Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Just wanted to share this tip for anyone who might also have a cat who enjoys playing rough on occasion. Sometimes I'll wrestle her with a stuffed animal but I think she dislikes wrestling bigger ones + smaller ones can result in collateral damage (my arm).

I have created the ultimate cat wrassler: back scratcher in a pantleg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
That is an excellent pair of photos

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

omg her FACE

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
lmao Ferdie loving hates my backscratcher too, as soon as it comes out (mostly used for retrieving springs from under the sofa) it's kill time

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
My cat has trained me to follow a nighttime routine where I sit on the kitchen floor and she alternates sitting and begging to be brushed with little excursions around the room to sniff/inspect things (complete with sprinting back over to complain if I interpret the break as a sign that she's done and try to put away the brush). The actual signal that she's done being brushed is when she goes to get a drink of water, at which point she'll swat the brush if it comes near her again. If I don't start the routine around the time that I usually go to sleep, she'll start trying to herd me into the kitchen with increasing intensity.

Cats are so weird, lmao, how on earth did this become her most prized routine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get sent to bed every night at 7:45 so a cat can properly arrange herself at the foot of the bed. She'll start bawling at me and won't stop until I get moving.

If I happen to want to stay up late and ignore her she'll eventually give up and go sulk in some other part of the house, won't see her until breakfast.

Cats gonna cat.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Tic herds me to the recliner throughout the day so he can nap on my lap and recharge. It's no coincidence that most of my pics of him are in this exact pose:

That's right now, I changed into these pants to finish painting a closet.

I was not permitted to do so.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

mine are in the habit of dancing on top of me after i go to bed which is fine because i usually have to pee before i actually have to settle down but it is really silly and very specifically timed. they'll be napping and wake up specifically for this event.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Goons, I need help.

My wife and I found a stray male orange cat mewing under a car a few days before Halloween. We took him in, cleaned him up, got him tested and examed and neutered, etc. The vet says he's at least a year old, maybe 18 months max. He's a really sweet little guy and we'd like to keep him, but intro-ing him to our other cats (female, 7 and 8, close friends) is going a lot slower than I'd like.

We did what I think we were supposed to, letting them play/sniff without seeing each other. Then we put up a temporary screen door so they could see each other and feed on each side. We've now gotten to the point where they can eat supervised in the same room but when the food is gone, there are problems.

Mostly the issue is that he's still very much a kitten and he wants to play with the other cats and they... do not want to play with him. So as soon as he's out of the room, he'll bee-line and try to chase or pounce them and they don't like it so they growl and hiss and get big, or sometimes go hide. And I feel like it undoes all the progress we've been making.

I don't need them to be friends, I just need to get to a point where I can leave all the doors open in my house all the time. Right now I need to leave either him or them in the back room. If he's in the back room overnight, then he will start mewling loud at 5 AM because he wants to explore.

How can I get him to chill and play with his many, many, other toys so I can let all the cats have freedom to move about the house?

EDIT: lol the adhesive is starting to come off the screen door this dam's gonna burst, please help

Vargo fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 24, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're tossing a toddler (though 18 months is kind of pushing it for kitten status) with no social skills into a room of adults. Hissing and growling is how cats establish boundaries.. I'm not saying ignore it, but in those meetings maybe allow a little bit of it so the kid can figure out its place in the world.

The fact that the adults are hiding isn't particularly great but disengagement is another way cats communicate boundaries.

Separating them longer is probably good but as long as no fights are breaking out I wouldn't stress out a bunch. Cats gotta figure out their hierarchy somehow.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, to be honest this sounds exactly how a cat introduction should go because it's rare for cats to simply form fur piles from the get. You have an existing clowder which has established a stable hierarchy or at least an understanding. You put in a new element and that's going to offbalance the social dynamics for a bit. So while things are being recalibrated things are gonna be unstable, that's how it is.

