Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I would be utterly shocked if maximum speed were the major issue and not speed differential. A car doing 70 and weaving through traffic doing 45 is just as likely to cause a horrific crash as a a car doing 120, and I'd speculate that it's far more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

120 is probably a good starting speed for a regulation like this, it's hard for anyone to argue with it. Once it is in place then you can talk about decreasing, but getting something in the books to start with is important. Immediately going to something like 75 or 85 would realistically be a non-starter.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Limit vehicle speed based on a maximum energy cap. It will make a lot of people really mad :v:

Included in that group would be people who want to transition off gas. EV's weigh about 25-30% more and hybrids around 20% more then the equivalent gas car.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Limit cars to the top speed that passenger trains can go through the same area

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even though cars have gotten safer

Your article really highlights the problem with this thinking and how the data says that in reality the exact opposite is true - cars are doing better on safety metrics while also being more dangerous than ever.

Stuff that makes vehicles more dangerous like

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My vote is increased vehicle mass and decreased visibility.
don't show up in safety metrics.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the speed governor should not let cars exceed the speed limit, its just that simple

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1732108511880806719

You did it coach. You, uh, what was the point of this exercise exactly

E: everyone but 4-star generals, of which there appear to be 10

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 5, 2023

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
People are just going to make their cars track legal and not worry about it. This is as dumb as calling the maximum reading on the spedometer in the 80s. Those governors are dangerous, sometimes you need to accelerate

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kalli posted:

Included in that group would be people who want to transition off gas. EV's weigh about 25-30% more and hybrids around 20% more then the equivalent gas car.

If that results in them being more dangerous on the road at a given speed, then that's fine, imo. What's the actual problem?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kalli posted:

They'll just have to drive a bit slower :shrug: will help with safety and energy consumption related emissions too
it's not a serious proposal and never gonna happen

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GlyphGryph posted:

Your article really highlights the problem with this thinking and how the data says that in reality the exact opposite is true - cars are doing better on safety metrics while also being more dangerous than ever.

Stuff that makes vehicles more dangerous like

don't show up in safety metrics.

Increased vehicle weight is counted when measuring things like this. You are correct that pedestrian visibility is not, though. They are only factoring in safety for the driver.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

They are only factoring in safety for the driver.

This was the thrust of my actual criticism, yes. If you make every vehicle "safer" by maximizing driver safety by increasing danger to everyone else on the road, cars have not necessarily actually gotten safer - they might have gotten significantly more dangerous overall.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

People are just going to make their cars track legal and not worry about it. This is as dumb as calling the maximum reading on the spedometer in the 80s. Those governors are dangerous, sometimes you need to accelerate

If you're in a situation where you need to go over 90 mph for safety reasons, just get Q to disable the speed limiter for you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another poll, another complete disconnect on personal and national finances

This one is ONLY voters aged 18-29 and you can see the overwhelming inconsistency.

Sadly, even the youth seem to be infested with the "Republican = good at economy" meme

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 5, 2023

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Lots and lots of people smoking weed and driving. I ride a motorcycle to work and I smell 2 or 3 cars each day.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We recently traveled to Hawaii and rented a small SUV to carry my family around. We ended up with a raised Chevy Tahoe beast. I had the kids stand in front of this thing, and I couldn't see any of them. My husband's head was visible, but this thing was already huge and then raised even more. I asked a dude in the rental garage if this was normal and he laughed that I would get used to it. It didn't even have a step up into the drivers seat or a handle to grab, it was an adventure just climbing in and out of the thing. I kept it because I knew we would be doing a little off-roading to beaches and stuff, but I was so scared to hit anything whenever we were in the city.

I was so glad to be rid of it, and grateful for my tiny little Honda Odyssey when we returned home. How people drive around in those tanks for suburban errands, I have no idea. Now, when I see those things racing around the city and weaving in and out of traffic, it scares the hell out of me even more than it did before. I won't even let my kids walk to/from school, knowing people are driving these SUVs and trucks like racecars and wouldn't even see my kids in front of them if they were looking for them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm going to put my money on the shift to taller and larger vehicles with enormous human sized blind spots in the front so bad that they install cameras.

There needs to be some law regarding the minimum angle and distance you can see the ground in front of the vehicle.

I definitely think this is a huge part of it. Every car seems to be friggin massive now and in addition to the visibility issues, there's also an increase in the likelihood that pedestrians struck by cars will die from it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is going to be a huge self-own by the GOP. It’s going to just make people feel bad for Biden at worst.

I dunno.

The Wall Street Journal has an article debunking the whole thing as being money from China, but there are some pretty damning details and pictures.

Hunter Biden had terrible credit and Joe gave him $4,000 and co-signed on an ugly truck that cost $67,000.

You're getting ripped off if you pay $67k for a new pickup in 2018. The Toyota Tundra is basically the same thing and only costs $42k.

