Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lobster shirt posted:

i dont get it

thank u for supporting the boycott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

i dont get it

Miami GTAs are the worst because they’re always too flat

Israel is flattening Gaza

Think about it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Literally true though

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Israel is flattening Gaza

Think about it

they workshopped the level design with Tom Friedman

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Liberation_Blk/status/1732226541671547229?t=0L4olRMpwoAeuT74S1qnvA&s=19

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

I'm too burger to know what this is about, someone explain it to me as I drink my coke and buy healthy insurance

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

tokin opposition posted:

I'm too burger to know what this is about, someone explain it to me as I drink my coke and buy healthy insurance
Venezuela has claimed like 70% of neighboring country Guyana, backed by a referendum. The bit they're trying to grab is full of oil.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm sure that the indigenous nations were consulted and they all gave their approval to be part of guyana, tho

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

It's fun to see the libs dusting off their dormant expertise on century old territorial disputes in South America, as they have done with Ukraine, Palestine, and Taiwan.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

want to be essequibo brothers with Maduro

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Venezuela has claimed like 70% of neighboring country Guyana, backed by a referendum. The bit they're trying to grab is full of oil.

This characterization is hardly fair. It's a long standing territorial dispute.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

all of that dude's vocal fans are 15 year old nazis from r/4chan, it's no wonder they aren't paying attention in English class

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Weka posted:

This characterization is hardly fair. It's a long standing territorial dispute.
Well, they only seem to push it when someone mentions natural resources, whether gold or oil. Extremely dishonorable people, not like the Argentinians who go to war for a big useless rock.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, they only seem to push it when someone mentions natural resources, whether gold or oil. Extremely dishonorable people, not like the Argentinians who go to war for a big useless rock.

the British started work on stealing the land since the 1800s. in 1899 a gaggle of whites decided Venezuela didn't get to keep its own territory. in 1949 the horse trading the British did to steal the territory was made public, so in 1966 the British spun off its colony to launder its theft as decolonization.

it worked on uneducated people like you🥰

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

uninterrupted posted:

the British started work on stealing the land since the 1800s. in 1899 a gaggle of whites decided Venezuela didn't get to keep its own territory. in 1949 the horse trading the British did to steal the territory was made public, so in 1966 the British spun off its colony to launder its theft as decolonization.

it worked on uneducated people like you🥰
the brits are irrelevant to modern day guyana, seeing as the country is like 0.3% white, those largely being of portuguese descent. guyana is functionally an indo-african state, with 40% of the population being the descendants of indentured servants, and 50% being the descendants of slaves, the remainder belonging to various indigenous groups. even if a crime was carried out in creating guyana, which is basically a given when the brits are involved, the people living there are the primary victims and should be the only consideration when it comes to the current territory.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i believe the point of contention here is that this particular region was never legitimately a part of guyana in the first place

also whenever the brits voluntarily decolonized a place they always made sure to leave their compradors in charge, hth

my bony fealty posted:

want to be essequibo brothers with Maduro

essequibros stand up

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 09:18 on Dec 8, 2023

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the brits are irrelevant to modern day guyana, seeing as the country is like 0.3% white, those largely being of portuguese descent. guyana is functionally an indo-african state, with 40% of the population being the descendants of indentured servants, and 50% being the descendants of slaves, the remainder belonging to various indigenous groups. even if a crime was carried out in creating guyana, which is basically a given when the brits are involved, the people living there are the primary victims and should be the only consideration when it comes to the current territory.

naw if i steal your house and fill it with 40% of the population being the descendants of indentured servants, and 50% being the descendants of slaves, the remainder belonging to various indigenous groups, its still your house that was stolen from you

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
from what i've read this current flareup in the territorial dispute is that guyana decided to have ICJ decide who that land belongs to without consulting the other side about it

considering how ICJ is beholden to regimes that are quite hostile to current venezuelan govt, it's not very hard to understand why they don't want that to happen

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

from what i've read this current flareup in the territorial dispute is that guyana decided to have ICJ decide who that land belongs to without consulting the other side about it

Lol it's the SCS playbook

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Guyana bases their claim on British imperialism, Venezuela on Spanish imperialism. But seeing as it is oil, and therefore the enemy of the climate it should be returned to the sea or whatever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The vince mcmahon meme but daniel plainview

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I say we give Guyana to Israel. Just to see what happens.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

now do the us of a and its indigenous population

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

uninterrupted posted:

naw if i steal your house and fill it with 40% of the population being the descendants of indentured servants, and 50% being the descendants of slaves, the remainder belonging to various indigenous groups, its still your house that was stolen from you
this poo poo doesn't work when it's talking about national budgets, and it doesn't work here. countries aren't people.