You'll have to tolerate some hissing and bopping, cats can't have a cup of coffee and talk out their differences. The absolutely best thing for new cat is to get bloodlessly pummeled when he tries something the older cats don't like. Sometimes you have to let them touch the hot stove, they literally won't learn otherwise.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

As someone who is currently fostering a still-a-kitten-but-now-cat-size cat who does this to my other cats, just let it happen. They'll figure each other out eventually, and as long as there is no actual fighting, it's fine.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It'll also happen differently per-cat for multi-cat homes. I've got a larger kitten who has finally started to figure out who he "can" pounce on after nine months. Some tails are off-limits.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
I kind of think junior cats in that 9-18 month range are the biggest pain in the rear end to introduce or socialize. They’re big enough to cause trouble and they’re still almost as energetic as kittens. At the rescue they’re the ones who escape the main room or stir poo poo up with the other cats by far the most often. I’d much rather work with younger kittens or adults over two years. All that to say that just because of the developmental stage it could take longer to integrate one than it might with cats of other ages.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Yeah hissing and growling is just cat talk. Until the claws come out and someone draws blood they're fine.

TheMopeSquad posted:

RE cats banging on the door. I had a similar issue and got one of those shocky mats and put it in front of the door that did the trick. Once they realized stepping on it was bad I didn't even have to turn it on anymore.

This was going to be my suggestion as well, seems ideal for keeping a cat from standing in front of a closed door. Don't let shock in the name scare you, they're very low power (or have various settings) so it's more of a Sudden Surprise Mat than something that actually hurts.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 25, 2023

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Thanks for the replies everyone, I've never had a male cat or one that came in at this age, the other two girls were both under 6 months. He was also only neutered two weeks ago and I read it can take 6-8 weeks for the testosterone to settle out and hime to calm down. Yesterday I unzipped the screen and let the three of them walk around semi-supervised and it went okay. The boy is learning that no means no, the claws didn't come out, and there wasn't any huge issues until he hit his really playful hours.

I'm still not sure theyt're ready to be integrated fully overnight while I sleep but this seems like a good first step. I guess my plan is just "let the boy grow older?"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The only way for cats to get comfortable with -- or at least, get over -- each other is time together to get familiar with each others boundaries. Some of that will involve aging out because older cats are mellower cats, but they're never going to acclimate to each other without simply spending time together. At this point I think it's going to be spending whole afternoons in the same room together and making sure they don't in fact kill each other but otherwise letting them work it out.

Sometimes too they never get too comfortable and you'll have to settle for a chilly detente.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Does anyone have a list or a link to a list of developmental milestones for kittens?
Like where they should be at different ages?

I've had cats all my life, but I usually adopt adult cats, so these are my first kittens in 40 years.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

Does anyone have a list or a link to a list of developmental milestones for kittens?
Like where they should be at different ages?

I've had cats all my life, but I usually adopt adult cats, so these are my first kittens in 40 years.

Kitten Lady's got you covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_w-vOR0TuE

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 27, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make sure you get registered for preschool asap, you really don't want your kitten to fall behind.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
Smh if your kitten isn't doing multi-variable calculus yet.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Boogalo posted:

I had similar issues a bit ago. Pinch sensor wasnt bad but the pinch sensor plus full sensor kit is about $30 and the circuits for the full sensor are much more well designed to resist corrosion. Its probably worth your time to not fuss with it and just grab that kit.

https://www.litter-robot.com/lr3-pinch-contact-dfi-kit.html

Follow up on this:
The DFI kit appears to have resolved my problems. No more rapidly flashing yellow light and the box is working. The updated DFI sensors are also sealed units now instead of bare PCBs so they should have a longer lifetime. The install was pretty easy, but I really hate dealing with a dirty/soiled litter box.

I had replacement seal strips so I figured I'd do that at the same time. Of course the darn things left a ton of residue behind and I couldn't get them off with rubbing alcohol or acetone. I did my best but I wasted a ton of time on that. I should've just let it be and stuck the new strips on top of it. It would not have mattered.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Any got experience/recommendation with automatic cat litter trays? One of my cats is a old fusspot and has taken to pissing outside of the box. Vet doesn't think it's health related (might be anxiety) but she has always been fussier than the others about the cleanliness of the the tray so we thought this might help.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I and everyone I know is happy with their litter robot.

They're expensive but think of it as spending about $100 a year to never have to scoop litter again. It is also still a mechanical device and will break or gently caress up sometimes but parts are cheap and disassembly easy. Get the wifi connected one so it'll tell you when its full, etc.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boogalo posted:

I and everyone I know is happy with their litter robot.

They're expensive but think of it as spending about $100 a year to never have to scoop litter again. It is also still a mechanical device and will break or gently caress up sometimes but parts are cheap and disassembly easy. Get the wifi connected one so it'll tell you when its full, etc.

