Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

The Rabbi T. White posted:

If you’re playing Cape Kidnappers twice, you’re obviously not hurting for money, so I’d suggest booking accommodation at Craggy Range which is like 5 kms down the road and my favourite vineyard in the whole country.

Fortunately, my wife and I don’t drink. All the better to be a golf degenerate.

Jovial Cow posted:

Nice, you'll have a blast. The only downside I can think of is depending on if you're doing 18 a day vs 36, they only really have one restaurant at Te Arai. Its quite good, but if you're stringing that out over 4 days it could get old. I'm VERY jealous you are doing Cape Kidnappers, I was trying so hard to get my group to make it down towards Napier so I could sneak it in, but we only got as far south a Rotorua on the north island. Please post once you've done the trip so I can live vicariously through you. I have to make it back down to NZ at some point. Gorgeous country.

I definitely will! Really appreciate all the info. I didn’t see Bandon on your list! You def need to get out there.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Came in the mail today. Tee time 1000 tomorrow. Range is mats only, I'm tempted to just say gently caress it and play them with no range time just to avoid that green mat stain and the different feel the mats give.

PXL_20231204_234247298 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 5, 2023

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Trip update after my lesson.

Started working on trying to compress my irons to get better distance, and it started to get much better. My 7 went from 130 to about 150, still not amazing. But I was really happy.

Then we worked on my driver for a bit, and I forgot all the good stuff I learned on my irons.

So all in all, I’m a dumbass and should have just focussed on my irons.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

torgeaux posted:

Came in the mail today. Tee time 1000 tomorrow. Range is mats only, I'm tempted to just say gently caress it and play them with no range time just to avoid that green mat stain and the different feel the mats give.

PXL_20231204_234247298 by B. B., on Flickr

I bought what I assume your 5 wood is(?) last year during black Friday. Holy moley I was piping that thing as far as my driver in Arizona last week. Drove a 254 yard par 4 with it and my group was going nuts. Dont worry, I proceeded to 3 put for a par.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Oodles posted:

Trip update after my lesson.

Started working on trying to compress my irons to get better distance, and it started to get much better. My 7 went from 130 to about 150, still not amazing. But I was really happy.

Then we worked on my driver for a bit, and I forgot all the good stuff I learned on my irons.

So all in all, I’m a dumbass and should have just focussed on my irons.

[X] is golf. It never changes. I'm closing in on single digit handicap, but there's a post upthread from this summer where I went days without being able to hit any part of the club except the hosel, even on driver.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

xsf421 posted:

[X] is golf. It never changes. I'm closing in on single digit handicap, but there's a post upthread from this summer where I went days without being able to hit any part of the club except the hosel, even on driver.

Yeah, I was down to a 2.3 handicap this summer and suddenly started thinning/shanking my irons for no discernible reason. Now I’m hitting it great again. Golf!

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

My coach also made me switch to interlocked grip.

I got given a couple of drills to try and force the ball to fly left and another one to try and keep the ball as low as possible.

I’ve got a box of foam balls, which I spent all day today while on teams calls practicing chipping with my new grip.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Rahm headed to LIV apparently

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It really sucks. Like I get someone wanting to take a bag that's reportedly like $600m - especially if he might just "come back" if this merger goes through - but for someone who had some pretty high minded comments and generally seems pretty thoughtful it just blows. I'd like to hear his comments on this because I have to imagine the events in June really changed his thinking on this or something (or he's a really good liar).

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Anno posted:

It really sucks. Like I get someone wanting to take a bag that's reportedly like $600m - especially if he might just "come back" if this merger goes through - but for someone who had some pretty high minded comments and generally seems pretty thoughtful it just blows. I'd like to hear his comments on this because I have to imagine the events in June really changed his thinking on this or something (or he's a really good liar).

I can guess. "I stayed to stand up for the PGA until they caved and took the money for themselves so I'm not going to leave half a billion on the table"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

I can guess. "I stayed to stand up for the PGA until they caved and took the money for themselves so I'm not going to leave half a billion on the table"

:hmmyes:

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Anno posted:

Everyone has a price

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

daslog posted:

I'd completely understand that. I kinda just wish he'd say it, though.