Taking a $4,000 bribe from China would have made more financial sense. He gets no sympathy from me.

https://twitter.com/AnnieLinskey/status/1731880555556339905

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lol

There are very few things Americans will understand more than giving a dead beat son auto loan down payment cash and co-signing a loan for their over priced truck.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What options did he get on the truck

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

You’re wrong but okay, be angry. Accidents slightly dip when limits are raised to 85th percentile. Enforcement can be more fair when the limits are more fair.

https://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html

Most speeding is a product of road design anyway. Especially in downtown urban areas, they can do a huge amount of things to force people to slow down. Posting a speed limit is a minor component. Were social creatures after all

Speeding is 1/3 of causes.

Urban highways with 55 mph speed limits when the roads are designed for 85 are indeed a problem. The fuckers actually driving 65 are a hazard to everyone else.

But yeah, cars going from a 75% share to a 25% share of new vehicles over the last 20 years is the problem, regardless of whatever of the dozen terrible attributes you want to pin it

https://www.epa.gov/automotive-trends/highlights-automotive-trends-report

I'll read the link you posted later as it's not formatting well on my phone, however I'm not talking about limited access fast roads, even those located near cities. I'm talking about surface streets where cars interact with other road users. In a later post I agree with you about limited access roads with high design speeds having unrealistically low limits being a real safety concern. But in core downtown surface roads, a combination of good road design, low limits, and actual enforcement all have to be in play at once to create safe conditions.

On board with the reduction in popularity of standard cars being a huge component of the problem.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It looks like it was a Ford Raptor and he didn't even get that many options. They are "off-road" trucks with special suspensions and towing capacity that are much more expensive than a regular F-150. The base model retails for about $85k right now, but can get up to $120k. A normal F-150 is about $30k cheaper.

They are also ridiculously popular among upper-middle class people who will never in a million years use it for towing at max capacity or off-road work (including Hunter Biden) because they work in HR at an insurance office in Dallas.

Even more damning and shameful for Biden to help him buy one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hog cooler vent

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Gerund posted:

It may help to recall the protests against police brutality in 2020; traffic enforcement trended to zero, so people who depended on cops to mediate their behavior no longer had that guardrail.

I think it's more an issue of police shortages in general than them neglecting one specific task. You've got the same trend you see across many jobs with lots of olds retiring and not as many young people coming in, but even more drastic because extra olds are leaving as they've realized they can't terrorize minorities with 100% impunity anymore and fewer young people wanting to join a tainted institution. Designated speed-trappers would seem like the first jobs to be cut in a department that is particularly short on bodies.

Mind you, this should not be interpreted in any way that I believe the solution to reckless driving is "more cops." Starting with vehicle size and finding a way to regulate phone usage while driving are significantly better starting points, although I'm not sure where you begin with either in modern America.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Urban highways with 55 mph speed limits when the roads are designed for 85 are indeed a problem. The fuckers actually driving 65 are a hazard to everyone else.

https://www.epa.gov/automotive-trends/highlights-automotive-trends-report

No, it's just that people don't actually know how to drive. People going the speed limit in the left lane, just hanging out. So loads of traffic need to pass on the right. People don't actually know that if you drive slower, you should be on the right, regardless of the lanes, regardless of the type of road. You drive in the right lane, and you pass, and then get back over.

Just bring on the automated cars, and mandate it by 2035, and force all other cars off the road. gently caress em.

VorpalBunny posted:

We recently traveled to Hawaii and rented a small SUV to carry my family around. We ended up with a raised Chevy Tahoe beast. I had the kids stand in front of this thing, and I couldn't see any of them. My husband's head was visible, but this thing was already huge and then raised even more. I asked a dude in the rental garage if this was normal and he laughed that I would get used to it. It didn't even have a step up into the drivers seat or a handle to grab, it was an adventure just climbing in and out of the thing. I kept it because I knew we would be doing a little off-roading to beaches and stuff, but I was so scared to hit anything whenever we were in the city.

I was so glad to be rid of it, and grateful for my tiny little Honda Odyssey when we returned home. How people drive around in those tanks for suburban errands, I have no idea. Now, when I see those things racing around the city and weaving in and out of traffic, it scares the hell out of me even more than it did before. I won't even let my kids walk to/from school, knowing people are driving these SUVs and trucks like racecars and wouldn't even see my kids in front of them if they were looking for them.

I just started driving my girlfriends Atlas, by far the biggest vehicle I've ever driven, and it's wild how different it is compared to a car. There's vehicles much bigger than that too. When that F250 has their driver looking at their phone and slam's into the back of you during traffic at 60mph, I can see why fatalities are up.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 5, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It was apparently a 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor, which starts at $53k base and a limited edition probably getting up close to that $67k number.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zotix posted:

No, it's just that people don't actually know how to drive. People going the speed limit in the left lane, just hanging out. So loads of traffic need to pass on the right. People don't actually know that if you drive slower, you should be on the right, regardless of the lanes, regardless of the type of road. You drive in the right lane, and you pass, and then get back over.