Ours is in a bathroom we use regularly, so just looking for the flashing blue light is sufficient. No wifi needed if you check it regularly. Save your money.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Two of our cats use the litter robot fine but the tux won't use it. I had to get a flat open automatic box for her (Pet Zone Smart Scoop) as she used the one we had previously before it broke and we changed to the robot. Unfortunately they're out of stock everywhere so I have to break it down for cleaning about once a month to avoid this one breaking. We tried every option to get her to use the clean litter robot instead of a dirty regular box, and she just used the floor instead in protest. So might not be the best option if your cat(s) won't use an enclosed box.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Our tortie got annoyed with the litter robot for the brief period it was broken and took to pooping and even peeing on the floor, and now she's decided that's what she likes best despite having the litter robot and a backup litterbox literally within a foot of where she does it. I gave up trying to stop her and now I put down a washable puppy pad where she does it and just scoop the poop into the robot every morning and change the pad.

Better than her previous locations, which were on the bathroom and kitchen floor! (She still pees in the tub or on any rug we're dumb enough to put out.)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My cat has been a bit sneezy and maybe having some resistance with his breathing. Anything i can do at home to help with his respiratory stuff? he seems fine but I can hear his breath catching and stuff sometimes.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Does the litter robot work well with tofu or pine litter? I can't use clay as it triggers asthma attacks

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It just needs to be clumping litter iirc.

My elderly cat won't use the robot either because it hurts her to climb into or because she doesn't like enclosed boxes. But our younger one uses it which means scooping can be done less frequently and that alone is a great help.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Most things other than clay won't work because of the size of the particles, I checked when I was researching potentially getting one. Tofu unclumped bits are too big to sieve through for example.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
our bin ginger is a fancy lad and will only consistently use the tray if it’s scent release clumping. needs the scent of rose petals or fresh cotton to accompany his every piss. non-clumping just means he starts leaving surprise turds in exciting places.

figuring this out was a process of elimination (har har). final straw was the ‘cyclone of piss’ incident. he was in the bathroom guarding my partner, who was engaged in the v dangerous task of taking a dump. the cat tunnel was being quarantined in the tub due to a previous incident and was kinda sloped diagonally upwards. cat decides to leap into the tunnel and is positioned with his head at the foot of the slope and his rear end at the top. Perfect time to empty one’s bladder right? so as the piss flows downhill he realises there’s no exit plan and backflips out of the tunnel in a blaze of ammonia. pets enrich your life so much don’t they

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
My cats use the litter robot but also claw at the liner, and I can’t turn on automatic mode because they get upset by it

Still worth, and they send replacement liners for free

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man... our youngest cat Sage is obsessed with sitting beside the dishwasher watching the crack between the wall and the dishwasher itself, sticking his little nose in to smell it and that kinda thing.

We live pretty far away from major cities in a decently small village had for the first time ever found a mouse about a 2 months ago; and while we got it out, had an exterminator out and resealed all the gaps between the basement and the upstairs floor a couple days later there was a very, very lethargic one that was sitting in front of the dishwasher. Presumably because it couldn't get to food/water anymore since there's no way to get between the floors.

Both times the cats did find it, but the first time they just followed it around like.. sniffing it until we got something on top of it and took it out. Then the second time it was just sorta.. sitting there waiting to die and the cats ignored it entirely. They're apparently terrible hunters.

We haven't had a single issue since, nothing found in traps and no signs of rat droppings or anything so it appears we got the entrances sealed. But just in the past week Sage has taken up a vigil watching the spot the second mouse showed up. I've checked when he seems particularly interested and there's absolutely nothing there, haven't seen any other signs so I don't think there's a mouse. But he's like.. just gotten obsessed with it and I can't figure out if it's because he gets attention when he does it or something? Dunno if we have to just wait it out or if we should put something there to block his access so he can do something else for a bit.

Edit: maybe I'll just seal up the spot to be absolutely sure, and hopefully that'll make it less interesting to stare at

Probably the weirdest part about the whole situation is he basically only does it when my wife is around. Part of me is wondering if he's trying to be protective or something cause they definitely gave her a good scare

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 2, 2023

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

My cats stare at my dishwasher too, something they've picked up when they were kittens and occasionally do for an hour, holding a vigil for whatever purpose at this incredibly interesting section of the kitchen. The reason is something only known to God. So whatever they're doing, I'd chalk it up to cats being cats and not worry about it. If they find it amusing, then hey, whatever floats their cat boats.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's possible they heard a critter back there too. Cats can be insanely patient hunters.