Either way JFC pro golf is such a disaster. I kind of hate that I love it enough to keep chugging through all this.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I think I get the power move by LIV, force the PGA to the table by throwing several billion at a collection of washed and a few excellent golfers but I do not understand them walking the agreement back and continuing to poach. They could barely land a TV deal, they are laughed at by most fans. What’s the end game? Does the investment fund think people care about uncompetitive team golf? They had the win, why gently caress with the cheese after you buy the nachos?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Liv wants to take over the PGA tour, they don't want a stake in it. They flipped Jay - because he's a piece of poo poo - knowing it would make the move to liv purely a financial move for golfers instead of a moral/ethical stance

The endgame is the PGA tour is rebranded LIV America and is under new management.

Hovland, Xander and old mate that won the us open whose name escapes me will be next to go IMO

The question is; Rory???

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Anno posted:

I'd completely understand that. I kinda just wish he'd say it, though.

Either way JFC pro golf is such a disaster. I kind of hate that I love it enough to keep chugging through all this.

Pro Athletes know that it rarely pays off to tell the media the blatant truth. This is as close as you are going to get.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

abigserve posted:

The question is; Rory???

Not to overstate his importance but given his statements I'd imagine him going to LIV would be the straw that broke the PGA's back. He seems to be more concerned with his legacy than anything else these days.

The real answer is to just watch the LPGA as its more relevant to amateur golfers anyhow.

Speaking of which, who else will be watching the Grant Thornton Invitational this weekend? This is the most psyched I've been about watching a golf tournament this year.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 8, 2023

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Hell yeah my two fav teams are crushing it. Wild that they haven't done a combo event like this since the 90's.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Solo golf again. 34 degrees when I teed off, empty tee sheet but for me. No real wind, but it's very played two rounds with my new irons and have no idea on their distances. One day with 30+ mph winds, one day near freezing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I had one of those rounds today where everything was working right. Striping the ball driving, irons were doing what I wanted them too and probably one of the best putting days I've had. I changed my grip up 2 rounds ago and it's made an immediate difference

Just pulled my drive on 18 and still had a change at a par but just missed the putt.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

I had one of those rounds today where everything was working right. Striping the ball driving, irons were doing what I wanted them too and probably one of the best putting days I've had. I changed my grip up 2 rounds ago and it's made an immediate difference

Just pulled my drive on 18 and still had a change at a par but just missed the putt.

Nice. Correcting a problem on the grip, or just trying a better one?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So if anyone’s curious / interested I did a big migration from the Arccos setup over to a Garmin setup (Approach S62, CT10s) and had a lot more success using that over Arccos paired to a Pixel Watch. I don’t like the S62 as a watch as much, but I’ll happily daily drive if it means I don’t have to babysit Arccos every round and pay them a yearly membership).

That S70 though…man, anyone here have one of those? The screen on it looks really slick.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Nice. Correcting a problem on the grip, or just trying a better one?

Correcting a problem on the grip. I had a tendency to push or pull putts more often than not so changing up my grip style seems to have made my stroke most consistent and less pushy/pully lol

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Question for you all:

What app (if any exists) would you recommend as a phone based option to assess my swing? Basically I want to record myself on my phone, and have the club speed and trajectory captured. If it can also estimate ball range after a hit that would be cool too.

What do you guys use?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

Question for you all:

What app (if any exists) would you recommend as a phone based option to assess my swing? Basically I want to record myself on my phone, and have the club speed and trajectory captured. If it can also estimate ball range after a hit that would be cool too.

What do you guys use?

Modern phone cameras can't take video fast enough to come up with reliable club/ball speeds. What you're talking about is a personal launch monitor and they generally start at $200 for a PRGR.

