how to deal with wheelspin.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Whereabouts are you hiking? I'm in Nevada. Most of my Sierra trailheads that I enjoy (the less-popular spots) are also very difficult to get to w/o better clearance. The washouts and ruts are really bad. And then for deep BLM camping, access is extremely bad.

I had an older (99?) 4runner that was perfect until it finally succumbed to rust. The best trails car and very good in the desert as well. Now I'm using my old work truck (2010 F250) and it'll get me there but is a horrible time and miserable daily driver.

I'd just buy a new 4 runner for another 20-year car but they're just so darn big now. And even the used cost, for something that I am going to pinstripe the hell out of day 1, is a mental hangup.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I can drive up a volcano in a Challenger, you can get to a trail head in an Impreza.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've definitely taken a rental Challenger over a couple dirt washouts to get to a trailhead. Obviously easier with a spotter. When people say they want a lifted car for potholes and washouts I hear "I want to drive badly over road problems" but OP is gonna know more about what trail heads they are scared to get to in a CR-V.

Tldr for the OP is if you have some trailheads or roads in mind that you can't do now do to physical ability or even confidence, then you're looking for a used 4 runner. Otherwise you should re-up your CR-V or a Rav 4 and can likely do so new if you're able to wait for delivery. Maybe test out a CX-50 or Forester but you're getting into slightly less reliability expectation - they are fine but they aren't Toyota or Honda find. I wouldn't touch a Crosstrek with a hiking pole but I don't really have good reasons to stop you besides personal preference and a reminder the marketing is thought more about than the off-road engineering.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KillHour posted:

If I can drive up a volcano in a Challenger, you can get to a trail head in an Impreza.

Why does this look like it's from a video game or something

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

zedprime posted:

I've definitely taken a rental Challenger over a couple dirt washouts to get to a trailhead. Obviously easier with a spotter.

A big part of that statement right there. Yes, you can get almost anything almost anywhere if you take it slow, carefully evaluate every single wheel placement, and have someone willing to hop out and make sure you aren't crunching the bumper or oil pan on something. I've done camping trips in minivans, fullsize sedans, and lowered pickups, and you can get there and back just fine.

But it's really nice having enough suspension travel and ground clearance to not have to do those things every time you leave a perfectly graded road. How much this luxury is worth to you (in terms of purchase and running costs) is up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, but this is about trailhead access. Thoughtful driving should be sufficient.