Truga posted:

considering how ICJ is beholden to regimes that are quite hostile to current venezuelan govt, it's not very hard to understand why they don't want that to happen
venezuela signed the agreement that's the basis for sending it to the ICJ though, and venezuela has also taken the initiative on the subject before. guyana is not doing anything sneaky here. i mean, it's even doing it on the basis of something venezuela is doing, rather than deciding out of the blue to take it to the ICJ. though even if it wasn't, the fact that the only possible loser in this dispute is guyana makes it perfectly sensible that guyana gets to attempt to settle the dispute. like, it's a far more important issue to guyana than it is to venezuela.

christmas boots posted:

Guyana bases their claim on British imperialism, Venezuela on Spanish imperialism. But seeing as it is oil, and therefore the enemy of the climate it should be returned to the sea or whatever.
the oil is already in the sea

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

venezuela signed the agreement that's the basis for sending it to the ICJ though, and venezuela has also taken the initiative on the subject before.

they literally did not:

https://peacemaker.un.org/sites/peacemaker.un.org/files/GB-VE_660217_Agreement%20to%20Resolve%20Controversy%20over%20Frontier%20British%20Guiana.pdf posted:

A Mixed Commission shall be established with the task of seeking satisfactory solutions for the practical settlement of the controversy between Venezuela and the United Kingdom which has arisen as the result of the Venezuelan contention that the Arbitral Award of 1899 about the frontier between British Guiana and Venezuela is null and void.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm Guyanese actor Michael Douglas

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

uninterrupted posted:

they literally did not:
you appear to be quoting the agreement i'm referring to

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

you appear to be quoting the agreement i'm referring to

where does it mention the ICJ?

sending it to a group dominated by the same powers that originally stole the land from Venezuela is p unreasonable

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

uninterrupted posted:

where does it mention the ICJ?

sending it to a group dominated by the same powers that originally stole the land from Venezuela is p unreasonable
The agreement was registered with the UN, the ICJ is one of the organs of the UN. An organ made to decide disputes between states.

That said, the most sensible solution seems to be a Good Friday Agreement-esque solution for the territory, where both Venezuela and the territory in question gets to hold a plebiscite on the topic of whether it should be joined to Venezuela.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

And the sanitation workers call "More loving junk". I don't count it as "reading 100 books a year" if you're counting the books you started, said the hell with this, and set free in a farm upstate.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i dont think anyone is obligated to finish a book they started but you dont get to say you read it unless you read the whole thimg

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

For added context Tyler Cowen is one of the dumbest columnists in American media. Just pig ignorant on everything and with maximum arrogance and not even in an original way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

uninterrupted posted:

This is the proper take

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

i feel uncomfortable saying i read a book if i listened to the audiobook

i can't imagine getting through the preface then leaving a greasy copy of some Austrian school drivel on a park bench, and calling that experience "reading"

also holy poo poo that dude also published an article saying Francis bacon opposed the printing press, complete with obviously ChatGPT-ed fake references and quotes: https://web.archive.org/web/2023030...th-century.html

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

uninterrupted posted:

i feel uncomfortable saying i read a book if i listened to the audiobook

Don't! Cigarette rollers in the 19th century used to pay somebody to come in and read novels to them while they worked. English families sat together while somebody (often the father) read out loud, anything from sermons to Dickens. Listening to a whole book = reading it.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don't! Cigarette rollers in the 19th century used to pay somebody to come in and read novels to them while they worked. English families sat together while somebody (often the father) read out loud, anything from sermons to Dickens. Listening to a whole book = reading it.

The fact that there's a long history of doing it doesn't mean it's equivalent to reading.

A big part of reading is that you dwell on each sentence - even each word - for as long as you need to process it. When the book is being read for you, that doesn't happen, the next sentence is incoming whether you're done with the prior sentence or not. This makes such a big difference that I'd call them fundamentally different activities, although they're both valuable, meaningful ways to engage with text

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what I've done with the last couple of audiobooks I've read is that if I get to a particularly good bit, I pause it, wait until I get home, open up the ebook, and then take a highlighter to the passage so I have a record to remember it by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

what I've done with the last couple of audiobooks I've read is that if I get to a particularly good bit, I pause it, wait until I get home, open up the ebook, and then take a highlighter to the passage so I have a record to remember it by

I wanted to do this for so many parts of Wretched of the Earth. goddamn ip making audiobooks and the text thereof have to live in entirely different universes.

there's no reason I shouldn't be able to hit a bookmark button while listening and have references to that part of the ebook saved