Just bring on the automated cars, and mandate it by 2035, and force all other cars off the road. gently caress em.

You know let's say the speed limit is 60, if you were going 20% over at 72 you'd save maybe what 4-5 minutes off your average drive. If going around a person going the speed limit is so dangerous why do it to save a tiny amount of time? How many minutes is a human life worth.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bar ran dun is right, helping your stupid son buy a ford raptor is extremely relatable

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

lobster shirt posted:

bar ran dun is right, helping your stupid son buy a ford raptor is extremely relatable

Biden approval rating among first-year army privates soars to 118%.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I think one thing that would really help is to add "safety for pedestrians struck by the vehicle" to the safety ratings / crash tests. IIUC Europe already does this, and it's a huge part of why their cars are so much smaller than ours. Also, we should close the loophole that allows SUVs to avoid a bunch of regulations by pretending to be trucks.

I mean, really, we need to be doing everything we can to move people away from cars and onto walking / bikes / buses / streetcars / trains, but maybe we can start by making cars less deadly for the people outside of them.

Also, every time you hear someone suggest automated cars as a solution, say "yeah! And let's make them bigger so they can carry more people" / "we can give them dedicated lanes so they can go faster" / "they should go along popular routes frequently and just pick up waiting people" / "we can have them draw power from the street itself!", and then just let them know they've reinvented streetcars.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Two years later, Biden sold the car back to the dealership at a loss because Hunter couldn't make the payments anymore and it was in bad condition with "considerable mileage and cosmetic damage."

Hunter Biden really is like every stereotype of your lovely burnout 25-year old son put into a single person, except he was a 48-year old father of four.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Panera's "charged" lemonade has killed a second person. A supermarket worker with intellectual disabilities drank "three" (unclear from reporting what size, or what dose he was getting) and dropped dead of a heart attack after. If these were three larges and they're still in the original formulation, the man consumed about 1200 milligrams of caffeine. From three drinks at a lemonade fountain. Which may not have even been labeled as caffeinated.

edit: previous post on the drink and the first death here

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 5, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

According to this story the man was part of Paneras "Unlimited Sip Club" and frequented Panera after work. Crazy that they distribute such a concentrated amount of caffeine with an unlimited subscription and with deceptive marketing on the amount of caffeine in their drinks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/charged-lemonade-at-panera-bread-being-blamed-for-second-death-family-files-lawsuit/ar-AA1l34uM

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
so now it's a scandal that they paid too much? biden abused his position to raise the price of the vehicle! how dare he??

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Discendo Vox posted:

Panera's "charged" lemonade has killed a second person. A supermarket worker with intellectual disabilities drank "three" (unclear from reporting what size, or what dose he was getting) and dropped dead of a heart attack after. If these were three larges and they're still in the original formulation, the man consumed about 1200 milligrams of caffeine. From three drinks at a lemonade fountain. Which may not have even been labeled as caffeinated.

edit: previous post on the drink and the first death here

That's still way way below the LD50 of caffeine. Possible he had some cardiac condition, e.g. one of the cardiac abnormalities that are comorbid with certain types of congenital intellectual disabilities. Or the amount he drank is not accurately reported.

Not to excuse the company's negligence, just noting it's way way less than you would expect to be fatal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

InsertPotPun posted:

so now it's a scandal that they paid too much? biden abused his position to raise the price of the vehicle! how dare he??

It's not the price of the car.

Hunter Biden paid back the $4,000 he was loaned for the down payment. The House Oversight Committee subpoenaed their bank records and claimed that the $4,000 from Hunter Biden to Joe Biden was part of China funneling money to Joe Biden through Hunter Biden because he paid it back at the same time his company got paid by the mayor of Beijing.

They either didn't know or lied about where the $4,000 coming to Biden came from and claimed it was profit from China instead of Hunter paying him back for a loan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why don't they take the death lemonade off the menu?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Why don't they take the death lemonade off the menu?

They have. They have at some locations, but they required all their franchises to put up more clear labelling at all stores. The original signs said it was equivalent to their coffee, but it was about twice as much.

The deaths were in October, but they are just now getting sued by the family.

gurragadon posted:

I don't think they have taken them off the menu. There still listed under beverages on the Panera site.

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/menu/categories/beverages.html?irgwc=1&im_rewards=1

Yeah, saw that and was correcting myself that it wasn't pulled from everywhere. Just some places decided to voluntarily take it off menu.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 5, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

^^^ Got you. I missed the first death when that story came out before so wasn't completely up on it.

They have.

The deaths were in October, but they are just now getting sued by the family.

I don't think they have taken them off the menu. There still listed under beverages on the Panera site.

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/menu/categories/beverages.html?irgwc=1&im_rewards=1

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Biden approval rating among first-year army privates soars to 118%.

Don’t they all take out a 20 year car note for the chevys and mustangs across the street from the base?