One of ours spent two weeks camping the stove and eventually caught a mouse for it. It was an old house and we'd just moved in, took a few months to scare all the rodents off.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Both are definitely possible, but it's good to hear it's not just our silly orange boy. He's a little slow, but he's adorable. For example he loves sitting in laps, but he gets really confused at trying to figure out how to get in a lap, so it's a rare treat lol

Our house was built in 1885 originally, so I definitely know the old house feeling there. Fingers crossed we don't have any visitors

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this is my buddy peep:

when i moved in w my gf she'd told me there were lots of cats around who liked to use our garden to hang out in, and our covered porch to shelter. im on medical weed and i vape it outside bc i dont wanna stink up the house, so i'd be outside in the porch in the evening vaping before bed. One night i went out there to sit on my favourite garden chair and managed to mutually surprise a white cat who had been curled up on it when I came out. It was a rainy night and he was cold and shaking, and unlike the other cats, hadn't immediately run away.

I went inside and got him a can of tuna (we don't have any pets) and a towel and some tissues to dry him off. I was surprised by how unafraid he was, like he didn't even get mad when I moved the can of tuna while he was eating it even though he was clearly very hungry. He wouldn't meow at all, just do quiet little squeaks (which is how he ended up called Peep down the line) but purred really loudly like a two-stroke engine. After I got him dried off I petted him a fair amount and put a blanket out on the chair for him.

he visibly had a few cuts on him and lots of scabs on his ears (extra visible bc hes white) and had at least one broken fang, and was covered in fleas. but he's the most loving little guy I've ever met, he'd rest the entire weight of his head in your hand and just purr like crazy.

deep fried bc it was taken from indoors on a bad phone

unfortunately i am badly allergic to cats so couldnt just take him in, so me and my gf set about finding if he was a lost cat and if we could get him any medical treatment. anyway long story short there was no room in any shelters, he wasn't a lost cat (no chip and unneutered) even though we had a lot of people over to look at him to see if he was their lost white cat.

this is sad early days peep:
#

we got him a flea and worm treatment and some vaccines (so we could get him neutered and people would be more likely to take him) and after that he started looking a lot better, as well as getting a couple of good meals a day at our house. The vet loved him and warned us to be careful about who we might give him to, because people might want him for his blue eyes and white fur. She also had to run the tap to get him to stop purring long enough to listen to his heartbeat. he had (and has) a weird habit of eating exactly half of his food, like a perfect semicircle of food with a clean straight line between the two halves.

we also built him a little peep house due to the cold, out of the cat carrier we borrowed to get him to the vet, and some wool insulation from grocery deliveries:

it should be noted this is in a covered porch so wouldnt get wet

fortunately though after it started to get REALLY cold here, my sister and her wife decided to adopt peep themselves (they met him at our house a few times and loved him immediately). now he is a sassy boy who meows all day and lies on a chair / his moon tower

he finally got neutered today, and some broken teeth removed, so he is probably high as poo poo as I type this. I love the little man and I am so happy he is not out in the cold any more. even if he is now missing his sassy balls:

I feel a bit selfish missing him as much as I do, because he is definitely better off indoors than in our lovely porch, but seeing his friendly little face when I went out to vape was a real highlight, and playing with him was great even though i had to shower afterwards and take antihistamines. I get photos and I have visited him a lot but you know how it is.

I learned a lot about cats through all this, like i had no idea how much of a difference having fleas vs not having fleas makes. we thought he was deaf at first bc of his colouration and insensitivity to sound, but his hearing got a load better after the flea treatment, he got a lot more energy and seemed much happier.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

an iksar marauder posted:

My cats use the litter robot but also claw at the liner, and I can’t turn on automatic mode because they get upset by it

Still worth, and they send replacement liners for free

I did not know this, thank you!

One of my new kittens likes to claw at the liner, but not too badly. Good to know it's replaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Squashy Nipples posted:

I did not know this, thank you!

One of my new kittens likes to claw at the liner, but not too badly. Good to know it's replaceable.

Yeah just ask them. If you're under warranty they'll send you one. I did this recently for my LR4, and they also sent me the taller fence for free because it didn't actually exist yet when I bought my LR4.

I've had very good interactions with them both online and in person (I spoke with several employees at CES last year and they answered all my questions).