Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

I know this is a joke but yeah, it's one of my real pet hates as a YouTube watcher. I hate it when somebody says something like "Oh, some OTHER PEOPLE have said this" or "This came up on ANOTHER YouTube channel". Usually said other person is someone with a smaller audience. It's not necessarily plagiarism, but it's really lovely practice that's indicative of not seeing YouTube as anything but a competition. Say who the bloody channel is. Like, thinking that if you actually say that there's some other channel on YouTube then everybody's going to stop watching you and go watch them instead?...it's poo poo, and usually indicates other poo poo behaviours.

Heck, I remember back in the day people really got upset other people reviewed something somebody on Channel Awesome already did. There can be only ONE review of Little Giants ever, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

Clearly that means his next video will be a subversion of these “calling out other YouTubers” videos and will be in praise of the car-focused channel Donut. I can already see it now, a comparatively-brisk 3 hour video titled “Donut is Genius, and Here’s Why”

I mean, who else could dyno a horse?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

KingKalamari posted:

I'm going to push back on this attitude because this type of passive consumption I'd argue is not only a fault on the part of the consuming public that contributes to the degradation of content quality on the internet as a whole, but is also not really an excuse for defaulting to low effort bulk content.

There is a massive wealth of actual, quality content on YouTube right now that takes only a modicum of extra effort to discover. If you need stuff to play in the background while you do housework, it's only a small bit of extra effort to make a video playlist of actually worthwhile videos beforehand, I do it all the time! The fact that the platform outright encourages users to not curating the content they consume themselves and instead default to the whims of the algorithm to spoon-feed them an endless stream of content without regard to its quality is one of the major contributing factors to the kipplization of internet content as a whole and needs to be pushed back against.

Oh I don’t think it’s good or healthy.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Has the co-writer said anything?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

notaspy posted:

Has the co-writer said anything?

He said he cannot have plagiarized anything because he doesn't read or watch other Youtubers, and just comes up with his own observations.

"I'm too incurious to be a plagiarist."

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Andrew Verse posted:

He said he cannot have plagiarized anything because he doesn't read or watch other Youtubers, and just comes up with his own observations.

"I'm too incurious to be a plagiarist."

That doesn't mean that he was unaware of the plagiarism going on

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I like the theory Hbomberguy raises that the cowriter was hired as a contingency plan if he got called out for plagiarism again. That would also make the cowriter the biggest rube ever but that's not impossible.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I did actually listen to a lot of the Illum. video essays and even as just a passive listener if you were to pick out like 3 at random and listen to them you’d definitely do double takes of either “that’s not what that means” or “that doesn’t make sense” throughout them.

Edit: Also here is something good that actually came to me on the music front; this guy does very specific deep dives into events in Oasis history. Please don’t reveal to me he’s awful or anything because they’re fascinating. Here’s one on the relationship of Oasis and Nowaysis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWS1LvtVRjI

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 5, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

mycot posted:

I like the theory Hbomberguy raises that the cowriter was hired as a contingency plan if he got called out for plagiarism again. That would also make the cowriter the biggest rube ever but that's not impossible.

The clips he played of James talking about the cowriter certainly made him sound like a decoy. All the "it is unacceptable for anyone to call him a plagarist'is a really weird thing to say unless you're trying to set yourself up as a rube that had no idea how much stuff was stolen.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I love that this channel consists of two writers: one who steals everything and one who just loving makes everything up

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Scorched Spitz posted:

I mean, who else could dyno a horse?

Torque Test Channel could dyno a horse.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Another writer, potentially seeking legal action

https://twitter.com/JoelleMonique/status/1731515946286620733?s=20

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

It would own pretty hard if Hbomberguy's video where he bemoans the lack of recent example of successful recent plagiarism lawsuit actually leads to one. Unlikely I realize but that would just be too poetic for words.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
They could probably hit his channel with a DMCA copyright strike, like the Internet Historian video got hit by one. If he gets three of those at once his channel is gone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Q7-xu4hvA

George remembered his youtube password.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

Edit: Also here is something good that actually came to me on the music front; this guy does very specific deep dives into events in Oasis history. Please don’t reveal to me he’s awful or anything because they’re fascinating. Here’s one on the relationship of Oasis and Nowaysis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWS1LvtVRjI

Paying that much attention to the Gallagher brothers is something awful in and of itself.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I've never seen any of MegaLag's videos before but this one certainly piqued my interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppobi8VhWwo

Colorblind glasses are a big ol' scam, which seemed obvious, but not something I'd ever looked into.