I have a Garmin R10 which works pretty well considering the size and price. I've compared it with top tracer on the range and generally it estimates distance very well, and slightly underestimates curve/spin-axis.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Launch monitor. That might be the terminology I was missing.

I asked about phone apps because this app at least suggests it can do something similar?

https://www.shottracerapp.com/android

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Shottracer doesn't give you any real info, it just draws a line on what it thinks your ball path is. I think it can try to estimate distance, but i found it to be very inaccurate.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ah yeah it does seem to be a bit feature light.

There does seem to be one that's android compatible called GolfTrak which appears to have an android version now. I read about it here:

https://golfstead.com/best-golf-launch-monitor-apps

edit:

ahh turns out its not available on android yet. :smith:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

On the plus side;

Back to my par 3 course after work for 9 holes. First time I landed on the green on the first shot. First par hole (but was robbed of first birdie) and managed a second par later in the round. PB'd at 40.

Then went to the driving range after and ripped a bunch of really good shots in a row. Not a bad day considering I had to talk myself into going in the first place. :unsmith:

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
I’ve got a bit of a unique opportunity. My work provides me points for different achievements, and I’ve been accumulating these for the last 11 years. The awards program just updated with golf town gift cards (Canada), so I basically can go there and get anything I want. So I’m looking at a full upgrade.

Any recommendations for a 10-15 handicapper? New clubs will make be better, right??

I’m tall-ish, so I’m looking to get them sized for me, will be nice not to be crouching over so far with the higher irons.

I’m eying up some new T200’s from Titleist, and maybe the new ping G430 for a driver.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Floofy posted:

I’ve got a bit of a unique opportunity. My work provides me points for different achievements, and I’ve been accumulating these for the last 11 years. The awards program just updated with golf town gift cards (Canada), so I basically can go there and get anything I want. So I’m looking at a full upgrade.

Any recommendations for a 10-15 handicapper? New clubs will make be better, right??

I’m tall-ish, so I’m looking to get them sized for me, will be nice not to be crouching over so far with the higher irons.

I’m eying up some new T200’s from Titleist, and maybe the new ping G430 for a driver.

Go to a fitter that can recommend you a brand and model. If you go in it with a model picked, you might miss out on clubs that are better for you.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

Go to a fitter that can recommend you a brand and model. If you go in it with a model picked, you might miss out on clubs that are better for you.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

ElGroucho posted:

Yeah if we are in "money is mostly no object" land then this is the answer. I wish fitting was entirely separate from club making and selling, but unless golftown has proper non-salesy fitters I'd go find an independent fitter or maybe a golftec and be upfront about your desire to get your proper numbers and then order from a place you've already got a bunch of credit at.

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
Just got home from my fitting and ended up getting the G425 woods, and after hitting 4 different brands of irons at various lengths, the best for me turned out to be the new paradigms with a half inch extension.

Rounding out the set, got Cleveland 52 and 56 wedges, and an odyssey putter, can’t remember which one exactly off the top of my head. Also got the Ping chipr because I had some money left over.

Very happy with the experience and looking forward to the season next year.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

A solid weekend of golf. 18 holes on Saturday and 9 Sunday plus 100 balls down the range. Quite a lot of exercise by my extremely lazy standards. I haven't done this much consistent exercise in years and I'm pleased to see some excess flab disappearing.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Floofy posted:

Rounding out the set, got Cleveland 52 and 56 wedges

CBX or RTX?

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004

GEMorris posted:

CBX or RTX?

CBX full faces. Are those alright? Just a recommendation of the guy I was working with. I did the old ‘what do you like?’ When I didn’t know much about wedges.

I know i did not want to spend 300 a piece on the vokey’s, and with my friends staff discount, the Cleveland’s were 99 each

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I love my CBXs, once I got over the club head weight they felt so natural to swing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I think Langer may be winning in his 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There are some interesting rumors circulating that Nike may be getting itself out of golf, and thus Tiger Woods, entirely.

I'll admit, it would be odd to see some of these guys, especially Tiger, on the course without being festooned in the Swoosh.