Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Phyrexian Dreadnought when?
That's all I need, Dreadnought necropotence/shadow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gonna be partying like it's 2020 setting stops for my 3 Wilderness Reclamations to dig for Nexus and Time Warp

E: also I haven't been paying attention is this the first time they confirmed that MH3 is going into Arena?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eej posted:

Gonna be partying like it's 2020 setting stops for my 3 Wilderness Reclamations to dig for Nexus and Time Warp

I can't wait lol. Historic Nexus is an all-timer for me.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Pretty sure when Sheoldred was spoiled people weren't even that high on her because she's arguably worse than Siege Rhino even if the opponent takes 2 turns to remove it and much worse than Siege Rhino if they're able to remove it immediately.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Other than the legendary lands has Kethis received anything cool in the past few years?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I skimmed the article what is the difference between timeless and historic?
Restrict vs banning?
No errata cards?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

HootTheOwl posted:

Restrict vs banning?
No errata cards?

Every card is legal including The List stuff like Mystical Archives

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Restrict vs banning?
No errata cards?

- historic has a ban list, timeless currently does not (all cards on arena are legal) but it has a restricted list
- historic uses all rebalanced cards, timeless uses original printings of paper cards and rebalanced versions of digital cards
- that's it

kalel fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 5, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
cards that will be timeless legal when the format drops, but not historic legal (other than the aforementioned fetches): swords to plowshares, counterspell, demonic tutor (restricted), brainstorm, dark ritual, lightning bolt, thassa's oracle, field of the dead, veil of summer, ragavan, tibalt's trickery (restricted), land tax, necropotence, wilderness reclamation, blood moon, oko, time warp, mishra's bauble, natural order, agent of treachery, sneak attack, uro, nexus of fate, intruder alarm, memory lapse, once upon a time, spreading seas, and channel (restricted)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Now give me non-alchemy historic brawl and I'll be happy

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

fadam posted:

Other than the legendary lands has Kethis received anything cool in the past few years?

Rona sees play in the deck. I think Gwenna too?

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

fadam posted:

Phyrexianized Jace was a strong get for it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

Pretty sure when Sheoldred was spoiled people weren't even that high on her because she's arguably worse than Siege Rhino even if the opponent takes 2 turns to remove it and much worse than Siege Rhino if they're able to remove it immediately.

I was very high on sheoldred because it was immediately obvious her statline was ridiculously good against aggro even ignoring the ability (you cannot ignore the ability, it prevents you from closing the game).

edit: Also it's literally the most played creature right now in standard, while Atraxa is only #10

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/standard

I seriously don't get why people get fixated on a 7 mana wincon when sheoldred is the creature that's actually been all over the place since it was printed.

Algid fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 5, 2023

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
They fixate on atraxa because atraxa sucks to play against and sheoldred does not suck to play against.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sheoldred dies to removal, atraxa dies to removal but also draws you usually 4-6 cards.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Have you considered simply winning the game before your opponent gets to 7 mana?

"There's a deck that outsizes midrange value piles" is not an actual problem for standard.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Silhouette posted:

loving cowards didn't unban hymn in pauper, but it's "being considered"

Edit: also swiftspear should've also taken synth with it, that card enables too much bullshit and value in too many decks

Hymn leads to so many non games, it shouldn't be legal. Especially in a format with Dark Ritual.

I'm super glad they left synth, none of the decks it enables are overpowered other than maybe mono red, and they nerfed mono red. Jeskai affinity has one good result, boros synth is a lovely midrange deck that draws a bunch of cards but doesn't do anything.

Also, Synth is magic as Richard Garfield intended it - for one mana, you get to draw 3 cards. One of them is a 2/2 for three mana. Perfection.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Algid posted:

Have you considered simply winning the game before your opponent gets to 7 mana?

"There's a deck that outsizes midrange value piles" is not an actual problem for standard.

I don't think it's necessarily a problem for the actual meta, but it absolutely sucks in a way that the other two big seven mana "i win" spells in the format don't, because it COMPLETELY invalidates the entire game before that instead of just being a massive swing in that direction. Someone casts an etali or a virtue of persistance, okay that's a massive shift in their favor to the game but hey they tapped out right, got a big enough board you might be able to swing in for those last few points of damage. That loving lifelink on atraxa means even that's not true. It's have removal that turn AND have a big enough board to win the game, or that's it unless they hella whiffed on the cards they grabbed.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

fadam posted:

Rona herald of invasion and Agatha’s soul caldron

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Time posted:

RE: Fadam - I know you dont agree with this so this isnt me trying to convince you but instead just trying to articulate why I like gameplans with discard etc!!!

i think thoughtseize effects and decks that revolve around making games "small" are good for formats as a way to balance things becoming a race to make and obtain more rectangles and life. Modern was very good when shadow existed as a way shrink boardstates and hands into 2-3 relevant cards over 2-3 relevant turns. That lethality feels good as a looming threat. I dont think I need shadow specifically to be the deck, and scam was too good at it in its final form, but earlier on before it had all the parts it eventually had, scam was a nice counterbalance to the "im going to play omnath 4 times a game and gain 30 life" decks of the time. I think a format that has the lurking idea that "your deck needs consistency and a plan b or it will be punished harshly in certain matchups" feels better to me. It leads to more diversity in matchups as some decks become designed to prey on others, sideboards become much more valuable and versatile, etc. It changes the aggro, combo, control matchup spread by wedging itself in between them and forcing the rise of other decks that prey on poo poo like shadow.

