Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Brawnfire posted:

"Why do y'all keep asking me if that's enough? Of course an egg is enough for me, I'm ordering it ain't I?"

lmao

*On my annual holiday to the Costa Blanca, sat outside a cafe wearing a tank top with a British bulldog print on it, still proudly ignorant of the words 'desayuno ingles' or 'cerveza,' literally the only things my toddler-like palate can handle* "if we 'ad sun like this in Ingurland I don't fink we'd bother goin' anywhere forrin, would we Wendy?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm still giggling over the restaurant I've been at that had a dish referred to in English as 'spagothi'
:black101:
Food was unremarkable.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
A pro tier name for squid ink pasta!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I went to a KFC in Guangzhou and tried to order by pointing at things on the menu but they kept saying something to me and to each other (I speak no Chinese language) and then finally a guy in a suit brought me a dusty laminated English-language menu. Like... I still had no idea what a god drat "Zinger" was so I had to go by the pictures anyway.

I remember watching an American guy trying to order a chicken sandwich in a McDonald’s in China. He spoke a bit of Chinese and got extremely upset and started yelling when the staff explained that they didn’t serve sandwiches. If he wasn’t such an rear end in a top hat I would have explained to him that the rest of the world calls it a chicken burger.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know what that means, but it's one of those pieces of terminology that's so deeply ingrained that it just sounds so wrong to me. Like c'mon, a burger's something with ground meat, not a meat sandwich in general! Get it together, other parts of the world!
:arghfist::911::burger:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
authenticity is bound w nationalism. a nation is an imagined community, so like real communities you need to eat together - in the imagination. in america thats a burger (a McDonalds burger with Coca-Cola and fries, prolly) but in like, france its a baguette and coq a vin Done Properly

fried chicken sandwiches are too universally popular to be a target for nationalism. unless the south rises again and actually takes kentucky this time, i guess

bob dobbs is dead has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Dec 4, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Theophany posted:

Additional points if they have pictures of each menu item so sunburned tourists can point at a picture of a fried egg, like a trained monkey in a zoo rather than suffer the indignity of attempting to learn a single loving word of the country they have inflicted themselves upon.

This is true in a lot of places, but if you ever go to China picture menus are standard. Very helpful when you're new or trying to puzzle out what something is when the name doesn't tell you anything.

I have a suspicion this is the case because despite the government's insistence, China still has a lot of language variety.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Chicken burger" is like someone's parents never had The Talk with them as a kid about the counterintuitive fact that a "hamburger" is not made of ham and "burger" does not mean "on a bun"

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Just what if somewhere our there, in some distant galaxy, "burger" means "on a bun"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The Alchemist posted:

Just what if somewhere our there, in some distant galaxy, "burger" means "on a bun"

Some distant galaxy like "everywhere outside of North America"

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Data Graham posted:

"Chicken burger" is like someone's parents never had The Talk with them as a kid about the counterintuitive fact that a "hamburger" is not made of ham and "burger" does not mean "on a bun"

That battle was lost the moment the word "cheeseburger" crossed the lips of some marketing uberkind

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Data Graham posted:

Nah, a chicken sandwich is a common menu item of roast chicken in bread. That's a long way from a fried chicken sandwich as not only is it not fried chicken in a bun, it's usually not served hot.

Like context goes a long way, asking for a chicken sandwich in KFC it's pretty much understood what that means. But that isn't universal.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still bummed that the default hamburger in so many contexts in Japan is mostly pork. I tracked down a place said to have one of the best burgers in Kyoto, only to be faced with a very pale beige patty. Not what I was expecting/looking for, but it was still pretty decent.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Either way I would not relish getting drawn into an argument in a foreign country where they demand to know why it's called a hamburger if it's made of beef, and me having to explain the history of Hamburg steak, and in the end we're both mad and hungry

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Used to be a burger place here and one of their offers was a mixed chicken and beef patty that was deep fried and still referred to as a 'burger'.

Was delicious and slightly crispy though, I miss that place.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Tendales posted:

That battle was lost the moment the word "cheeseburger" crossed the lips of some marketing uberkind

Cheeseburg is a lost gem of a city with an amazing food culture; the quarterly bbq and chili cookoffs, the fondue sector, and oh my god the tapas bars. Oh, and if you haven’t toured the Hibachi Hectare, I don’t even want to know you. The Cheeseburger sandwich is the least interesting thing that’s come out of that place.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wait'll you taste the cuisine of Duckburg

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If Americans call chicken burgers chicken sandwiches what do they call chicken sandwiches

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Steve

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Butterfly Valley posted:

If Americans call chicken burgers chicken sandwiches what do they call chicken sandwiches

It's probably the same deal as "ham", where they call some kinds of bacon "ham" but still also call ham "ham".

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Butterfly Valley posted:

depends on the way the chicken is cooked

fried chicken sandwich (bun)
grilled chicken sandwich (bun)
"chicken sandwich" would probably need more clarification, but I'd base it off the source. a sub place or deli it'd be sliced chicken deli chicken on either sliced bread or a sub bun but anywhere else I'd assume fried

I think "burger" as a term defining a bun based sandwich over other kinds is fine though, the language just didn't work out that way in the US. definitely one of those language things I don't think matters at all in any way whichever way you use it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The one thing I would be in sync with everybody on is that there is literally no historically or etymologically consistent way to describe a burger. Every country's style is wrong in its own special way

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I would guess the differences arose when some fucker called the hamburger with cheese the "cheeseburger" and forever locked America out of the timeline where we use the term burger that way. but thats not based on any actual evidence

e:

Tendales posted:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

a McChicken

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know what that means, but it's one of those pieces of terminology that's so deeply ingrained that it just sounds so wrong to me. Like c'mon, a burger's something with ground meat, not a meat sandwich in general! Get it together, other parts of the world!
:arghfist::911::burger:

You've only ever eaten sparkling meat sandwiches.

e: Because the Finnish word for hamburger is literally the translation of Hamburger, i.e. hampurilainen, meaning someone or something from or pertaining to the town of Hampuri (Hamburg), you also get things like porilainen (from or pertaining to Pori), a thick slice of onion sausage between two pieces of toast, and the fondly-remembered munaturkulainen which is funny because muna means both "egg" and "penis" :newlol:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Dec 5, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I hope someone gets sent to jail for this.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Just eat a bialy instead, ffs

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

or just eat half a bagel

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Perfect for when I put half a brick of cream cheese on it….half kidding

I could fit a whole brick with that thing

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Like only what I like!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

I hope someone gets sent to jail for this.

https://twitter.com/ExileGrimm/status/1717896227872768509

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I hope the scooped trend starts hitting other foods. Gimme a scooped filet mignon.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I'm mad about potato skins

Just eat a whole potato direct from the dirt, idiot

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I guess if I worked in an LA bagel shop I'd become extremely fat from eating all the scooped out bagel remains.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

boiled bread *scoff*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

sleepy gary posted:

I guess if I worked in an LA bagel shop I'd become extremely fat from eating all the scooped out bagel remains.

Brawnfire posted:

Mix the crumbs with cream cheese and mold balls of it onto sticks. Coat in everything seasoning. Boom! Bagel cake pops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only acceptable scooping is if you're making bunny chow because that's like that for a reason.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it is acceptable if you offer the bagel scraps to your crow friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

The only acceptable scooping is if you're making bunny chow because that's like that for a reason.

Uhhh, Panera Bread, soupbreadbowl? Come on man!