Also, the Logan Paul video is the funniest and worst acting ever.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sardonik posted:

It would own pretty hard if Hbomberguy's video where he bemoans the lack of recent example of successful recent plagiarism lawsuit actually leads to one. Unlikely I realize but that would just be too poetic for words.

I think one potentially salient difference here is that in the past, plagiarism suits were usually a lone creator vs. a major studio backed by an army of lawyers. YouTube assholes like Somerton don't have the same resources, and may actually be vulnerable to legal actions brought against them.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
My favorite Gallagher Bros story is when The Ego Has Landed from Robbie Williams promotion was going on on MTV (Millenium as a US single timeframe) MTV did an interview with Robbie. He asked if he was going to be subtitled like another English interview he saw and the interviewer said nah we just had to do that for the Gallaghers cause no one could understand them.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Sardonik posted:

Could you even do something like a class action against an individual? Or like, against his LLC, since I think a lot of youtubers register themselves as small businesses

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Happy Landfill posted:

Could you even do something like a class action against an individual? Or like, against his LLC, since I think a lot of youtubers register themselves as small businesses

We know he incorporated Telos at the very least.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Colorblind glasses are a big ol' scam, which seemed obvious, but not something I'd ever looked into.

Well that's a bummer

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So I’m sure that a bunch of it is because we’re just seeing it pointed out, and not as a blip in a sea of Too Much Content that he made stole, but I’m kind of surprised that he didn’t get previously called out for his extremely blatant Gay Nazi obsession. Because holy hell was it ever obvious when he was talking about any of that that he was describing something out of his own personal fantasy universe.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You know what was queer? The SS.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Lord of Hats posted:

So I’m sure that a bunch of it is because we’re just seeing it pointed out, and not as a blip in a sea of Too Much Content that he made stole, but I’m kind of surprised that he didn’t get previously called out for his extremely blatant Gay Nazi obsession. Because holy hell was it ever obvious when he was talking about any of that that he was describing something out of his own personal fantasy universe.

Is that why he had that terrible haircut

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

trucutru posted:

His latest video is (in part) him making fun of the idea that black people don't watch his stuff.

I mean I watched the video a couple days ago and the entire focus of his video is around the misconception that black men don't watch his stuff, not that black people don't...because weirdo black manosphere dudes are convinced that his audience is full of black women. That's like the whole video. The only exception is like 30 seconds a while in where he addresses the idea that non-black viewers make up a good amount of his viewership and him briefly explaining that this varies depending on what content he makes, so pop culture fluff like the AoT video has quite a lot vs anything about black culture or politics not so much (and pointing out that this is also some of his most successful content).

Weird comparison to make in the first place but trying to tie it in with his video is ridiculous.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I was referring to the part in his video where hbomb says someone in a uber just copy paster his joke on twitter.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Grassy Knowles posted:

i hear about stardew, harvest moon, and animal crossing all the time and never any other farming sim games. is it a far more robust genre than that?

after Stardew Valley became a massive hit there's been a lot of new entries in the genre. some feel like cheap knock-offs but others are pretty beefy in their own right. The "My Time at" games (Portia/Sandrock) seem to be the more successful, but those are more geared towards mining and crafting than farming. There's plenty of smaller titles worth playing if "grow plant, be gay" is a rewarding loop for you. there's the Life Sims thread in Video Games if you want some recs

e:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is that why he had that terrible haircut
pretty sure that was a "it'll make me look slimmer" thing. like yeah the fash cut involves having your sides shaved, it doesn't involve looking like loving earthworm jim

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 5, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

He’s like Oda of YouTube.

I’m in the middle of the video and goddamn this poo poo owns hbomb. 5/5

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

no idea who this "ace couple" is (i'm presuming has nothing to do with the "ace family" youtube channel) but goddamn he called the police on people for being impolite to him lol.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I enjoyed the subtle way of saying " Look, I know the UK is a minefield in regards to defamation law, but I have already taken the steps of making a video talking to my lawyer pal about these things. Don't get any funny ideas."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

trucutru posted:

His latest video is (in part) him making fun of the idea that black people don't watch his stuff.