I understand that some people will never like having their gameplan disrupted that way and this is not an attempt say they should think differently. also forgive this as a stream of consciousness post :)
Just wanted to say that I consistently enjoy your posts, I think your analyses are usually sound and you articulate them well. I'm not much of a constructed player at all but your thoughts make a lot of sense to me and I'm happy to read them!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bugsy posted:

Rona herald of invasion and Agatha’s soul caldron

Oh drat, Cauldron must be pretty good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Timeless is basically just Vintage Alchemy, except the Historic cards are the normal versions.

Sounds fun, I'll play it in between doing 2000000000000x Triple Khans drafts next week.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

So Historic is Arena Legacy, and Timeless is Arena Vintage?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

That's probably the best analogy, yes

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Timeless legit sounds fun, might dust off my old account and see what I can jam together

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Timeless legit sounds fun, might dust off my old account and see what I can jam together

Yeah I am very hype for it. The handwringing about the technical presence of alchemy cards is misplaced, I can't think of a single one that's gonna be a factor in the format day 1.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah I am very hype for it. The handwringing about the technical presence of alchemy cards is misplaced, I can't think of a single one that's gonna be a factor in the format day 1.

Assemble the Team is probably a thing. But, I don't think any of the specialize or spellbook cards are any good, which is what I would be afraid of having to have in my brain for the format.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

I haven't played since they added all that stuff. Honestly my card pool is crazy limited as I'm just not into standard and sorta fell off playing

Maybe I'll start drafting again a little bit or something? I'll probably need the wildcards.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Judgy Fucker posted:

The RG card that lets you cascade is pretty broken.
Also Oracle of the Alpha will be in every blue deck.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

The high roll on that card where you get timewalk or ancestral seems good, but like.. top decking it late game and rolling a mox seems like a pretty big downside for a 3 mana 2/3 flier

even if you high roll lotus late game it's nowhere near as good as just.. having a lotus in your deck in vintage. Maybe I'm really underrating it though :shrug:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

I really don't think a 3-mana 2/3 flyer that puts a bunch of ramping stuff into your deck on turn 3 will be a big factor in the same format that has the likes of Dark Ritual, Necropotence, Blood Moon, Oko, etc. etc. but I could be wrong!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The modern RCQ's this weekend are going to be loving wild.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The high roll on that card where you get timewalk or ancestral seems good, but like.. top decking it late game and rolling a mox seems like a pretty big downside for a 3 mana 2/3 flier

even if you high roll lotus late game it's nowhere near as good as just.. having a lotus in your deck in vintage. Maybe I'm really underrating it though :shrug:

It's not just one of the Nine, it's all of them. Then do that three more times. Then bounce and recur it. Then play either another win con or just attack for several turns in a row with your birds your opponent can't stop because they haven't taken a turn for ten minutes while you're durdling with your deck that is now Mostly Power Nine.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

It's not just one of the Nine, it's all of them. Then do that three more times. Then bounce and recur it. Then play either another win con or just attack for several turns in a row with your birds your opponent can't stop because they haven't taken a turn for ten minutes while you're durdling with your deck that is now Mostly Power Nine.

Oh I definitely misread that

It must play a lot better than it looks though, or there must be serious draw engines in the format because churning through 50 moxes + 10 lotuses that I'm using to ramp into nothing or whatever feels like you're going to end up just sort of.. doing nothing for a bunch of turns but playing a bunch of ramp. Like every mox you draw late game could've been a threat or powerful answer which would be way more helpful imo

Like what makes moxen and lotus so busted is you're using them to accelerate your first few turns into the stratosphere, so drawing a whole bunch of them past T5 doesn't intuitively seem good to me

edit: Like I'm imagining the scenario where you've bounced it a few times or whatever, you've probably drawn a bunch of cards so a good chunk of your deck is power nine. Then you cast ancestral and you get like.. 3 mox emeralds while your opponent plays something that can actually advance their gameplan

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think the implication is, the draw engine is Ancestral Recall and Timetwister.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think the implication is, the draw engine is Ancestral Recall and Timetwister.

yeah I guess that's true, your timetwisters are going to be nutty when you've bounced it two or three times and start playing incredible amounts of ramp into more twisters/ancestrals

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've found that the kind of deck Atraxa is in usually has cards that feel way worse to play against than the stuff Sheoldred is together with, as bad as Sheoldred also is.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Weird Pumpkin posted:

yeah I guess that's true, your timetwisters are going to be nutty when you've bounced it two or three times and start playing incredible amounts of ramp into more twisters/ancestrals

And then you play several Time Walks and attack with several 2/3 flyers, yes. It's an extremely durdly card, and in a format with several other busted-rear end things it isn't the clear best, but it's probably blue's best single-card engine.

e: The scry is also important for keeping the amount of "do nothing" mana in check, as well.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 5, 2023

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

yes. also, explorer is arena pioneer and alchemy is hearthstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

And then you play several Time Walks and attack with several 2/3 flyers, yes. It's an extremely durdly card, and in a format with several other busted-rear end things it isn't the clear best, but it's probably blue's best single-card engine.

e: The scry is also important for keeping the amount of "do nothing" mana in check, as well.

makes sense, it sounds like one of those decks that's extremely annoying to run up against in BO1, but not near as strong in BO3

If you cast 2 timewalks do you get 2 extra turns? I've never even thought to ask that question before