Did you actually watch the video, or did you see the title and get mad?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Somerton having enough of an audience he was making over 200k a year between Patreon and YouTube blows my mind because his delivery is poo poo and boring.

It makes more sense when you realize that his audience was likely a lot of younger people, and definitely very online people, who didn't really do any research on the topics he covered and just kind of trusted that he'd created all of the words and opinions he said because of how little he cited or even credited the sources he stole from. A lot of people thought this dude was a gay genius with just a ton of great points on things, and because he had all those good points stolen from better and smarter authors they assumed he was also right about the really stupid and wild bullshit he invented out of his rear end like sexy gay nazis and straight, white, women hounding him everywhere saying gay anime wasn't gay.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Nuebot posted:

It makes more sense when you realize that his audience was likely a lot of younger people, and definitely very online people, who didn't really do any research on the topics he covered and just kind of trusted that he'd created all of the words and opinions he said because of how little he cited or even credited the sources he stole from. A lot of people thought this dude was a gay genius with just a ton of great points on things, and because he had all those good points stolen from better and smarter authors they assumed he was also right about the really stupid and wild bullshit he invented out of his rear end like sexy gay nazis and straight, white, women hounding him everywhere saying gay anime wasn't gay.

Yeah, I can see it easy to buy into his videos if you're younger and/or less knowledgeable on the subjects of his various videos, especially when the confirmation bias of "he's saying things that align with my general worldview so probably everything he's saying is at least in the right ballpark" combined with the rampant plagiarism. His poo poo falls apart so, so quickly once it's a topic in which you're well-versed, like the video game vid for me or the litany of people who immediately knew exactly how much he cribbed from The Celluloid Closet.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I'm glad Somerton never tried to do a video on Disco Elysium.

Though I'm morbidly curious at how he'd gently caress it up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If someone is speaking confidently and authoritatively, it can be very easy to believe them unless you have a specific reason to distrust them or unless you have your own knowledge on the topic that contradicts theirs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

xeria posted:

Funnily enough, just saw that verilybitchie released a podcast episode on their patreon about Somerton ripping off their queer rep in gaming vid.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/james...ntent=join_link

Haha the comparison video includes a clip where he uses Mass Effect to show how limited queer choices are for women versus men and still gets poo poo wrong.

"There are a whopping FIVE biseuxal or lesbian choices for women."

Diana Allers in the top right corner is not a "real" romance, she straight up says this is a short fling and she's not looking for long-term commitments.

Samara in the bottom right is not a "real" romance option, either. You can only have a one-night stand with her and only if you are a super goody two-shoes. If you're counting her you might as well count the asrai you can have one-off sex with in 1.

Liara, Samantha, and Kelly (who only "counts" for romance achievement purposes in 3) are the only 3 choices.

"Next to one bisexual romancable man."

Completely ignoring Steve Cortez, the only homo guy option.

Of all the poo poo you can say about the way Mass Effect and Bioware treated romances and sexuality, it's amazing to see a fuckup this basic.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If someone is speaking confidently and authoritatively, it can be very easy to believe them unless you have a specific reason to distrust them or unless you have your own knowledge on the topic that contradicts theirs.

it doesn't even have to be someone, just something, as chatgpt has demonstrsted

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Nuns with Guns posted:

Of all the poo poo you can say about the way Mass Effect and Bioware treated romances and sexuality, it's amazing to see a fuckup this basic.

Yeah, there's probably an entire series of video essays that could be made about the history of romances and sexuality in Bioware games going all the way back to, like, Baldur's Gate 2 but boy that first screenshot is extremely "I googled 'queer romance options for female Shepard' and didn't bother to further interrogate the results", especially if he included Traynor there and not Cortez in the next slide. If he played Mass Effect at all, he probably just romanced Alenko and didn't realize there was another option in ME3, and didn't even bother with another cursory google to confirm prior to publishing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tbh Mass Effect IS pretty particularly lovely if you're a gay dude Shep, you get one minor character gay romance with Cortez and one party member gay romance across the whole first three games, then it's just Kaidan again and it's all the way in the late parts of ME3. I did a playthrough of them with legendary edition not long ago and it felt really weird noticing it like, everyone else gets at least something here and there, gay male Shep feels like they forgot that could happen.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
im still catching up on the thread but hbomberguy repeated basically everything ive said about ads for the past years that would make this thread incandescent with rage. which means now ppl are going to be forced to agree with me thru gritted teeth. heh heh